Best Use Of Fiber Optics In Downtown ...

Best Use Of Fiber Optics In Downtown Vallejo ???

Created by Anonymous on Apr 23, 2014

57 votes

Click on an option to vote

Government Agencies

High Technology Business

24/7 Financial Business

Arts & Entertainment Business

PDA Residential Housing

MMD & Healthcare Business

Food & Beverage Business

All Of The Above

None Of The Above

Need More Information

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#1 Apr 23, 2014
Didn't Councilman Robert McConnell at last night's Council meeting refer to the fact that downtown Vallejo has a huge underground fiber optic network that was left to us by the US Navy... totally unused and left sitting there all this time? And that at the Council goal-setting session at Cal Maritime a few weeks ago, the Council stated there that they want fiber optics to be primary in terms of economics and revenue for the City? So how does "arts and entertainment" do that? Is "arts and entertainment" dominating the downtown the best economic use of this gift horse to the city by the Feds? Does this so-called "Art Walk" and other activities center around The Hub make use of this high tech infrastructure gift horse? OR is the most appropriate business types to take advantage of this fiber optic gift horse in downtown Vallejo more like the kind of businesses you find in Silicon Valley and SF Financial District?
Jim in SF

San Jose, CA

#2 Apr 23, 2014
I'm not aware of the Navy fiber but a few decades ago Vallejo invested in laying fiber throughout the town. Many of the traffic lights in town (not all) are connected to these fiber optic cables. These infrastructure cables run back to 555 Santa Clara st. where there is a server that runs the traffic light software. There is additional capacity on the fiber which presents opportunity for sure. I believe the fiber is multi-mode type and if so this is a data centric type fiber and not optimized for video transmission. Lets hope I'm wrong about that. Get confirmation on the type of fiber, single mode or multi mode and then you can brainstorm possible uses.
Annoymous

Vallejo, CA

#3 Apr 23, 2014
Jim in SF wrote:
I'm not aware of the Navy fiber but a few decades ago Vallejo invested in laying fiber throughout the town. Many of the traffic lights in town (not all) are connected to these fiber optic cables. These infrastructure cables run back to 555 Santa Clara st. where there is a server that runs the traffic light software. There is additional capacity on the fiber which presents opportunity for sure. I believe the fiber is multi-mode type and if so this is a data centric type fiber and not optimized for video transmission. Lets hope I'm wrong about that. Get confirmation on the type of fiber, single mode or multi mode and then you can brainstorm possible uses.
And for us non technies, what is the precise difference between the single and the multi mode fiber so that we can proceed to brainstorm?
gimmie gimmie gimmie

Vallejo, CA

#4 Apr 23, 2014
WHY the continued waste of resources downtown ? take off the rose colored pimp shades and take a good look at the ghetto called downtown .
Port parrot

Vacaville, CA

#5 Apr 23, 2014
Yes, there is a gold mine buried underground in the form of a high speed state of the art fiber optic network! It was put in the ground through a federal grant to synchronize traffic signals. Every traffic signal is connected to this fiber optic network. Not only is there fiber under the side walks, there is conduit to pull additional fiber! The city is in the unique position of becoming a public utility that can provide high speed communications. By that I mean the COV could be a public utility that could sell bandwidth (e.g. High speed internet access at Gigabyte speeds faster that what is available from Comcast and AT&T at a 1/3 of the cost), cable and telephone. The possibilities are endless. The city could connect every public building, hospital, school and library. The city could provide wifi throughout the city. Every city surveillance camera could be on this network. Every water meter and water value could be on this network. Every low income household could be supplied with affordable high speed internet. Most importantly, technology companies could access high speed internet at a fraction of the cost, in terms of high speed bandwidth and rents, then is available in SF and Silicon Valley. If you don't believe me, look at what the cities of San Leandro and Santa Monica are doing with fiber!
We Are Anon

Vallejo, CA

#6 Apr 23, 2014
gimmie gimmie gimmie wrote:
WHY the continued waste of resources downtown ? take off the rose colored pimp shades and take a good look at the ghetto called downtown .
Step one. Eliminate ALL section 8 downtown. Step 2. Reduce section 8 to 15% city wide. Step 3. Eliminate (not expand) the homeless and felon re-entry programs proposed for downtown. Step 4 reduce (not expand) the homeless and felon re-entry programs city wide. Step 5. If the Council were smart they would tap into the fiber optic cable left over from the Navy. We could be the Walmart of fiber optic and undercut everyone on the price. That would attract high tech business to Vallejo because of the reduced cost.

