Are black colleges still useful?

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

T he Lincoln Review, a Washington-based black think tank, published an article titled "What Does the Future Hold for Historically Black Colleges?" in its September/October 2007 edition.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 44 of44
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“OMG quit fussin!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Poq. and Proud of it

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2008

Spoony wrote:
Fried chicken eating savages
wow spoony..i think you were born in the wrong era....Black colleges are the same as all girl colleges. If women can fight to get WestPoint and VMI to be co-ed then the same can be done of black colleges. They still have to admit white students=it isnt just for them or they lose funding.
Derrick Allen

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2008

As a former journalist I was shocked to read this article. I can’t believe a journalist would print so many “facts” and miss the Truth. This article is mainly written from someone else’s experiences, and speaks nothing about the necessity or worthlessness of Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs). The real issue, as stated in the article, is that:“...basic grammar lessons...should have been learned in elementary or junior high school.” If a student arrives on campus with the inability to write or speak properly, that isn’t a reflection on the institution. This article also pulls on the example of one obscure HBCU, ignoring more than 100 others across the nation. The statement:“...2005 graduation rates at black colleges ranged from...77...to...7 percent,” doesn’t tell the entire story either. HBCUs graduated 35 percent of students that year, far exceeding the seven percentile bracket. Additionally, HBCUs graduate over 50 percent of African American professionals, and the overall average graduation rate at HBCUs is higher than the average graduation rate for African Americans at other major institutions. Granted, within the last 3-5 years graduation rates have dipped, largely because the number of low-income students at U.S. colleges and universities has increased. That effect has been felt somewhat across the board, but it affects HBCUs more because they’ve historically accepted more low-income students. So in that case yes, HBCUs are at fault; they’re guilty of taking chances on students who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity of a college education.
I also like chicken

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

Plus the food's a lot better!
Skrilla

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2008

Spoony wrote:
Fried chicken eating savages
Beer swilling jackals

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 44 of44
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Marshall Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Marshall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance