SACK Basketball
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hoops Mom

Forest Park, IL

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Recently moved to Oak Forest and we are considering athletic options for our boys. We had heard some information about SACK Basketball, and also heard some good and some bad opinions. Interested in hearing more opinions to see if this is worth it for my kids.
sad sac

Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 16, 2013
Hoops Mom wrote:
Recently moved to Oak Forest and we are considering athletic options for our boys. We had heard some information about SACK Basketball, and also heard some good and some bad opinions. Interested in hearing more opinions to see if this is worth it for my kids.
All I can say is my son was in sac 10 yrs ago and it was not a positive experience. He was and still is a great athlete but we had a terrible coach. The guy really did not know what he was doing. He played his favorite kid and his EXTREMELY LAME SON all the time. Playing time was so lopsided that my son asked me if we paid the same amount of money as everyone else!!
Hopefully the coaching has improved!
try it

Midlothian, IL

#3 Jan 16, 2013
I have not tried it, but have heard good things about it from a lot of people.
Greg

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 17, 2013
Son is in it and its been nothing but an awesome experience!!!!
Mariella

Forest Park, IL

#5 Jan 29, 2013
There are some good things about it, but it will be much better when the guy that runs it retires this year. His team that he coaches always seems to be the best and they win championships. It nice to be the guy that pays the refs.
OF Mom

United States

#7 Jan 30, 2013
Just Wondering wrote:
Is there a board to this organization or one person runs it? Would like to know if they have bylaws. Did you know they exclude homeschooled children?
My son played SAK and my daughter is currently in the program (I also played as a kid) and it has been a very good experience. Itís a recreational league so itís really about having fun and teaching kids the fundamentals. There are rules in place that ensure that everyone gets playing time. It is run by a board and a new board of very capable and dedicated members will take over next year. Everyone is welcome to play, even if you are homeschooled. There is a sign-up this weekend at Hille and Arbor. If you are not a returning player it is likely you will be put on a wait list. I think itís a great league and I am happy my kids participated in it.
Res

Chicago, IL

#8 Jan 30, 2013
Mariella wrote:
There are some good things about it, but it will be much better when the guy that runs it retires this year. His team that he coaches always seems to be the best and they win championships. It nice to be the guy that pays the refs.
You are the reason blogs have a bad name. Pay the refs? You have to be dilusional.
Just Wondering

Chicago, IL

#9 Jan 30, 2013
I was told my kids couldn't play because they were homeschooled.
Just Saying

Chicago, IL

#10 Jan 30, 2013
Just Wondering wrote:
I was told my kids couldn't play because they were homeschooled.
I have never heard that there is a school pre-requisite for SACK Basketball! My kids are in it and been nothing, but a good experience! You should check again about the home school thing, not sure why that would be an issue?
Mariella

Forest Park, IL

#11 Jan 31, 2013
Res wrote:
<quoted text>You are the reason blogs have a bad name. Pay the refs? You have to be dilusional.
Yes, the head of the league is the guy that pays the refs. Make sense? And he's also a coach. Make sense? And his team always drafts the best players. Make sense?
Res

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Mariella wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the head of the league is the guy that pays the refs. Make sense? And he's also a coach. Make sense? And his team always drafts the best players. Make sense?
You infer that the coach is paying off the refs under the table, sounds like you would do that if you had the oppurtunity, Yes, you are dilusional. Every organization has someone running it, that does not mean they get special treatment by the refs. He probably drafts well because he researches players and gets info from his players which he takes note of. maybe he is just the best coach.
The Guys who runs it

Tinley Park, IL

#13 Feb 10, 2013
I think it is a great league. It stands on its own and has been doing so for 50 years. As per the comments of Marella. I am not a head coach and have not been on for 12 years. I do not get involved in the draft nor do I pick the girls that are on the team my daughter plays on. In fact I put all the senior girls into the draft this year so the teams would be built from the ground up. The order of the pick was pulled out of a hat ( I did not pick the team names) and the drafting process was started. The first time I saw the team rosters was when we collected the sheets at the end of draft night. During the drafting I was sitting with the Junior Boys teams to answer questions and keep track of their picks. If you have issues than you should contact me directly. I feel this league and the why it has been run for 12 years has no agenda other than making it a good experience for everyone When we asked for people to come forward to make up the new board were you one of the families to do so? I handled various suggestions within my tenure and implemented many of them to improve the league. If you have issues with me or this league talk to me directly especially if you question my integrity. Show some courage in your beliefs and within yourself.
The Guys who runs it

Tinley Park, IL

#14 Feb 10, 2013
S.A.K. Basketball is not tied to any School District or Park District. Any family can be a part of the program. We have in the past had home schooled players.
Sports mom

Chicago, IL

#15 Feb 10, 2013
Both my sons & my daughter played SAK. My oldest also coached a team when he was 18. He looked to see who he wanted before the draft, picked a decent team and did a great job coaching. He was also a certified referee and ref'd a few games before going to college. He was never influenced on who to draft or to even make certain calls in a game. He always played, coached & ref'd fairly. And that was always appreciated by the parents & the league. SAK is a great experience for new players learning the game & advanced players looking to have some fun.
Daughter of President

United States

#16 Feb 10, 2013
It hurts to see comments like the ones from Mariella when the person has absolutely no idea how much time, energy and love my family has put into this program. Not once has my father done anything inappropriate to better himself or his daughters' teams. He's been coaching basketball since before I was born (and I'm 20 years old) so I think he knows a thing or two about the game. Heck, if he was doing something wrong then there should have been no reason that my team was consistently in last place when I played and he coached. So I think you must be misinformed.

