the new kroger
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
shopper

Monterey, TN

#1 Oct 25, 2011
It looks like Martin has lost out again ,is it true some business has blocked another business from coming to Martin. I would really like whatever business that has done this ,to voice their reasonings behind this ,,,,,,,,we need a Kroger here ,I am not trying to put anyone else out of business ,a little competetion PLEASE .
yep

Monterey, TN

#2 Oct 25, 2011
You can thank EW James for that.
Martin Resident

Martin, TN

#3 Oct 25, 2011
I agree, Martin needs a Kroger. I have to go to Paducah or Jackson to Kroger which is not convenient plus I'm paying taxes to those cities. I shop at EW James and Save-A-Lot but I also like Kroger. I do not care to grocery shop at Walmart. I hear EW James is building a new store near Van's Pharmacy. Why not build a Kroger next to it?
yep

Monterey, TN

#4 Oct 25, 2011
That is the thing. Both Kroger and EW James have no competition clauses. Kroger was going to build next to the new Vans and EW James blocked them.
Just saying

Monterey, TN

#5 Oct 25, 2011
Kroger has a pharmacy. Wonder who blocked?
yep

Monterey, TN

#6 Oct 26, 2011
Probably got double blocked by EW and Vans. I know Van's blocked the Walgreens they tried to put in across from First Baptist a couple of years ago.

United States

#7 Oct 26, 2011
Martin is too damn small for a Kroger. Dream on.
Martin Resident

Martin, TN

#8 Oct 26, 2011
Negative people get nothing. Be positive and our city may grown.....and don't forget to through in a few curse words....that always helps.....NOTHING!!!
store mgr

Monterey, TN

#9 Oct 26, 2011
kroger turned it down! didnt want to compete with wall mart. e w had nothing to do with it
Sad

United States

#10 Oct 26, 2011
A college town with nothing to speak of! Wanna see a successful college town? Check out Murray! Nice restaurants, as well as plenty of shopping. These businesses provide much needed jobs to the community as well as to the students. i am a member of the Martin community and waant it to grow, but the old hats in town will never let it happen, might cost them a penny or two! Yes, Murray and Martin started out as about the same size in students and now, as they grow, we flounder. So to all the old money in town, quit worrying about your businesses may lose and think about all the propert you can sell. Hell, rip some outsiders off for a change, and leave us citizens alone. Bring us a descent restaurant or two, as well as a place to purchase some clothing. Is that asking too much?
Educated

Cookeville, TN

#11 Oct 26, 2011
Martin will never be like Murray until we have the support of the entire county. In Murray, its Murray-Calloway County. Calloway County is proud to have Murray State in their county. They support it. They support the hell out of it!

In Weakley County, those outside Martin detest the city of Martin. They detest the university.

Don't believe me? Our county commissioners recently tried to stop the new shopping complex from going forward by not voting for the tax abatement. Only the Martin and Dresden county commissioners passed it, luckily.

The next person they hire to be the Martin Community Development Director needs to have a sense of how to build a bridge between the city of Martin, UT Martin and the rest of Weakley County. Until that happens, you won't see progress.

I say this because in the summer, when the students leave, Martin has a population of about 4000 people. Without the rest of the county supporting business here, most Martin businesses can't survive the summer. That's why you won't see a Kroger in Martin.
SHOPPER

Union City, TN

#12 Oct 26, 2011
I can say one thing Mr Store manager.Kroger not wanting to compete with walmart is a pile of lies .everytown that has a kroger has a walmart , some have more than one and a Sams club too .I am going to investigate and will be the first to boycott any business in town that had anything to do with it.
Just my thought

United States

#13 Oct 26, 2011
Paris has a Kroger and a E.W. James and a Save-A-Lot and a Lakeway IGA and a Walmart... and they all seem to get along.
Frustrated Citizen

Martin, TN

#14 Oct 26, 2011
I do know for a fact that the only way Kroger would come to Martin is if E.W. James closed its doors. I was hoping for that to happen. The last time I went to E. W.'s I walked out. I have a decent job and make pretty a good salary, but I can't even afford their prices.
really

Union City, TN

#15 Oct 26, 2011
You'd think with the amount of food stamp usage in this area, the grocery business would be booming.
Agree

United States

#16 Oct 27, 2011
Totally agree with the fact that a college town had so little to offer. This town should be ashamed
Martin Resident

Martin, TN

#17 Oct 27, 2011
It's amazing how much influence some 'old hats' have over Martin. They want it all! GREED!!!! Martin and Murrray used to be about the same size. Good for Murray that people wanted their city to grow and it's so bad that Martin is setting idle with smaller towns around us growing. Dresden is growning....Milan, WOW! Someimes I don't understandy why students would want to to attend UTM since that is the best thing in Martin. How can this community speak up to get more businesses in Martin? We need help. Want to keep our money in martin instead of going to Paducah or Jackson.
Show Up

Cookeville, TN

#18 Oct 27, 2011
Martin Resident wrote:
It's amazing how much influence some 'old hats' have over Martin. They want it all! GREED!!!! Martin and Murrray used to be about the same size. Good for Murray that people wanted their city to grow and it's so bad that Martin is setting idle with smaller towns around us growing. Dresden is growning....Milan, WOW! Someimes I don't understandy why students would want to to attend UTM since that is the best thing in Martin. How can this community speak up to get more businesses in Martin? We need help. Want to keep our money in martin instead of going to Paducah or Jackson.
People get on here and complain about the "old hats". when is the last time anyone of you showed up to a city board meeting, county commission meeting? Just sit on here and moan and complain or be one that will show up and voice your opinion when you don't show up the "old hats" win because our elustrious elected officials listen to the "squeaky wheel" like the "old hats" CASE CLOSED!!!
clem

Cookeville, TN

#19 Oct 27, 2011
and who owns the land where they wanted to build? van! enuff said
shopper

Monterey, TN

#20 Oct 27, 2011
I willl gladly come to a town meeting ,I will speak,just let me know when it is ,,,,you will have to post it on facebook though,because if I want to continue to live in this town we have to have some new business ,,people are homeless and starving,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
QB Colin Kaepernick Will Not Stand For The Nati... 4 hr Pick and choose 4
What has happened to Opera House 12 hr Food Critic 33
ahahahaha this girl ashley crutchfield (Apr '14) 13 hr Guest 10
Fire at Dollar General Mon Rocky 21
Trump for President (Dec '15) Mon Vote For Real Change 112
Rental Homes Again Mon Guest too 4
Chicago shootings! Mon Enough 4

Martin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance