Transmission Problem: Torque Converter Drain Back

Nov 6, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Post-Journal, Jamestown New York

I own a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2, 5.9L V8 with 97,000 miles. If the truck sits for more than a week, then the transmission does not engage for a few minutes after I start the vehicle.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9

Since: Oct 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

could b a internal problem ... Could b the valve body isn't keeping pressure and it letting the fluid run back to pan then when you crank it it takes a few for the fluid to get back threw the system...

“Why not”

Since: Feb 09

Mine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2010

Judged:

Junk it and go buy a real truck---- A Tundra
Certified Mechanic

Marshville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2010

Judged:

Two old Chester S.C. boys are out deer hunting, and as they are walking along they come upon a huge hole in the ground. They approach it and are amazed by the size of it.

The first one says, "Wow, that's some hole;
I can't even see the bottom. I wonder how deep it is."

The second old boy says," I don't know, let's throw something down and listen and see how long it takes to hit bottom."

The first one says, "There's this old Toyoder Tundra transmission here, give me a hand and we'll throw it in and see".

So they pick it up and carry it over, and count one, and two and three, and throw it in the hole.

They are standing there listening and looking over the edge and they hear a rustling in the brush behind them.

As they turn around they see a goat come crashing through the brush, run up to the hole and with no hesitation, jump in head first.

While they are standing there looking at each other, looking in the hole and trying to figure out what that was all about, an old farmer walks up.

"Say there," says the farmer, "you fellers didn't happen to see my goat around here anywhere, did you?"

The first old boy says, " Funny you should ask, but we were just standing here a minute ago and a goat came running out of the bushes doin' about a hunert miles an hour and jumped headfirst into this hole here!"

The old farmer said, "That's impossible.

I had him chained to a Toyoder Tundra transmission!"

Since: Sep 08

Marshville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Certified Mechanic wrote:
Two old Chester S.C. boys are out deer hunting, and as they are walking along they come upon a huge hole in the ground. They approach it and are amazed by the size of it.
The first one says, "Wow, that's some hole;
I can't even see the bottom. I wonder how deep it is."
The second old boy says," I don't know, let's throw something down and listen and see how long it takes to hit bottom."
The first one says, "There's this old Toyoder Tundra transmission here, give me a hand and we'll throw it in and see".
So they pick it up and carry it over, and count one, and two and three, and throw it in the hole.
They are standing there listening and looking over the edge and they hear a rustling in the brush behind them.
As they turn around they see a goat come crashing through the brush, run up to the hole and with no hesitation, jump in head first.
While they are standing there looking at each other, looking in the hole and trying to figure out what that was all about, an old farmer walks up.
"Say there," says the farmer, "you fellers didn't happen to see my goat around here anywhere, did you?"
The first old boy says, " Funny you should ask, but we were just standing here a minute ago and a goat came running out of the bushes doin' about a hunert miles an hour and jumped headfirst into this hole here!"
The old farmer said, "That's impossible.
I had him chained to a Toyoder Tundra transmission!"
I don't care who ya are,that's funny right there....
Sledgehammer

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

The National Transportation Safety Board recently divulged they had covertly funded a project with the US auto makers for the past five years, whereby the auto makers were installing black boxes in four-wheel drive pickup trucks in an effort to determine, in fatal accidents, the circumstances in the last 15 seconds before the crash.

They were surprised to find in 49 of the 50 states the last words of drivers in 61.2 percent of fatal crashes were: "Oh, Shit!"

Only the state of Alabama was different, where 89.3 percent of the final words were: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Norma G

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

urtheslaveorthemaster wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care who ya are,that's funny right there....
Hey, Joey, where ya been lately?
Yoyo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Probably the easiest thing to check would be the filter inside the gear box. A few years ago an engineer at the tranny plant decided to go with a filter without a check valve inside of it.

That resulted in ATF fluid draining from the torque coverter back into to the pan when parked for a few hours, especially if parked on a slope.

That issue was resolved years ago but I believe 99 is about the right time frame.

Since: Sep 08

Marshville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Norma G wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Joey, where ya been lately?
Hey Norma. I'm ok. Been truckin'. I hope u had a great Thanksgiving.
Norma G

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

urtheslaveorthemaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Norma. I'm ok. Been truckin'. I hope u had a great Thanksgiving.
Sure did, I have two grandkids now, makes life a lot more interesting! You take care out there on the road and be safe!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Marshville Forum right now

Search the Marshville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 min Weevil 55,603
STD epidemic Sun luvnut 5
welcome signs Sun luvnut 7
Joseph L. Clough child molester, drug runner, o... (Nov '12) Jul 19 just a girl 48
Do it yourself teeth whitening (May '10) Jul 16 Mike Carroll 20
Lt Matt is now Chief Matt Jul 16 Insider 20
Union County Solid Waste Jul 16 Dauphine Eggers 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Marshville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••