Manger Scene at Grundy Courthouse

Manger Scene at Grundy Courthouse

Posted in the Marseilles Forum

PTS

United States

#1 Dec 2, 2012
That manger scene at the courthouse sure looks like "establishment" of religion to me. Fine at a church or a private home, even at a business. Doesn't belong at a government building. At the very least it sends a message that if you are not a christian, you don't belong in Grundy County.
THE WISEGUY

Lockport, IL

#3 Dec 5, 2012
PTS wrote:
At the very least it sends a message that if you are not a christian, you don't belong in Grundy County.
That's correct. If your not a Christian, then get the hell out.
PTS

Bensenville, IL

#4 Dec 6, 2012
Those responses seem to go against both your bible and our Constitution.

Isn't it in there somewhere? Something like "As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions" and "May the god of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another"? Maybe those words are not in your version.
dawx

Glen Ellyn, IL

#5 Dec 19, 2012
I guess its OK cause they also put up decorations with other mythical figures like santa and frosty the snowman. Its all the same.
me

Des Plaines, IL

#8 Dec 25, 2012
It has no place on any government property. Believe what you want to believe. Put up your nativity scene in your own yards.
stupid post

Joliet, IL

#9 Dec 25, 2012
The dollar bill says In god we trust on it. Maybe you should stop using money altogether as well because it says God. Maybe if there were a little bit more God in more peoples lives we wouldn't have as many tragedies like that of Sandy Hook. Nobody says you have to believe in God, but you will respect my right to. Many people honor him at Christmas time by displaying scenes like that you saw at the Courthouse. If thats how we choose to worship him we do not need your permission or your blessing. Get on with your day and worry about more important tragedies then how people choose to worship.
What

Medinah, IL

#10 Dec 25, 2012
Well we'll see what kind of display they put up when the devil worshipers get into power? I don't care either way , but when the shoe is on the other foot, sometimes things get nasty. You never know who's going to rule in ten years? Maybe the islamics will have a display?
PTS

Glen Ellyn, IL

#11 Dec 25, 2012
I respect your right to believe. Do whatever you want. But our government, the government that represents us all, should keep clear of any appearance of establishing a religion. A manger scene does not belong on government property.

And "stupid", re-read the original post and you will see that it mentions nothing about money or schools.
me

Westmont, IL

#12 Dec 26, 2012
What wrote:
Well we'll see what kind of display they put up when the devil worshipers get into power? I don't care either way , but when the shoe is on the other foot, sometimes things get nasty. You never know who's going to rule in ten years? Maybe the islamics will have a display?
You will also respect my choice not to believe. Your statement about sandy hook is naive. Maybe if you were to look at more reality based solutions than "prayer", school shootings and incidents of the like could be minimized. Do you think that no one ever prayed for any of those children, the shooter, or the mother? Guess those didn't work. Maybe if we prayed more and in public places it won't happen!
me

Westmont, IL

#13 Dec 26, 2012
me wrote:
<quoted text>You will also respect my choice not to believe. Your statement about sandy hook is naive. Maybe if you were to look at more reality based solutions than "prayer", school shootings and incidents of the like could be minimized. Do you think that no one ever prayed for any of those children, the shooter, or the mother? Guess those didn't work. Maybe if we prayed more and in public places it won't happen!
My apologies, that reply was supposed to be for "stupid".
lip

Medinah, IL

#14 Dec 28, 2012
The phrase on the dollar bill was put on there in the 50's by religious zelots , it wasn't originally on the bills. Next year it should have the star of david on it, they own all the money now. Look around. Check the last names of most of the senators.You are just a slave , goyim!
woicw

Lombard, IL

#15 Dec 8, 2013
Is that manger scene back again? Or has Grundy County gotten past that Bronze Age mythology?
modef

Geneva, IL

#16 Dec 23, 2013
It's back. All hail the magical sky faerie! Born to help half of all football teams every Sunday.
xmen

Ottawa, IL

#17 Dec 19, 2014
And back again?!? Does the county really have the $$$$ to fight a losing battle in court? This is more of a lock loss than the bears.
The Other Wise Gut

United States

#18 Dec 19, 2014
THE WISEGUY wrote:
<quoted text>
That's correct. If your not a Christian, then get the hell out.
I second that.
Leave the manger alone you heathen bastard.
sowhat 2015

Ottawa, IL

#20 Mar 2, 2015
PTS wrote:
That manger scene at the courthouse sure looks like "establishment" of religion to me. Fine at a church or a private home, even at a business. Doesn't belong at a government building. At the very least it sends a message that if you are not a christian, you don't belong in Grundy County.
The manger has been there for a long time,if you dont like to see it then dont drive by it,duh!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Morris, IL

#21 Mar 8, 2015
For government to put up a manger scene is not a problem. They do not endorse one religion over another until someone asks to put up a tribute to a different religion, or no religion and are refused. For example Arlington has a pretty long list of approved religious symbols for headstones. Including an Atheist*t
pts

Ottawa, IL

#22 May 8, 2015
Jim wrote:
For government to put up a manger scene is not a problem.
Yes. It is a problem when the only display on the grounds is a manger. It sends a message that this is the only set of beliefs supported by the gov't. It says that if you aren't christian you are not part of our community.

Yes, it would be more acceptable if other religions are represented too. Bring on the Muslims, the Scientologists, the Zoroastrians, the Satanists,....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marseilles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Pizza in Morris (Jun '16) Mar 14 mel pheezance 7
Hookers @ TA!! (Mar '15) Mar 7 Billy mo 2
Horny gays (Aug '16) Mar 5 kopl 2
News Do you agree with the city of Marseilles' decis... Mar 5 kopl 2
barbara budach Mar 5 kopl 2
Green light in the sky? (Dec '08) Feb '17 Rickwilk 217
Dejai leipold Feb '17 Kll 1

Marseilles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance