dress code in schools

dress code in schools

Posted in the Martin Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Live and let live

Paris, TN

#1 Mar 10, 2010
Is there any way we can stop the propoesed dress code in the county schools? I think it is overboard. The director waits until his kids are out of school to make these changes. I think thats ridiculous. The tucked in button-up shirt with a "brown or black belt" is going too far. What are you thinking about this?
bestmanwins

Monterey, TN

#2 Mar 10, 2010
sounds like a great idea
puts all the kids on a level playing field
it wont solve all the problems but will solve that one.
Kids will go to school looking like kids instead of a freak show.
geez
going too far

Paris, TN

#3 Mar 10, 2010
khakis and polos are fine, but buttoned up to your neck is a freak show. i pay taxes to support PUBLIC schools. if i wanted my kids to look like weirdos, i would pay extra and send them to a private school.
good for the goose

Paris, TN

#4 Mar 10, 2010
Let the teachers dress the same way. If that was mandated, I bet the would sh*t down their leg.
Coochie Brown

United States

#5 Mar 10, 2010
it's lame.
Wise up

Allons, TN

#6 Mar 11, 2010
bestmanwins wrote:
sounds like a great idea
puts all the kids on a level playing field
it wont solve all the problems but will solve that one.
Kids will go to school looking like kids instead of a freak show.
geez
Sounds like a bad idea. Doesn't level the playing field for anyone. The children and parents who have money will spend it on all the designer accessories that aren't included in the uniform dress code. It's a proven fact. There will still be those that wear their D & G belts, designer shoes, Vera Bradley and Coach purses, etc. Even the uniforms come in expensive and less expensive versions. In any society there will always be haves and have nots. Those that have will continue to distinguish themselves. Wise up, sir.
Wise up

Allons, TN

#7 Mar 11, 2010
bestmanwins wrote:
sounds like a great idea
puts all the kids on a level playing field
it wont solve all the problems but will solve that one.
Kids will go to school looking like kids instead of a freak show.
geez
The "freak show" argument is invalid. All schools already have a dress code in place. If a student is wearing something distracting or inappropriate, simply enforce the current rules.
former student

Martin, TN

#8 Mar 11, 2010
Wise up wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a bad idea. Doesn't level the playing field for anyone. The children and parents who have money will spend it on all the designer accessories that aren't included in the uniform dress code. It's a proven fact. There will still be those that wear their D & G belts, designer shoes, Vera Bradley and Coach purses, etc. Even the uniforms come in expensive and less expensive versions. In any society there will always be haves and have nots. Those that have will continue to distinguish themselves. Wise up, sir.
That is very true. It will still be apparent who has money and who does not. I think the tucked in shirts is a bit overboard. They are just gonna end up with other problems on their hands. Think of how often lower grade teachers are gonna have to help little ones tuck in their shirts. geeze. Polos would be fine. My biggest issues with what people wore when I was in school was the pants. There were always those girls that thought their pants needed to be low rise enough and their shirt short enough that when they sat down everyone behind them could see what underwear they had on that day. Then there are the guys with baggy pants that want everyone to see their too. I just dont get it. Dress codes are not always bad but they dont solve all the social class problems that people glorify them to solve.
Guy

Union City, TN

#9 Mar 11, 2010
Why not give it a try for year? If the dress code causes that big a problem, repeal it and continue on like always.
Mom

Knoxville, TN

#10 Mar 11, 2010
DRESS CODE Informational Meeting
@ Martin Middle School Theater
March 22, 2010 6:00 p.m :

Mr. Holmes will host an open meeting for parents to
discuss the proposed dress code for students for the 2010-2011 academic year. This will not be a question and answer session, but a chance to hear the proposed dress code and provide feedback that Mr. Holmes can then share with Mr. Randy Frazier,
Director of Schools.
westtnmom

Winona, MS

#11 Mar 11, 2010
I agree that the teachers need to be required to follow the same dress code as the students...My daughter has told me for a couple of years now about some of the younger teachers at Westview that dress more like go-go dancers than teachers...My daughter dresses modestly, but she's not a prude and if she's offended by how some of these teachers dress, I'd say its worth addressing...

The dress code for the students; well, its been expected for a while...I disagree with how specific it is, but I'm not shocked by it...If the dress code is passed, we'll live through it...However, if the teachers are continued to strut their stuff in their short skirts and high leg boots, then I have a problem...They should lead by example, not by rubbing the teens noses in how they 'cant' dress...
Student

Knoxville, TN

#12 Mar 11, 2010
Speaking as someone who goes to one of the schools that will be switching to uniforms, I can honestly say that this entire 'dress code' matter is entirely useless. If the teachers and principals of the schools would only enforce the current dress code instead of simply looking the other way, we wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

In my opinion it's the teacher's faults for not enforcing the school rules well enough. Why punish the entire school populace for the mishaps of a few derelect students?
parent

Eddyville, KY

#13 Mar 12, 2010
My daughter goes to Dresden High School. At the beginning of her freshman year a female teacher told them that no low-cut shirts would be allowed and then held her hand up to her chest to demonstrate how high the shirts could be. Her own hand was well above her shirt line. It was ridiculous.
another parent

Monterey, TN

#14 Mar 12, 2010
I agree the teachers should have to follow the dress code as well. My child comes home telling me about the way several of the teachers at the middle school. I have seen exactly what they are talking about. TIGHT clothing, short dresses with knee boots, things that draw attention to their bodies when they have a school full of walking hormones that they are suppose to be setting an example for.

I to agree that if the school would enforce the dress code that is in place now there would not be a problem. They are afraid to do so because of those parents that feel their kids should be able to EXPRESS themselves. Well all of us parents need to teach our kids that life is not fair. There will always be someone with more money, more material things than they have. There will always be rules to follow that they may not agree with but rules are there for a reason.

Enforcement needs to start at home, then Mr Holms needs to man up and enforce it every morning as the kids walk thru the doors. So what if 50 kids a day get sent home. They will eventually realize that Mr Holms will not tolerate abusing the dress code
Wise up

Allons, TN

#15 Mar 12, 2010
Guy wrote:
Why not give it a try for year? If the dress code causes that big a problem, repeal it and continue on like always.
Because it would be like instituting a new tax on a trial basis. Once you have it, it will never go away or be repealed.
bestmanwins

Monterey, TN

#16 Mar 12, 2010
Wise up wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a bad idea. Doesn't level the playing field for anyone. The children and parents who have money will spend it on all the designer accessories that aren't included in the uniform dress code. It's a proven fact. There will still be those that wear their D & G belts, designer shoes, Vera Bradley and Coach purses, etc. Even the uniforms come in expensive and less expensive versions. In any society there will always be haves and have nots. Those that have will continue to distinguish themselves. Wise up, sir.
everyone wears the same generic uniform,,,,,geez
nothing hard about that.
most work places have a dress code,,,,,even wal mart,,,,tan pants and blue top,,,ask someone that work there
ie nurses, policemen, fireman, pilots, and a lot of places have work uniforms,,,,,,thats the real world
Wise up

Allons, TN

#17 Mar 13, 2010
bestmanwins wrote:
<quoted text>
everyone wears the same generic uniform,,,,,geez
nothing hard about that.
most work places have a dress code,,,,,even wal mart,,,,tan pants and blue top,,,ask someone that work there
ie nurses, policemen, fireman, pilots, and a lot of places have work uniforms,,,,,,thats the real world
The "real world" as you call it, are all the things I mentioned in my previous post about why it doesn't level the playing field. Say "hello" to Dorothy and the Tin Man for me while you are in the Land of Oz.
bestmanwins

Cookeville, TN

#18 Mar 13, 2010
Wise up wrote:
<quoted text>
The "real world" as you call it, are all the things I mentioned in my previous post about why it doesn't level the playing field. Say "hello" to Dorothy and the Tin Man for me while you are in the Land of Oz.
you must not be old enough to remember when we actually had a responsible society. Its ashamed that we have so many iresponsibile people that we even have to entertain this type of dress code,,,,,,,but looks like it is nessary.
Beam me up Scotty,,,no form of intelligent here!
possum

AOL

#19 Mar 14, 2010
I agree with most. There already is a dress code, yet they come to school with their ass hanging out of their pants. The principal doesnt enforce the current dress code, so why make more rules. It comes back to the parents. You kid doesnt leave the house with sagin pants, long hair, etc..and they would be fine. why not try this idea: show up at the informal meeting, and pledge you will make sure your child goes to school looking like a student, not a gangster or a slut?
Wise up

Allons, TN

#20 Mar 15, 2010
Mom wrote:
DRESS CODE Informational Meeting
@ Martin Middle School Theater
March 22, 2010 6:00 p.m :
Mr. Holmes will host an open meeting for parents to
discuss the proposed dress code for students for the 2010-2011 academic year. This will not be a question and answer session, but a chance to hear the proposed dress code and provide feedback that Mr. Holmes can then share with Mr. Randy Frazier,
Director of Schools.
From what I read in Thursday's newspaper, it sounds like Frazier has already made up his mind. He listed all these bogus reasons to support a new dress code. It appears these public meetings are just a dog and pony show to prevent future criticism after they make their final decision. That way they can later say they gave the public a chance to make comments, even they know now what they are going to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Winter Storm Warning for Weakley County starti... 3 hr Guest63 4
Number of uninsured increased by 3 million unde... 3 hr Guest63 1
Trump Declared In Excellent Health With Perfect... 3 hr Guest63 3
Former Sec. Of Defense Chuck Hagel says... 3 hr Guest63 8
Just a thought 3 hr Guest63 68
I have a dream 3 hr Guest63 10
42% of Republicans believe accurate, but negati... 3 hr Guest63 3

Martin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martin Mortgages