Martin teacher arrested on federal sexual charges

Mar 19, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Jacksonsun.com

Stan Vickers, an economics and government teacher at Westview High School in Martin, faces a federal charge of transporting a minor across state lines to engage in unlawful sexual activity, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court.

Comments
1 - 20 of 320 Comments Last updated Jul 8, 2014
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
crazy

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Heard so many different things, I'm now wondering what's really going on.
Rock on

Murfreesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

I agree totally shocking when this happens to someone you know.
pray

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

pray for his family and all families involved
OMG

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

http://www.midsouthnewz.com/news/midsouth-reg...

Martin School Teacher Dared Student to Urinate, Paddle Him
Friday, March 19, 2010 04:30 PM | Staff Reports

Martin, TN School Teacher Charged in Federal Complaint

Memphis, TN - Stanley Wren Vickers, 44 of Martin, Tennessee has been charged in a federal Complaint with transporting a minor across state lines with the intent to engage in sexual activity announced Lawrence J. Laurenzi, United States Attorney for the Western District of Tennessee, My Harrison, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Memphis Division and David Moore, Chief of the Martin Police Department.

The formal complaint against Vickers alleges that in 2003, while Vickers was a soccer coach in the Martin, Tennessee School System, he transported the male student, then 14, across state lines to engage in sexual activity. It was alleged in the complaint that the student was a player on the team that Vickers coached, and when the student moved from the Middle School, where Vickers also taught, to the High School, Vickers transferred, becoming a teacher at the High School. Vickers also paid the student to help him in his part time DJ job.

In a more bizarre twist, the complaint alleged that while Vickers carried on a relationship with the student, he enticed the young man, through a series of " 'dares and bets' to urinate on him, paddle him, and engage in oral sex and masturbation. These incidents occurred in various places in Tennessee to include a shoe store in Sharon, Tennessee, a church parking lot, the concession stand at the football field, as well as in hotels in St. Louis, Missouri, and Paducah, Kentucky."

According to the Complaint, between March 2003 and May 2003, Vickers violated United States Code, Title 18, USC 2423 (a), when he allegedly transported an individual who was under the age of 18 across state lines into Missouri and Kentucky to engage in sexual activity in violation of Missouri and Kentucky laws.

The Complaint was filed on March 17, 2010 and Vickers was arrested on the March 18, 2010 in Martin. He had his initial appearance in federal court in Memphis, today, and is scheduled in court on March 24 for a Probable Cause and Detention Hearing.

“The U. S. Attorney’s Office takes seriously offenses against children and will work diligently to protect the innocence of childhood,” said US Attorney Laurenzi.“The public can be assured that the US Attorney’s Office in the Western District of Tennessee will prosecute violations, as alleged in the case against defendant Vickers, to the fullest extent of the law.”

"It is a priority of the FBI to investigate those who prey on our children," said My Harrison, Special Agent in Charge of the Memphis Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. "But, those who prey on our children from a position of trust, can be assured that we and our fellow law enforcement agencies will work tirelessly to bring them to justice."

“It is only through citizens who exhibit the courage to come forward to report unlawful activity and the cooperation of public institutions such as our school system that provides law enforcement the ability to enforce the laws and protect our community,“ said Chief Moore.

This case is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation Crimes Against Children Task Force and the Martin Police Department. Assistant United States Attorney Dan Newsom is handling the case for the government.

possum trot

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Im wondering.....can you toss some tunes from the prison? or just salad?
MTM

Monterey, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

This is completly shocking to me.....I was a player on won of those squads and never knew he could do such a thing. I'm totally disgusted and outraged such a thing could happen.
Ima Tellitlikeitis

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Very mature, possum trot, Good job on kicking people while their down and making a mockery of a serious situation on ALL FAMILIES involved, you must have alot of friends. Check out my response on the Weakley Co. Press' Facebook page.
possum trot

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Ima Tellitlikeitis wrote:
Very mature, possum trot, Good job on kicking people while their down and making a mockery of a serious situation on ALL FAMILIES involved, you must have alot of friends. Check out my response on the Weakley Co. Press' Facebook page.
kicking them when they are down? IF he did this, he will spend many years in prison, where he would belong.Id say he's a little more than down, at this point wouldnt you?
CoochiCoo

Monterey, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Maybe he will have a "life" time to think about it.....abomination
CURIOUS

Martin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

OMG!!!!!! is this bubba and barbara vickers son.
Ima Tellitlikeitis

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2010

Curious- unfortunately yes.

Possum trot- You did an excellent job on dodging the point. You're TN education is showing. "I'd say he's a little more than down, at his point wouldt you?" quote you. Come on, don't waste my time with comments like that...how the hell am I suppose to answer that realistically...I have no idea how/what he feels...and I take that as a yes that you don't have any friends....or least REAL ones....
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

Who cares how he feels or if he's down? Kick him. Let me guess, not guilty by reason of mental defect? Give me a break. And now he'll want help for his problem. Gag. His poor wife. She's a really good person. To the family of this kid, I have a friend who was in prison, he said he'd love to tell the families of abused kids to rest easier at night, cause they're gettin them in there.
CoochiCoo

Monterey, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

I believe the poster Ima and him were close....look who is defending his actions already...C'mon out IMA
crazy

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

It's my understanding that they've confiscated his school-provided laptop too.
I feel for his family, this has got to be terrible.
Not that surprised

Union City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

Judged:

The "suspect's" family has been trying to pretend they've had real problems for quite some time. Perhaps this is God's way of punishing them for the things they've done and pain they have put apparently SEVERAL people through. Going to church and making an appearance doesn't put God on your side. They want to preach their holiness yet can't fulfill the duties of a true Christian. And now that the truth is out, thousands of people will look on them with shame and they will be the ones who will need forgiveness. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND! Wow, I bet the "sins" of others are looking pretty holy about now?!
What Goes Around

Lexington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

"Not that surprised" .. it appears you know this family in a light similar to how I know them. I couldn't agree with your post more. False allegations against others are easy to start, but God is paying attention .. this is proof positive.
Eisenheim

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

Not that surprised wrote:
The "suspect's" family has been trying to pretend they've had real problems for quite some time. Perhaps this is God's way of punishing them for the things they've done and pain they have put apparently SEVERAL people through. Going to church and making an appearance doesn't put God on your side. They want to preach their holiness yet can't fulfill the duties of a true Christian. And now that the truth is out, thousands of people will look on them with shame and they will be the ones who will need forgiveness. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND! Wow, I bet the "sins" of others are looking pretty holy about now?!
While these revelations are disturbing on many levels, I find it most repulsive that the alleged offenses were supposedly perpetrated by someone who used their position of stature, trust, and leadership in the church and community to not only create opportunity to commit this crime, but also as a means to facilitate the crime. One would have a hard time finding a more apt personification of "...come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves." (Matt. 7:15 KJV) That should taken into consideration at sentencing if and when a conviction is obtained. Additionally, one has to wonder if there are other victims who have not come forward. This is a possibility that I'm sure hasn't escaped the authorities. Let us pray there are no other victims.
j smith

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

Ima Tellitlikeitis wrote:
Curious- unfortunately yes.
Possum trot- You did an excellent job on dodging the point. You're TN education is showing. "I'd say he's a little more than down, at his point wouldt you?" quote you. Come on, don't waste my time with comments like that...how the hell am I suppose to answer that realistically...I have no idea how/what he feels...and I take that as a yes that you don't have any friends....or least REAL ones....
I looked at your "post" on WC newspaper facebook. I see you dont have the guts to put your own name on there. Im sure you are related to this subject, or maybe you like doing the same thing?
MarTNcitizn

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

This family says their daughter is dead to them because 3 years ago she remarried after being widowed for almost 14 years. She married someone who had been single for several years and she had known him for 30 years. She had stayed home all those years and raised her 2 boys into adulthood before she ever dated anyone. They have spread lies and rumors all over town about them and made threats to the point a restraining order had to be issued. Since they have treated her like that for getting married -- WHAT WILL THEY DO TO THEIR SON? I see their daughter everyday and she is living a normal, happy, healthy life.....more they we can say for him!
What Goes Around

Lexington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

MarTNcitizn wrote:
This family says their daughter is dead to them because 3 years ago she remarried after being widowed for almost 14 years. She married someone who had been single for several years and she had known him for 30 years. She had stayed home all those years and raised her 2 boys into adulthood before she ever dated anyone. They have spread lies and rumors all over town about them and made threats to the point a restraining order had to be issued. Since they have treated her like that for getting married -- WHAT WILL THEY DO TO THEIR SON? I see their daughter everyday and she is living a normal, happy, healthy life.....more they we can say for him!
it seems to be a family trait .. spreading lies about others .. his sister has certainly done her share .. again .. God pays attention and now she will experience the devastation of allegations .. only these appear (by his alleged admission) to be real ..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Union City Backstabbers 19 min guest 1
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 29 min WTSassy 145,700
anyone know cara coy rotger 1 hr Snicker 8
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 3 hr Clover_SpringNewt 9,315
foof stamp fraud 3 hr Yeper 21
Poor Thea ; / 4 hr smh 17
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 7 hr Julia 8,613
•••
•••

Martin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Martin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE