Martin's First Baptist Church
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

United States

#22 Aug 25, 2012
Curious Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't live in Martin but I live in the area and I drive through Martin everyday going to and from work. My IPA comes up as Dyersburg but I don't get anywhere near Dyersburg on a daily basis.
I often hear that it is easier to build new than repair old - or it costs more to fix than to build new. However, if the building had been kept in good repair all along, there wouldn't be a need for a large cost to repair the building. I sometimes think that is an excuse - let the building fall into disrepair so people will think there is no other option than to replace it. It's different with a building that has already been abandoned they fall into disrepair and cost much more to return to an active use - but there are some people in some places that care enough to bring a building back to it's original glory. The argument that made the most sense to me here was the church has grown so much that a BIGGER sanctuary is needed. Fine - I can understand that - I just hope that as much as possible of the old sanctuary is reused in the new building and not thrown out like trash.
We honestly didn't have a choice. The interior of the walls were literally rotting and breaking down. We would have loved to restore our old building, but we didn't have much of an option. Our new building holds so many more people now. It is truly a beautiful building inside. Please stop by sometime. We would love to have you come worship with us!
Mandy

Cookeville, TN

#23 Sep 1, 2012
Think Before You Speak wrote:
Why come on here and dog a church like that? I personally do not think that God cares what the church building looks like as long as He is being lifted high and worshiped on the inside. The church is not the building, it is the people. Think about what some churches look like in places like Nicaragua and Africa. They have church inside their homes or in places that they built out of scrap metal. Do you think people look at it and laugh and make fun of it because of the way it looks?! First Baptist has grown greatly in population. They were having three services in the old building and every service was packed. They had no choice but to build something new and bigger. They have one service now and it is packed almost every Sunday. So next time, think before you post something like that. You should be building up your brothers and sisters in Christ, not trying to have a contest to see which church has the prettiest building!
And after two other church's build new one's , your church became to old to use, come on, I know Martin all to well. Monkey see monkey do, can't let them get ahead of us, grow up. A building has nothing to do with God, God is with us where ever we are, and I am not making fun of your church, it is a nice church, but it has no design and it is ugly from the street, stand in front of it and see what I see.
AnnPT

Atlanta, GA

#24 Feb 15, 2015
Mandy wrote:
I think that it is a shame they tore the old church down, My parents and family all went there, I now attend Central. What I think to be even worse is the looks of the place. They took a beautiful church and tore it down, and built a building that is awful looking. Come on people, it is just plain ugly. Everyone has laughed at it/ And why stick office building up there to cover that mess. PLEASE build something that looks like a church and that we can be proud of when people come throgh Martin. Stick the office's somewhere and if you can't afford to build something pretty, PLANT SOME TREE:S or shrubs. Central is building a beautiful Church, right next to their building that they have now.
It isn't about the building. It is about reaching a lost nation for Jesus. The building project is not complete and if you think the sanctuary is ugly I am shocked. Yes it is just a building. The believers who meet to worship and study God's Word is the church. Those of us who attend First love our "church" ie the believers who meet together. Jesus looks at the heart not the shell. Criticizing a group of believers who just want to see a lost nation saved is really kind of sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What will these tarriffs cost us? 1 hr OMG 12
President Obama Congratulated Putin on His 2012... 12 hr humm 16
News University of Tennessee transfer and adult orie... Thu truth be told 1
swimming pool place in martin Thu Caprice Bro ham 11
Hillary Hollingsworth Thu Guest 8
Hot Professor Thu Chopperblades Redoux 4
Tyrone "Ty" Eskew Wed Chris 1

Martin Jobs

Personal Finance

Martin Mortgages