First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Phyllis Lipton

Boston, MA

#1 Jul 24, 2006
Does anyone remember a camp called Camp Indian Head in the Pembroke or Hanson area? My mom used to be the camp nurse and my brother and I are trying to find out if this camp still exists under another name.
Lewis Horvitz

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Sep 4, 2006
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
Does anyone remember a camp called Camp Indian Head in the Pembroke or Hanson area? My mom used to be the camp nurse and my brother and I are trying to find out if this camp still exists under another name.
I was a camper at Indian Head Camp over fifty years ago.Please respond
Lewis Horvitz

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Sep 4, 2006
Sorry I forgot to include my email which is [email protected] for Camp Indian Head alumni
lisa

Orlando, FL

#4 Nov 26, 2006
[ok i remember camp indian head located in lutz, fl. near land o lakes. went there 2 summers in early-mid 70's. e mail [email protected]
V for Vendetta

United States

#5 Jan 29, 2007
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
Do you mean Camp Kiwanee in Hanson on Indian Head Pond? I walk my dog over there and at the adjacent cranberry bogs. The main hall seems to be functioning but I don't think the camp still operates (it might though.)

http://hansonma.virtualtownhall.net/Public_Do...
unkown

Charlestown, MA

#6 Jan 30, 2007
I went to camp somewhere naer there and the name was changed in the year 2004 but i dont know if we speak of the same spot!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Patchen

Santa Barbara, CA

#7 Mar 24, 2007
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
Hi Phyllis,
I attended that camp, in Pembroke, MA way back in the late 1940's for six years. One of three New York (my bro, Stu was one) campers for a few years. Joe and Rose Hurwitz owned the camp, and Bill Falk was head counselor. The names I remember are Freddie and Carl Pearl, Mort and Harv Galper. Later twins from New York arrived, whose Mom, Florence, was the dietician. They were Norm and Lenny Garber. Does your mom recall checking one campers stool every day until the marble he swallowed appeared? That was my brother. Hope this gives you some answers. I looked for the camp years ago, but no one I asked heard of it.
Steve Patchen, Santa Barbara, CA
Steve Patchen

Santa Barbara, CA

#8 Mar 24, 2007
Hi Phyllis,
I attended that camp, in Pembroke, MA way back in the late 1940's for six years. One of three New York (my bro, Stu was one) campers for a few years. Joe and Rose Hurwitz owned the camp, and Bill Falk was head counselor. The names I remember are Freddie and Carl Pearl, Mort and Harv Galper. Later twins from New York arrived, whose Mom, Florence, was the dietician. They were Norm and Lenny Garber. Does your mom recall checking one campers stool every day until the marble he swallowed appeared? That was my brother. Hope this gives you some answers. I looked for the camp years ago, but no one I asked heard of it.
Steve Patchen, Santa Barbara, CA [email protected]
Brian Young

Rockport, MA

#9 Aug 7, 2007
Yes! My family summer home is on Gardner Lane which into Indian Head Camp. Sadly, the camp closed down at least 30 years ago. Many of the old campers building, Director's house, dining hall are still standing and in good condition.
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
Steve Patchen

Santa Barbara, CA

#10 Oct 3, 2007
Brian Young wrote:
Yes! My family summer home is on Gardner Lane which into Indian Head Camp. Sadly, the camp closed down at least 30 years ago. Many of the old campers building, Director's house, dining hall are still standing and in good condition.
<quoted text>
Brian, I would love to tour the old campsite and explore the buildings. Can you give me directions from Cape Cod? Thanks.
Steve <[email protected]>
Steve Patchen

Santa Barbara, CA

#11 Oct 3, 2007
Brian,
I would love to explore the old campgrounds, and tour some of the old building, if possible. Can you give me directions from Cape Cod? Thanks.
Steve Patchen <[email protected]>
Larry Parish

Ardmore, PA

#12 Jan 1, 2008
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
No, it does not. It closed many years ago. I was a camper there 1949-1951.
Larry Parish

Ardmore, PA

#13 Jan 1, 2008
Camp Indian Head was started by Rose and Joe Hurwitz about 1946. It attracted campers from Boston, Providence, New Haven, and New York. It was created on the site of an adult camp of the 1920's.

I went there first in 1949 for the second half of the summer, when a vacancy became available. My father was called as the camp doctor and that was how we knew about it.

For the next two summers, my brother and I were campers.
Stan Keizer

AOL

#14 Apr 9, 2008
I was a camper there for 7 years. It still exists, but it's now a Christian retreat (as of about 5 years ago). The owners were doing a rehab of the cabins (bunks) and let me walk around. It all looked the same as I remembered it from 50 years ago. Sorry, but I couldn't find any "color war" relics! LOL. I'm at [email protected]
Richard Lacombe

AOL

#15 May 20, 2008
My Dad was the chef at Camp Indian Head. I went there as a young child of about 4-5 yrs old. We spent 3 or 4 summers there. My Mom remembers Florence and she thinks she was the dietician. There was a girl they called Little Linda whose Mom may have been a nurse or councillor. We had a cottage on the beach and took care of "Little Linda" while her Mom worked. I may have been known to some as Patchy the Pirate because I had to wear an eye patch due to corrective surgery. My Mom has a picture of Linda, myself, and my brother Larry at camp. We also remembered Jose's restaurant on the water and a nearby ice cream place. One year a thunderstorm melted a clock at our cottage. All I remember is my Mom picking up us two boys and running like heck.
Another memory I have is a Bob Olsen who worked with my Dad in the kitchen. He is now an outstanding doctor in the Plymouth Mass area.

Anyone remember any of these people?

I am not sure if the camp is called something else or if it is gone. My parents went down to the area in Pembroke ten or so years ago and they could not find the camp.
email me if you would like at [email protected] I would love to reminisce with others who may have been there the time I was there.
Steve

Santa Barbara, CA

#16 May 21, 2008
Stan,
Can you provide directions to the camp. We're going to Gloucester this Fall, and I would definitely like to take a side trip to the campsite. I have many wonderful memories, and today I still have one buddy who went their with me, Bob Mushkin (his bro Artie also attended). Some years ago I had lunch with Dave Zibbel, another former camper. Thanks a lot.
Steve
Mike Rosenberg

Georgetown, TX

#17 Jan 12, 2010
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
I went to Camp Indian Head in the late 1940's and early 1950's.
The owners were named Rose & Koe Hurwitz. My brother and I had great experiences there. I still remember my "bunkmates" names, and I'm now 71 years old.
Any questions, email me at [email protected]
Mike Rosenberg.
Arnold Oppenheim

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Jul 27, 2010
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
I remember your mother as the nurse...I attended 1957-1960 or so. The Camp was sold years ago..though it is still used sometimes as a Christian retreat.
phyllis lipton

Boston, MA

#20 Dec 23, 2010
Arnold Oppenheim wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember your mother as the nurse...I attended 1957-1960 or so. The Camp was sold years ago..though it is still used sometimes as a Chri stian retreat.
wow do you really remember my mother being the camp nurse there back in the late 50s' to early 60s'. I have great pictures of her in her uniform and remember going around with her to the bunks in the evening to give out meds. THANKS FOR REMEMBERING PHYLLIS
Smiling Bob

Nitro, WV

#21 Jan 1, 2011
Phyllis Lipton wrote:
Indian head? No thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paul Altimonte Sexually Molested his Brother Aug 25 You are Queer 2
Review: Sandcastle Homes (Aug '13) Jul '15 Sully 37
News Nurses, unions press for hospital $$$ disclosure Jun '15 The Ace of Spades 3
House exchange summer 2013 for Ireland (Jan '13) Apr '15 swilson 2
News Legislator leads push to make domestic violence... Apr '15 Jim Baron 1
Unknown (Aug '11) Mar '15 Jim Baron 41
News Blizzard-stricken East digs out amid forecast 2... (Jan '15) Mar '15 geneliadsouza07 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marshfield Mortgages