Vesper losing its 'Velvet' touch

Vesper losing its 'Velvet' touch

There are 25 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 7, 2008, titled Vesper losing its 'Velvet' touch. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

When it came to grass, Manny Francis seemed supernatural. "I heard he would put grass in his mouth to taste it for acidity," says Gene Manley, the pro at Long Meadow and a local golf historian.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
max

Lowell, MA

#1 Oct 7, 2008
Imagine having the time and the money to care about stupid b*llsh*t like this so much? I think I'll go dig up my grass and then plant different grass. Right after I figure out how to pay the mortgage.
francis

Hingham, MA

#2 Oct 7, 2008
imagine having some much time on your hands that you can read and comment on something that you have no interest in.
suggestion

Windsor, CT

#3 Oct 7, 2008
max wrote:
Imagine having the time and the money to care about stupid b*llsh*t like this so much? I think I'll go dig up my grass and then plant different grass. Right after I figure out how to pay the mortgage.
Working a job...or (gasp) maybe even two, helps pay the mortgage, whining doesn't.
Mark O

Peabody, MA

#4 Oct 7, 2008
They're tearing down Yankee Stadium? That's news to me.
wait a minute

Windsor, CT

#5 Oct 7, 2008
max wrote:
I've seen your type before. There is no room in the "news" for stories like this, right. Everything has to be about pain, suffering, tradgedy, and how obama is gonna save us all.

“"Offense" Wins Championships”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell

#6 Oct 7, 2008
Our rainy summer has most greens about two weeks or so behind season. Plugging balls in October is unusual. That said, the science in keeping these greens playable is amazing...from the %'s of organic matter to the seeding and aeration process. A lot has changed since the days or Vesper Velvet, I’m sure the new greens at Vesper will roll fast and true.
Mom

Billerica, MA

#7 Oct 7, 2008
MrMillCity_dot_com wrote:
Our rainy summer has most greens about two weeks or so behind season. Plugging balls in October is unusual. That said, the science in keeping these greens playable is amazing...from the %'s of organic matter to the seeding and aeration process. A lot has changed since the days or Vesper Velvet, I’m sure the new greens at Vesper will roll fast and true.
I usually get to golf at Billerica country club right up to November.
It is a lot of work keeping greens in good shape.
Annie Nonomous

Beverly, MA

#8 Oct 7, 2008
Take a look at what the experts have to say.

http://www.turfnet.com/view_news.php...
Bertie Wooster

Manchester, MA

#9 Oct 7, 2008
We must maintain our traditional greens at all costs. This is an outrage!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#10 Oct 8, 2008
yawn.
Westford Resident

Fall River, MA

#11 Oct 8, 2008
ahhh horsepiss! Ya know I spend a lot of fucking time and money so I can go to Vesper and drink expensive scotch and putt on nice greens. These deadbeats better get it together and get the Vesper Velvet back on the greens or their gonna be dealing with my attorney!!!!!
Former Lowellian

Springfield, MA

#12 Oct 8, 2008
The subject of greens never crossed my mind till I read this article. Any history about the area facinates me, event this. No, never belonged,never golfed there...way out of my league, but Vesper was always a truly nice place. Went to dances, lunches and fashion shows, etc., there many times and always found the place delightful. Just because I can't afford or would be "accepted" to that club does not in any way diminish the joy of having such a lovely place for those that can.
golf superintendent NH

Salem, NH

#13 Oct 23, 2008
none of you know what the hell you are talking about. Manny francis is one of the greatest superintendent new england will ever see.He made a beautiful grass of velvet and there is no need to get rid of it. The superintendent at vesper now is a arrigaint prick!, he doesnt have a clue about velvet grass or any type of grass at that matter.

Lowell

#14 Dec 10, 2008
golf superintendent NH wrote:
none of you know what the hell you are talking about. Manny francis is one of the greatest superintendent new england will ever see.He made a beautiful grass of velvet and there is no need to get rid of it. The superintendent at vesper now is a arrigaint prick!, he doesnt have a clue about velvet grass or any type of grass at that matter.
Actually, the damage has more to do with the maturity of the golf course and less to do with the guy running the show.(Although, the arrogant prick comment may still hold true, I wouldn't know). Tree growth around the course has decreased the desired hours of sunlight needed for the velvet to continue to thrive. Conservationist wont let them trim back and remove the problematic growth, and therefore, the greens are deteriorating at an alarming rate. Cut the trees, save the greens.

Instead, of crapping on the snooty memebers of Vesper, at least acknowledge that they're opening they're wallets for a project that could be avoided with a trim here, and a trim there.
LoWeLL 4 LifE

Braintree, MA

#15 Dec 10, 2008
Who are you, Carl Spackler?

Lowell

#16 Dec 10, 2008
LoWeLL 4 LifE wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you, Carl Spackler?
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. Here, I've got pounds of this."
LoWeLL 4 LifE

Braintree, MA

#17 Dec 10, 2008
<quoted text>
"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. Here, I've got pounds of this."
"Hey Wang, don't tell them you're Jewish, I think this place is restricted"

Since: Oct 08

Montgomery, AL

#18 Dec 10, 2008
"Well, the world needs ditch-diggers, too!"

Judge Elihu Smails, 1980

Lowell

#19 Dec 10, 2008
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Since: Oct 08

Montgomery, AL

#20 Dec 10, 2008
nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Camp Indian Head (Jul '06) Aug 20 Lrgeskull 32
Hevea natural parquet tiles Jul '16 Miryam2016 1
student loans May '16 May772 2
Leverett Bezanson's murder (Jan '06) May '16 Teddydoherty 18
Review: Sandcastle Homes (Aug '13) Apr '16 neegan 42
Need info - murder in the water station mid 80's (Jul '09) Mar '16 Dyerschool 55
Ratata Mar '16 ratata 1

Marshfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marshfield Mortgages