Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

New firehouse-based reality show filming its pilot episode in Vallejo
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_2297...

Is it a cooking contest, a travelogue or a day-in-the-life-of-a-firefight er show? Creator, executive producer and host of Firehouse Kitchen, Steve Sprague, says it's all those things, and its pilot program features Vallejo.

"It's a cooking competition that travels the country, highlighting firehouse chefs, fire departments and the cities they serve," said Sprague, a Sacramento area paramedic who teaches advanced life support to medical personal. He's also a former firefighter, a stand-up comic and a self-described "foodie."

Sprague says the show's concept marries all his passions to create what he hopes will be the next big reality show hit. He's kicking it off in Vallejo because he said he's old friends with one of the Vallejo Fire Department's best cooks.

"Matt Choy is an old friend. We started in the fire service the same day, in Davis," Sprague said.

Choy will compete against Vallejo Firefighter James Brunson, for bragging rights in the pilot episode. The men work in different fire stations. They will both create a chicken dish, to be judged by the crew of yet another fire station to avoid any bias, Brunson said.

"You live in the firehouse when you're working, and you gotta eat, so, someone's gotta cook," said Brunson, whose pizza recently won a firefighter cooking contest in San Francisco to benefit the Firefighters Foundation.

Though all firefighter crew members must share cooking responsibilities, it's not everyone's long suit, Sprague said.

"There are firefighters who just order pizza, who burn water, and others who could be professional chefs. I was one of the ones who enjoyed it," he said.

Sprague and Brunson agree that featuring Vallejo in the show is a good thing for the department and the city.

"It's exciting and a great time to come in and highlight some great things at the Vallejo Fire Department." Sprague said. "Vallejo's is a traditional fire department, they have a great reputation in the fire service."

Vallejo firefighters need a diverse skill set, he said.

"They deal with structure fires, they protect universities, freeways, an amusement park, industry, lots of old buildings, waterways, everything," Sprague said. "These guys work. It's a place with a lot of traditions, a lot of history, a lot of unique and interesting calls."

Brunson, 48, a Vallejo native and resident, said he's happy the show will highlight some of the city's positive attributes and answer some questions and seem to nag at some residents.

"People ask us all the time, what we're doing in the supermarket with the truck, and why are we all there together, like we're wasting taxpayer money," he said. "But we need to be together as a crew and have the truck if an emergency call comes in. The show will show that."

He said many people don't get the whole picture of a firefighter's life, "like, they think the city pays for our food, and that's not so, we pay for our own food."

The 27-year department veteran said he learned to love cooking as a child and enjoys doing it at work and at home with his wife and five children.

Sprague, 43, said he actually sold the show's concept to a network six years ago, just before the economy tanked, taking the idea with it. He recently picked it back up and several networks have expressed interest in the program,he said.
anon

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

The Vallejo Fire Department does what the VIB could not, bring Hollywood to Vallejo. Maybe Garmin can get an introduction to a show exec and pitch the idea of a "Steam Punk conflabrasortium" reality show. The Pearsall/Sampayan team along with Better Valejo can pitch a Ho Hunters reality show? Wow! The possibilities!
WheresHollywoodJ oeNow

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

"People ask us all the time, what we're doing in the supermarket with the truck, and why are we all there together, like we're wasting taxpayer money," he said. "But we need to be together as a crew and have the truck if an emergency call comes in. The show will show that."
The fervent critics of the public safety professions used this jab quite a bit, or claimed they were laid up in the station playing video games or polishing the trucks, always on the attack after Schivley's War was declared.
Not any more, good job VFD!
Whitey McKrackin

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Sad.... someone is bringing something positive to Vallejo and you people can't see far enough past your hate filled eyes to appreciate it. Believe it or not there is more to this world than VIB, as a matter of fact it is not even on the radar of 99% of the populas .

“Here's a interesting thought..”

Since: May 12

Vallejo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

5 to 1 Sammy shows up to try to get free food and his fa face on TV. Just like he disrupted Schivley's press con.
GEE

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

In general I am all fed up with the concept of Reality Shows; however I like the idea of this reality.
Daily cooking and providing is fulfilling....and I heard some of the best food comes out of Fire Houses country wide!

I can see it now:
The cook in a little frilly make belief apron (for comic relief) standing next to the table and observing the plated results of his efforts as his hungry crew is approaching and taking their seats.
Dang nabit, the alarm sounds and off they go, leaving the carefully prepared meal.

Random phone call to the public:
Hello, yes, I would be happy to come over and share a meal, I'll be right there. Now how would that be for REALITY JUDGING?

Good Luck VFD, cook realistic and healthy meals that can be replicated, skip the Abalone though :-)
Whitey McKrackin

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Gee... haha, that last line was played well my friend
Professor Fido

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Casper the internet ghost wrote:
5 to 1 Sammy shows up to try to get free food and his fa face on TV. Just like he disrupted Schivley's press con.
Why don't you offer to give him a ride?
Whitey McKrackin

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Professor Fido wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you offer to give him a ride?
Seats were just cleaned? Permit for transporting hazardous solids and gas? He was not invited? He's working under uncle Bucks desk?
GEE

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

All in jest! Thanks for appreciating a small amount of humor.

Not to reduce the efforts and good news sharing of the upcoming Reality Show ......

Just read an article with the caption "6 dead in China from Virus" about (unfortunately with photos) the H7N9-Virus eradication "efforts" by China.

I am surprised that our country along with other civilized nations is not appalled at the attempt to contain the following:

It shows workers with small masks (like the little pleated light blue jobs anyone can buy at the store) but no gloves, squatting on concrete flooring in a sea of dead geese and chicken. It appears they are in the process of removing feathers and gutting the fowl. Guts and standing blood between their sandaled feet and the naked fleshy remains of the fowl heaped before them.

I can see a massive upcoming sale of "Peking Duck".... Oh lordy....

There is only one reason to separate feathers and guts from fowl, re-use feathers for filling of cushions/bedding etc. and use the now naked and gutless carcass for further consumption, the guts could become dog or cat food.

I will not comment any further about this action, because anyone ever having to slaughter and separate will know that hygiene is of the utmost importance when handling food for consumption.

It is very possible that these now dead creatures were not really at the core of the most recent outbreak, but if introduced into the food chain they will undoubtedly give somebody somewhere a sever case of the trots (if the person is lucky)!

If this is an attempt by China at averting a catastrophic event, humanity will lose this fight.

As another example, I recently shopped at Costco and as is my custom I read the labels of the items I "may" purchase. A large bag of intriguingly looking frozen mixed veggies caught my eye. To my surprise the *Product of* statement listed China, Thailand and Vietnam as place of origin.

What? I am living on the edge of the most fertile and diverse produce belt in the world and I am offered for purchase a product coming from THE most seriously polluted and poisoned areas of the world?

I really take issue with Costco's statement that the items are grown to their specific standards, but ... the ground they are growing in is my concern and who is handling IT before it comes to market.

I happen to like Costco, but am deeply disappointed that they sell product, not just produce but fish/prawns also, originating from countries that are not trust worthy in how they grow, raise and market their product.

Sorry about my rant, but I hope our local fire fighters are also reading labels and use local fresh produce when at all possible!

Vallejo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Whitey McKrackin wrote:
<quoted text>
Seats were just cleaned? Permit for transporting hazardous solids and gas? He was not invited? He's working under uncle Bucks desk?
You got that right Whitey. My God, the cost of the haz-mat permit would be astronomical. Then the pilot cars because of the WIDE load not to mention the cost of the gasmask filters because of his fumes.........
tony the stoner

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Casper the internet ghost wrote:
<quoted text>You got that right Whitey. My God, the cost of the haz-mat permit would be astronomical. Then the pilot cars because of the WIDE load not to mention the cost of the gasmask filters because of his fumes.........
and the cost of a driver because you are too drunk and stoned to do the job.
anon

