Unemployment center swamped with calls

As Michigan's unemployment numbers continue to rise, 24 Hour News 8 continues to hear from people having problems receiving their benefits. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Brandon Lesert

Petoskey, MI

#1 Dec 18, 2008
I too have been having issues with the so called Marvin.. What ever happened to the old days of going into the Unemployment Office doing your interview and going from there?? Now its all of this non-sense actions that is required by an automated machine and as all of us know from this Artical its HARD to get through to anyone..
auntnana

Byron Center, MI

#2 Dec 18, 2008
yup i have tryed 3 times today to sign up and no luck and i tryed the internet and its not letting me do eather..
Disheartend in Michigan

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Dec 18, 2008
Apparently their appeals department is also overwhelmed. My husband was let go in August, received a letter of denial in October and filed an appeal on November 12. All though he was fired, due to the circumstances, the company did not deny unemployment per the personal department and has 22 weeks in his unemployment account, the state of Michigan decided he did not qualify. He has not received any word from the department either, and Granholm states "Michigan" will be OKAY!
Wyoming resident

Pontiac, MI

#4 Dec 18, 2008
auntnana wrote:
yup i have tryed 3 times today to sign up and no luck and i tryed the internet and its not letting me do eather..
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
Frustrated in GR

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Dec 18, 2008
Website says I'm unable to file on-line. I've been calling the claims phone # for 2 straight weeks, and have yet to get through. That's about 30-40 attempts per day for 2 full weeks, at all times of the day. I'm running out of cell phones minutes cause it take one minute everytime it connects to the recording. I'd rather wait on the line all day wasting my cell minutes, at least that way I know that my call will eventually be answered.
Holland Resident

United States

#6 Dec 18, 2008
Wyoming resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn to spell correctly: Its' "tried" not tryed and it's "either" not eather...While you're unemployed pick up a spelling book.
Don't you think we are having a hard enough time? I think the rude comments (spelling lesson) are uncalled for. It's a forum to post concerns, questions, etc...let's not get technical...give the poor man/woman a break!!!
Pat

Coldwater, MI

#7 Dec 18, 2008
Maybe they need to hire some of us unemployed to man the phones.
Lost In Michigan

United States

#8 Dec 18, 2008
I have one week of Unemployment Insurance left, have received no information about an extension, and can not get through to any person at the Unemployment Agency. This is an exceptionally difficult time to be lost in the shuffle, as the Unemployment Agency will be available fewer days over the next two weeks; it is critical that I get information and yet there is no recourse for me. I have aggressively sought work, and face a Christmas without gifts for my children, debt mounting from living costs, and no where to turn. Since July, the UIA has claimed high call volumes as a reason for excessive wait times. Now, there is just no one available ever. How can the agency feel this system is adequate? Recordings on one line inform callers that 'there are no operators available' and to call the inquiry line. The inquiry line says call back later. My family is in serious trouble and there is literally nothing I can do but repeatedly attempt to call the UIA. I'm doing everything right, as are many others, and we are lost in the shuffle of a system that clearly is NOT working. By February, when they hire more help, if I'm still unemployed and without an extension, I'll be forced to resort to allowing myself to go into the cycle of credit debt just to feed and shelter my children. Happy Holidays, UIA. Perhaps a new UIA recording for the holidays could be added to the arsenol of 'can't help you' messages, aimed at the children of those of us struggling, to explain why Santa sometimes skips homes due to 'high call volumes'.
blown away

Holland, MI

#9 Dec 18, 2008
I tried to get through for 3 hours on monday,to speak with someone.I just kept hitting redial.I managed to get through 3 times and while I was on hold waiting to speak to somebody the F-IN thing hung up on me!SO I started all over again and eventually I did get to speak to someone.Its really a bunch of crap!My check was being held up for a claim I was denied for in 2002!That is fricken BS if you ask me!They really need a better system.The call volume is only going to get higher within the next few weeks.My shop is laying off for x-mas and said we could be out of work for 3-5 weeks!Good Luck everyone!
Ms Lady

Hudsonville, MI

#10 Dec 18, 2008
Holland Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think we are having a hard enough time? I think the rude comments (spelling lesson) are uncalled for. It's a forum to post concerns, questions, etc...let's not get technical...give the poor man/woman a break!!!
Amen, you tell them
spazann

Middleboro, MA

#11 Dec 18, 2008
Lost In Michigan wrote:
I have one week of Unemployment Insurance left, have received no information about an extension, and can not get through to any person at the Unemployment Agency. This is an exceptionally difficult time to be lost in the shuffle, as the Unemployment Agency will be available fewer days over the next two weeks; it is critical that I get information and yet there is no recourse for me. I have aggressively sought work, and face a Christmas without gifts for my children, debt mounting from living costs, and no where to turn. Since July, the UIA has claimed high call volumes as a reason for excessive wait times. Now, there is just no one available ever. How can the agency feel this system is adequate? Recordings on one line inform callers that 'there are no operators available' and to call the inquiry line. The inquiry line says call back later. My family is in serious trouble and there is literally nothing I can do but repeatedly attempt to call the UIA. I'm doing everything right, as are many others, and we are lost in the shuffle of a system that clearly is NOT working. By February, when they hire more help, if I'm still unemployed and without an extension, I'll be forced to resort to allowing myself to go into the cycle of credit debt just to feed and shelter my children. Happy Holidays, UIA. Perhaps a new UIA recording for the holidays could be added to the arsenol of 'can't help you' messages, aimed at the children of those of us struggling, to explain why Santa sometimes skips homes due to 'high call volumes'.
I agree with you and feel bad for you. I am trying to start a new claim and that isn't working either on the internet or the phone. I worked long and hard hours to earn unemployment as does everyone else-so why should we be forced to sit back and lose everything and not eat while we wait for what we earned?

Since: Dec 08

United States

#12 Dec 18, 2008
How can Sharon Moffett-Massey, the UIA call center director, say "our system is working fine."?

Ms. Moffett-Massey, your system is not working fine. Swamped is an understatement.

I get an "all circuits are busy, try again" type of message sometimes; other times just the recorded message and that nobody is available. I doubt the UIA is able to know how often callers reach the "all circuits are busy" as this is an overload/failure of the phone system in handling calls.

More options need to be available. As time ticks away, my bills continue to exist. This is literally a failure in supporting people when they need it most.

I wonder if Ms. Moffett-Massey needed to call, was in a dire situation which grew worse by the day, and got that recording or failed connection message; perhaps then she'd comprehend that the system is NOT at all fine, and swamped or not, step up to the plate and do the right thing. Urgency in upping your employment, extend hours now; not in February.

Imagine calling 911 and never getting through; and being told that we'll get adequate staff in a few months. Doesn't really help those who need help urgently right now, does it.

News 8, if you can help me get through to the UIA, I'd really appreciate it!
enough

Orestes, IN

#13 Dec 18, 2008
I feel for everyone trying to work with uia. If you can't get through to them, how about if EVERYONE starts calling and emailing Granholms office - until they can't take anymore.

Here is the Michigan website with the links to get to her office. You should also contact your representatives and our senators. If everyone bugs them enough, maybe (long shot, I know) they will get off their duffs and fix this.

http://www.michigan.gov/
flsr

Naples, FL

#15 Dec 19, 2008
I hope everyone who has posted here realizes how bad things really are and are taking appropriate action at home. I hope you get the unemployment extensions due you, but what happens when the extension runs out. It is time to put "Santa" out of the picture. Tell the truth to the kids for once that it is really daddy and mommy who are buying things for them, daddy earns the money for them, and daddy no longer has a job to go to for the money. Priorities:a roof over your head, food and heat. Conserve every way you can think of. Close off some rooms to save heat. If you run the oven for a roast, bake a cake at the same time. Do remember that at least one service is provided that does not demand a fee unrelated to use. It is your electricity. You have control over how high it is. Take action before you lose everything.
Bert

Syracuse, NY

#16 Dec 19, 2008
Unfortunately, of the 9.6%, 6% are people too lazy to work and looking for a handout. there are jobs out there for people with enough ambition to seek them out.
RealAmerican

Sterling Heights, MI

#17 Dec 19, 2008
Bert wrote:
Unfortunately, of the 9.6%, 6% are people too lazy to work and looking for a handout. there are jobs out there for people with enough ambition to seek them out.
Then why are you not out there,GEEZZ.lol.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#18 Dec 19, 2008
Shoot, why wait in line at Unemployment. They are going to tax that money anyway. Do it right and go right to welfare. Get the Bridge Card, Food Stamps, Energy Assistance, All kinds of govt programs you have been paying for all your lives. If you have no job then you should qualify. They were advertising on the radio just last year.....
RealAmerican

Sterling Heights, MI

#19 Dec 19, 2008
just think about this for a second, unemployment lines are backed up allready, and the big 3 have not even failed yet!. It will get worse.

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#20 Dec 19, 2008
I can't say I'm happy to read all the posts from people saying they still haven't received checks, but I guess I'm glad we're not alone. My husband was laid off back in October and still hasn't received his first check. He calls MARVIN faithfully every two weeks- still nothing.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#21 Dec 19, 2008
Also, the illegals are getting your tax dollars by beating you to the welfare office. Get your money back. Maybe then the State will take care of its citizens instead of illegals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How bad are grand rapids roads 6 hr a commenter 3
Obama and cocaine addicts 7 hr Oneal 10
Watch Racebaiter Oprah Wigout On Guest's Opinion 7 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 52
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 14 hr no_more_dems 100
Holder is stepping down 14 hr no_more_dems 164
Crowd Walks Out On Obama 17 hr Gville Jim 5
CDC Got Threat Of Ebola All Wrong Sun Trouser Cough 17
Marne Dating
Find my Match

Marne Jobs