Hospital sues IHS for $1.65M for treating tribal members

Sep 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Argus Leader

A South Dakota hospital that nearly closed earlier this year because of financial problems is suing the Indian Health Service, saying the federal agency doesn't pay its bills.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Oct 10, 2012
Tired of Being Pushd Arnd

Brandon, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Perhaps the services that were treated in the ER facilities didn't meet the "emergency" requirements as set forth by IHS policies. Just like every insurance company has stipulations and limitations on what they will and will not cover, IHS does not have an infinite budget. Perhaps the lawsuit should not be filed against IHS but rather to the people who sought those services after clinic hours. Things like broken limbs and heart attacks are covered. Ear aches and runny noses may be questionable. I use BOTH PRIVATE INSURANCE AND IHS Services and I make a CONCIOUS choice if I have to make a trip to ANY doctor, but especially an ER knowing that I may be liable for the charges and do have partial responsibility to pay for those ER services EVEN WITH INSURANCE THAT I PAY $900/mo for!
Nemo

Custer, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Judged:

The anwser is easy as 1 2 3. Just don't treat native americans at the major hospitals. They can't afford it anyway.
Cognizant Native

Rapid City, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Judged:

It appears that there are many who are ignorant of what a treaty between nations means. They should take the time to read up on what a treaty between nations actually means. Definite stipulations are made in how two nations will comply with the written agreements in a treaty. The Native peoples of this land were recognized by the U.S. Government, as separate Nations within the U.S., and therefore both parties ended the ongoing disputes by signing a treaty. The 1868 Ft. Laramie treaty signed between the U.S. Government and the Sioux people includes a promise by the government to provide medical services IN CONSIDERATION FOR the lands taken. Nowhere in the treaty does it state that these services will be provided based on the Government's ability to afford the costs. The term IN CONSIDERATION FOR refers to the fact that there was promise of compensation for land, which means that the services promised are essentially PAID FOR!!! The U.S. Government, as well as numerous private corporations, has benefited for over a hundred years from the gold, lumber, coal, silver and other minerals taken from the land named in the treaty. Our people have NEVER been compensated for these natural resources taken from the land. I am so sick of reading posts by people who have the mis-conceived notion that American Indian people are in the same category as welfare recipients. Our services are not FREE - they were pre-paid!
Richard B

Brandon, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

"Tired of It" is so right on; Nemo may be right in SOME cases, but can't be serious (so all poor people should die of the common cold? That is 1880's style!!!); and Cognizant is RIGHT but not cognizant of the reality of the world today. Who in the 1800's could have imagined that people would literally be paying $20,000 out of pocket EVERY YEAR for health insurance costs. Unfortunately we all must face the true state our government is in. The 20 year olds of today will not be receiving any Social Security benefits at retirment....sad but true....and those were "pre-paid" out of their own pockets....however, with all the borrowing, lending, etc......those prepaid funds are being used and handed out in other areas and will be exhausted by the time the owners should get them back. I don't think the govt. IOU is racially selective there. I too use IHS benefits and pay my own insurance. I also study Tribal Law at our Community college. I have taken the time to read up on these treaties. We haven't held up our end of the bargain as indigenous people either. Some of us should be down right ashamed of ourselves....and some of those people are in my own family and back yard. The government should be helping us find our pride and self value instead of feeding us bandaids and unlimited water. My 14 year old nephew didn't even know that off the reservation, most people do have to write a check for water bills and such! That is an injustice to our people! We get VERY GOOD IHS services provided daily to us. We have specialty services availble, highly educated nurses and doctors and pharmacists and eye physicians and dentists ON OUR RESERVATIONS!!! WOW!!! We HAVE PAID for those services....but why are we begging, fighting, complaining, grunting, demanding, barking for MORE! MORE! MORE! Look around at all we get. Count the blessings. Count the "prepaid" items. They are bountiful! Some people off the reservations are having to drive hundreds of miles for those same services, paying monthly premiums and copays and gas......and time....when we can go down the block.
Nemo

New Underwood, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Nemo wrote:
The anwser is easy as 1 2 3. Just don't treat native americans at the major hospitals. They can't afford it anyway.
Wish you would not post under my handle attempting to piss people off at me.
I do a pretty good job all by myself without you stirring the pot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Martin Discussions

Search the Martin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
wounded knee cemetary (Jun '11) Jun '14 CLH 5
Wounded Knee Music Forum (Feb '13) May '14 Jeffryhelms 7
Johnny Depp talks about buying Wounded Knee tract (Jul '13) May '14 Jeffryhelms 61
Remember the White Clay You Tube Vid with that ... May '14 jeffryhelms 18
Burning Man--Zoonotic Conflict---??? May '14 jeff helms 1
looking for nancy whitfield martin (Dec '12) Aug '13 Mtown 4
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Martin, SD (May '12) May '13 bob jons 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Martin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••