The Home News, June 24, 2010

The Home News, June 24, 2010

Posted in the Marshville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Norma

Mooresville, NC

#1 Jun 23, 2010
Disgruntled cop settles for $12,500

Marshville approves 15 Habitat homes

Tax rate raised to 41 cents

Whitley case to August 11
Ansley

Indian Trail, NC

#2 Jun 24, 2010
I think it's a shame that we let that cop blackmail or extort the town out of $12,500 just to avoid a trial. But, on the other side of it a long trial would have probably cost the town a whole lot more.
I don't like the idea of clustering low income housing no matter if it is a cheapo builder/developer, a slumlord or Habitat for Humanity which I believe in.(I have been a volunteer on 4 houses). Habitat has a noble purpose and it has accomplished great things but it has contributed to lowering property values and destroying neighborhoods. If you want to see a local example ride down West Wilson St. in Wingate. Just past the Dentist office you will see 3 Habitat houses with trash, fancy cars parked in the yards, people sitting outside and making noise at all hours. This used to be a very nice area of Wingate.
I don't think anyone is surprised at the tax rate increase. Unfortunately, Marshville has a shrinking tax base because more taxpayers are moving out than are moving in. Also, business tax revenue has decreased slightly. Simple Obamanomics-- if there are fewer taxpayers to support the town government then taxes must be raised among those taxpayers to cover the cost of those who do not pay taxes.
Denise! For heaven's sake. I'm sick of hearing about the dumb broad. Hurry up DA Snyder! Try her and Fry her! Can we get a little vigilante justice? Why don't we just tar and feather her and run her out on a rail?
Voter

Kershaw, SC

#3 Jun 24, 2010
Don't forget Chief Gaddy retires on September 30, 2010.

Will this job remain open for several years as other important positions in this town seem to? Is anything being done about the clerk position? It seems that important work is not getting done, due to these vacancies and then it is catch up for the next one, who quits in less than three years to move on to something with easier working conditions and better pay.

I agree, people should ride by West Wilson Street in Wingate and view what is coming, heck, it is already here with the three on East Union Street. Multiply that by five, fifteen more are coming. Thank you Marshville Town Council.
Facts are facts

Kershaw, SC

#4 Jun 24, 2010
$12,500 is cheap compared to the niece fiasco, sometimes referred to as the Gailamo.
blame yourselves

Matthews, NC

#5 Jun 24, 2010
You voted them in. It's your fault. People like Norma talk a good game, but can't follow through. "All mouth Griffin", and only behind someones back, never to their face. Norma, you are full of hot air, afraid of GK and DW, they wont kick your a$$, yet your still afraid of them. Stay home Norma, no one likes your gossip.
Norma

Mooresville, NC

#6 Jun 24, 2010
blame yourselves wrote:
You voted them in. It's your fault. People like Norma talk a good game, but can't follow through. "All mouth Griffin", and only behind someones back, never to their face. Norma, you are full of hot air, afraid of GK and DW, they wont kick your a$$, yet your still afraid of them. Stay home Norma, no one likes your gossip.
?????
Gossip, you nameless one? Quoting a newspaper is not gossip. Talk about being afraid, you are afraid to post your name. Therefore you don't exist. Fraidy cat. NA NA NA NA NA! LOL

Hiding behind a screen name. LOL
jerry falwell

Locust, NC

#7 Jun 24, 2010
Ansley wrote:
I think it's a shame that we let that cop blackmail or extort the town out of $12,500 just to avoid a trial. But, on the other side of it a long trial would have probably cost the town a whole lot more.
I don't like the idea of clustering low income housing no matter if it is a cheapo builder/developer, a slumlord or Habitat for Humanity which I believe in.(I have been a volunteer on 4 houses). Habitat has a noble purpose and it has accomplished great things but it has contributed to lowering property values and destroying neighborhoods. If you want to see a local example ride down West Wilson St. in Wingate. Just past the Dentist office you will see 3 Habitat houses with trash, fancy cars parked in the yards, people sitting outside and making noise at all hours. This used to be a very nice area of Wingate.
I don't think anyone is surprised at the tax rate increase. Unfortunately, Marshville has a shrinking tax base because more taxpayers are moving out than are moving in. Also, business tax revenue has decreased slightly. Simple Obamanomics-- if there are fewer taxpayers to support the town government then taxes must be raised among those taxpayers to cover the cost of those who do not pay taxes.
Denise! For heaven's sake. I'm sick of hearing about the dumb broad. Hurry up DA Snyder! Try her and Fry her! Can we get a little vigilante justice? Why don't we just tar and feather her and run her out on a rail?
A great big AMEN!!!
Norma

Mooresville, NC

#8 Jun 24, 2010
You know where I am, my phone number is listed. I live on my street. Say it to my face. You don't like seeing me at the council meetings? Why? You say "stay home".....more people need to get out and SEE what is going on. But people don't care and Marshville is fast going down the tubes.

