It's hard to say Tom, but I can guarantee that they did their best to get in to attempt a rescue.a very, very sad tragedy.
no smoke alarm? a shame because it saves lives.
by the way, re: fire dept: how come the house always burns down, and people are seldom, if ever, saved. if electricity is an issue, aren't there measures to avert or avoid that obstacle?
I appreciate your efforts, so please don't every volunteer fireman respond in a p*ssed off way.
others wonder about the same thing.
But if the house is electrified, it is impossible to know what might electrocute you as you make your way through the house. Normally, FF's will not wait to perform an interior attack until the power is off and there is a chance of electrocution at any time there as well. But if the power line to the house was burned through and touching the house, there's a much great chance of electrocution, even spraying water. If a department is fortunate, they may have a Consumers employee on staff, but most of the time we need to wait until the power company arrives. Electricity is scary stuff. Throw in the electrocution they just had out there, and I'm sure they were being especially cautious.
And with that much fire, it is very hard to make entry due to heat. It can also be unsafe due to possible collapse or holes in the floor if the fire started in the basement. This is much more of an issue with the new 'silent floors'. They are firefighter killers as is all lightweight construction.
And I know the family and friends are grieving, say a prayer for the FF's as well, it is never easy to go through a situation like this, wondering if you could have done more in addition to just knowing that people died, no matter the situation upon arrival.