Drugs and Middle school kids

Posted in the Martin Forum

concerned parent

AOL

#1 Feb 28, 2008
How can this be going on at this young age? and in Martin, of all places? You hear about this in Memphis, jackson, etc..but not here...This is horrible
Oh Please

Monterey, TN

#2 Feb 28, 2008
You have got to be kidding! I cannot believe how eyes are blinded and minds are so closed in this town, this county. Where are the parents? Where is the true concern and care from the school board and administrators? You have got to open your eyes, parents, and your minds to Weakley County's school system. If you care about your children, you had better start looking into how this school system and it's so-called administrators run these schools. Please, oh please.
small town cop

AOL

#3 Feb 28, 2008
You've only heard a small part of this story so far. It involves a list of 31 kids, and urine drug tests were done today on the 31 kids.
small town cop

AOL

#4 Feb 28, 2008
This story isnt fully out. There are 31 kids on the "list" of suspected involvement. Today, they all underwent urine drug tests. I predict enrollment down at MMS next year.
small town cop

Watertown, TN

#5 Feb 28, 2008
31 kids on the list that supposidly used it. Urine tests done today. I expect a drop in enrollment at that school
Head in the Sand

Monterey, TN

#6 Feb 29, 2008
I would like to hear the actual story!
The children have been given the "don't discuss" rule for fear of rumours when it does nothing but cause fear amongst the students and parents. You have to address a problem outloud to work on a fix. The elephant in the room needs to be ackowledged the very least a note to parents with the facts of what happened or *gasp* through an invitation to a special assembly. Instead of using our officers to police parents in the parking lot at 3 pm perhaps inviting the police in for some real work would help. I bet the police in Martin are not surprised and would probably be happy to come in and do a Q and A about the reality of drugs in this town. I understand not naming the children, they are juveniles. Telling the students they are not allowed to discuss this is ludacris. The majority of students make good choices, respect them for that and allow them to have the information to contune making right choices. If any administrators are reading this.....get out of your office. You have the opportunity here to pull parents and students into the school for discussion/education. Students listening to morning announcements on the PA is not enough invovlement on any issue, certainly not one as paramount as drugs affecting this large of a group. This clearly blows the lid off the idea drug use is "isolated" in Weakley Schools as so many administrators want parents to believe. Your kids will tell you different. The schools fear of the media involvment by reporting this story could have been averted had the ones in charge kept the parents informed as well as the students. If the principal truly had no idea this was happening and this stuff has been happening for years then it is time to find a more interested administration. Yes, those students will be expelled however, throwing them out for a year is only going to make examples of 13 year olds?? This is a community wide problem that needs real solutions, not an isolated event. I have "heard" it involved mostly 8th graders which will hurt the high school enrollment for next year which causes funding problems which affects all the students. It would be kind of nice for the powers-that-be to let us in how it will effect our school system and what plans are in place to prevent. I would also like to know what criteria was used in determing which students are tested and which ones are not. It reads to me... pricipals discretion upon suspicion. How many people know of the students smoking pot?? I have heard of many in middle school and a whole lot of high school. Is this enough suspicion to drug test?? Again, not near enough communication is happening here. Administration chooses to look the other way. If by chance a random drug test took out a sports team watch the town get some answers then. We all have got to do better.
Parent

Cookeville, TN

#7 Mar 2, 2008
Will any of this information on the investigation be in the local newspapers so we parents can be somewhat informed? Most likely not if Barber has anything to say about it. What is he talking about a "partnership" with parents? There is NO communication with we parents much less a "partnership"!!
mouse

Cookeville, TN

#8 Mar 2, 2008
If you drug test all of the sports teams in weakley county there would not be any teams as at least 65 % of the team members including cheer leaders are doing some type of drugs,smoking or drinki9ng in a big way, the school officials do not want to know or they going to supend the children that belong to their freinds. That is just part of county doings. even the so call resource officers know who to tag and who not to mess with. the schools made such of a fuss about how much better the children would be with the resource officers in the schools,and all the resource officers is doing is picking out who to harrass,and set in the office and drink coffee, has anyony tried to go into the front doors of westview I tried and the doors was locked from the inside.I thought nat holmes would stay on top of the problems at the middle school better than this,but I guess he has his orders from headquarters,this just adds to the problems of the director of schools,and the school board.
Gremlin