No I won't stay home. Try to make me. I will be there with bells on any time I want to be. Minutes not approved for over a year. Fees not collected from the State of NC. Someone needs to pay attention.

Obviously I struck a nerve. Good.
blame yourselves

Matthews, NC

#9 Jun 25, 2010
Norma,
Tell me why more people should get out and "SEE" what is going on if they are only going to be like you? You do absolutely nothing but cause gossip, as with the habitat houses. You sit on the planning board and did nothing but bad mouth us on the fact that "your" decision had no impact, and it was all the towns fault for allowing 15 houses where poor Norma thought there should be 3 or 4. Just state the facts Norma, you don't want more blacks here, because in your mind it is the blacks and mexicans that make Marshville look like a slum. Why not just do your part as a citizen and take care of your own property to make the town look better. Does everyone know that you own that beautiful lot in front of the "mexican" apartment complex on 74? The lot where the grass is "knee high" until you are sent a letter by the town to cut it. Why not cut it regular and help make our town look better? Afterall, it is one of the first things passerbys see when they come through town. Do your part to make a small difference and others might also, instead of always stirring gossip. Run for this council and make a difference, oh, sorry, you did, and lost. Get the picture? If you ever get another chance to make a difference in Marshville, then do it with the future in mind. By the way Norma, just one of those 15 habitat homes will bring more revenue to the town than your property, in fees and in taxes, and I am sure more money to our local economy than you contribute.
blame yourselves

Matthews, NC

#10 Jun 25, 2010
Norma wrote:
You know where I am, my phone number is listed. I live on my street. Say it to my face. You don't like seeing me at the council meetings? Why? You say "stay home".....more people need to get out and SEE what is going on. But people don't care and Marshville is fast going down the tubes.
No I won't stay home. Try to make me. I will be there with bells on any time I want to be. Minutes not approved for over a year. Fees not collected from the State of NC. Someone needs to pay attention.
Obviously I struck a nerve. Good.
Yessssss. you struck a nerve, on my backside... Let me say, if GK had not said anything about the minutes being behind, then you would never have known. Furthermore, in defense of the clerk, minutes are NOT required by law to be typed into paper format. Read that again Norma, NOT required by law. It is only done because lots of folks still dont have computers. It is a courtesy only. Got it Norma? If someone needs to listen to some previous meetings thay can always make an appointment to visit town hall.
"Fees not collected from the State"... Tell us Norma what this is about? The state is alittle bigger and a bit more important than little Marshville. They do pay all the fees and taxes they collect for us to us. If you know more then please tell me. You know I will look into it, but again, I think you are blowing hot air, causing more gossip. Come back with some facts that can be verified by someone other than the little friend in your mind. This town has a council that oversees EVERYTHING, and will continue to do so without any help from you Norma.
Dixon Hall

Waxhaw, NC

#11 Jun 25, 2010
To blame yourselves:

I appreciate what Norma has done.

She has participated in town government as a VOLUNTEER. She has given some of her time to the direction and governance of Marshville. Time is one of our most precious possessions. It is life. We are only alloted the amount between birth and death. That she would give freely part of her time and life supporting this town is admirable whether you agree with her or not!

I admire Norma for helping shape ideas and helping make decisions by giving some of her time. I admire the fact that she is unafraid of bullies like you who try to put her down. I admire the fact that she not only talks about the issues but she attends the council meetings and is willing to express an opinion or serve on a committee. How many others in Marshville do that? How many can be counted on? Very few! Very few indeed!

She has, at the very least, called attention to the issues. She has been informative. Some of her statements on here might be tinged with a little here-say. Perhaps she has repeated something written here or heard around town which is unreliable. We probably all do that. Even the self righteous, holy and infallible. Nothing like a little juicy tidbit to spice up what you do know! How many times have you heard someone begin a statement "I heard that..."? No doubt several times a day.

This is the internet. It is not a newspaper, picture or voice media which is held legally accountable for everything written, pictured or said. That's the beauty of it-that one is free to write and express whatever belief they have.

While you are correct in stating that the town has a council that oversees everything, you are incorrect in stating that Norma will not be involved in some way, shape or form. She will be there to encourage their right decisions and question their wrong ones. They all know that if they need a reliable volunteer who will show up for meetings and express herself on the issues they need not look any further than the handful of attendees watching and listening to the town council meeting.

The slanted, weak reporting of the Home News gives very little information. If I want to know what REALLY happened I prefer an eyewitness.
Red Hot Poker

Sanford, NC

#12 Jun 25, 2010
Looks like the Mville Town Council is turning Mville into a bigger SLUM! You council people are stupid fools.

Norma has more sense in her middle finger than all of the idiots running Mville ANY day of the week!

M-ville is now officially disgusting.
Red Hot Poker

Sanford, NC

#13 Jun 25, 2010
the Home-News is a pitiful attempt at journalism, embarrassing, and they dont even have a damn website, what does that tell ya? pitiful.
Facts are facts

Polkton, NC

#14 Jun 25, 2010
If you were at the meetings, blame yourselves, you would know that it was mentioned that fees for mowing had not been collected from the state for some time.

As for the minutes, it has been on the website for everyone to see that the last approved minutes were in July 2009.

Maybe the council was embarrassed to have minutes done because of all the vacillation of some of the members at the time? Just a guess.

At least Norma goes and tries. Do you?
Voter

Polkton, NC

#15 Jun 25, 2010
Maybe this Fourth of July some more kids will fire roman candles into the rest of that "mexican apartment complex" and burn all of it down. That would be a blessing for this town.
Lisa

Nicholasville, KY

#16 Jun 25, 2010
Here goes again. Playing the Blame game. I went to a planning board meeting and there were several people who attended, but not what I expected. I knew the habitat homes would be an issue. If you did not attend a meeting you should keep your mouth shut about it. If you went then talk all you want. I am against having that many habitat houses in one spot. But legally according to zoning they went by everything that was right. If people on planning board and town council were against it they had a right to vote NO and YES. It was there choice and what ever they decided then it was there decision. We are getting a lot of habitat homes here in Marshville rather we like it or not. Now lets make the best of what we got. Can we do that?
Norma

Mooresville, NC

#17 Jun 25, 2010
Thanks people, but should we even acknowledge comments from someone who is nameless, faceless and sexless? Someone who won't back their comments up with a name?

Grass........hmmmmmmmm........ ever seen the grass on the corner of Greene and Hildreth Streets? It was not mowed once all last summer and has not been mowed this summer. Was that owner sent a letter? There are other lots that are never mowed either. Seems my lot is being singled out. Maybe because it is in front of YOUR house? Actually it should be allowed to grow six feet tall so people passing by on the highway can't see the projects behind it.

I did not "bad mouth" about the habitat houses, just stated facts from the neighbors who complain about the stormwater. No matter what, habitat could have gone in and built one house at a time and never even come before the planning board. Me, personally, they can build a hundred houses, will not affect me on a personal level at all. I was just speaking for all the people on East Union Street who contacted me.

The minutes are posted on the website as someone else stated, it is obvious when one is pulling up a current agenda to see the last date was July 6, 2009, for minutes. Come to a meeting.

Hey Lisa, miss you!
Norma

Mooresville, NC

#18 Jun 25, 2010
blame yourselves wrote:
Norma,
Tell me why more people should get out and "SEE" what is going on if they are only going to be like you? You do absolutely nothing but cause gossip, as with the habitat houses. You sit on the planning board and did nothing but bad mouth us on the fact that "your" decision had no impact, and it was all the towns fault for allowing 15 houses where poor Norma thought there should be 3 or 4. Just state the facts Norma, you don't want more blacks here, because in your mind it is the blacks and mexicans that make Marshville look like a slum. Why not just do your part as a citizen and take care of your own property to make the town look better. Does everyone know that you own that beautiful lot in front of the "mexican" apartment complex on 74? The lot where the grass is "knee high" until you are sent a letter by the town to cut it. Why not cut it regular and help make our town look better? Afterall, it is one of the first things passerbys see when they come through town. Do your part to make a small difference and others might also, instead of always stirring gossip. Run for this council and make a difference, oh, sorry, you did, and lost. Get the picture? If you ever get another chance to make a difference in Marshville, then do it with the future in mind. By the way Norma, just one of those 15 habitat homes will bring more revenue to the town than your property, in fees and in taxes, and I am sure more money to our local economy than you contribute.
How do you know I got a letter from the town? I thought the US Mail was private? Oh are you on the town computers against policy?
Facts are facts

Matthews, NC

#19 Jun 25, 2010
Good question "blame yourselves", how do you know Norma received a letter from the town of Marshville?

Isn't that an invasion of privacy? Who is leaking information? Was it discussed in a council meeting? Do tell.
Rojo Grandie

Indian Trail, NC

#20 Jun 25, 2010
Ansley wrote:
Habitat has a noble purpose and it has accomplished great things but it has contributed to lowering property values and destroying neighborhoods. If you want to see a local example ride down West Wilson St. in Wingate. Just past the Dentist office you will see 3 Habitat houses with trash, fancy cars parked in the yards, people sitting outside and making noise at all hours. This used to be a very nice area of Wingate.
Ansley, you hit the nail on the head. Gunshots, profanity, walking through backyards and being belligerent when told not to all hours of the day and night (until my dog explained to them it was a bad practice). It has been an absolute nightmare. Sometimes good intentions are indeed the road to Hell….

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State Shutting Down Autumn Care (Dec '16) Wed Vonnie Mull 6
i Stand by Wed Hung 1
Chad Nov 12 Hung 1
Marshville town council Nov 10 Toni 11
Joseph L. Clough child molester, drug runner, o... (Nov '12) Nov 9 Rob R 56
Local Politics Do you approve of Franklin D. Deese as Mayor? (Feb '12) Nov 8 Russ 5
Pizza Spiga Nov 4 luvnut 2

Marshville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marshville Mortgages