I know firsthand there has never been a case of foul play or your insisted referee bribing while we have been involved with SAK. That's not the point of the program. SAK was originaly started 50 years ago to allow kids the opportunity to play who might not be able to in their respective school. That's the same motto we have today. The league was in great condition when we took it over and has improved ever since, such as the addition with more teams for younger age groups.

I fear for the future of this organization, knowing it might never be as cared for as it is now. And it's parents like you, Mariella, who will bring the league down if you can't appreciate the excellent and fair program that our community has been given.
Greg

Chicago, IL

#17 Feb 11, 2013
The Guys who runs it wrote:
I think it is a great league. It stands on its own and has been doing so for 50 years. As per the comments of Marella. I am not a head coach and have not been on for 12 years. I do not get involved in the draft nor do I pick the girls that are on the team my daughter plays on. In fact I put all the senior girls into the draft this year so the teams would be built from the ground up. The order of the pick was pulled out of a hat ( I did not pick the team names) and the drafting process was started. The first time I saw the team rosters was when we collected the sheets at the end of draft night. During the drafting I was sitting with the Junior Boys teams to answer questions and keep track of their picks. If you have issues than you should contact me directly. I feel this league and the why it has been run for 12 years has no agenda other than making it a good experience for everyone When we asked for people to come forward to make up the new board were you one of the families to do so? I handled various suggestions within my tenure and implemented many of them to improve the league. If you have issues with me or this league talk to me directly especially if you question my integrity. Show some courage in your beliefs and within yourself.
I usually could care less what happens on here.... BUT! As long as my son has been playing SAK it has been nothing but an awesome experience for him and the other players. my son has been on teams from the best in the league to the worst and he really didnt care ( he just wanted to play ball).... I have seen you at alot of his games where you have ref'ed and you have been awesome (You actually stopped play and told the kids what they did wrong when they are called for a foul) I too am worried whats gonna happen when you leave but thats what change is all about nobody likes it.
The Guy who runs it

Tinley Park, IL

#18 Feb 11, 2013
I greatly appreciate the support from Greg and the others that have taken the time to write about the league. I truly do not want my familyís tenure watching over this league to be defined by a Blog in the 11th hour. For the last 10+ years we have been very approachable our contact information, email and our presence every weekend provided more than enough ways for the parents and players to share their ideas and concerns. We have taken the league from 200+ players to over 345+, also expanded the grades of participation from 4th - 8th to now 2nd Ė 8th . More kids, more families, more court time to improve their skills and most importantly their confidence. S.A.K. has maxed out their facilities capacity and maintains a wait list for most divisions the last seven years. We have always used as a guide to make sure everyone is treated the same, no hidden agendas, no politics, when a decision was made it was reviewed to make sure it did not put people, players or teams at an advantage or create a disadvantage. I feel we achieved that environment and were able to be a positive part of hundreds of familiesí lives for a brief moment. As the league transfers over to a capable group of families it would be my hope that the structure and concept handed to me and now to them will provide new players and their families the same opportunity that my daughters and I had when we played in this league. Scarlet + Arbor + Kimberly S.A.K. Basketball
great thing

Midlothian, IL

#19 Feb 11, 2013
I do not have children in SAK, but I have heard wonderful things about it. I applaud the people that work so hard to help run the program. Please don't let a few people who hide behind a screen get you down. Your commitment to the program and the kids is a great thing. Thank you.
Big Fan

Tinley Park, IL

#20 Feb 12, 2013
My son's fourth year in SAK and we absolutely love it. Every year we have met great kids and parents we wouldn't have met otherwise. Games and practices are always on time and super organized. Which is appreciated when you're running multiple kids to different events. My brothers sisters and inlaws all love coming to watch thier nephew on sat then out for lunch together. My family has organized different events and competitions. Our respect goes out to the SAK Family. They do a wonderful job! Just look at the kids they LOVE it. Looking forward to the next 2 years. Oh by the way. Thank you thank you thank you for all you guys have done for our children!
Interesting

United States

#21 Feb 12, 2013
The thing to remember is that this group is all volunteers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Markham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Kasparek New City Auditor Addresses City C... (Oct '15) 1 hr Money Distributio... 72
Village Hall Painted 3 hr firestater 38
Fill the large pot hole on Western ave in fron... 4 hr Look again 4
Public Hearing on the water rate increase 12 hr 115 Acres 39
Welcome to Blue Island Park District! (Sep '12) 16 hr Tommys the man 55
She Gone Thu Resident 3
BI Finance Committee Thu Then Again 130

Markham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Markham Mortgages