Local discount grocers booming

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

ASHEVILLE With four kids and a husband to feed, it's no wonder Katie Watkins was looking for food bargains at the Amazing Savings grocery store this week.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated May 25, 2009
Logical Local

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Strange that ACT failed to even mention the best and cleanest discount grocer in the Asheville area: ALDI'S! I'd rather shop there than any of the others mentioned in this article. I visited the Amazing Savings on Swannanoa River Road ONCE, and I'll never go back. That was the nastiest place and the grubbiest looking people I've ever seen called a grocery store! What does ATC have against Aldi'd?
Larry

Boone, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Logical Local wrote:
Strange that ACT failed to even mention the best and cleanest discount grocer in the Asheville area: ALDI'S! I'd rather shop there than any of the others mentioned in this article. I visited the Amazing Savings on Swannanoa River Road ONCE, and I'll never go back. That was the nastiest place and the grubbiest looking people I've ever seen called a grocery store! What does ATC have against Aldi'd?
I agree with your post entirely. I do 50% of my grocery shopping at Aldi. The store is very clean, excellent product, and friendly services.
I do stop at Go Grocery occassionly. I do think at times they have good deals, but the store is very dirty and unorganized.
I did visit Amazing Savings one time and was extremely disappointed. I did not enjoy my visit. Yes, as you stated the store was very dirty, unorganized, the people that another subject, and I they had no customer service.
mtnbear

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Also check out the new Dickie's discount store at the corner of Cane Creek rd. in Fairview. I save 75% on items that I used to get at regular grocery stores. And the staff are friendly.
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

I have never been to ALDI, but I do shop Amazing Savings a.k.a Bargain Max often. Never been to GO either. I find Amazing Savings to have a varied selection of organic goods which is why we shop there. Also the folks there are so nice and very helpful. The building is a no frills for sure and I wish they would fix some of the 'pot holes' in the floor. My favorite thing to look for is the organic chocolate with the highest cacoa content possible. I won't stop going there because of how people look. Silly if that scares someone off. They may look different, but this is Asheville. "Keep Asheville wierd."
Logical Local

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

happy wrote:
I have never been to ALDI, but I do shop Amazing Savings a.k.a Bargain Max often. Never been to GO either. I find Amazing Savings to have a varied selection of organic goods which is why we shop there. Also the folks there are so nice and very helpful. The building is a no frills for sure and I wish they would fix some of the 'pot holes' in the floor. My favorite thing to look for is the organic chocolate with the highest cacoa content possible. I won't stop going there because of how people look. Silly if that scares someone off. They may look different, but this is Asheville. "Keep Asheville wierd."
My main reason was more like.. Idon't want to bring roaches into my house!

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

I was reluctant to shop at Aldi's but friends convinced me to give it a try. I love it. Great prices and nice people. Frozen foods are an especially great deal. Go Grocery has good prices, too, and I think they have very good meat. And don't forget Dollar General for paper goods and toiletries.
Organic

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

happy wrote:
Aldi is better. I'm afraid of bringing in roaches and assorted critters from Amazing Savings. Just too dirty.
Question

Black Mountain, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Logical Local wrote:
Strange that ACT failed to even mention the best and cleanest discount grocer in the Asheville area: ALDI'S!
Where is it?

“In search of wiseazzdom.”

Since: Mar 09

Mars Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is it?
Across from the entrance to WalMart on the Swannanoa River Rd. side and on Patton Ave. next to Sonic.

Since: Jul 08

Marshall, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Seriously, roaches?

I know the Amazing Savings in Asheville is a little rough around the edges, but we never had any problems. We like 'em. And DO check out the Amazing Savings in Black Mountain if you have a chance!
WNC Native Enters Fray

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

My neighbor swears by the excellent discounts at Dollar General. She says they have almost all the groceries (except meat) that she buys weekly. Does anyone shop there regularly? Would be interested in some feedback on pricing, cleanliness, and merchandise expiration dates.

Have never been to Amazing Savings but have found Aldi's to have some good prices.
Your Uncle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Discount groceries, huh? GO Grocery used to be a wonderful place. While many items have always been close dated, out of dates were still rarely found. Lately, GO on Leicester Highway has as many out of dates in the dairy section as they do close dates. I guess the emphasis is off of product safety and on...definitely not cleanliness, not variety, not "fresh" meat...who knows? I have shopped at ALDI and it is okay, other than brands that I have never heard of. I have never shopped at Amazing Savings, so "no comment" is my best comment about them.
oh yeah

Leicester, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Pitted floors don't equal roaches, and having to put up with noisy carts at Amazing Savings is OK if you're getting milk for $1.99 a gallon, if you ask me. I've never bought anything bad there, and the people who work there have always bent over backwards to answer my questions when I'm there. And I've been to Go grocery, but I'm not really into Doritos and white bread.
Been There

Spartanburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

I buy the bulk of my food at Aldi's (especially frozen food). Their brands are just as good or better than the ones we are used to, at about half the price. Dollar General is also good for shelf groceries and paper goods, and very clean and organized. I went to Amazing Savings once, and never again. It felt like I was at the garbage dump scrounging for food. Haven't been to GO grocery since I opened a can of peas and found beans instead!
Your Uncle wrote:
Discount groceries, huh? GO Grocery used to be a wonderful place. While many items have always been close dated, out of dates were still rarely found. Lately, GO on Leicester Highway has as many out of dates in the dairy section as they do close dates. I guess the emphasis is off of product safety and on...definitely not cleanliness, not variety, not "fresh" meat...who knows? I have shopped at ALDI and it is okay, other than brands that I have never heard of. I have never shopped at Amazing Savings, so "no comment" is my best comment about them.
What

Boone, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2009

Sounds like Aldi's may be worth a trip to Asheville for me. Our Go grocery in Waynesville has increasingly lost their bargain value with me. I can't find anything there anymore. It is not worth it to me to find a needle in a haystack and still have to go to Ingles. All day grocery hunting is not the way I want to spend my time.
craigster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your post entirely. I do 50% of my grocery shopping at Aldi. The store is very clean, excellent product, and friendly services.
I do stop at Go Grocery occassionly. I do think at times they have good deals, but the store is very dirty and unorganized.
I did visit Amazing Savings one time and was extremely disappointed. I did not enjoy my visit. Yes, as you stated the store was very dirty, unorganized, the people that another subject, and I they had no customer service.
But try the one in Swannanoa, its clean and the people are friendly and clean. They have great deals on all the healthy stuff that is slightly out of date from Greenlife and other "healthfood" stores.
Keith former mos 13B10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

craigster wrote:
<quoted text>
But try the one in Swannanoa, its clean and the people are friendly and clean. They have great deals on all the healthy stuff that is slightly out of date from Greenlife and other "healthfood" stores.
Left out "and moldy or rotten" between "date" and "from".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Marshall Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Marshall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Marshall News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Marshall