First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#42 Dec 3, 2011
Always though Art Vans had decent furniture, but you should know, nationally the 2-3 years to pay without any interest, is fairly common.....I think, Rooms to Go, started it all.....

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#43 Dec 3, 2011
Go Blue wrote:
Always though Art Vans had decent furniture, but you should know, nationally the 2-3 years to pay without any interest, is fairly common.....I think, Rooms to Go, started it all.....
I always thought it was pretty common knowledge that the mark-up on furniture is extraordinarily high as is jewelry. That's the reason they do all these no interest, no tax deals and wholesale furniture prices are very closely guarded within the industry as is construction quality so buying furniture is really a crap shoot at best. Even brand names don't guarantee quality or value. You have to have a "I'm dealing with a used car salesman" mindset when you shop for furniture anywhere.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#44 Dec 4, 2011
abranger wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought it was pretty common knowledge that the mark-up on furniture is extraordinarily high as is jewelry. That's the reason they do all these no interest, no tax deals and wholesale furniture prices are very closely guarded within the industry as is construction quality so buying furniture is really a crap shoot at best. Even brand names don't guarantee quality or value. You have to have a "I'm dealing with a used car salesman" mindset when you shop for furniture anywhere.
We have collected alot of antique furniture over the years, but some pieces(HDTV base, Queensize bed, Living room) are often bought, to kinda match....last piece we bought from upscale store, came in mission style, oak and oak veneers, yet on the box was made in China.....i was so disappointed..........Years ago, we bought a leather set(couch, loveseat, chair, ottoman) from Rooms To Go, it was zero interest, but i paid it off before end of term....Your right about the markup, my Gram owned furniture stores in Three Rivers and Colon, Michigan.....
FormerArtVanSale s

Rockford, MI

#45 Jul 28, 2012
I worked for art van, few things I like to clear up. If you don't like being bother by a sales person, don't walk in the door. All "home furnishing consultants" or salespeople are based on 100% commission, yes 100%. They are paid a $10.88/draw which has to be paid back at the end of the month. That is over $1700 they owe. It comes out of the commissions they earn, most of the time the sales receive a 4 - 8% commission based on how much they have delivered that month. Then there are times they only get paid 2% on discounted or sale items. Sometimes they don't get paid at all. WOW!!! If the go in arrears there is a chance they person will get fired.

Also if they let a certain number of guest walk without closing they can get fired. Imagine working for nothing. Many employees work for nothing. Instead of running from a sales entertain him, joke cut up make it worth not getting paid. How would you feel If I come into your job and cause you NOT to get paid?
SeenItBefore

Jenison, MI

#46 Jul 31, 2012
I am so done with Art Van! We have a recliner that is literally falling apart and they refuse to honor the warranty. They say the warranty only covers faulty materials and workmanship. Well what else would it be when the fabric is separating with the foam extruding out with zero signs of misuse or abuse DA? Couldn't be faulty materials now could it. Because they say so.

One more customer lost Art Van...along with every other I can get to follow me.
free thinker

Farmington, MI

#47 Jul 31, 2012
FormerArtVanSales wrote:
I worked for art van, few things I like to clear up. If you don't like being bother by a sales person, don't walk in the door. All "home furnishing consultants" or salespeople are based on 100% commission, yes 100%. They are paid a $10.88/draw which has to be paid back at the end of the month. That is over $1700 they owe. It comes out of the commissions they earn, most of the time the sales receive a 4 - 8% commission based on how much they have delivered that month. Then there are times they only get paid 2% on discounted or sale items. Sometimes they don't get paid at all. WOW!!! If the go in arrears there is a chance they person will get fired.
Also if they let a certain number of guest walk without closing they can get fired. Imagine working for nothing. Many employees work for nothing. Instead of running from a sales entertain him, joke cut up make it worth not getting paid. How would you feel If I come into your job and cause you NOT to get paid?
Nobody is forcing you...or anyone else...to work there. Their high pressure sales tactics are offputting to the point I won't shop there. I would rather pay the higher prices and be allowed to shop in peace, thanks.
John

United States

#48 Jan 11, 2013
You are an idiot. The sales tax is calculated and dropped off the single highest item and then added back in to give you an out the door price. Jesus Christ... Red necks that haven't ever taken a simplistic math class
BOB

Troy, MI

#49 Nov 7, 2013
Here is the deal just dont buy at Art Van the prices on Mattress are inflated you will pay more than at a smaller mattress store for the same thing.
(2)If you have a problem they will not correct it they will do everything they can to get out of it.
(3) Trust me never again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WLLA channel 64 - off the air? (Feb '12) 2 hr glassy girl 8
Obama and cocaine addicts 9 hr Leroy 11
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 15 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 105
go blue goes black 23 hr Idea Maker 68
Crowd Walks Out On Obama 23 hr no_more_dems 6
Watch Racebaiter Oprah Wigout On Guest's Opinion Tue Eldasha 54
How bad are grand rapids roads Tue a commenter 3
Marne Dating
Find my Match

Marne Jobs

Marne People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Marne News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Marne

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]