Multiple accidents blocking Leicester Highway

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

Comments on Topix forums : At least two separate accidents have blocked traffic in both directions on U. S. 63 in the Leicester community of Buncombe County.
Comments
121 - 140 of 198 Comments Last updated Aug 4, 2012

Since: May 07

Anderson, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

"Clendenin said it appears troopers followed safety protocols during the chase, but officials are still investigating the details of the incident."

Yeah, right. They are never at fault. I hope the innocent driver of the other car gets a lawyer.
Point

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

down under wrote:
heard nchp got in chase and pitted the vehicle in chase and it crashed.
I believe that just might be what happen because a friend of mine was killed during a chase and NCHP were behind him they said they back off just like in this case and guess what he's dead just like this lady.
Jamie

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Judged:

i see stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
pure BS on your part. DUH!!!!!!!!!!
These issues always bring out the bad fuzz and their halfwitted shills.

Bad fuzz love roadblocks, weekend warrior maneuvers, and high-speed chases that maim and kill. They don't GAD about innocent bystanders that might get maimed or killed either.
Jamie

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Judged:

Check this wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, give us your address so somebody can come to rape you violently until you like it!
You are a fool and I bet a LEO. I learned long ago that LE agencies are out for themselves and not on my side, even as a scrupulous law abider. That they will lie and steal. And tell lies in court. That LE agencies attract the psychologically unfit. Like you, for example.

This girl is dead because a bunch of clowns had to set up a roadblock and act like fools.

Yes, she was a fool too. She's dead, but none of the other fools are.

Good harvest, boys. NCSHP verses the citizenry. NCSHP 1, Citizens 0.

Were all those lucrative tickets you wrote worth it?
Rattler

Inman, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

down under wrote:
heard nchp got in chase and pitted the vehicle in chase and it crashed.
She was driving an SUV. NCSHP does not use the pit maneuver on SUVs.
Rattler

Inman, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

mlc9852 wrote:
"Clendenin said it appears troopers followed safety protocols during the chase, but officials are still investigating the details of the incident."
Yeah, right. They are never at fault. I hope the innocent driver of the other car gets a lawyer.
Are you referring to the car that the woman refusing to pull over hit??? As stated earlier, I am sorry for her death and my sympathies are with her family, but she is responsible for everything that occurred in the chase last night. Her death is a result of her actions and her decisions.
margee across tomb

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Tammy Renee Reece, 37, of Barnardsville, was killed after all this:
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 01/18/2004 MADISON MISD. 4 MONTHS
OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE 01/18/2004 MADISON MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 03/29/2004 BUNCOMBE MISD. 4 MONTHS
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 04/10/2005 MADISON MISD. 4 MONTHS
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 08/06/2004 MADISON MISD.
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 03/29/2004 BUNCOMBE MISD.
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 01/18/2004 MADISON MISD.
OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE 01/18/2004 MADISON MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
TRESPASS 07/14/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. 4 MONTHS
WORTHLESS CHECK 07/08/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
TRESPASS 09/10/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
VIOLATE VEHICLE REGISTRATION 09/10/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
FICTITIOUS INFO TO LAW ENF OFR 09/10/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 09/10/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
WORTHLESS CHECK 05/08/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
WORTHLESS CHECK 08/07/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
WORTHLESS CHECK 08/06/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
WORTHLESS CHECK 08/06/2002 BUNCOMBE MISD. CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
LARCENY 07/07/2001 BUNCOMBE MISD. 4 MONTHS
LARCENY 07/07/2001 BUNCOMBE MISD.
DWI LEVEL 4 10/09/1997 BUNCOMBE MISD. 2 MONTHS
DRIV LICENSE REVOKED 10/09/1997 BUNCOMBE MISD. 1 MONTH 15 DAYS
LARCENY (OVER $200) 12/16/1991 OTHER FELON
RESISTING OFFICER 12/16/1991 OTHER FELON CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT
BURNING OTHER PROPERTY 10/29/1988 BUNCOMBE FELON
s fun and games:
knows in Burnsville

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

omg wth wrote:
Can any one tell me what the charge of "burning other property" refers to? I'm just curious. It sounds like some sort of lesser arson charge...
Normally I disagree with police high speed chases as a tactic, but when I read this one I really had a sense that among her last thoughts was "you'll never take me alive!".
One other thing I wonder- how did she drive around the stop sticks?
The charge of burning property may be the burning of the Ossie Metcalf Mill
a historical landmark located on the Buncombe-Madison line.
And I don't call that a lesser arson charge,I would call that a serious and senseless crime.
Dr McCoy and Spock

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

she's dead Jim.......
river ridge mall entrance

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

when will the cops issue tickets to the idiots coming off I 40 west that refuse to yield at the YIELD sign??
JFYI

Piedmont, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

mlc9852 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it their job to chase someone who just turns around?
Because 99 out of 100 times, the person who turns around to avoid having to drive through a license
check has something to hide, or warrants on them,
and they do NOT want to be caught. So, that is the
reason that they are responded to, and when they do
so....it's like waving a big red flag saying..."come
on after me....I'm running!!!" If the person had nothing to hide...then they simply come through the
check-point....show their DL / Registration / Proof
of Insurance....and then merrily go on their way.
I'm surprised that you would even wonder as to why
the LEOs would NOT check after someone who intentionally turns around to avoid a simple license
check. If you are a honest, law-abiding citizen, then
you have nothing to worry about.
JFYI

Piedmont, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

itsimportant wrote:
Because she had priors that justifies her dying??????
You crazy people are acting like the cops singled
her out to kill her intentionally. They tried to
perform a legal traffic stop, and THE LADY IS THE
ONE WHO CHOSE TO FLEE!!!!! SHE MADE THE CHOICE....
AND SHE PAID THE PRICE THAT SHE CHOSE!!!!! Gee....people...where is your common sense???????
JFYI

Piedmont, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

mlc9852 wrote:
<quoted text>
Luckily my lawyer is smarter than cops.
You must have a corrupt, immoral, unethical attorney, if they feel the way that you feel about this whole situation. Idiots...
David

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

granny j wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not an idiot but it is very idiotic for the cops to keep up a high speed chase knowing there will be someone killed before the chase is over. They have a tag number so can find the person later.I am sorry but as a parent I know you can raise a child in church and they can still do wrong. I know kids who have very respectable parents who have a long list of convictions. When a person is grown there isn't much a parent can do to stop them if they get lead astray. I am sure you are a perfect person who only has perfect relatives. It doesn't matter who the blame is placed on a life was lost because of failure of both parties to give up the chase.
I don't think you understand something about chases, how do the officers chasing supposed to know that there will be someone killed before the chase is over, ESP. If they knew this I'm sure the chase would stop. You mentioned that if they had the tag number they could go to the person's house. That is true if the vehicle is not stolen or if the tag is not stolen. Going to the address on the registration won't work then will it.

There is no reason for vehicle pursuits when the vehicle stops like they are bound to do by law. It's not the officers fault that the chase starts is it? Pure and simple, if this person had stopped she would not have committed suicide. She made that decision not the officer.
JFYI

Piedmont, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

justice wrote:
<quoted text>i totally agree!
It seems as though she has a history of avoiding being caught....they may well have gone by her house
many times to have arrested her, and was unable to find her home to do so. So...when SHE made the choice to once again flee, in order to NOT get arrested on all those outstanding charges against
her....she DREW attention to herself...and when the
officers went to do the traffic stop, and SHE chose
to run once again....SHE made the decision to take
the responsiblity to for whatever happened to HER.
If she had stopped for the LEOs, then yeah...she might have had to spend some time in the big house,
but when she made her choices...she now will have to
spend her time elsewhere for the rest of eternity.
SHE made a stupid decision that cost her her life.
PERIOD!
David

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

mlc9852 wrote:
Your hatred of law enforcement is amasing. According to you we never do anything right. I've challenged you before, Since you are obviously a saint and have never made a mistake sign up for the next Basic Law Enforcement Training class and change the profession.

I understand that your ex-husband was killed by a person running from the police. The police didn't kill him that person did. I seem to understand that you got a lawyer and sued the police and SHP. Why, if he was an ex-husband. Did you see $$ signs. If your attitude was then as it is now I understand why he was an ex-husband, he couldn't stand you.

I hope you never do but if you ever need an officer, call the lawyer you hired. See how much he helps you. You are pathetic.
JFYI

Piedmont, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Jamie wrote:
To call a roadblock a checkpoint is a little too deceitful for me. Besides, they have gotten out of hand and overzelous. NCSHP has turned into a mob of goons with no respect for constituional rights.
They staged a roadblock a few weeks ago in the heavy rain on southbound I-26 and netted a whole slew of motorists in Henderson County near Zirconia. They staged a fake accident scene and were flagging down cars that went by it without moving over into the left lane -- and charging them with reckless driving and passing an emergency vehicle. The "emergency vehicle" was an unmarked car on the shoulder with some NCSHP goon with his flashlight stuck out the window.
Looks like NCSHP is feeling a little needy with avarice these days to fill the state and county coffers and grease their retirement funds. That's what that's all about.
I hold them responsible for the death of that young woman from Barnardsville.
Are you really as stupid as you sound??? It IS against the law to NOT pull over when passing an
emergency situation, or for an emergency vehicle to
be able to pass by. There are a WHOLE lot of idiots
that DO NOT DO SO....and trust me...IF it was a member of YOUR family that was needing the help or
was in the back of the ambulance...and the saving of
a few precious moments could mean the difference in
life or death...you would be having a cow for people
to move over and get the hell out of the way. Amazing
how people's views change...when things are looked at
from a different position. The NCHSP does these stops
and check-points to get the message out...and to catch the idiots that DON'T stop when they should.
IF you are driving responsibily and safely, then you
shouldn't have a problem. Most of the time, when someone raises so much hell over something like this,
it is usually because they have something to hide, too.....just like Ms. Reese did. She turned and ran,
and it cost her her life. SHE CAUSED HER OWN DEATH!

What do you have to hide???
Just me

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

I hope a LEO intercepts that drunk driver, or the driver under the influence of drugs, or the driver that is driving erratic & reckless, or the driver that is talking or textign on the phone, or reading while driving,.....while my family, friends, children are on the roads driving or walking, or just simply playing in the yard. Some LEO's are pricks, just like 'good Christians' or 'bad Christians' or just like any other person who might have a bad day.. Just remember one thing.. Kharma. Bites you in the a## everytime, sooner or later. Life isn't fair. I have been wrongly done by the LEO, as well as some people I love. Don't dwell on 'that prick LEO', or that life isn't fair, or someone was done wrong by an LEO, do something about it. I have, and I am sure I will in the future. But I take the good with the bad, and hope and pray they are in the right place at the right time when or if a situation arises and my famiy/loved ones needs them.
Fact reality

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

granny j wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not an idiot but it is very idiotic for the cops to keep up a high speed chase knowing there will be someone killed before the chase is over. They have a tag number so can find the person later.I am sorry but as a parent I know you can raise a child in church and they can still do wrong. I know kids who have very respectable parents who have a long list of convictions. When a person is grown there isn't much a parent can do to stop them if they get lead astray. I am sure you are a perfect person who only has perfect relatives. It doesn't matter who the blame is placed on a life was lost because of failure of both parties to give up the chase.
For your info, I used to work in law enforcement! Most felons who know they have warrants, hide and give out ficticous info in regard to their whereabouts. So to you and all of those who think that they should have got her at her address, WHICH ONE? More than likely, in the system network in which they operate on, there are probably numerous addresses, phone numbers and such! You people make me sick to fathom that law enforcement is sooo easy!

And IF the cops decided to show up at the true location of her address, then you people whould have whined about kicking down a door for arresting a mother or so. You whining liberals just crack me up and truely reveal how stupid you are! I am just gonna sip on my Jose Cuervo and hit refresh every 15 minutes to see how many more idiots can stink up this topic! Pile it on morons!

“The King of Trolls”

Since: Sep 08

Gerudo Desert, Hyrule

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

WOW! I am shocked to see the negative comments towards this woman, but even more shocked to see the hatred toward SHP. First and foremost, SHP jad the right to pursue this woman for refusing to comply with the checkpoint. Second, if the woman gave a damn about herself and others she would have STOPPED while being chased. There is no fault in the State highway Patrol of handling this case.

I know most troopers in this county and I will assert to the average topix reader this: Unless you know the exact circumstances that lead up to the pursuit and death of this woman, then you really cant make a logical conclusion unless you yourself have a stigma towards law enforcement for whatever reason. Having worked for the jail at one point in my life, I can tell you that apprehending anyone with felony priors is something that is no easy task to come by.

Most felons change names, give out ficticious phone numbers and live a secret life so law enforcement cant find them or at least delay in the finding. But the average joe who sits back on their computer on this issue thinks that a person with a badge, gun and a car should know everything about someone and their wherabouts and should be judged based on perfection.

To those who are bashing the troopers in this case: Do you know what it takes to become a trooper? Do you know and truthfully understand the in depth training they receive to become a state trooper? North Carolina State Highway Patrol has training courses more harsh than the United States Marine Corp! Most of you did not know that.

When you drive past a trooper sitting past a guardrail and then you realize you are doing 70 mph in a 60 mph zone, do you cringe? Do you hope that the trooper stays put and looks for better fish to fry? Or do you run your mouth when he pulls you over for breaking the law? If the trooper pulls out and blue lights you, do you think "this guy is an a--hole and why me" or "damn I wish I never messed up"

Did you know that if you people would be nicer to the trooper instead of making excuses, your chances of getting off of a ticket are far greater than none. Try pulling over with your right side in the grass so the trooper can feel more comfortable approaching your vehicle. If the trooper is more relaxed, then so will your ticket be.

The death of this woman is tragicand should never have happened. SHE should have simply pulled over to begin with and this would have never happened. Unfortunately intelligence has been trumped by stupidity and over reacting people on this matter and unless these people can finally see both sides, there will be no peace between people and law enforcement.

My advice is ot the ones barking about law enforcemnt: If you can do better, apply for the job yourself and see if you can hack it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Marshall Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Marshall People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••