WZZM13 - Jeffrey Van Vels arraigned

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Grand Rapids- Jeffrey VanVels was arraigned this afternoon in Grand Rapids District Court for the shooting death of Grand Rapids Police Officer Robert Kozminski.
Comments
1 - 20 of 56 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kaili

Ionia, MI

#1 Jul 10, 2007
Vanvels deserves everything that he has coming to him for what he did to Kosminski and his family
Pat

Byron Center, MI

#2 Jul 10, 2007
I pray for the family of the officer.. and the police force. this is not a good thing. I pray he gets a just punishment... but this is for any person...no one deserves to die that way.
rlt

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Jul 10, 2007
he should be hung publicly in Rosa Parks Circle !
Louis

Greenville, MI

#4 Jul 10, 2007
Oh come on. This guy was a cop. He isn't any more special then the next person. He jumped in the middle of a domestic situation. I don't know if any of you know how vital those situations can turn into. However more times then not they solve themselves without police interferance. I have time and time again seen officers walk into these situations and then judge for themselves right there on the scene who was at fault without any factual information. They usually lock up the male who isn't always to blame. I don't blame this guy for going off and doing what he felt he had to do. No one should step into family business.
Sharon B

Wayland, MI

#5 Jul 10, 2007
THIS IS IN REPLY TO "RLT COMMENT" I AM PRAYING FOR "BOTH,COP AND KILLER'S FAMILIES, I'M SURE THE KILLER WILL GO TO PRISON FOR LIFE AND WHAT HE DID WAS HORRIBLE,BUT THINK BACK 15 OR SO YEARS AGO WHEN A GRAND RAPIDS COP KILLED A JUDGE,I DON'T REMEMBER ANY CRIES FOR A PUBLIC HANGING FOR HIM,JUST NEWS OF WHAT A HARD TIME HE WAS GOING THROUGH,BUT NO MENTION OF HOW HE SAT DOWN AT KONKLES BAR ON BRIDGE ST. GETTING DRUNK BEFORE HEADING DOWN TO THE COURT-HOUSE TO SHOOT HER. IF WE ARE GOING TO START HANGINGS DOWNTOWN,LETS START FIRST WITH THE PERVERTS OUT THERE THAT HURT THE CHILDREN...THEN NEXT GO ON TO THE COP KILLERS,OKAY?...LETS PUT SOME ORDER TO THESE HANGINGS...

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#6 Jul 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
Oh come on. This guy was a cop. He isn't any more special then the next person. He jumped in the middle of a domestic situation. I don't know if any of you know how vital those situations can turn into. However more times then not they solve themselves without police interferance. I have time and time again seen officers walk into these situations and then judge for themselves right there on the scene who was at fault without any factual information. They usually lock up the male who isn't always to blame. I don't blame this guy for going off and doing what he felt he had to do. No one should step into family business.
Yep, they solve themselves all on their own. That's why there are battered women shelters and families broken up from the death of the mom or dad from the hands of another. Please! The FAMILY called 911 afraid for their lives! Are the police just suppose to tell them 'sorry, we don't respond to those calls. Don't worry, it will all work out on their own'. If he felt he HAD to do this, please explain how he made the shot from OUTSIDE the house??

And having been in a domestic violence situation, the police that responded did NOT make any judgement about the situation until they spoke to both of us, oh, and the children.

So Louis, unless you have walked a mile in the person who called 911's shoes, or dealt with her husband she had a PPO order out against, I really don't see where your comments are even valid about the death of one of GRPD's officers.
eric

Woodstock, GA

#7 Jul 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
he should have shot you, bastard. I hope one day you need the police and they dont come.
Fro

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Jul 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
Dude, you are an I D I O T and I hope you burn in h e l l. I hope someone makes this world a better place and shoots YOU in the face.
To louis

United States

#9 Jul 10, 2007
Don't get into family business, huh?? Let me guess...you got caught beating up on your wife, and a cop stepped into your family business and took your sorry butt to jail...am I close?? Yep, that sounds about right to me! Usually the only people who have negative things to say about police officers are the ones who are out there breaking the law and have to pay the consequences...
The guy who killed that police officer is a coward...hiding in the garage...
and how he is right where he should be...surrounded by officers of the law...I bet you he is just SLIGHTLY uncomfortable in there!! his day to pay will indeed come!
JMS

United States

#10 Jul 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
Spoken like a true wife beater.
whatagem

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Jul 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
louie, let me guess, we just heard from another wife beater!
Brad

Madison, AL

#12 Jul 10, 2007
Sounds like someone has a bit of a grudge with their own run ins with the law!! How about you go out and step into an officers shoes for just a week and I guarantee that you will have an entirely different perspetctive on this situation, and the world around your. Your comments were just about as insensitive to the family of the slain officer as they could be. Good job "Upstanding Citizen"
Louis wrote:
memory loss huh

United States

#13 Jul 10, 2007
Sharon B wrote:
THIS IS IN REPLY TO "RLT COMMENT" I AM PRAYING FOR "BOTH,COP AND KILLER'S FAMILIES, I'M SURE THE KILLER WILL GO TO PRISON FOR LIFE AND WHAT HE DID WAS HORRIBLE,BUT THINK BACK 15 OR SO YEARS AGO WHEN A GRAND RAPIDS COP KILLED A JUDGE,I DON'T REMEMBER ANY CRIES FOR A PUBLIC HANGING FOR HIM,JUST NEWS OF WHAT A HARD TIME HE WAS GOING THROUGH,BUT NO MENTION OF HOW HE SAT DOWN AT KONKLES BAR ON BRIDGE ST. GETTING DRUNK BEFORE HEADING DOWN TO THE COURT-HOUSE TO SHOOT HER. IF WE ARE GOING TO START HANGINGS DOWNTOWN,LETS START FIRST WITH THE PERVERTS OUT THERE THAT HURT THE CHILDREN...THEN NEXT GO ON TO THE COP KILLERS,OKAY?...LETS PUT SOME ORDER TO THESE HANGINGS...
Unfog your memory ... there was plenty of outrage....outrage that the cop was allowed to get to her when there was a restraining order against him....outrage after the fact in sentencing.... the guidelines were followed to the letter. There was a lot of anger about that shooting. And by the way she had a name Judge Carol Irons...(not forgotten)
memory loss huh

United States

#14 Jul 10, 2007
By the way ... we supposedly live in a civilized society.... hangings are a long gone thing.
memory loss huh

United States

#15 Jul 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
If you are not an abuser... you certainly have the potential to be one. Having been an abused spouse I recognize the language of an abuser. I hope yu have no chldren that you are teaching these values.
i care

Pontiac, MI

#16 Jul 10, 2007
this is no doubt an extremely sad situation....lets try not to judge one another...let our hearts go out to the families...my humble opinion is people should not get married (or have children for that matter) without first living with one another.....it seems we live in a sensitive world where jealousy tends to play a part...my first marriage i did the 'proper' way....not again....although this obviously isn't always the case but i think to truly know someone you really have to live with them....anyway....thank you to officers (and troops for that matter) who choose to help protect me....and my true condolences to everyone that this really hits home with...keep the faith

“Go TIGERS!!”

Since: Nov 07

Wayland, MI

#18 Nov 10, 2007
Good freaking GOD!!! DAMN good thing I wasn't on here back when this happend..I would have been thrown off here so stinkin fast!!!!!

Since: Jul 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Nov 10, 2007
5ducklings wrote:
Good freaking GOD!!! DAMN good thing I wasn't on here back when this happend..I would have been thrown off here so stinkin fast!!!!!
...feel free to comment..there is no time limit

Since: Oct 07

Encino, CA

#20 Nov 10, 2007
memory loss huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfog your memory ... there was plenty of outrage....outrage that the cop was allowed to get to her when there was a restraining order against him....outrage after the fact in sentencing.... the guidelines were followed to the letter. There was a lot of anger about that shooting. And by the way she had a name Judge Carol Irons...(not forgotten)
PS...the cop was Judge Irons husband, and officers did return fire on him...

Since: Oct 07

Middleville, MI

#21 Nov 10, 2007
Louis wrote:
No actually the a hole was hiding in his garage and shot him as he walked to the front door. He ambushed him and deserves to die for what he did. I know his daughter and his daughters mother personally. You are way off base.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 27 min Buffalo Bull 1,329
Meet The Press 40 min Really 5
Van Buren County makes changeover to video cour... 11 hr Anon 1
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 15 hr Oneal 15
Movie Theater Demolished 15 hr Oneal 14
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 21 hr JimGR 937
A long-time cafe in the East Hills are may close Sun Dominic 1
•••
•••
•••

Marne Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000