Lawmakers might ban texting while driving

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

Jordan Schrader * JSchrade@CITIZEN-TIMES.com * published February 11, 2009 12:15 am RALEIGH Lawmakers who want to ban drivers from texting while on the road say it's a dangerous distraction that has claimed ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
hikerusa

Mills River, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

OMG! More useless laws.Why not ban annexation as it rewards poor management by cities that care little about doing right 'cause they know annexation covers their sins.
HaHAHA

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

More useless laws?
Turn off your cellphone and listen!
AVL Rez

Greer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

hikerusa wrote:
OMG! More useless laws.Why not ban annexation as it rewards poor management by cities that care little about doing right 'cause they know annexation covers their sins.
Useless you write!?!? What about looking at the law as protection of us -- intelligent innocents who wouldn't think of being distracted from the driving task at hand by texting...or talking...on a cell phone -- from the ignorant idiots using a cell phone while driving who are a keystroke or sound bite away from crashing their vehicles smack dab into one of ours? Justice would be served if they died and we survived unscathed...but wrecks involving tons of metal in motion know nothing of justice.

On another note, I do think the law WILL be useless unless a consistent, comprehensive enforcement methodology is available and used.

Since: May 07

Anderson, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

Not sure we can legislate common sense.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

mlc9852 wrote:
Not sure we can legislate common sense.
That is because they ain't none. LOL.
Cable Guy

North Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

CJOHNNY wrote:
Talkin on the phone while drivin has become a status think with people. Sorta like look at what I got or look at what I'm doin as I drive.
Yes it's called the look at me syndrome.

For that matter I sometimes wonder what happened to madatory driver's education?

Since: Jun 07

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Fed Up wrote:
While some states have a ban on cell phone use in vehicles...our politicians do not have the testicular fortitude pass something like this.
They are to busy passing legislation where they might be able to profit somehow.

“PO'd Puddy Cat”

Since: Jan 08

Asheville NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

RVN Vet wrote:
As you drive the interstate or around town, just observe how many are on the cell phone. Cell phone use should be banned for the driver in any MOVING vehicle.
I sure do agree with you. Every day I see people driving while talking on their cell phones and they just pull out into traffic without looking, change lanes without signaling (you need a free hand to work that little turn signal lever) and run red lights. Texting is even worse. There is a letter carrier out in Candler that talks on his cell phone almost the whole time he is delivering the mail. Every day the folks in the neighborhood have to get out and exchange mail as no one's is placed in the correct box. Calls to the post office doesn't seem to help.

Since: Jun 07

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Carolinakat wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure do agree with you. Every day I see people driving while talking on their cell phones and they just pull out into traffic without looking, change lanes without signaling (you need a free hand to work that little turn signal lever) and run red lights. Texting is even worse. There is a letter carrier out in Candler that talks on his cell phone almost the whole time he is delivering the mail. Every day the folks in the neighborhood have to get out and exchange mail as no one's is placed in the correct box. Calls to the post office doesn't seem to help.
I'm sure a lot of us, as I do, remember the days when drivers would use hand turn signals in an effort to be courteous and in compliance with the law. Now , people are so cold, lazy and inconsiderate, they won't even use the turn signal lever. People plainly don't give a rats rear end about their fellow man anymore. Turn signals is another law that is NOT enforced, which cause a multitude of accidents.

Since: Nov 08

Spartanburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

They'll stop my texting when they pry my cell from my cold,dead hands...

“Just being me!”

Since: Jan 09

around Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

I think that people really feel the need to be talking on their cell - it should be through the use of headsets or, preferably, BlueTooth technology ONLY. Using those Bluetooth earbuds and only having to use voice recognition totally ROCKS in my book!

I've been scared half to death more times than I can count with teenagers (mostly) and others who are either texting or holding their cell phones against their shoulder and yakking away.

But then, I've also been frightened by people eating, putting on make-up, shaving (YES - SHAVING!), fixing their hair, etc. It amazes me what people do behind the wheel! Give me someone who is just singing and bee-bopping along ANYDAY!!! LOL

Anyway, that is my humble opinion.

Have a great day everyone! and DRIVE SAFELY! PLEASE!!!

“Just being me!”

Since: Jan 09

around Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

GOLD SIENNA VAN wrote:
I drive like an idiot and run other drivers off the road at exit 53B off I 40.
Outta my way. I am coming thruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!
Gee - thanks for the warning!! Would that be East or West bound?
Use yer Brain

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2009

Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure a lot of us, as I do, remember the days when drivers would use hand turn signals in an effort to be courteous and in compliance with the law. Now , people are so cold, lazy and inconsiderate, they won't even use the turn signal lever. People plainly don't give a rats rear end about their fellow man anymore. Turn signals is another law that is NOT enforced, which cause a multitude of accidents.
I am pretty sure the vortex in Asheville causes blinkers to stop working
Brandywine

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2009

So texting while driving, as well as yapping, shaving, reading, etc. is not safe. If you have ever done any of those things - or even reached down to get something on the seat, or find a new CD to play, think of how often when you were doing that there was a cop close enough to see you. Then decide how you think such a law can be enforced.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Mars Hill Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Mars Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance