How is allen central boys basketball ...
a friend

Winchester, KY

#41 Jan 29, 2013
AES wrote:
Where do you coach, a friend?
i'm inthe 59th district i guess you've heard of some teams from there
a friend

Winchester, KY

#42 Jan 29, 2013
what i can't understand is why people get mad when someone tells the truth on here. i agree with the one about jerry manns because jerry knows b-ball & he knows how to work with the kids. oquinn would only make it worse. face it people a.c. has been here since what 70 or 71 & only one trip to the state it will be a long while b-4 a team from the 58th district goes to the state

CATS

Richmond, KY

#43 Jan 29, 2013
FRIEND .HIT A 3POINT SHOTON THAT. GAME OVER!!!!
LFF

Ransom, KY

#44 Jan 30, 2013
How would O'Quinn make it worse? I also think they should get a couple of great players to come in and be assistants too, Shawn Newsome and Aaron Crum were some awesome players who know the game well and would relate well to the kids.
a friend

Winchester, KY

#45 Jan 30, 2013
LFF wrote:
How would O'Quinn make it worse? I also think they should get a couple of great players to come in and be assistants too, Shawn Newsome and Aaron Crum were some awesome players who know the game well and would relate well to the kids.
do u kow anything about sports? why bring in someone with no experience to a program that is already struggling,that would be real smart. they need someone that knows the game & can improve the kids. last year betsy layne won the class a state guess why? they brought jr newsome back. how many teams did they have that did that good until jr came back. they need to get away from the buddy system & put the kids first. whoever they bring in they should work with the middle school so they will know the system when they come into high school
CATS

Lebanon, KY

#46 Jan 30, 2013
ALLEN CENTRAL .VS PIKEVILLE . A.C. BEAT 20 POINTS .SO CALLED STAR PLAYER WAS ON THE FLOOR. CAN'T SAY LOST BECAUSE PLAYER INJURED...Lol.
LFF

Ransom, KY

#47 Jan 30, 2013
In that case, why not bring back Johnny Martin? He didnt last long at Pike Central and Sis has retired has she not?

Since: Jan 13

Wheelwright, KY

#48 Jan 30, 2013
This is really laughable at this point. Coach comes in and in one year wins many more games than most expected (that is with reasonable expectation)AC has one 1 regional title in school history because they are a very small school. This is a rebuilding year where no coach was going to win many games.(Anyone with any true knowledge would know that) AC is not a big school with big money, no out of country transfers and no jobs to give mommies and daddies. They will compete in the following years and with a little luck they may get a group like the one team that went to state and go all the way one day. Comparing them to a Kentucky is beyond insane. I am biased because I do like coach, I see how much he loves his players and how hard he works and at this point in his tenure not many could have done it better. Blast this years record if you want, but True AC fans that have been around know the facts. This is my last post on this issue because there is no need to defend someone or something that doesn't need defending.
a friend

Winchester, KY

#49 Feb 1, 2013
rebelfan285 wrote:
This is really laughable at this point. Coach comes in and in one year wins many more games than most expected (that is with reasonable expectation)AC has one 1 regional title in school history because they are a very small school. This is a rebuilding year where no coach was going to win many games.(Anyone with any true knowledge would know that) AC is not a big school with big money, no out of country transfers and no jobs to give mommies and daddies. They will compete in the following years and with a little luck they may get a group like the one team that went to state and go all the way one day. Comparing them to a Kentucky is beyond insane. I am biased because I do like coach, I see how much he loves his players and how hard he works and at this point in his tenure not many could have done it better. Blast this years record if you want, but True AC fans that have been around know the facts. This is my last post on this issue because there is no need to defend someone or something that doesn't need defending.
its four schools combined that hasn't had much success at any sport except volleyball. wasn't betsy layne a small school that won the class A state tour. small school is no excuse. they looked pretty bad last night against south floyd a team they should beat. and i didnt compare the to u.k. i just said being satisfied winning a game in the district tour would be like be satisfied with ky just winning the sec & not the big tour. i want a.c. to go to the state every year but the facts arte facts its not to happen in a really long time.
Amazin

Georgetown, KY

#50 Feb 2, 2013
The smallest school in the state tournament last year was Knott Central with almost 700 students. Fourteen schools in the Sweet 16 had over 1000 students and Rowan County had 900. Scott County had 2300 hundred students which helps make pretty good coaches. South Floyd played Boone County this year and Boone has 1600 students. The All A expanded size to accomondate a couple schools to give them the opportunity to win the title and they still came up short. When Betsy Layne won the All A I believe they lost the first game in the 15th Regional at The Expo that same year and their enrollment is over 500. With Prestonsburg over 600..The days are gone where ACHS and SFHS can compete every year with such small enrollments. Allen Central has about 400 Students with South Floyd at 300. South Floyd started out with about 600 kids and so did Allen Central but you cannot play a schedule and win like they use to when bigger than many other schools that were on their schedule. Cordia recruits players from Canada and is becoming a top contender in the 14th region but is that what people want our community schools here to do? There will always be people that are unhappy with a coach or a principal no matter how they do and that is a fact which is fine but we need to at least look at some of the hardships that are facing our schools when it comes to not having enough to compete every year as we once did. Consolidation is coming within the next few years and enrollment will be around 800 for SF and AC's new school, then we will see teams that are at the top again as they once were every year.
OLD PLAYER

Nerinx, KY

#51 Feb 2, 2013
First off High School Basketball start off at grade school level.Basic need to be learned.This is A.C. H.S. problem .Getting the ball down the floor.Man in bounds the ball throws ball to player up the floor.He turn and throw it back to player that in bound ball gets double teamed.Most of the time losing the ball!When you bring 3 or 4 player to in bound the ball .This give other team where they can press you.NEED TO RUN PLAYER DOWN THE FLOOR NOT STANDING AROUND.Sometimes getting ball down the floor standing around .NOT CUTTING UNDER THE goal or on top.SAME PLAYS EVERY GAME. WATCH BETSY LAYNE HOW THEY MOVE THE BALL.(NEVER SAY WE ARE BEAT BEFORE WE PLAY)
Amazin

Georgetown, KY

#52 Feb 2, 2013
Lot of what you say is true Old Player. Teams must have press offense and surely AC does. Experience helps in attacking a press and not sure how many AC has back this year to handle that. They should be better next year hopefully.
johnny_reb

Hindman, KY

#53 Feb 6, 2013
lets be honest, you people who want to make derogatory remarks are either: parents who are upset because you feel your son is not getting the playing time you think he deserves, mad students because you possibly got sent to the principle's office over bad behavior, or players who are upset over being benched. first off, as parents, it is only natural for you to think your son is one of the best if not the best player on the team "if only given a chance". the truth is that every player on that team is given a chance to showcase their skills in practices. they scrimmage with their teammates, and coach short makes his assessment during those practices. coach wants to win as much as anyone else, so although he is not playing favorites, he probably does take into account their dedication. from what i have heard of the current team, some do not even even want to show up for pratice nor even attend trips to away games(which contributed a lot to some of those losses you are complaining about) trips, in which case, i would not blame coach short for not giving them as much playing time as the boys who indeed are committed to the team. i used to play ball with brad, and believe me: brad short has probably forgot more about the mechanics of basketball than what the rest of you know collectively. but just as john caliparri,(who won the national title last year and this year will probably get beat out of the n.i.t.) brad short, can not go out there on the court and win the games for them. last year, coach took a team of no recruits (unlike most other highschools around), to winning more games than they probably had in the previous 3 years combined. by saying that, i am not trying to run down the previous coach, because from what i understand, he also had problems with players quitting, pouting or transferring; leaving the new coach, brad short, with only the players who decided to remain there. overall, last year's talent level was mediocre at best, but they gave 100 per cent, which any coach should expect from his players, thus, coach was able to bring out the best in them. you win some, you lose some, thats how it goes. coach short got the job because he is very knowlegable and did a fantastic job during in his tenure coaching middleschool, contrary to a lot of other coaches around the state, who get their job using political pull or nepotism. i'm not saying that to throw off on any other highschool coach,there are probably good coaches around who got their job that way, but i am just pointing out that i know he is not from the area and he got his job the same way calipari got his job: because he knows his stuff. now all of you cynics and complainers can continue your whining if you want, but you have been told the solid truth; so do what a real man or woman would do, and digest it! either support the team, or as the saying goes, "take your ball and go home." share your wins and losses just as coach brad short does and stop the, "it has to all be the coaches fault" mentality.
a friend

Winchester, KY

#54 Feb 7, 2013
COMPARING SHORT TO CALIPARI IS VERY STUPID OR YOU MUST BE HIS MOMMY. YOU CONTRADICT URSELF SEVERAL TIMES. SHORT GOT THE JOB BECAUSE THE NEW PRINCIPAL IS FROM THE MIDDLE SCHOOL WHERE SHORT IS AT & THEY ARE VERY GOOD FRIENDS SO THERE IS THE NEPOTISM. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL RECORD WASN'T THAT GOOD WHILE SHORT WAS THERE SO NO REASON TO BRING HIM TO HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.UR ALSO WRONG ABOUT PLAYERS GIVING 100% A GOOD COACH HAS TO BRING IT OPUT IN THEM. IN SHORT WHAT I'M SAYING IS PEOPLE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY FOR A LONG WHILE ABOUT A.C. GOING TO THE STATE. MAYBE ONCE THEY JOIN UP WITH SOUTH FLOYD THEY MITE BE ABLE TO COMPETE. LETS SEE IF SHORT OR BAGLEY WILL GET THE JOB THERE.
the truth

Winchester, KY

#55 Feb 7, 2013
i think we can make this simple the team is not very good this year maybe next year or the next one. so quit talking about the coach or the kids bottom line is there is better teams out there
a_real_friend

Hazard, KY

#56 Feb 7, 2013
a friend wrote:
COMPARING SHORT TO CALIPARI IS VERY STUPID OR YOU MUST BE HIS MOMMY. YOU CONTRADICT URSELF SEVERAL TIMES. SHORT GOT THE JOB BECAUSE THE NEW PRINCIPAL IS FROM THE MIDDLE SCHOOL WHERE SHORT IS AT & THEY ARE VERY GOOD FRIENDS SO THERE IS THE NEPOTISM. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL RECORD WASN'T THAT GOOD WHILE SHORT WAS THERE SO NO REASON TO BRING HIM TO HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.UR ALSO WRONG ABOUT PLAYERS GIVING 100% A GOOD COACH HAS TO BRING IT OPUT IN THEM. IN SHORT WHAT I'M SAYING IS PEOPLE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY FOR A LONG WHILE ABOUT A.C. GOING TO THE STATE. MAYBE ONCE THEY JOIN UP WITH SOUTH FLOYD THEY MITE BE ABLE TO COMPETE. LETS SEE IF SHORT OR BAGLEY WILL GET THE JOB THERE.
You should not call other people stupid when you do not even know what the word "nepotism" means. You do sound like you have sour grapes. Let me explain something to you: Although a coach does try to provide motivation, any player with real heart does not have to be told to do their best, and any coach would agree. He is there to help you develop your skills. If a guy or girl is not willing to give 100% from the get-go, they should not even bother walking onto a basketball court for a try-out to begin with. Quit your crying and take the baby bottle out of your mouth. You can keep typing all the negative comments you want, but people know your type: the type that never looks in the mirror to take responsibilty, but would rather get online to run others down because of your own personal failures. So go try to find some other school you think you would like to play for, then after you bomb there, transfer to another...then another...lol..Oh, and don't stop reminding everyone that it's always the coaches that are screwing you over. I have no ideal why you would use the name "a friend" but if you are a present or past member of the rebels, or maybe someone who was a friend of Mr. Short's, well, now, instead of calling yourself "a friend", you can call yourself a Judas.
johnny_reb

Hindman, KY

#57 Feb 7, 2013
a friend wrote:
COMPARING SHORT TO CALIPARI IS VERY STUPID OR YOU MUST BE HIS MOMMY. YOU CONTRADICT URSELF SEVERAL TIMES. SHORT GOT THE JOB BECAUSE THE NEW PRINCIPAL IS FROM THE MIDDLE SCHOOL WHERE SHORT IS AT & THEY ARE VERY GOOD FRIENDS SO THERE IS THE NEPOTISM. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL RECORD WASN'T THAT GOOD WHILE SHORT WAS THERE SO NO REASON TO BRING HIM TO HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.UR ALSO WRONG ABOUT PLAYERS GIVING 100% A GOOD COACH HAS TO BRING IT OPUT IN THEM. IN SHORT WHAT I'M SAYING IS PEOPLE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY FOR A LONG WHILE ABOUT A.C. GOING TO THE STATE. MAYBE ONCE THEY JOIN UP WITH SOUTH FLOYD THEY MITE BE ABLE TO COMPETE. LETS SEE IF SHORT OR BAGLEY WILL GET THE JOB THERE.
i was not saying that his coaching skills were equal to john calipari, i was saying that he got his job by having the credentials, which is the same way calipari got his job at u.k. if you had an i.q. above 70, you would have been able to comprehend that.
Amazin

Richmond, KY

#58 Feb 8, 2013
Mr. Begley is a good principal that makes tough decisions in the best interest for his school. Everyone will not agree of course and that is their right. Same as coaching where you can't please everyone.
GoRebels

Hindman, KY

#59 Feb 8, 2013
Obviously, your a PARENT of a player who is on the bench and not getting "the playing time" you think your son should. Hate to break it to you but your son just isn't as good as you think he is!!!! Brad has coached my son and I appricate all he has tried to do for our boys off and on the court. He is a good coach, great teacher and role model for our youth. Frankly, between all the practices, games and aggrevation and dumbasses like you I don't know why anyone would want to be a coach. But then again, I guess for the people who do it "its all about the kids". So Brad IS THE COACH wheter u like it or not, so the way I see it u have two options. Your son can quit the team or u can transfer him! Do u really need to talk about certain players......just let them have fun. I feel sorry for your child because the kind of parent you are. The rebels will get better. I'm just glad coach Short doesn't RECRUIT like all these other local schools and local boys are getting to play! THANK YOU COACH SHORT some of us appricate all you do!
GoRebels

Hindman, KY

#60 Feb 8, 2013
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! WELL SAID FROM A TRUE REBEL FRIEND!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 18 min usa 163,855
Dalton Caudill 57 min jeff 6
****McDowell Last Post Wins**** 1 hr texas pete 5
phs 2 hr phsmaters 9
Whitney Blackburn (May '16) 9 hr I need to know 6
Where Is Janet Owens 16 hr Where 1
Fixed income 23 hr concerned citizen 2

Martin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martin Mortgages