Nothing is going on so why the high g...

Nothing is going on so why the high gas prices???

Posted in the Martin Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Julie

Troy, TN

#1 Aug 7, 2012
OH Yeah the Big Oil Companys want to make Billions!

Jackson, TN

#2 Aug 7, 2012
Nope it's all controlled by government
Freedom

Orlando, FL

#3 Aug 7, 2012
bend over,
welcome to America.

Since: Jun 12

United States

#4 Aug 7, 2012
guest wrote:
Nope it's all controlled by government
No it is not controled by the government. George Bush gave oil futures and made it a marketable item for walstreet. Years back their excuse was there wasnt enough refineries in the us. Well guess what, they are going to shut down two seperate refineries in the not so distant future. Its corporate greed at its worst! Nothing more, nothing less.
My My

Newbern, TN

#5 Aug 8, 2012
If you think things are bad now, just wait till they change social security and medicare!! Many folks don't have the extra money to save for retirement right now.
When those changes are forced upon us, we're going to be in deep dodo.
We need a third party to run in this country. We should have listened to Ross Perot when he was running as an alternative to the right & left. Our jobs would be in the United States right now if we had listened to him and what he said about NAFTA.

United States

#6 Aug 8, 2012
My My wrote:
If you think things are bad now, just wait till they change social security and medicare!! Many folks don't have the extra money to save for retirement right now.
When those changes are forced upon us, we're going to be in deep dodo.
We need a third party to run in this country. We should have listened to Ross Perot when he was running as an alternative to the right & left. Our jobs would be in the United States right now if we had listened to him and what he said about NAFTA.
I have to dissagree with you on that. I find it very difficult to believe that someone, referring to ross perot, who had the majority of his business and as well as his sons transfered to over seas locations. No, it would have either been just as bad or possibly worse. The social security and medicare however are in danger of being stripped down to where proper health care, the kind that obama claims it will be will provide a health care system that will have more victims of ineffective health care than patients who are benifiting from the unbiased medical care that we are to believe we will have. Social securtiy, well its paying for health care for those who are illegally in and working in the united states. Ironic huh, that the ones that have never paid taxes in their life are sucking the fund dry. Thanks obama! U idiot!
sheepherder

Martin, TN

#7 Aug 9, 2012
Oil prices are driven by commodities traders. Price is driven up or down based on reports and speculation.

Because most of you can't be bothered to read the news (OMG Dancing with the Stars is on !!), you may not have known about the massive Chevron Refinery fire on the West Coast.

Reduced refining capacity means less gasoline for consumers. Any time you reduce supply while demand remains steady, you have a price increase.
Julie

Troy, TN

#8 Aug 9, 2012
HUMMMMM Has anyone seen a shortage of gasoline at these High Prices? Looks like they want to sell all they can at these prices to make their BILLIONS IN PROFITS. Oh did I mention their TAX BREAKS? Check it out -- google oil company profits.
agree

Martin, TN

#9 Aug 9, 2012
I agree with sheepherder. I also agree we have no shortage of gas. We need laws to prevent price gouging. Gas should be about a 1.50 a gallon or less. Its called American Greed. Prices should not be allowed to be raised due to speculation. If we had a gas shortages somewhere someplace we would drive in to get gas and there would be signs on the door saying out of gas. So far, I have not seen that but one time in my lifetime. It occured because we had a bad Ice storm just north of our town and there was no power for days. People drove south in droves because they could not get gas out of the ground in their towns. Then locals stormed the gas stations in fear that all the gas would be gone. Well a few stations did run out. It was temporary and lasted all of two days. It occured because they were filling their tanks and gas cans to run generators and the locals who were going no where and had power went into panic mode and ran out to fill their cars when they did not even need gas. Things will never change in this country until we take it back. We are the consumer. We could refuse to buy foregin goods, we could refuse to pay for gas and just stay home and protest gas stations every time it went over two bucks but it would require us not to be lazy and just sit around and complain. If every time gas went over two bucks a gallon if every American would park their cars, refuse to go to work and stand out in their street with a sign demanding lower prices it wouldnt take long for some changes to happen. Nobody will do it though and everyone just wants to sit around and complain. Over 75 percent of the people in this country have never written a congressman one time 50 plus percent dont even know who their congressman is. People are just too lazy and too comfortable to really care when it gets right down to it. Just complaining about it is enough for them.

United States

#10 Aug 9, 2012
sheepherder wrote:
Oil prices are driven by commodities traders. Price is driven up or down based on reports and speculation.
Because most of you can't be bothered to read the news (OMG Dancing with the Stars is on !!), you may not have known about the massive Chevron Refinery fire on the West Coast.
Reduced refining capacity means less gasoline for consumers. Any time you reduce supply while demand remains steady, you have a price increase.
Some of us are aware of that but are you aware that they already have plans to shut down two refineries in the us in the near future? The united states government actually believes that the middle eastern countries as well as the south american oil producing countries will run out one day soon. they may very well do run out but it wont be soon. The untied States wants to sit on all the oil and save it for a rainy day instead of putting it on the market to help the american people. They are just waiting for all the other countries to run out then they will have all that is left. Now can you picture a scarier senario? The government of the united states of america, as corrupt as it is,being able to control the majority of the fuel supplies in the world. If the end time that are told about in revelations hasnt happened by then, well, I'm sure that will usher in the end times. Everyone likes to believe that just because the US stands behind " gods chosen people" the iseralites, then we cant be behind the anti christ. Well we will see. I apologize for giving the religious angle on this, I'm sure all of you athiests and agnostics are all in an uproar now. Next thing ya know they will be holding prayer in schools and leaving the words "under god" in the pledge of allegiance....lol..that was sarcasm in case some you couldnt tell.
yeeeep

Monterey, TN

#11 Aug 9, 2012
CORN it didn't produce no corn no ethanol no ethanol high gas prices .... And or screwed up government
craftlady

Orlando, FL

#12 Aug 9, 2012
If the goverment would step in and put a cap on fuel prices we would not be in this shape but too many officials would lose too much money in stock and contributions from oil companies. we have plenty of oil and so does Canada why not use ours and tell those greedy SOB to stick it where the sun don't shine. they will have to lower prices or sit on a lot of oil because I'm sure we are one of their biggest consumers. Thanks Obama for not standing up for the working class americans. You know the stupid ones that put you in office, the ones that now regret it.Grow a pair and do something for us little people instead of all the illegals.
lol

United States

#13 Aug 9, 2012
They shut down two refineries up north cause of bad parts in that need to be fixed and the ones shipped to them was damaged as well. And there is a gas line ruptured in Colorado That deals with oil. Besides they made enough over the last five years price gouging. U can't tell me if they can lower gas to two fifty for a week and make and not make tons of money . Then jump it up to almost four dollars. To make a killing. We could boycott for a week and not put a dent in their pockets
sheepherder

Martin, TN

#14 Aug 9, 2012
Julie wrote:
HUMMMMM Has anyone seen a shortage of gasoline at these High Prices? Looks like they want to sell all they can at these prices to make their BILLIONS IN PROFITS. Oh did I mention their TAX BREAKS? Check it out -- google oil company profits.
Their tax breaks are not what people would lead you to believe. They (the supposed tax breaks) make a great diversion during election time. It's easy to villify oil companies or the rich or the healthcare providers, and so on and so on.

Sure they get tax breaks, but we're talking a miniscule amount when compared to other industries.

You bothered to look at tax breaks for solar panel manufacturers? Or ethanol production facilities? Or the auto industry? These breaks are on the orders of magnitude higher than anything the oil industry sees.

Furthermore, and like I said before, OIL is a globally traded commodity. Refiners do NOT set the price of oil or gasoline. They are GLOBALLY traded.

Secondly, if you have to blame somebody for high gas, look no further than your federal government. Nearly 50cents of every gallon is a tax. Add that to the ethanol mandate which requires all blends to use a minimum of 10% ethanol per gallon...ethanol is made from corn, a commodity that has suffered over the last three years resulting in record-high corn prices. Then ask why, when gas is so high, our government refused to open Canadian pipelines and has shut down refineries in the US.
sheepherder

Martin, TN

#15 Aug 9, 2012
agree wrote:
I agree with sheepherder. I also agree we have no shortage of gas. We need laws to prevent price gouging. Gas should be about a 1.50 a gallon or less. Its called American Greed. Prices should not be allowed to be raised due to speculation. If we had a gas shortages somewhere someplace we would drive in to get gas and there would be signs on the door saying out of gas. So far, I have not seen that but one time in my lifetime. It occured because we had a bad Ice storm just north of our town and there was no power for days. People drove south in droves because they could not get gas out of the ground in their towns. Then locals stormed the gas stations in fear that all the gas would be gone. Well a few stations did run out. It was temporary and lasted all of two days. It occured because they were filling their tanks and gas cans to run generators and the locals who were going no where and had power went into panic mode and ran out to fill their cars when they did not even need gas. Things will never change in this country until we take it back. We are the consumer. We could refuse to buy foregin goods, we could refuse to pay for gas and just stay home and protest gas stations every time it went over two bucks but it would require us not to be lazy and just sit around and complain. If every time gas went over two bucks a gallon if every American would park their cars, refuse to go to work and stand out in their street with a sign demanding lower prices it wouldnt take long for some changes to happen. Nobody will do it though and everyone just wants to sit around and complain. Over 75 percent of the people in this country have never written a congressman one time 50 plus percent dont even know who their congressman is. People are just too lazy and too comfortable to really care when it gets right down to it. Just complaining about it is enough for them.
The US has some of the lowest gas prices in the WORLD.

Look no further than the UK, whose gas prices are closer to $10/gallon. Want to know why they drive tiny little cars? there's your answer.

Government controlled petroleum doesn't work. Hugo Chavez tried it in Venezuela.
Mike

Troy, TN

#16 Aug 9, 2012
This isn't the UK and you sound like your Content with the Rising Gas Prices as long it not $10.00 a gal. There are 7 other countrys that has cheaper gas prices than the United States and we drill for oil here too. This is the USA we do things different over HERE.
U R A NUT

Martin, TN

#17 Aug 9, 2012
craftlady wrote:
If the goverment would step in and put a cap on fuel prices we would not be in this shape but too many officials would lose too much money in stock and contributions from oil companies. we have plenty of oil and so does Canada why not use ours and tell those greedy SOB to stick it where the sun don't shine. they will have to lower prices or sit on a lot of oil because I'm sure we are one of their biggest consumers. Thanks Obama for not standing up for the working class americans. You know the stupid ones that put you in office, the ones that now regret it.Grow a pair and do something for us little people instead of all the illegals.
Oil is a global market in which America is a big consumer but a small supplier. We consume about 20 percent of the world’s oil but hold only 2 percent of the oil reserves. That means we are, in economics jargon,“price takers.” Domestic production has increased during the Obama administration, but it has had minimal effects on global prices because, as producers, we are just too small to matter much. And even if domestic oil companies further increased production, they would sell to the highest global bidder
sheepherder

Martin, TN

#18 Aug 10, 2012
Mike wrote:
This isn't the UK and you sound like your Content with the Rising Gas Prices as long it not $10.00 a gal. There are 7 other countrys that has cheaper gas prices than the United States and we drill for oil here too. This is the USA we do things different over HERE.
High gas prices hurt my wallet just like everyone else's.

The difference is, I know why the prices are high as opposed to the wild speculation and the blame "big oil" so many others adhere to.

Knowing "why" is the first step to fixing high gas prices.

Profit margins for the 5 largest gasoline and oil refiners were on average 6% of every dollar. To put that in perspective, Apple's profit margin last year was closer to 23%, Microsoft's was ~22%, RJ Reynolds (tobacco) was nearly 20%...BUT I don't see anyone screaming at them to lower their prices or asking for the government to "price fix".

If you educate yourself on the topic, you can make informed decisions about how to address a problem.
Mike

Troy, TN

#19 Aug 10, 2012
Google "oil company profits" there is certainly a difference between Billions and Millions. Not everyone smokes and not everyone has a Iphone nor does an Ipad contribute to the cost of growing food.Thus there is no screaming.The lessen learned would be what effects the infrastructure of the magority and what that has to do with the American family.

United States

#20 Aug 11, 2012
Mike wrote:
Google "oil company profits" there is certainly a difference between Billions and Millions. Not everyone smokes and not everyone has a Iphone nor does an Ipad contribute to the cost of growing food.Thus there is no screaming.The lessen learned would be what effects the infrastructure of the magority and what that has to do with the American family.
I agree with you here. That other person is comparing apples to oranges...lol...talking about gas here, something that everyone needs to get by. There were before and will be again people who have such a hard time making an honest living that gas prices will get high enough to where some wont be able to afford the gas that takes to work so they can pay their monthly bills just to survive. Now thats a terrible thing. this person brings the tobacco cos apple cos like that is a good comparison to this problem at hand. Not even close people dont need cigarettes or cumputers to get them to work so they can survive. This person thinks that this should be ok for the ceos and major shareholders of big oil to get filthy rich at the cost of everyone else including single mothers who are working and trying to hold a family together. In my opinion this is a prime example of pure greed that has gotten out of hand. saying that we have cheap gas compared to other nations, well i believe petrol is 8 dollars a gal in england or close to it. Yeah we may be cheaper than some but its a long shot from us paying much less like some of the opec nations people have to pay. I know there are many rich people in those opec nations but many poverty level as well. a couple of those countries the people pay less than a dollar a gallon. But then again they have pipelines running through their neighborhoods and well located every where. Gas doesnt need to be as high as it is. The reason it is is simply like i said earlier...greed that has gotten out of hand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Keeps Carrier Jobs In America!!! 16 min Yokuutsu 24
Trumps daughter and son-in-law moving to Washin... 1 hr REALLY 1
* CRYBABY Liberals....... 22 hr vote Bernie 30
W C M T swap shop (Mar '11) Sun Dirk McGurk 18
Caleb Tuck (Oct '12) Sun the Golden Rule 31
Who is this man (Aug '11) Dec 3 Outof tips 11
Haley Dec 1 Mee 3

Martin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance