Remembering the Blizzard of 1978

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

By the time the storm passed on January 26th, streets, cars, even homes were buried in the snow.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of76
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
barb

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

I remember that blizzard. We heard the weather report, and my husband left to go to the store to get bread and milk. He got stuck in a snow bank, and had to walk to his brothers house. Several hours he got home, via snowmobile. When the plows finally got to our road, they only went part way, from one end only. We ended up being snowed in for 5 days.
Thank goodness we didn't loose power.
Mrs D

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

I remember being a little girl, riding in the sled to the gas station to get bread and milk because we couldn't drive anywhere.
Henry

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

Judged:

I was a junior in Grand Haven High School and I delivered the Detroit Free Press at 4:00 am during this blizzard. I remember it well, I had a Honda 90cc motorcycle with a back rack to hold my papers and I went through the snow where everyone else was getting stuck. My buddy's dad said my delivering was all over the CB radio as some crazy kid on a motorcycle was making it through the snow and the 4 wheel drive trucks were stranded. This was a heck of a snow season as we also had quite a blizzard on December 9, 1977 as I was out in this blizzard also. My mother passed away on this day and I remember the funeral homes hearse had a time getting to our house. Have not seen storms like those since.
Lisa

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

I was 12 years old in 1978 and loved all the snow. The neighbor kids and I not only missed school, we went sledding from morning till night for days! My father had a friend who owned a bucket plow. He plowed out our large circle driveway. I remembered going outside when it first happen… I could not even open the door because the snow was so high! I remember the branches from the trees hitting the ground because off all the weight of the snow on them. I miss all the good Michigan winter weather we use to have… however a few days ago… it seemed liked “old-times.” Yeah for SNOW!
Debbie

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

I was 16 years old in 1978 and I remember my brothers and I would make snow caves right out in the front yard. I also remember a car in our drivway was completly covered in snow. That was a really crazy winter.
judy

Grant, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

during the blizzard of 1978, we were dairy farming. The milk truck could not get thru the snow to pick up our milk...with a full bulk tank of milk, one of our neighbors got the idea of making ice cream for the whole neighborhood. Those with snowmobiles picked up everyone and we had a blizzard block party with plenty of homemade ice cream. It was great fun.
Bonnie

Pentwater, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

My Dad paid our house off that year plowing snow. He was a real estate broker, and did snow plowing on the side. But all he did was plow snow when the storm hit. He and his friends would take turns, and sleep for half hour at a time. You couldn't see past the snow banks along side of the road in Cedar Springs.
Cary

Macomb, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

I was born jan 25,1978. My dad couldn't make it to the hosptial because our trailor was snowed in. So I went a couple days without a name. I wish i could of seen what it was like. Have never seen a snowfall like that.
Karen from Hudsonville

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

It was the best when the radio announced that after a few days off from school high school exams(for Unity Christian) were cancelled. You could hear the excited yells across the neighborhood. And my boyfriend had to take the snowmobile to the store for my mom to buy formula for my baby sister. Sure am glad there haven't been any more storms like that now that I am an adult.
keith

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

i was 12 years old when the blizzard hit i lived on a farm and only way we got around was a snowmobile i had fun playing in the snow but when it came to dig out the driveway i will never forget that day
Wes Muskegon

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2008

We were living in Ishpeming at the time and had planned on driving to Muskegon that day the storm broke. The family had planned a baby shower for our 1st child due that April. When we woke up the wind was roaring outside our bedroom window with heavy snow horizontal to the ground. My father called us from North Muskegon and said forget about it, the streets were drifted shut 4-6 feet high and everything was shut down. I remember reading in the accounts of the storm that it was a thousand mile long front that had blasted thru. Even for the U.P. it was a heavy storm but when I pulled up todays Marquette Mining Journal there was no mention of the blizzard of 78. When we did finally make it downstate about 10 days later the roads in many places were still difficult to navagate.
mhl

Pentwater, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

I remember it well also. I was 11 years old and school was cancelled for 10 days straight! We played monopoly in the evenings and during the day we would travel by snowmobile to my father's restaurant. He opened the restaurant so that the police officers, rescue people and towns people had a place to warm up and get a bite to eat. He also would deliver food to the elderly people he knew could not get out and did not normally cook. My sisters nd I thought it was a great adventure because we could waitress, help cook, bus tables and do the dishes. It was just exciting for us then, but now as an adult I can see why people were so thankful to my Dad and how tired all the police and rescue workers were. They were so happy to have a place they could come to relax for a few minutes. We only served soup and sandwiches and smiles but it was enough to give them the strength to move forward in all that snow.
Barb R

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

30 years ago we fought the blizzard to get to Butterworth
to have our first baby, our daughter Sarah. We werent' supposed to be on the roads, but she was coming.
My Dr. couldn't get there, but his partner was already there, The nurses stayed and slept in empty beds.
My husband was stuck there for 2 days, before going home and digging out our driveway in Jenison.
The city was quiet as I looked out my hospital window. It was a beautiful sight.
Great memories, but the best is Sarah.
Esther Moul

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

We left our 7 year old son at home with relatives so he could go to school while my husband and I went to Florida for a week. Turned out we could have taken him along as school was cancelled the whole time we were gone.
Mar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

I was 10 years old, and lived in Manistee. School was cancelled for about a week, if I remember right. The snow reached the roof of our open porch, and we had to push the door open to move the snow out of the way just to get in and out of the house. THAT was what winter in Michigan SHOULD be like!
Anita

Roscommon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

I was 13, we lived on a dirt road in Rockford in a five family townhouse, and there was no way none of us were going anywhere. I remember one of the neighbors knew someone with a snowmobile so they came and picked up my Mom and Dad to take them to the store because we were running out of food, the milk and bread were already gone. I'm sure my brother and sister and I didn't feel the same emotions that my parents were feeling. We were having the time of our lives, no school and making a whole network of tunnels in the snow.
snowman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

Im not sure how much snow weve got this year, but it sure seems to be the most in years. snowman Grand Haven
Susan from GH

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

I was 10 years old. I remember baking with my family, playing lots of games, and my Dad and Sister shoveling off our roof. Those were some really fun family memories.
Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

I was just 14 at the time in 78. The snow banks from the snow plows where so high that when snowmobiles tried to climb them to get into the open field across from our house. The ones that did make it over the snow banks would sink in the deep snow, because we had so much snow so quickly.
KIM GRAND RAPID

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

I remember riding snowmobiles through the S- curve in late night with a friend, not a car to be seen any where,we went down many major road's and and continued on all night.The worst thing I remember is when I tried to go home the next day north of Grand Rapids about 30 miles in Montcalm county,I got word that the county road commision had gone on strike the day before and none ofthe roads were clear for travel for about a week.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of76
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Ottawa County was issued at July 22 at 12:07PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Marne Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Marne People Search