But call me a pessimist because I doubt the council has the intelligence or foresight to make these excellent ideas happen. So much potential here in Vallejo, yet too many out for myself vultures running the show!!!!!
revenue Parrot

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Apr 23, 2014
LOL!
There is a new council majority, maybe they will do what Erin Hannigan failed to do with the homeless.

(t)urd enragement!
Jim in SF

San Jose, CA

#8 Apr 23, 2014
Annoymous wrote:
<quoted text>
And for us non technies, what is the precise difference between the single and the multi mode fiber so that we can proceed to brainstorm?
The single mode fiber can send signals farther without expensive repeaters (amplifiers to boost the signal). Multi mode fiber would need the repeaters every 2000 feet or so. If there is unused single mode available from point A to point B, the costs to use it would be cheaper. If it needs amplification along the way then it may be cost prohibitive. Just guess work at this point but the author of the post might be motivated to talk to the city IT people.
Whitey McKrackin

Napa, CA

#9 Apr 23, 2014
If it's in the ground it's multimode fiber, no way anyone (even Vallejo) was dumb enough to pull single mode fiber in the recent past. The only way the fiber is of any use is if there is a ring or loop and enough pairs in that loop, if it was pulled in to service the stop lights I doubt there is much backbone left for EBH.
Duh

Vallejo, CA

#10 Apr 23, 2014
We could string up all of our city government with it!(of course I kid you sick mfers).

Sell downtown buildings cheap, host Google data centers and rake in the fees.
Whitey McKrackin

Napa, CA

#11 Apr 23, 2014
Duh wrote:
We could string up all of our city government with it!(of course I kid you sick mfers).
Sell downtown buildings cheap, host Google data centers and rake in the fees.
If there is truly a fiber backbone ring they should hire a dark fiber management company to market the dark fiber, the City makes money and they protect their resource by having someone who knows what they're doing manage it.
Port parrot

Vacaville, CA

#12 Apr 23, 2014
That is exactly what you don't want to do. The city needs to own and control the whole thing!

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#13 Apr 24, 2014
We Are Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Step one. Eliminate ALL section 8 downtown. Step 2. Reduce section 8 to 15% city wide. Step 3. Eliminate (not expand) the homeless and felon re-entry programs proposed for downtown. Step 4 reduce (not expand) the homeless and felon re-entry programs city wide. Step 5. If the Council were smart they would tap into the fiber optic cable left over from the Navy. We could be the Walmart of fiber optic and undercut everyone on the price. That would attract high tech business to Vallejo because of the reduced cost.
But call me a pessimist because I doubt the council has the intelligence or foresight to make these excellent ideas happen. So much potential here in Vallejo, yet too many out for myself vultures running the show!!!!!
I like this myself or something close, very well thought out. Question, and I am not being snarky but humble and asking How to do this now? Is it the counsil, charter, city manager, initiative or props or federal government that could change these levels?
Who or which agency ultimately could make this happen?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Please lets keep it civil and positive and not dwell on the past.
Whitey McKrackin

Napa, CA

#14 Apr 24, 2014
Port parrot wrote:
That is exactly what you don't want to do. The city needs to own and control the whole thing!
It's a management company to manage the dark fiber, they're not selling the network. Never mind, it's Vallejo and their elected officials, I'm sure they'll do a great job.
Jim in SF

San Jose, CA

#15 Apr 24, 2014
It may turn out that the network of fiber will not offer us high speed or high capacity for data. If that turns out to be true it may still be possible to leverage fiber for things like a downtown music festival, an Empress music show that is sent down to the water front lawn on big screens, stuff like that. It will all depend on the willingness of the city manager, the IT department and the city maintenance people along with volunteers to embrace the effort.
We Are Anon

Vallejo, CA

#16 Apr 24, 2014
truthlibrertyandjustice2 wrote:
<quoted text>I like this myself or something close, very well thought out. Question, and I am not being snarky but humble and asking How to do this now? Is it the counsil, charter, city manager, initiative or props or federal government that could change these levels?
Who or which agency ultimately could make this happen?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Please lets keep it civil and positive and not dwell on the past.
I think it is all agency's across the board that can make this happen. The City Council, Vallejo Housing Authority, planning department, etc. The problem is there are too many members in each department/agency/council who has their livelihood tied into the state Vallejo is in now and refuse to change it. We would need all new people in our city government. Sounds dreamy but its true.
Port parrot

Vacaville, CA

#17 Apr 25, 2014
Hidden in Plain Sight

Vallejo, strategically located at the convergence of the Sacramento, Napa River and San Pablo Bay with easy access to Highway 80 and the Southern Pacific Rail Road, should adopt a strategy for building a municipal fiber optic network that would serve the needs of the community.

15 years ago the City of Vallejo was awarded a grant for an intelligent traffic system that resulted in a vast network of fiber optic cables through out the City. Hidden in plain sight is a network of fiber that most cities
would have to make an expensive investment in infrastructure to duplicate. Given the speed of light in fiber(186,000 mi/sec), a traveler would circus-navigate the equator approximately 7.5 times in one second. In one millisecond, light would travel the entire length of the fiber network in Vallejo several times in roughly a 100th of the time it takes you to blink your eyes, if you blink as fast as you can.(A millisecond is one thousandth of a second.)

With the completion of the fiber network in 2004, Vallejo has inadvertently created a Telecommunications Master Plan that might be seen as one of the most successful "dig once" policies in the United States. It is not merely the fact that fiber is already in the ground as much as the installation of conduit that allows additional fiber to be run to increase capacity.(90 percent of the cost of laying fiber is tearing up streets and sidewalks.)

The cost of building out the network can be paid for largely by savings generated by discontinuing expensive leased lines and a combination of grants for municipal fiber. The city should begin with a modest investment ($500,000) to connect municipal facilities, the School District, Touro University, Solano Community College and CMA with city-owned fiber offering much higher capacity connections than previously available. The City would realize 100s of thousands in savings in the first year and ultimately in 100s of thousands if not millions in ongoing revenue. The
city should reinvest those savings and revenues to expand the network across the city. This approach would allow Vallejo to build a vast fiber optic network without issuing debt. The Plan should encourage the laying of plenty of extra fiber, so when high tech companies ask the City for access to its fiber, Vallejo can oblige.

As more businesses request access, i.e. Kaiser and the CHP call center, a city fiber network can develop various ways to meet these needs. It can lease dark fiber to businesses that want it, including other carriers that want to connect their customers. Vallejo could also aggregate the demand of multiple subscribers with needs between 100 Mbps and 10 Gbps in order to give discounted rates. Finally, the City could provide access to a number of low-income housing units in a pilot program.

Leasing fiber to other service providers and providing services to local businesses would result in millions in revenue for the City General fund. Businesses would be able to lower their costs by having high capacity
connections, retaining and generating jobs in the community and keeping the office vacancy rate far below those of nearby communities.

The accumulated savings could fund many public amenities, including free WiFi through out the City. In addition to synchronizing all the traffic signals in the City, the addition of video cameras on the network would assist public safety, and drivers would have several ways of getting real-time parking information. The telecommunications services the City could make available (telephone, cable and broadband) to local residents and/or business would have a profoundly positive impact on the General Fund and do much to enhance Vallejo as a "digital" destination!
Annoymous

Vallejo, CA

#18 Apr 25, 2014
Port parrot is right. This would be one instance where the city should hire a consultant who knows this stuff. Otherwise, it could be a disaster or more missed opportunities. Council and select members of the planning commission were very right to move this item to the top of the goal setting selection this time. Regardless of where you line up politically, this might be the shot in the arm this city so greatly needs. We can all hope for the best on this one.
Jim in SF

Vallejo, CA

#20 Apr 26, 2014
The enthusiasm is great, I hope the city can put something together. My recommendation is to take on a very small step to get started. You don't need to spend a million dollars in consultants. Why don't we let the PB folks take up the issue and see if people vote to fund a project. How about providing free wireless Internet in a specific zone downtown. Along Georgia in the Farmers market area, on Virginia st. or down along the waterfront. Let the IT people down at 555 take on the project management if PB funds become available. Reach out to volunteers, solicit donations from the retailers in the zone. Start small, the network of the exiting fiber and the layout is more than likely not set up for huge data movement. A city wide data network will cost in the tens of millions of dollars.
Anon

Vallejo, CA

#21 Apr 26, 2014
Who needs fiber optics and high tech industries when we can get self storage.

It is great to have a City Council majority who still understands cronyism. They will never do anything that doesn't benefit their friends more than the taxpayers

The only thing the Jump Starters will bring to Vallejo is bankruptcy Why are you wasting your time on silly dreams??????.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frank Malifrando: Making Vallejo a festival hot... 39 min Let Me Be Blunt 13
Liat Meitzenheimer COME ON DOWN You're the next... (Sep '13) 2 hr Sam Kurshan 39
Verder-Aliga questions lack of hyphen 2 hr Let Me Be Blunt 8
Diohep out as Vallejo's economic development ma... 3 hr Port Parrot 3
Sen. Barbara Boxer bursts into song on 'farewel... 5 hr box o rocks 3
"Voices of Vallejo" keeps community in the dark 7 hr Annoumous 33
Bob Sampayan is Pearsall & Gomes Dog on a Gravy... 7 hr rat like tony 5

Martinez Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinez Mortgages