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

GEE wrote:
All in jest! Thanks for appreciating a small amount of humor.
Not to reduce the efforts and good news sharing of the upcoming Reality Show ......
Just read an article with the caption "6 dead in China from Virus" about (unfortunately with photos) the H7N9-Virus eradication "efforts" by China.
I am surprised that our country along with other civilized nations is not appalled at the attempt to contain the following:
It shows workers with small masks (like the little pleated light blue jobs anyone can buy at the store) but no gloves, squatting on concrete flooring in a sea of dead geese and chicken. It appears they are in the process of removing feathers and gutting the fowl. Guts and standing blood between their sandaled feet and the naked fleshy remains of the fowl heaped before them.
I can see a massive upcoming sale of "Peking Duck".... Oh lordy....
There is only one reason to separate feathers and guts from fowl, re-use feathers for filling of cushions/bedding etc. and use the now naked and gutless carcass for further consumption, the guts could become dog or cat food.
I will not comment any further about this action, because anyone ever having to slaughter and separate will know that hygiene is of the utmost importance when handling food for consumption.
It is very possible that these now dead creatures were not really at the core of the most recent outbreak, but if introduced into the food chain they will undoubtedly give somebody somewhere a sever case of the trots (if the person is lucky)!
If this is an attempt by China at averting a catastrophic event, humanity will lose this fight.
As another example, I recently shopped at Costco and as is my custom I read the labels of the items I "may" purchase. A large bag of intriguingly looking frozen mixed veggies caught my eye. To my surprise the *Product of* statement listed China, Thailand and Vietnam as place of origin.
What? I am living on the edge of the most fertile and diverse produce belt in the world and I am offered for purchase a product coming from THE most seriously polluted and poisoned areas of the world?
I really take issue with Costco's statement that the items are grown to their specific standards, but ... the ground they are growing in is my concern and who is handling IT before it comes to market.
I happen to like Costco, but am deeply disappointed that they sell product, not just produce but fish/prawns also, originating from countries that are not trust worthy in how they grow, raise and market their product.
Sorry about my rant, but I hope our local fire fighters are also reading labels and use local fresh produce when at all possible!
Call the food police and make sure the chicken used for this dish on the show meets Gee's standards! Whatever they buy and however they cook it I would bet they are in better shape and healthier than 99% of their critics
anon

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Whitey McKrackin wrote:
Sad.... someone is bringing something positive to Vallejo and you people can't see far enough past your hate filled eyes to appreciate it. Believe it or not there is more to this world than VIB, as a matter of fact it is not even on the radar of 99% of the populas .
Exactly who is bringing something positive to Vallejo?

Vallejo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

tony the stoner wrote:
<quoted text>and the cost of a driver because you are too drunk and stoned to do the job.
there's my little tuna fish, nibble nibble. lol
GEE

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Call the food police and make sure the chicken used for this dish on the show meets Gee's standards! Whatever they buy and however they cook it I would bet they are in better shape and healthier than 99% of their critics
What is your problem? I have not mentioned anything close to OUR firefighter Chefs having to use chicken from select sources. They can eat whatever they want and I bet it would meet my standards every time.
UYNWARH!
Whitey McKrackin

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly who is bringing something positive to Vallejo?
I bet you've uttered these words many times, " reading is for idiots" .
anon

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

GEE wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your problem? I have not mentioned anything close to OUR firefighter Chefs having to use chicken from select sources. They can eat whatever they want and I bet it would meet my standards every time.
UYNWARH!
Did you bother to read the article?

"Choy will compete against Vallejo Firefighter James Brunson, for bragging rights in the pilot episode. The men work in different fire stations. They will both create a chicken dish, to be judged by the crew of yet another fire station to avoid any bias, Brunson said."

Probably will not be "free range" chickens? Minimum standard will be a Foster Farms chicken?

Meet "your" standards? Who cares about "your" standards? The FF's should base the competition on the best way to prepare abalone. You have an abalone standard? Free range abalone? Ripped from its shell in a humane manner abalone?

I say good for the FF's and lemons to the critics.
anon

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Whitey McKrackin wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you've uttered these words many times, " reading is for idiots" .
You are so petty. You are great for innuendo. Happy to criticize by name. Just cannot put PS and a compliment together in the same sentence. You are as much a dweeb as there is in the VIB circle of trust.
Whitey McKrackin

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Swaaaaaaaa wheat.... I'm in the secluded VIB circle of trust and I don't even read that website.
BTW... your lack of reading or reading comprehension was not a compliment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Martinez News Video

•••
•••

Martinez Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Martinez People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE