College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

Full story: Detroit Free Press

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.
Comments
721 - 740 of 1,274 Comments Last updated Yesterday

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

You had never told me that story...your step dad was a genuine hero... and he found someone that he could tell his story to... My dad didn't he never discussed it with me, my mom, his second wife or his drinking buddy who was the last person on this planet he hadn't alienated, the drinking buddy called me in order to have someone who would claim him, make medical decisions...I think that it all weighed too much and he never got from under that huge weight and it crushed him...Have you ever read "Slaughter house five?" that weight drove Kurt Vaunegauht (sp) insane..And I fear that fate for my nephew who is now in Afganistan again....82nd airborne...master sgt...3rd time in that country 1 time in Iraq...gave up a marriage to the damn war...If there is any justice on this Earth it will be his last sacrifice..It seems only yesterday when I signed up him as an18 year old to play Left wing on my line in my last year of hockey...Right now football talk can wait till the next post..I guess i feel that weight

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

You may know this, but was'nt that miniseries, Band of Brothers....about the 82nd?....Frank told me, early on D-Day, they came inland and missed their site...landing in the woods and trees, very dangerous cause you can't see the branches pointed at you....lol....Never read Slaughterhouse 5, but used to read a lot of Tom Clancy and Stephen King, also Shelby Foote, who recently passed, along with Clancy....Last year was a bitch on good writers....i don't read well, so the internet and newspaper are my limitations......Hope your nephew makes it back and is okay....some do....Tommy was 67 or so, when he passed, recently.....Frank was like 74.....some can just walk away....Today is jewfood and cordless phone shopping, wish me luck?....lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

I am optimistic...you will survive phone shopping and food shopping as well. I am optiistic about the nephew too.. not all damage is physical.. some are mental some are social and personal like his marriage... If your playing the odds he wil come back and remarry..regaining that loss. that wasa low blow...infidelity..sign the papers..hop the plane....I had read that the paratroopers in WWII also landed in areas Rommell had ordered flooded... he was defending against a drop...the weight of their equipment drown them. Slaughterhouse 5 was good and to a large extent biographical Vaungaught was captured in the Bulge was sent to Dresden to work in a slaughterhouse... then came the fire bombing ..The few surviving American had to dispose of thousands of dead German..His mind melted and refused reality... he retreats into an alternate reality..later he struggles to return

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

If you've seen, The Killing Fields....what the writer went through, is much like Dip Prong goes through in Cambodia, before his NY Times reporter friend finds and rescues him...an alternate reality.....i feel damn lucky i stayed 2S, and in college, until it was pretty much over...I can't believe McCain and others speak so casually about getting involved in every situation....I see him now as a brave American, past his use by date.....Well, we made it back, okay....but, you never know....the bowels of Delray Beach can be a hazardous landscape....my wife knows how to drive, but does'nt....someday, i tell her...it will be you out here, driving slow in the left lane....lol.....Drove back, up the beach....For anyone who questions our economic stability, a slow drive up A1A would do them a world of good.....lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

I liked the wording of that "The bowels of DelRay beach..." The only time I have heard of an area described as such...I think of Gary Ind. or East St.Louis Ill. or even Lackawana NY as bowels...The economic stabilty of Western New York is shown in the fact that for the first time in decades there appears to be as much creation as destruction...We have one foot still in the grave and the other firmly planted on a banana peel...On the content of McCain's rantings we agree, and he should be an AM radio talk show host as opposed to a US Senator...However , I have been to Arizona enough to know that a large portion of that states population view McCain as a Pinko- Commie-RINO...Thus when he finally shuffles off to his well earned retirement most likely we will end up with a pathological liar like John Kyl...So pick your poison.. I respect McCains sacrifice, not his concepts, making it more personal than that would be a Tea-party type trait. As wrong as he is I don't think it's like Kyl on planned parenthood when he claimed 90% of what they do is abortion...when corrected he said "I never meant that to be taken as a factual statement"...It's one thing to be dead wrong it's another to be both dead wrong and a bald faced liar.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

I recall Gary having a bad smell, and alway's wondering how people could live in those little houses, so close to the mill....Later i learned just how depressing that smell can be...lol....In highschool, we used to go to U.S. 30 Dragway on Sundays...just east of Valporaiso, Indiana....Have alot of great memories of N. Indiana.....especially a little, amish town...Shipshewana.....Home of the greatest pies ever known....never really appreciated the place, until i got older.....As for the GOP, i think we can both agree...they have a real lack of proper leadership....I mean, within three weeks, they have cut funding to our veterans, fought againest the much needed, higher minimum wage and last week, accused this administration of complacency, while rattling their sabers over the Ukraine....How can any American respect those twisted values?....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

You had mentioned Shipshewana previously. some day a pie eating contest could be in order...Northern Indiana was just a place you drove through before hitting Chicago. The unpleasant smell...A buffalo girl is dating a local boy...she tells him to kiss her where it smells...He drives to Lackawanna..." Same thing Bethlehem steel...How smart are we?...We put a massive steel plant ten miles upstream...There are a few micro-foundries opened up in the rotting carcass...but most of that plant is shuttered. In my some ties less than humble opinion the problem with the GOP is two fold...First there is no vision...everything is tactical...how do we injure Obama?...The second thing also impedes the formation of a coherent vision is the Tea's...The remaining Republicans who give a crap about the country are caught up between those who are engaged in short term tactical thinking...and those who view life as a string of conspiracies aimed at them...Not much oxygen reaches them at the depths that they operate

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

I think John Huntsman and Jeb Bush, are both quality Republicans, tuned toward bringing the party back toward the center....but Fox and the far reich have screwed up the mindset so bad.....who knows, eh?.....Knew a guy, back in the late 70's, that had worked for U.S. Steel in Youngstown, Ohio for over 23 years....told me sad stories about the death of the mill, and then the town....Everything i have seen over the years, seem's like we did all this to ourselves...Wonder how you legislate againest depth of greed?......We were driving home yesterday, up A!A....that is where some of the enemy dwell, big beautiful mansions, along the beach.....Bull, it's the 1% of the 1%, that did most of this destruction.....I've known many of them....they don't seem that different.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

Yes i have seen the 1%'s greed and a working man's problems. I get to talk to guys with$250,000 salaries eexpense accounts and stock options... that stuff warps all but the strongest...back during the Reagan r ecession the machine shop that i was involved with contracted in size radically i was running 3rd with two oldtimers on who had worked bethlehem and the other was as hokker chemical. and were working in their latter years as rented mules for a small company on life suport ...The gulf between the rich and the rest is a monument to our stupidity...Now lets talk real gap between rich and poor. sabres blackhawks to night . sabres top two scorers Hodgson 34 points and tyler Ennis 34 points the black hawks top scorer is Buffalo boy Pat Kane 65 points as much as our top 2 combined but it get better the hawks also have Sharp (62 pts) Teows (61) Hossa and Kieth (50) Saad (42) and Seabrook (37).....
UB won the MAC east and is a co- favorite to play the big dance the MAC tourny starts thursday...Canisus is in the MAAC semi final to day ay 4 ...could be a great year for the locals in NCAA hoops

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

Congrats to UB in their march toward March Madness.....Michigan lost two to the NBA, and their best big, to injury...but impressively won the Big-10 outright...Great Coach.....watched them beat Indiana....went to that game in Ann Arbor, in 1977...lol.....I'm screwed on watching any hockey tonight....up againest Walking Dead and True Detective.....Watched part of North Carolina-Duke, yesterday...Classic rivalry, and two of the best coaches......Sharp is one of my Blackhawk faves....i alway's pay attention, when his shift is on.....an Pat Kane is like a little mongoose, around goalies....lol.....like a Jack Russell....BTW, i have lived here long enough to learn, there is good and bad about living on the beach.....when hurricanes get close, your balls recede back into your body cavity.....and the salt air corrodes the crap outta your car and dwelling......Daily beach also leads to skin like a handbag.....lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

And you had lived in the north long enough to know that when it is sub zero...your balls recede into your body cavity...The street salt eats through your car like a cancer ..and over exposure to cold can give you that leathered look....So life in Buffalo and on a Florida beach is basically equal....Except for the fact the girls are more effective as eye candy when they dress in damn near nothing then they are dress in a parka and 4 sweaters....Black hawks are the most talented team in the NHL...Neuverith or Enroth better get ready...As far as i understand MAC rules the Bulls are already assured of NIT at minimum...Canisus has to make it to the finals of the MAAC in order to get certain postseason play. If you do get a chance to watch UB they got a sr. who I think could be a NBA prospect...Not Kahlil Mack good but a nice prospect..Javon McCrea 6'7' 19 points per game 57% from the field

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

As usual on Sunday, i started watching Detroit-NY Rangers and fell asleep. hoping it would still be on later...only to wake up to golf.....wonder who won?...lol...Yeah, i recall what all the salt did to those cars....we used to call some of it cancer, when it would rot from the inside out.....One item from up north, you start forgetting with years....pot holes.....drove on an interstate from Indiana toward Chicago that had potholes at 65 mph....pretty exciting....Blackhawks may have a better path in the playoffs, by being in the West....before today's game, they were talking about...if the playoffs started today, Detroit-Pittsburgh would meet in the first round.....and how last year, Redwings beat the Ducks in the first round, and that they almost beat the Blackhawks in the semis......Too bad they split up Det-Chi.....maybe when they lose or add a team, they can fix it? Hope you are feeling better, and that the weather is more agreeable?

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

3-0 Rangers over Detroit...Detroit is starting to show some age.. but are dangerous in any serious.. it is too bad having Chicago and Detroit in diffrent divisions...But that is the NHL in action...Dont forget at one time Toronto was in the west...not having toronto and Montreal in the same divison...Montreal will be a interesting team they picked up Tomas Vanek makes them dangerous....With the cold winter we have some huge craters in our streets...And then the DPW is out there with cold patch and the temperature drops the patch doesn't bind...Potholes are an entertaining and enjoyable feature adding so much to northen life. ... i love adding that degree of difficulty to every day functions the other thing that you forget is how to drive on ice.. a couple years back Uncle from Arizona comes up and he is stuck driving on ice he ended up in a ditch

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

Redwings are missing 2-3 of the best players....Datsuyk is one of them....i like the Ranger's goalie and that was his 300th win......Watched Blackhawks-Sabers.....Chicago just has too much talent, but 2-1 is a respectable loss....Did you see Patrick Kane in HS-College, up there? He is really dangerous, in front of a goalie.....I remember how hard winter is on cars....i garaged my Mustang and had a $400 67 VW Bug, that was my beater....1967 was that cars best year...40 HP engine and first year of 12 volt electrical...lol....Beetles did very well in snow and ice....I remember that the most important trick to driving in all that, was to underdrive, rather than overdrive.....Did i tell you about all the additional homes listed, up north in just the last few months? I look at them, here on topix.....too many shown, all covered in snow...I might have stayed in Michigan, like my cousins...if i had'nt been down here so much, growing up.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

I didn't see Kane play up here but a guy I knew, coached a team that had played v. Kane when Patrick was just going into high school...He told me Kane had a game where he score something like 7 goal and had a few assists ...this guy kid was the goalie who was shelled..That guy and his kid have some kind of bragging rights.
My favorite vehicle is the '99 econoline that i currently drive...Toss a little weight in the ass end and the thing becomes an urban tank....Other than the expectable repairs...not a hint of trouble..Sometimes drive the wifes mitsubiti ...feels like a go cart..handles snow pretty good...The other trick to snow and ice is to have a decent grade of all weather radials...
My sister called yesterday fretting about her boy off in Afganistan...
The changing of the clocks messed me up ..for the first time in a long time i overslept

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

Kane has that look in his eyes, like he was a "Gymrat" as a kid....many of those guys were good at several sports....i was amazed at how many at that game, had Blackhawks jerseys on.....I had a 74 Ford Supervan, Econoline...bought it new, for like $4300....fixed up the inside, then almost ruined my marriage...lol....Unfortunatel y with big, wide GOODYEAR, raised white letters on, it was next to useless in the winter......Hope your nephew makes it home, okay....I think Obama is getting tired of Karzai's bullshit, and would really like to moonwalk outta there, pronto.....Evev though, that may be described as a show of weakness, by the GOP talking heads....lol....Gotta admit, even i am impressed with how well, our economy has survived this severe winter...that is a real sign of strength....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

I know a large portion of the talking heads will squawk about a show of weekness the Rand Paul wing will call him a war monger if he says boo...Remember the syria debate in here...and in DC...The GOP ihas a split personality and how do you have a constructive debate with that?
BTW
After the olympics you mentioned hockey as Canada's game...In my day it was their game..Here is why i can not agree today..
Buffalo products in the NHL
Pat Kane...Brooks Orpik (Pitts)... Marcus (BUF) and Nick ( Columbus) Foligno... Lee Stempniak (Pitts)... Patrick Kaleta (BUF)... Chris Mueller (Dallas)... Tim Kennedy (SJ) if I can go beyond the city and immediate suburbs I could add Ryan Callahan (Fla)... Brian Gionta (NJ) and Jacob Trouba (Win)
If i am taking these kids across the border to play against teams from southern ontario , I am not telling them It's an honor to be here..I am telling the were here to bust down the door... break their furniture and their heart by beating them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2014

I still think hockey is much bigger in Canada....Gold Medal, right?....I know it has made great strides here, much like soccer.....Geez, i remember that Kalamazoo highschools had hockey years ago.....I think places like Buffalo and Minnesota are good for hockey, and it takes everyone's mind of the harsh winters.....Hope you guys are doing okay, as i see you're getting even more snow.....Watched the end of Penguins-Caps, last night....Penguin's are really a talented team, glad they won as i don't care for Ovechkin at all....seem's too cocky.....Wife has me going grocery shopping, Babyback ribs at $2.99 a pound....too hard to pass up...lol...Funny, on Sportscenter they have been talking about Phil Jackson alot....and about how he has become a big hockey fan, since leaving the Lakers.....lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2014

Did you hear about Rich Peverley Dallas Stars center he had a 'Cardiac event' onthe bench during the game v. Columbus...The emt's laid him out in a hallway and were using a defibrillator on him and chest compressions on him...he went back into rhythm. And is in good condition..The game was not finished....Peverley came over from Boston he had an irregular heart beat issue once before
Speaking of Babybacks...My son and I went to Applebee's. My sons dinner comes out...the waitress never checks in until he is done...She was clueless as to why i wanted to talk to the manager...He was clueless as well...When I said i'm not paying for anything,ok?...He said he wasn't authorized to do that ...I tell him "Well then call a cop 'cause we are leaving"...We were 10 feet from the door when the bozo ran up and said it was ok...I didn't have to pay.... duh...double duh...so now I got Applebee's gift cards that i may have to re-gift...your birthday anytime soon?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2014

I alway's remember the Dave Attell line...Applebees----Not so bad, but could be better....So, they forgot your meal completely?.....Yeah, i meant to bring up that Dallas Star.....surprised kinda, that they did'nt play out the game, especially when they knew he was back and breathing on his own....they are hard to make up....Last game they retired Mike Modano's jersey....spent his whole career with one club....Northstars-Stars....I alway's liked him....Also glad that Minnesota got another team.....I think in America, hockey is everywhere from about Mass and you.....all the way to Minnesota and even N.Dakota.....Liked that story, during the Olympics about that little town in Wisconsin...War something, where all the hockey olympians have come from.....Bought Blue Bunny ice cream at the store.....we love Blue Bell, but never tried this kind.....Had like 8 things on my list and ended up at $114.....lol.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Marne Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Marne Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••