Asheville near top for arts

Asheville near top for arts

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 8, 2008, titled Asheville near top for arts. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Asheville has been named by AmericanStyle magazine as the No. 2 small-city arts destinations for 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Hmm

United States

#1 Apr 9, 2008
Uh-oh. Flamebait for the velvet-elvis crowd.
Clarification

Denver, NC

#2 Apr 9, 2008
The reporter might want to clarify that "arts destination" for American Style magazine refers to visual arts and crafts, not the arts in general. It does not covering performing arts - music, theater, dance - and literature, for example. The magazine is a lifestyle and travel magazine: "The mission of American Style magazine is to inform craft enthusiasts and art collectors about the significance of handmade objects of art... American Style provides art lovers with valuable tips on decorating, interior design, display and lighting ideas for everything from designer jewelry and art glass to collectible teapots, art furniture and sculptural ceramics." Asheville's inclusion in its rankings of arts destination is a feather in our cap for our tourism marketing of one segment of the arts industry and is not a critical evaluation of the arts or the support for the arts in our community. The reporter might also clarify that some of the people he quotes are participating in an April commerical tour package to Asheville sponsored and promoted by the magazine.
Mountain Man

Savannah, GA

#3 Apr 9, 2008
BIG YAWN

I'd rather have a magazine saying Asheville was near tops in good paying manufacturing jobs.

local

Taylorsville, NC

#4 Apr 9, 2008
Mountain Man wrote:
BIG YAWN
I'd rather have a magazine saying Asheville was near tops in good paying manufacturing jobs.
You might look into Juarez Mexico...I hear it's lovely this time of year...
local

Taylorsville, NC

#5 Apr 9, 2008
What that article fails to mention is how much tax payer money is wasted on those people not talented enough to make it on their own.
Asheville Native 2

Greer, SC

#6 Apr 9, 2008
local wrote:
What that article fails to mention is how much tax payer money is wasted on those people not talented enough to make it on their own.
Less the 1% of 1% of our national budget according to the latest NEA statistics. Next sarcastic comment?
Mountain Man

Savannah, GA

#7 Apr 9, 2008
Asheville Native 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Less the 1% of 1% of our national budget according to the latest NEA statistics. Next sarcastic comment?

Carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and the rest of us don't get government subsidies

Why should artists ????????

white trash meth head

Barnardsville, NC

#8 Apr 9, 2008
local wrote:
If you are on the dole, you are usually not an artist. You are from Haywood county, have one tooth, smoke like a chimney, weigh upwards of 275 lbs, and sit at your computer and complain on this forum all day about how Asheville is full of commies.
Granola

Lincolnton, NC

#9 Apr 9, 2008
white trash meth head wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are on the dole, you are usually not an artist. You are from Haywood county, have one tooth, smoke like a chimney, weigh upwards of 275 lbs, and sit at your computer and complain on this forum all day about how Asheville is full of commies.
LIKE YOU

Taylorsville, NC

#10 Apr 9, 2008
Mountain Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and the rest of us don't get government subsidies
Why should artists ????????
Thats the best repsonse right there. If those "artist" cannot be self sustaining they need to find another job or keep it as a hobby.
white trash meth head

Barnardsville, NC

#11 Apr 9, 2008
Granola wrote:
<quoted text>
LIKE YOU
like I said....
idiots abound

Lincolnton, NC

#12 Apr 9, 2008
white trash meth head wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone should just ignore the bored little troll and he will vanish.
white trash meth head

United States

#13 Apr 9, 2008
idiots abound wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone should just ignore the bored little troll and he will vanish.
Listen here you idiot. Are you telling me I'm wrong? Because you need to take a tour of the local hospital if that's the case. The number one thing the state is spending money on, in terms of welfare/entitlements is Medicaide, and it is no secret that the redneck white trash population is in the majority on those rolls. The impoverished that are getting cash subsidies in the form of food stamps,and government cheese, etc.. are just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to 2 hours in the heart cath lab, pharmaceutical interventions, and nursing hours spent taking care of the white trash that can't put down the cigarettes. I'm not a troll, I am just telling you how it is, if you don't like it, bury your head in the Rush Limpdick drivel that you love to listen to.
mike

Great Falls, MT

#14 Apr 9, 2008
Hmm wrote:
Uh-oh. Flamebait for the velvet-elvis crowd.

You got a problem with velvet Elvii paintings? You barbarian.. how dare you criticise the arts, these folks are just trying to enhance our poor, miserable , mundane lives. Ingrate.
Sam

Lincolnton, NC

#15 Apr 9, 2008
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
You got a problem with velvet Elvii paintings? You barbarian.. how dare you criticise the arts, these folks are just trying to enhance our poor, miserable , mundane lives. Ingrate.
Velvet Elvis for the fountain. Fair trade?
Homer Simpson

United States

#16 Apr 9, 2008
Must be the beans. Whoops,sorry.I misread it. I thought it said Asheville was near the top for farts.
Bruce Lloyd

Boone, NC

#17 Sep 8, 2009
local wrote:
<quoted text>
You might look into Juarez Mexico...I hear it's lovely this time of year...
Does your sister live there? I hear she's lovely this time of year...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marshall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
its not about white or black people in these si... 1 hr Wake up 2
Group "Black Asheville Matters". 2 hr Wake up America 6
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 hr marksman11 151,411
New to area, in search of good Primary care DR ... Fri litile bit 3
creepy stalker Thu vandella 4
I See by the Pappers that Ron Moore In Trouble ... Thu DETAnthony Johnson 14
Good Pain Management Clinic in Asheville? (Jun '11) Wed CMJ 14

Marshall Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marshall Mortgages