|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Judged:

Iona Hummer wrote:
I went to see a man from my church who is a resident at Marshville Autumn Care. He is having a rough time. The CNA's and nurses aides are either too busy with other patients or are ignoring him. He is unable to get out of bed by himself so they have to come with a contraption which lifts him up and sets him in a wheelchair. He mashes the button for help or to go to the bathroom and no one comes. On several occassions he has lay there in his soiled underware because no one has come for an hour or more. He still has a strong voice. I told him to yell like a crazy man. He says he is going to try it. He agreed that to get anything done there you have to raise hell with somebody.
I was trying to be upbeat and positive talking to him but he made me sad talking about all the old people there just waiting to die and nobody cares or comes to see them except some of the local preachers who don't really know them. He goes to the singings they have and some of the church services. He says a lot of the preachers talk about dying as a release from this world and it makes him cry. I told him I wouldn't go hear a preacher that did that. I would leave.
No telling how much money they get from Medicaide and Medicare and insurance for each one of those elderly and infirm. They should be treated first class, better than the finest hotel. They should have CNAs and aides who come running when they are called. They shouldn't be left in wet or soiled diapers.
My grandmother was there until she passed away-I had some concerns so I talked to the director-Jonathan Thomas-for the most part she was taken care of but I stayed on top of it-Everyday and unexpected visits at night-I do know alot of those people do not have family that checks in on them and it is sad-my father in law was also there-but again we stayed on top of it-I will never forget my 80 year old grandfather quoting this: Never mistreat a elderly person or a child-THEY ARE ONE IN THE SAME!!!!! And I never have or will-yes they should be treated like they are at the Radison Hotel!!!!!
Gail Kiker

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Iona Hummer wrote:
I went to see a man from my church who is a resident at Marshville Autumn Care. He is having a rough time. The CNA's and nurses aides are either too busy with other patients or are ignoring him. He is unable to get out of bed by himself so they have to come with a contraption which lifts him up and sets him in a wheelchair. He mashes the button for help or to go to the bathroom and no one comes. On several occassions he has lay there in his soiled underware because no one has come for an hour or more. He still has a strong voice. I told him to yell like a crazy man. He says he is going to try it. He agreed that to get anything done there you have to raise hell with somebody.
I was trying to be upbeat and positive talking to him but he made me sad talking about all the old people there just waiting to die and nobody cares or comes to see them except some of the local preachers who don't really know them. He goes to the singings they have and some of the church services. He says a lot of the preachers talk about dying as a release from this world and it makes him cry. I told him I wouldn't go hear a preacher that did that. I would leave.
No telling how much money they get from Medicaide and Medicare and insurance for each one of those elderly and infirm. They should be treated first class, better than the finest hotel. They should have CNAs and aides who come running when they are called. They shouldn't be left in wet or soiled diapers.
Just a suggestion-if you are there and see someone not being taken care of-even if not a family member-Let It Be Known to the director-I did when I would go and visit my family-I also saw some things with other patients and I certainly brought in to there attention immediately-it takes people visiting there to also look out for the ones that doesn;t have anyone to look out for them-
Otis Campbell

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Judged:

I agree with all this!!!! Some of the employees are down-right rude. I think it is all about the money and I have a few doubts abouts Jonathan Thomas. He talks a good game, but not sure he walks the walk. With what it cost a month to stay there, there should be plenty of employees to check on patients. Instead they are understaffed. Sometimes around the central nursing station, its a big social thing going on. Employees are having a big 'ol time and the patients are being ignored.
Yep

Sanford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Now that lawyers are teaching folks how to liquidate their assets so they CAN be on the public dole (Medicaid) for their nursing home care, its become a vile corrupt method of fleecing the taxpayers. Bet you didnt know that. Lawyers have ruined Amerikkka!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

Yep wrote:
Now that lawyers are teaching folks how to liquidate their assets so they CAN be on the public dole (Medicaid) for their nursing home care, its become a vile corrupt method of fleecing the taxpayers. Bet you didnt know that. Lawyers have ruined Amerikkka!
I have to agree with this to some extent. Its not fair that some people can own homes at the beach and live it up, yet are able to get on medicaid and get a free ride at Autumn Care or any nursing home for that matter. A very few are breaking the bank paying for care the old fashoned way. All of us taxpayers are eventually picking up the tab for those that don't pay. I've just about decided that one is better off to just have nothing. When you have nothing, your kids get financial aid for college, free lunch & breakfast at school, and us old folks can get a free stay at the Autumn Care resort and spa.
Jack Callahan

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

Judged:

I was at Autumn Care early in the week and I thought things looked good. The workers were busy with the patients and helping them. There was a church group meeting with some of the more mobile and lucid folk. The person I visited likes it there and knows the nurses by first name. I asked her if she had any trouble calling for help when she needed changing and she said no, they came quickly.

Since: Jun 10

Marshville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

Judged:

As a nurse myself I wanted to say I understand your frustrations. I myself refuse to work in a nursing home any more. They are all pretty much like AC. Hugely understaffed, and therefore do not provide the care these people need and deserve. Most nursing homes do nothing to change this because they are in it for the money. The best thing you can do is constantly check on your loved ones. Do drop ins at different times so the staff does not expect you. Unfortunately the squeaky wheel is the only one that gets the grease. And by all means if you are uncomfortable with or see something that should not be...REPORT THEM !!! I can not stress that enough! So many people just let things go. The only way to make changes is to make the nursing homes and their employees constantly accountable for their actions. And don't just report it to a manager or director...report it to the state!

Good luck to everyone.
fed up

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2011

Judged:

I had a horribrle experience with Autumn Care today. I expressed my concerns and I admit I was very angry and upset, but I meant every word I said! Jonathan told me he was "offended" by some of my remarks. I really don't care if I offend someone. I just care that my loved one is being ignored and neglected. He didn't seem to be "offended" by the patient's condition. Whats the next step? Any comments and help or personal experiences with this place???? Is it just me??????????

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2011

Judged:

No, Its not just you. The director there is an a$$ kissing politician FIRST. My uncle used to be there and I saw some things that really riled me up. Document everything and complain and raise hell. It might help you, but think of the poor folks there with no body to watch out for them. Good luck to you.
Bob

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

You got that right!!! It is all about making a buck at the expense of the elderly. They treat them fine to your face, but later is a different story. I go there some to visit a friend. The odor is unbearable. That right there tells you the patients are not being changed enough.
visitor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

I was visiting AC a few weeks ago and heard a preacher speaking on Heaven. I don't know if it helped my grandpa but it sure helped me!
Bob

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Mr Otis Campbell wrote:
No, Its not just you. The director there is an a$$ kissing politician FIRST. My uncle used to be there and I saw some things that really riled me up. Document everything and complain and raise hell. It might help you, but think of the poor folks there with no body to watch out for them. Good luck to you.
Yes, I totally agree except that the a$$es he kisses should be those of the patients...you know the ones that keep his sorry butt employed.
bett

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

I have read that elder abuse is way more prevalent than anyone could ever believe. The neglect and abuse that goes on right under our noses in nursing homes is a disgrace!! My aunt was there a couple of years ago (Autumn Care) and for the most part I had few complaints ( I left most of that to my sister :)), but I always felt like things were different when I wasn't looking. On more than one occassion, I overheard employees talking snappy and hateful to these old folks. There also seemed to be no one in charge. I never saw J.Thomas walking the halls or checking on things. When he was there, he was holed up in his office. On weekends, you could just about forget about getting any help. You could ring that buzzer and hell would freeze over before anyone came around. Your best bet for finding an employee would be to look outside at the smoking area. For those of you having problems, call Raleigh. Its the only way to stop this. If everyone would call and complain, then maybe something would be done.
1mom2c

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

Judged:

No, it is just you. I could not be happier with the place. I had a concern once and addressed with Mr. Thomas and he not only fixed it, but called me the next week to make sure I had not had another issue.

What more do you want?
fed up wrote:
I had a horribrle experience with Autumn Care today. I expressed my concerns and I admit I was very angry and upset, but I meant every word I said! Jonathan told me he was "offended" by some of my remarks. I really don't care if I offend someone. I just care that my loved one is being ignored and neglected. He didn't seem to be "offended" by the patient's condition. Whats the next step? Any comments and help or personal experiences with this place???? Is it just me??????????
Fed up

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

1mom2c wrote:
No, it is just you. I could not be happier with the place. I had a concern once and addressed with Mr. Thomas and he not only fixed it, but called me the next week to make sure I had not had another issue.
What more do you want?
<quoted text>
I'm glad it worked out for you and hope you continue to be pleased. My problem has been addressed and hopefully fixed, but I don't think he can take credit for it.
Paradise Island

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

Fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad it worked out for you and hope you continue to be pleased. My problem has been addressed and hopefully fixed, but I don't think he can take credit for it.
Who cares who gets the credit? If your problem is solved, then shut up!
Fed up

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

Judged:

Paradise Island wrote:
<quoted text>
I will shut up when its solved. Short term improvement is a far cry from solved. Read all the other posts big mouth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

Paradise Island wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your problem? Everyone's situation is different. But I suppose this will give you something to discuss @ the nurses station tomorrow. We should all have to walk in someone else's shoes for awhile....or sit in someone's wheelchair.
I love camaros

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2011

I have a great solution....if it is so bad, move your loved one or better yet, take them home and see what kind of job you do.

By the way, I have never had an issue that did not get resolved down there. The previous director was hell to work with but things have greatly improved.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Marshville Discussions

Search the Marshville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 5 hr WV Mountaineer 56,628
Review: Herring Home Improvement (Nov '12) Thu Sara 2
Let's play Marshville Jeopardy (Jun '10) Wed Elm Street Visionary 576
outdoor art Jul 29 Dauphine Eggers 3
Man arrested after flipping off deputy at crime... Jul 29 Dauphine Eggers 2
STD epidemic Jul 28 Tracy little 9
Do it yourself teeth whitening (May '10) Jul 24 luvnut 21
•••
•••
•••
•••

Marshville Jobs

•••