splash pad vs city pool
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mr phelps

Cookeville, TN

#82 Aug 28, 2012
The paper said the pool was loosing 35,000 per year to operate. That's not making money. My guess is that's the reason for closure of the city pool. Probably needed expensive maintenance also. That pool is over 30 years old.
i hear ya

United States

#83 Aug 28, 2012
Yeah that's what they wanted you to read. How else would the mayor get a raise. Let me guess blame it on the pool so I can close it to get more money. It looked to be in perfect shape all the times I went. Never heard anyone complain about the pool till this year when the mayor just had to have a raise in pay to sit in a chair all day and smile at people when they come in or when he is out politicing. Why did the city purchase a three or four million dollar city hall and remodel it to the mayor's desire. If the old city hall was so bad out of shape and needed a lot of work why is the police station still there and the city didn't condemn it
Martin citizen

Monterey, TN

#84 Aug 29, 2012
Went to the splash pad today with my Granddaughter. I couldn't believe all the traffic all around us. I sure hope no little child goes running away from a parent or Grandparent. A fence may not look nice but would be very practical before someone gets hurt or worse! If the city wanted something just pretty they should have put in a fountain. But this splash pad should have been given alot more thought on location and restrooms!
Soy Beanie

United States

#85 Aug 29, 2012
The pad was installed in a place that is very high traffic during the Soy Bean Festival. Isn't it located in front of the main stage area where everyone sets up with their own lawn chairs?
Yes but

United States

#86 Aug 29, 2012
It will be turned off durning the bean. Sure wish it was turned on some so the other people in different towns could see it and enjoy it.
mr phelps

Cookeville, TN

#88 Aug 29, 2012
no not true, the grant only paid half of it. a loan paid the other half!
sparky

Cookeville, TN

#89 Aug 29, 2012
lets think wrote:
The splash pad was paid for by grants. Not from taxpayers or anyone else
You are a classic idiot. Grants are tax money!
its a scam

United States

#90 Aug 30, 2012
How could the pool lose 30000 a year? That doesn't make any sense. And before you say its old, the old gunnite or concrete pools are the best made to last. The city workers had to go over there about the drain pipes many times but the good thing is, they were already getting paid to work so it shouldn't have been extra expense.
Interested

Martin, TN

#91 Aug 30, 2012
If they had raised the entyr fee by $1.00 per person that would have paid for the repairs itself. So many people enjoyed the pool. it was a refreshing place to go for enjoyment and exercise. Who wants to go inside and swim and not enjoy the sunshine in water that is way too deep for some kids starting to swim?
jmho

Martin, TN

#92 Aug 30, 2012
I think it's a little too late for this discussion. It should have taken place "before" the pool was closed. It was in the paper many times before being voted on.
Things will change when the "People" of the City of Martin start attending the Town Meetings and making known their opinion on Everything regarding the City of Martin such as 1) The Pool 2) Jobs 3)City Leaders.
Small Town America is disappearing right in front of our eyes and all we can do is correct someones spelling or talk about the MILFS in Martin Tn. Sad, what we've become. It's time to start talking about our smalltown's "Before" changes and make our voices be heard.
This is our children's future people. Weakley & Obion Co are 2nd highest in Unemployment in the State of Tennessee. We need to discuss more than a Splash Pad, and Yes, sad, the City Pool will no longer be open.
agree

United States

#93 Aug 31, 2012
Too little too late!
jones

United States

#94 Aug 31, 2012
jmho wrote:
I think it's a little too late for this discussion. It should have taken place "before" the pool was closed. It was in the paper many times before being voted on.
Things will change when the "People" of the City of Martin start attending the Town Meetings and making known their opinion on Everything regarding the City of Martin such as 1) The Pool 2) Jobs 3)City Leaders.
Small Town America is disappearing right in front of our eyes and all we can do is correct someones spelling or talk about the MILFS in Martin Tn. Sad, what we've become. It's time to start talking about our smalltown's "Before" changes and make our voices be heard.
This is our children's future people. Weakley & Obion Co are 2nd highest in Unemployment in the State of Tennessee. We need to discuss more than a Splash Pad, and Yes, sad, the City Pool will no longer be open.
well said and yes very true thank you. If more people would stand up I think things would be different. Sitting back and waiting to get mad after the fact is not gonna solve anything. PEOPLE all we have to do is stand up let's be heard.
Yes but

United States

#95 Aug 31, 2012
The city needs to really advertise what they are meeting about.
Everyone

United States

#96 Aug 31, 2012
Does not get the newspaper!
Soooo

United States

#97 Aug 31, 2012
Call and ask when the meetings are
No one special

Cookeville, TN

#98 Aug 31, 2012
The city board meetings are held EVERY month on the same day and at the same time. There is no secret about when they are held. If you don't get the paper check online - I am sure the city website states when the meetings are. If you don't have internet connection at home, go to the library. Or as someone suggested, simply call city hall. Everyone always has an excuse about why they don't know, why they didn't or couldn't go, why they can't get involved. Stop blaming someone or something else and just DO IT!

the city doesn't need to ADVERTISE what the meetings are about. It is always printed in the paper under COMMUNITY as to when the meetings will occur and they always follow the same agenda - of course with different specifics within each agenda topic from month to month.
rogi

Cookeville, TN

#99 Sep 2, 2012
city pools are a thing of the past. over 100 private pools in the city of Martin now. liability is the big issue, as well as poor turn out.
lol

United States

#100 Sep 7, 2012
Hahsha laundry detergent works great especially in the south fulton comcrete water fountain hahaha

Union City, TN

#101 Sep 7, 2012
I saw a girl fall and bust her ass on that slick pea gravel concrete on that splash pad at the soybean festival on Thursday night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have You Heard Of The Schumer Shutdown ??? 1 hr Guest63 12
Someone Needs To Tell The Democrats That Just S... 1 hr Guest63 8
The Democrats Schumer Shutdown Truth 1 hr Guest63 17
Democrats Are Dysfunctional for America 1 hr Guest63 21
Texts Between Peter Strzok and Lisa Page Proof ... 1 hr Guest63 6
Reporters Praise Trump For Allowing Press To Wi... 1 hr Guest63 32
Who's cheating? 2 hr jehovahcordell 8

Martin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance