Martin's First Baptist Church

Posted in the Martin Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious Citizen

Union City, TN

#1 Sep 16, 2010
Does anyone else have an opinion on what the First Baptist Church is doing? I do not live in Martin but I think it is a crime that the First Baptist Church is going to tear down the original white church building. First, Central Baptist Church was torn down and now First Baptist Church. Don't the organizations in Martin have any respect for historic buildings??? Building something new does not make it better. But I suppose the new building the First Baptist Church builds at least won't look like a metal warehouse building like th other new churches that have been built lately. Surely it will still be made out of brick to match the portion they are keeping.
Anonymous

Cookeville, TN

#2 Sep 16, 2010
NO, Martin does not have any respect for old churches, homes etc. There have been some beautiful old things torn down here, I think it's awful!!
we wanted to keep it

Monterey, TN

#3 Sep 16, 2010
First of all, I attend and have been a member at First for many years. We wanted to keep the sanctuary very badly. There have been tears shed and many prayers prayed over this. This was not a decision made over night, it has taken many years to get where we are now today and where we are going. The fact of the matter is the building is falling apart. We priced having it repaired and brought up to code and it was going to cost twice as much as building new. The choir loft is in very bad shape, the electrical is so very old and not working correctly but all of that is the negative, the positive is we have simply out grown the size of the sanctuary. We are in need of more seats!!! What a blessing! We have a large respect for not only our church but others. It was a sad day when Central was torn down. I have lived in Martin all my life and never went in that church but I still cried. If i'm not mistaken First Baptist is the oldest church in Martin or the 2nd oldest - rest assured that our church did NOT jump on the opportunity to tear down over a 100 yr old building. It holds so many special memories for us. For me personally, my sister was married there and my son was just baptized. The good thing is that our memories won't be taken. All of the white brick will be gone before its over. That is the part of the church that has the sanctuary. We are having the new one built now, when its built we will take down the old and the church offices will be built in that location. Again, it is with sorrow and joy that this is happening. Sad that is coming down but joyful that we will be able to allow more people to attend worship services.
Question

Cookeville, TN

#4 Sep 16, 2010
Where is the new one being built?
new

Cookeville, TN

#5 Sep 17, 2010
The new one is being built off to the side where they have tore up the parking lot, it will go over there. If i'm not mistaken I think this phase will be a 2 yr process.
Once up on a Time

Cookeville, TN

#6 Sep 17, 2010
we wanted to keep it wrote:
First of all, I attend and have been a member at First for many years. We wanted to keep the sanctuary very badly. There have been tears shed and many prayers prayed over this. This was not a decision made over night, it has taken many years to get where we are now today and where we are going. The fact of the matter is the building is falling apart. We priced having it repaired and brought up to code and it was going to cost twice as much as building new. The choir loft is in very bad shape, the electrical is so very old and not working correctly but all of that is the negative, the positive is we have simply out grown the size of the sanctuary. We are in need of more seats!!! What a blessing! We have a large respect for not only our church but others. It was a sad day when Central was torn down. I have lived in Martin all my life and never went in that church but I still cried. If i'm not mistaken First Baptist is the oldest church in Martin or the 2nd oldest - rest assured that our church did NOT jump on the opportunity to tear down over a 100 yr old building. It holds so many special memories for us. For me personally, my sister was married there and my son was just baptized. The good thing is that our memories won't be taken. All of the white brick will be gone before its over. That is the part of the church that has the sanctuary. We are having the new one built now, when its built we will take down the old and the church offices will be built in that location. Again, it is with sorrow and joy that this is happening. Sad that is coming down but joyful that we will be able to allow more people to attend worship services.
Very Well Stated- What's most important is what happens in your heart- this is the real temple of worship

Since: May 10

Martin, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2010
Once up on a Time wrote:
<quoted text> Very Well Stated- What's most important is what happens in your heart- this is the real temple of worship
]
Why don't they just tear it down and build a barn somewhere in a field. That seems to be the trend.
well

Cookeville, TN

#8 Sep 17, 2010
Pat, i haven't seen 1 barn built in a field. I do know 2 churches have been built on the highway. And we didn't want to move the location of our church. Many college students come to our services and they are able to walk. If we moved, we would loose that opportunity to have some of the students in our service.

Maybe there are "barns" that have been built and used as a church building. It really doesn't matter if it's a barn or a building with a temple on it. That is simply a building. Real church happens when 2 or more Christians gather and worship.
local

United States

#9 Sep 17, 2010
Central Baptist isn't finished building yet. That "barn" will be an activities building after they build their actual church building.
to local

United States

#10 Sep 18, 2010
When?

Cookeville, TN

#11 Sep 18, 2010
I'm not "local" but some of Central's church members are my friends and they said they will start building when they get what they have built paid off. Very responsible thinking. I don't remember if they said a projected date on when that would be.
Wellll

Huntingdon, TN

#12 Sep 29, 2010
The advancing of teh Kingdom of God isnt tied to a building, it is just that a building. I pray people get more interested in the 80% of Tennessee that was in Church nowhere last year & Fill that New Church up tear it down and build another one! FOT HIS GLORY-GO FOR IT FIRST BAPTIST!!!!!!!!!!
observer

