Are black colleges still useful?

Are black colleges still useful?

There are 44 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jan 9, 2008, titled Are black colleges still useful?. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

T he Lincoln Review, a Washington-based black think tank, published an article titled "What Does the Future Hold for Historically Black Colleges?" in its September/October 2007 edition.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
AJB

Gloucester, VA

#1 Jan 9, 2008
"Black colleges" are anachronistic and offensive.

Professor Maxwell's experiences mirror my own at a community college near my home.

Colleges should be "color blind," in my view, and they are not.
Why

Yorktown, VA

#2 Jan 9, 2008
Why can't we have "white" colleges?

United Negro Fund? How about a United Caucasian Fund?

Nope, we'd all be called racists then.
AJB

United States

#4 Jan 9, 2008
The idea of a "black college" is much like the idea of a "black water fountain."
Realist

Hampton, VA

#5 Jan 9, 2008
What a negative, incomplete commentary! One man's view and a weak opinion paragraph doomed this op-ed. Perhaps Mr. Williams should spend a bit more time writing with substance in mind.

...and for those uneducated types, if America in days past hadn't been so damn racist (has anything changed?), there wouldn't have been a need for black colleges. They remain a legacy of Reconstruction, Jim Crow, etc. Ya'll remember, the good ol' days. LMAO Some schools are excellent; some are not. AND, there's no point being mad about their existence: their doors are open to all, public and private alike.
whatever

Newport News, VA

#7 Jan 12, 2008
they're racist concepts
AJB

United States

#10 Jan 12, 2008
Why wrote:
Why can't we have "white" colleges?
United Negro Fund? How about a United Caucasian Fund?
Nope, we'd all be called racists then.
What about affirmative action to get more white players into the NBA?
Grad

Newport News, VA

#11 Jan 12, 2008
They do keep the really bad students out of regular colleges.
Sophia

Alexandria, Egypt

#12 Jan 12, 2008
I agree all colleges should be colorblind.
AJB wrote:
"Black colleges" are anachronistic and offensive.
Professor Maxwell's experiences mirror my own at a community college near my home.
Colleges should be "color blind," in my view, and they are not.
Proud Hamptonian

Hampton, VA

#13 Jan 12, 2008
Realist wrote:
What a negative, incomplete commentary! One man's view and a weak opinion paragraph doomed this op-ed. Perhaps Mr. Williams should spend a bit more time writing with substance in mind.
...and for those uneducated types, if America in days past hadn't been so damn racist (has anything changed?), there wouldn't have been a need for black colleges. They remain a legacy of Reconstruction, Jim Crow, etc. Ya'll remember, the good ol' days. LMAO Some schools are excellent; some are not. AND, there's no point being mad about their existence: their doors are open to all, public and private alike.
If you comments are correct and hold merit then why aren't they just called "colleges" As for the "has anything changed" comment. Yes it has. The term racist is continuously misuse. Racism has increased in this country. Whites are far more likely to be treated in a bias manner than any other race. Of course the mainstream media will not report that.
MBC

Norfolk, VA

#16 Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, they are useful. For making a God out of Harvey.

Since: Jul 07

Jacksonville, FL

#18 Jan 12, 2008
Of course they serve a purpose. They keep the majority of the real racists in their halls for 4 years or so.
question

United States

#21 Jan 16, 2008
Bryne wrote:
They also help keep uneducated mongrels who can not pass their SAT's out of real schools. They also are a breeding ground for unprotected sex with predarwinian savages who will rely on WHITE tax dollars to pay for the little Tyrone and Shaquita's of the world.
Sounds to me like you are describing William and Mary.
question

United States

#22 Jan 16, 2008
Proud Hamptonian wrote:
<quoted text>
If you comments are correct and hold merit then why aren't they just called "colleges" As for the "has anything changed" comment. Yes it has. The term racist is continuously misuse. Racism has increased in this country. Whites are far more likely to be treated in a bias manner than any other race. Of course the mainstream media will not report that.
They will always be called HBCU's because that is what they are historacally black colleges that does not mean that other races can't attend. HAve you notice NSU's football team majority are whiye kids.
question

United States

#23 Jan 16, 2008
*white(spelling mistake sory)
question

United States

#24 Jan 16, 2008
Grad wrote:
They do keep the really bad students out of regular colleges.
If you say so
question

United States

#25 Jan 16, 2008
Spelling mistake *white
David Duke

North Highlands, CA

#26 Jan 16, 2008
They don't fill slots in the good schools and muck them up.
voice of reason

Chesapeake, VA

#27 Jan 16, 2008
The real reason is, the posts like these. I am black and I am well educated. I don't speak ebonics, I don't wear baggy pants. I am successfully self-employed legally with a 6 figure income, and have a pilots license.

I walk into Circuit City and some bean head follows me around like I am going to steal something. I get pulled over because I drive a (paid for) Benz.

If I was treated by my own merit and not ignorant assumptions then I would say there is no need for "black colleges". But for a black person who actually wants to get an honest education to be successful in life, it is very difficult.
Realist

Hampton, VA

#28 Jan 16, 2008
Islander native wrote:
Of course they serve a purpose. They keep the majority of the real racists in their halls for 4 years or so.
...and I used to think you actually had something useful and intelligent to say. NOT! Boy was I wrong. Damn, what a stupid a$$ comment. Oh well, blog on.
Edan

Pleasant Hall, PA

#29 Jan 16, 2008
Walter Williams is really an alias of "Uncle Ruckus" from the Boondocks. Or, he is really the child Clarence Thomas doesn't talk about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Waskom Police Department (Nov '07) Oct '17 Waskom citizen 72
Hallsville Police Department Oct '17 Aaron moore 2
Brandon morris Oct '17 Aaron moore 2
News 2 people wanted for attempted ATM theft in Mars... Jul '17 dlneilland 1
Oh No James Is Dealing Meth Again (Apr '17) Apr '17 Dearlers In Terre... 2
Louie gohmert (Mar '17) Mar '17 Little joe 1
News Man accused of murdering his uncle captured in ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 shilovadar0 1

Marshall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marshall Mortgages