Motorcyclist killed in accident

Motorcyclist killed in accident

There are 217 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 26, 2008, titled Motorcyclist killed in accident. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Kenneth C. Shanklin of Marshallville was killed on Friday in a motorcycle accident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Medina Reader

Bumpass, VA

#1 Apr 26, 2008
My condolences to his family.
Something Wicked

Stow, OH

#2 Apr 26, 2008
Deepest sympathy for the family of Kenneth.
michelle

Mansfield, OH

#3 Apr 26, 2008
we will keep this family in prayer
ashley

Cleveland, OH

#4 Apr 28, 2008
i was on my way grocery shopping and came upon the accident. i had never seen anything like it before. i could only imagine what the family is going through at this time. i will continue to pray for them. it is just awful that something like this had to happen. let this be a lesson to all of us that we should be defensive drivers.not only watch out for yourself but be aware of other drivers.
Nancy

Atlanta, GA

#5 May 8, 2008
Ashley
I want to thank you for your prayers. You and everyone should know that I, part of his family, not only am I devestated, I am outraged! Accident does not fit this situation, it is a tragedy! I too am a motorcyclist and I refuse to give up my passion due to careless drivers.

To the "Reporter"
I did not witness the event but I assure you that mentioning that my Uncle Kenny was not wearing a helmet insinuated that this was the cause of his death. This is far from the truth! The driver and his deadly vehicle are the cause of this tragedy and should be held accountable. The driver's carelessness, his lack of concern, safety for all others, that is the cause. A passing comment? How about was the driver talking on their cell phone? Smoking a cigarette? Changing the radio station? or did they just not care enough to see and notice what was actually happening in front of them? Did you mention anything about what the driver was doing or not doing in your article?

Maybe a little patience should have been exercised and we would not be here, grieving. This should be a lesson to all who have read, heard or witnessed this TRAGEDY, be more attentive to ALL of those around you.
Nancy

Atlanta, GA

#6 May 8, 2008
To My Family and to Uncle Kenny's Family,

I was deeply saddened hearing the news about my Uncle Kenny. This tragedy has brought back a lot of childhood memories of our family gatherings. There was never a dull moment in my childhood, I would have argued that at the time. There were many shared birthdays, graduations and we always gathered at the holidays. We were each others' best friends and truly will always be friends as well as family.
blank

Ravenna, OH

#7 May 8, 2008
Nancy,

My prayers are with your family. The article did not state what occured. Did the SUV pull out in front of him? As a rider myself, drivers of cars tend to think the excuse "I didn't see him" is acceptable. It is not. People need to pay more attention to ALL vehicles on the road. Motorcycles have just as much right to be on the roads as any other vehicle out there.

Be aware, bikes are everywhere.

Since: Aug 07

Jackson Twp.

#8 May 8, 2008
blank wrote:
Nancy,
My prayers are with your family. The article did not state what occured. Did the SUV pull out in front of him?
Ditto - prayers to your family, Nancy.

My guess is the SUV turned left in front of him:

"The 61-year-old, who was not wearing a helmet, was southbound on state Route 57 when he passed another motorcycle that had slowed to turn in Wayne County's Green Township.

Shanklin struck the passenger side of a northbound SUV"

It's the most likely way I can figure a northbound bike can impact the passenger side of a southbound SUV - the SUV turned left into his path.

It's only a guess on my part. But it IS one of the leading causes of collisions between a bike and another vehicle.

Best wishes for the family to get through this difficult time.
blank

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#9 May 8, 2008
NEOH Beemer Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
"The 61-year-old, who was not wearing a helmet, was southbound on state Route 57 when he passed another motorcycle that had slowed to turn in Wayne County's Green Township.
It's the most likely way I can figure a northbound bike can impact the passenger side of a southbound SUV - the SUV turned left into his path.
It's only a guess on my part. But it IS one of the leading causes of collisions between a bike and another vehicle.
I was just trying to figure out with the article stating he was passing another bike. Which can be done on the same side of road. I am not familiar with where the area the accident took place. Chances are even if he had a helmet on, the human body vs SUV would not of had a good outcome. I don't ride without a helmet, but I know that even with it on, some accidents you can't walk away from.
ERS

Louisville, OH

#10 May 8, 2008
We as bikers take a calculated risk that the people in cars see us. Most time the driver that is looking at you donít really see you. With more bikes on the road then ever before drivers need to be more aware of how vulnerable those of us on bikes are. Helmet or not the rest of you body is subject to trauma in a car to motorcycle crash. Most times the biker will lose that encounter. This is just the beginning or the riding season so a lot more bikers will meet pavement before summer is over. People in cars be cautious I donít want to be your next victim.
concerned citizen

Oshkosh, WI

#11 May 8, 2008
NEOH Beemer Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel bad for the guy but if we are going to analyze it from the brief article, we must also pay some attention to the passage that says he passed the bike that had slowed to turn. quite possibly, if the SUV was turning, it guaged the safety of that move by guageing the speed of the bike dead ahead and could not have anticipated this driver passing him. Because of thier small size, bikers sometimes pass within the same lane and so a driver coming from the other direction, with only one lane in each direction, naturally focuses on the lead vehicle (bike) and doesnt expect another bike to pass it in the same lane. who knows - just a thought. however, as the most vulnerable motorists, bikers owe it to themselves to take extra precautions. may he rest in peace
Just Me Over Here

Cleveland, OH

#12 May 8, 2008
Such a shame, my condolences to his family.
Just Me Over Here

Cleveland, OH

#13 May 8, 2008
ERS wrote:
We as bikers take a calculated risk that the people in cars see us. Most time the driver that is looking at you donít really see you. With more bikes on the road then ever before drivers need to be more aware of how vulnerable those of us on bikes are. Helmet or not the rest of you body is subject to trauma in a car to motorcycle crash. Most times the biker will lose that encounter. This is just the beginning or the riding season so a lot more bikers will meet pavement before summer is over. People in cars be cautious I donít want to be your next victim.
Ditto!
socks

AOL

#14 May 8, 2008
Motorcycles petrify me to no end. Everytime I see one on the road I always say a tiny prayer that they make it home safe. My husband had one and was hit two times. I plotted many ways to destroy that bike, but was way to chicken! He loved that bike so much that he would have had me thrown in jail for destroying it. The novelty finally wore off and he sold it. It's not the motorcycle rider!!! it's usually the driver in car that causes accident!!! My prayers go out to this family. Don't say good-bye! just say good-nite till you meet again.
blank

Ravenna, OH

#17 May 8, 2008
socks wrote:
Motorcycles petrify me to no end. Everytime I see one on the road I always say a tiny prayer that they make it home safe. My husband had one and was hit two times. I plotted many ways to destroy that bike, but was way to chicken! He loved that bike so much that he would have had me thrown in jail for destroying it. The novelty finally wore off and he sold it. It's not the motorcycle rider!!! it's usually the driver in car that causes accident!!! My prayers go out to this family. Don't say good-bye! just say good-nite till you meet again.
Well, thank you for praying for the motorcyclist out there. With the price of gas you will be seeing more of them. Please don't let motorcycles petrify you. They are economical and truth be told, they are a lot of fun to ride.
shorty

United States

#18 May 8, 2008
To Nancy and all the other greiving family members out there, no amount of sympathy or condolences will lessen the sadness and grief you feel at this difficult time. Take time to celebrate your loved one's life, and that he died doing something he loved to do. Remember the good times and try to live your life in a way that your uncle would; that's the best way to honor his memory.

For those of you questioning the biker's use of a helmet-no helmet will save you when your body hits the side of another vehicle. I have seen the results of this first-hand, when a friend of mine hit the side of a semi with a helmet on several years ago. He was not killed instantly, and the pieces of the helmet were lodged in his body after the collision. He was gone by the time he reached the hospital, and those who tried to help him removed the helmet to try and speak with him, but he was so brain damaged he didn't know what was going on or even who he was. Many of us wished he had chose that day to not wear his helmet, since he would have died instantly. Deaths like this one and the others I have known who died on their bikes are the reason I cannot ever ride a motorcycle.

My prayers are with the family, and may your memories keep you during this hard time.
Just Me Over Here

Cleveland, OH

#19 May 8, 2008
shorty wrote:
Take time to celebrate your loved one's life, and that he died doing something he loved to do. Remember the good times and try to live your life in a way that your uncle would; that's the best way to honor his memory.
Excellent advice. If a loved one has to leave, let it ease your mind to know that atleast they went doing something they enjoyed.

It's about the only thing that got me by when my Dad died.

Regardless, may this families memories bring them comfort at this difficult time. My deepest sympathies go out to them.
Just Me Over Here

Cleveland, OH

#20 May 8, 2008
socks wrote:
That was beautiful, made my eyes water. Thank You for your prayers and may we all have a safe riding season from this day forward.

Work stinks, let's ride!

Since: Aug 07

Jackson Twp.

#21 May 9, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel bad for the guy but if we are going to analyze it from the brief article, we must also pay some attention to the passage that says he passed the bike that had slowed to turn. quite possibly, if the SUV was turning, it guaged the safety of that move by guageing the speed of the bike dead ahead and could not have anticipated this driver passing him. Because of thier small size, bikers sometimes pass within the same lane and so a driver coming from the other direction, with only one lane in each direction, naturally focuses on the lead vehicle (bike) and doesnt expect another bike to pass it in the same lane. who knows - just a thought.
I don't disagree with that in the least. I get a little nervous when a vehicle in front of me gets in the left lane to turn left - mainly because I know BOTH my sightline and the sightline of the oncoming traffic is obscured by that vehicle. I do whatever I can to maintain that sightline - usually getting as far right in my lane as possible. If I still can't see the entire intersection/situation? I slow way down and cover the brakes as I approach the intersection.

There's no question we riders have to 'own'(and actually embrace) the fact that we're more difficult to see and can't ever depend on other vehicles around us to do the right thing.
Alexandra

Wooster, OH

#22 May 9, 2008
Last time I rode on a motorcycle, I was about 5 years old...my uncle, a member of the Detroit Renegades, used to take me for rides on his Harley. He used to put this big old helmet on me and take me around the block--quite fun!

I drive a minivan and I get nervous when there's a motorcycle anywhere near me...because compared to my van, there's not much to the motorcycle!

The SUV driver should have seen the motorcycle coming. I don't think I've ever seen a motorcycle on the road that didn't have its headlight on. And when I make a left turn, I am fully well aware that there might be someone coming from the opposite direction passing someone on the right.

From what I know of this (which is only what I've been reading online), the SUV driver failed to yield the right-of-way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshallville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Medina County revenues break pre-recession record (Jan '17) Jul 22 Whitey 2
Brad hall? Jul 17 Curious soul 1
News Body discovered in Barberton alley (Aug '08) Jun '17 barbertonian 188
Playing with mercury at decker. School in 70's Jun '17 A dad 1
News Feds OK plan to sell Norton Homes (Feb '08) May '17 leechy 9
Election Who do you support for County Auditor in Ohio (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 Randy Miller 7
Rocky the German Shepherd (Jul '15) Jul '15 Lucky4gunner 1

Marshallville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marshallville Mortgages