AOL

#9 Mar 5, 2008
Did anyone notice there hasnt been a word from our fearless leader, Mr. superintendant?
anonymous

Martin, TN

#10 Mar 6, 2008
concerned parent wrote:
How can this be going on at this young age? and in Martin, of all places? You hear about this in Memphis, jackson, etc..but not here...This is horrible
This has been going on "here" for years and years. I graduated in 94. There were kids using drugs, drinking, and having sex in junior high then and way before. Parents need to open their eyes and keep a better watch over their kids. And some need to quit partying with their kids, too.
Another Parent

Monterey, TN

#11 Mar 6, 2008
Have you all read this weeks news articles in The Dresden Enterprise and Weakley County Press? A common theme is stated from Barber and Benson. This happens "everywhere". It happens in other schools, other counties, states and all over the country.
So, tell me, just because its "everywhere" is that an excuse for the Directors of schools and administration to make light of their responsibility right here. NOT EVERYWHERE else!
I agree, parents are number one in watching their children and taking care of them but, next should be the responsibility of the school administration. Why? Because they have our children in THEIR care most of the children's waking hours of the day.
It's high time Barber and his admin take responsibility and show leadership in care, concerns, morals, and most of all safety and health of our children while they are in YOUR care Weakley County School District.
Partners? Who? Where? and just exactly When? Not between this school district's admin and the parents. Admin does as they please and most everyone seems to keep their mouths shut because YOU won't listen.
Lorna Benson not only mentions this problem is EVERYWHERE but she states there is planning for a "Parents Night Out" session. I'm guessing for the sake of "partnership". I'll be watching for this very informative, responsible "Parents Night Out". Thank you very much.
info

Martin, TN

#12 Mar 18, 2008
This is the first I've heard of the "Parents Night Out" session. Any idea when it's going to happen?
Another Parent

Cookeville, TN

#13 Mar 18, 2008
All I know to do is to call the central school office in Dresden and ask about the parents night out session. Or, maybe call Martin Middle. Probably the central office and ask for Lorna Benson would be the better of the two options. I read this in the Weakley County Press around the time this investigation started. Maybe somebody at the Press will have some info.
Whos Who

Monterey, TN

#14 May 14, 2008
There is a community meeting next week some time about the middle school and the candy bowl drugs.
Call and ask the one who knows all the answers, Lorna Benson.
Simply Sharon

Monterey, TN

#15 May 14, 2008
Simply SHaron
Franklin, TN Reply
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#22 Yesterday
Mold and Mycotoxins, Disease and Death! Yes, mold toxicity is REAL. Please educate yourself on the dangers of MOLD. Our children need a SAFE, LEARNING environment. I applaude the young adults for making a stand. MOLD is a SERIOUS health issue and needs to be brought to the forefront. Allergy=suppressed immune system, how does one become allergic in the first place? My body was BEAT upon by mycotoxins. My family and I suffered greatly and NO ONE LISTENED. I am sounding the trumpet now and serve as a MOLD ACTIVIST! See our family story in our mold book IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.
We are at www.moldmadness.com
KEEP PUSHING MARTIN! You are doing the right thing. After remediation be sure and get TEST RESULTS!!
Simply Sharon ~ the mold lady
MAY 15-17th 2008 !!UPCOMING INTERNET TALK RADIO SHOW ON MOLD and HEALTH HAZZARDS see www.nims.org
Sophomore at Westview

Martin, TN

#16 Aug 27, 2012
Wow just wow. How do you expect to keep kids in line when you let them ride Around with kids you know are probably trouble. Use your mind parents, where do they get these drugs and alchol from? Certainly not from the pharmacy or liquor stores, no from your medicine and liquor cabinet. Lock that shit up and stop posting shit on topix and do something about it!
Dirrty sprite

Cookeville, TN

#17 Aug 30, 2012
heard so,meone is selling dirty sprites at westview

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next Chief of Martin 3 hr Martin Proud 1
Fox News was voted America's most Trusted Network (Jul '14) 3 hr food for thought 75
Who Murdered Putins Top Critic? 4 hr Wondering 1
Hey Al Gore where is that global warming? (Jul '14) 4 hr Just Common Sense 61
Confidential Resource Needed...for real 5 hr Gyno 2
* MTD, United Way, and Abortions 8 hr guest 5
State Representative Andy Holt's Pig Farm Scandal 10 hr read between lines 10
Martin Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Martin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]