United States

#13 Sep 29, 2010
Curious Citizen wrote:
Does anyone else have an opinion on what the First Baptist Church is doing? I do not live in Martin but I think it is a crime that the First Baptist Church is going to tear down the original white church building. First, Central Baptist Church was torn down and now First Baptist Church. Don't the organizations in Martin have any respect for historic buildings??? Building something new does not make it better. But I suppose the new building the First Baptist Church builds at least won't look like a metal warehouse building like th other new churches that have been built lately. Surely it will still be made out of brick to match the portion they are keeping.
I too think it's great to preserve and conserve buildings and homes as much as possible. But I find it interesting that someone who does not live here, would start this topic on this site. Due to the ADA act and various codes, it is sometimes much easier to build a new building than it is to "Preserve" an old one. Union City has been through similar circumstances with the old Westover School. It is a nice building in a good location, however it was not wanted or noticed until it was about to be torn down. It was empty for years before the city decided to have it "raised" and no civic interest group of any kind ever expressed written desire to have the building. Only after the discussion did Friends of Westover form and decide they wanted this building. This was YEARS ago and the building looks just as bad now as it did then. Some attempts have been made to secure grants and monies for the rehab, however in the meantime, the building is still empty. Seems to me those interested in saving all the old buildings seem to bite off more than they can chew sometimes.
Curious Citizen

Union City, TN

#14 Sep 29, 2010
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I too think it's great to preserve and conserve buildings and homes as much as possible. But I find it interesting that someone who does not live here, would start this topic on this site. Due to the ADA act and various codes, it is sometimes much easier to build a new building than it is to "Preserve" an old one. Union City has been through similar circumstances with the old Westover School. It is a nice building in a good location, however it was not wanted or noticed until it was about to be torn down. It was empty for years before the city decided to have it "raised" and no civic interest group of any kind ever expressed written desire to have the building. Only after the discussion did Friends of Westover form and decide they wanted this building. This was YEARS ago and the building looks just as bad now as it did then. Some attempts have been made to secure grants and monies for the rehab, however in the meantime, the building is still empty. Seems to me those interested in saving all the old buildings seem to bite off more than they can chew sometimes.
I don't live in Martin but I live in the area and I drive through Martin everyday going to and from work. My IPA comes up as Dyersburg but I don't get anywhere near Dyersburg on a daily basis.
I often hear that it is easier to build new than repair old - or it costs more to fix than to build new. However, if the building had been kept in good repair all along, there wouldn't be a need for a large cost to repair the building. I sometimes think that is an excuse - let the building fall into disrepair so people will think there is no other option than to replace it. It's different with a building that has already been abandoned they fall into disrepair and cost much more to return to an active use - but there are some people in some places that care enough to bring a building back to it's original glory. The argument that made the most sense to me here was the church has grown so much that a BIGGER sanctuary is needed. Fine - I can understand that - I just hope that as much as possible of the old sanctuary is reused in the new building and not thrown out like trash.
Sara

Richmond, KY

#15 Aug 12, 2012
Does anybody know the number for this church?
wondering

Union City, TN

#16 Aug 13, 2012
When will the protective siding come off. Is there more to be built?
No one special

Cookeville, TN

#17 Aug 13, 2012
Protective siding?! You mean it is not going to look like that for ever and ever? Yay! I keep being told they have more to build and the siding won't be seen but that could take years.
Mandy

Cookeville, TN

#18 Aug 19, 2012
I think that it is a shame they tore the old church down, My parents and family all went there, I now attend Central. What I think to be even worse is the looks of the place. They took a beautiful church and tore it down, and built a building that is awful looking. Come on people, it is just plain ugly. Everyone has laughed at it/ And why stick office building up there to cover that mess. PLEASE build something that looks like a church and that we can be proud of when people come throgh Martin. Stick the office's somewhere and if you can't afford to build something pretty, PLANT SOME TREE:S or shrubs. Central is building a beautiful Church, right next to their building that they have now.
Think Before You Speak

Martin, TN

#19 Aug 19, 2012
Why come on here and dog a church like that? I personally do not think that God cares what the church building looks like as long as He is being lifted high and worshiped on the inside. The church is not the building, it is the people. Think about what some churches look like in places like Nicaragua and Africa. They have church inside their homes or in places that they built out of scrap metal. Do you think people look at it and laugh and make fun of it because of the way it looks?! First Baptist has grown greatly in population. They were having three services in the old building and every service was packed. They had no choice but to build something new and bigger. They have one service now and it is packed almost every Sunday. So next time, think before you post something like that. You should be building up your brothers and sisters in Christ, not trying to have a contest to see which church has the prettiest building!
No one special

Cookeville, TN

#20 Aug 20, 2012
People and congregations will worship in whatever place they can, be it under a tree, in a home, in a storefront, or in a dedicated church building. When you already have a beautiful church building but have allowed it to deteriorate because your congregation has grown and you want a new church, what should you do? You have a building fund so you can make a bigger and better church. I have heard the church is beautiful inside; I don't know as I am not a member. I enjoyed the beauty of the old church when I drove by. I no longer have a beautiful church to admire as this church chose to hide the beauty inside and gave us something ugly to gaze upon from the outside. They made the choice to rebuild and could have chosen something that would look even better than the old church, but they didn't.. I am glad they are happy with their new building and enjoy it. I miss the beautiful old white church every time I drive by the ugly new grey siding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fox News was voted America's most Trusted Network (Jul '14) 1 hr Only At FOX 80
Brian Wright 3 hr boots 8
Need Webcam Partner (good money) (Jul '14) 3 hr wondering 23
god is for real 13 hr Walk In The Light 10
Good Divorce Attorneys (Apr '14) Tue pitiful 21
shepard's field church "a cult" or "not a cult" (May '11) Mon shadow 255
Liberal Indoctrination At UTM Dept of Education Mon DID-U-NO 35

Flash Flood Watch for Weakley County was issued at March 04 at 2:57AM CST

Martin Dating
Find my Match