Olympia Fields Today
Old Timer

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Jun 21, 2013
I grew up in Olympia Fields but have long since moved away. I often remember the idyllic childhood I had there in the 70's and 80's and wondered what it's like living there now? Is it still a peaceful and quiet burb? Maybe a long time resident might comment on what it's like today?
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#2 Jun 21, 2013
Old Timer wrote:
I grew up in Olympia Fields but have long since moved away. I often remember the idyllic childhood I had there in the 70's and 80's and wondered what it's like living there now? Is it still a peaceful and quiet burb? Maybe a long time resident might comment on what it's like today?
Check out this link:

http://www.muninetguide.com/states/illinois/o...

One look at the demographics on the right should tell the whole story. And unfortunately it's the same for all the south suburbs now. This happened when Mayor Daley Jr. decided to tear down all the old housing projects in Chicago. Guess where all the "residents" of the projects moved to? The south suburbs, and this started a rapid spiral downward for all of those once fine communities.

So, if you want to keep all of your fond childhood memories intact, don't go back there now; you'll be in for a shock!
Old Timer

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Jun 21, 2013
Get Off My Lawn wrote:
<quoted text> Guess where all the "residents" of the projects moved to? The south suburbs
You make it sound like a wholesale movement of the projects..is it really THAT bad? It's hard for me to envision that area as 'blighted', like the projects used to be...
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#4 Jun 22, 2013
Old Timer wrote:
<quoted text>
You make it sound like a wholesale movement of the projects..is it really THAT bad? It's hard for me to envision that area as 'blighted', like the projects used to be...
Well, it's not going to be as bad as Cabrini Green back in the day, but it's certainly heading in that direction! It's the Section 8 housing program that brought the former projects troublemakers to the south suburbs. They move in, crime rate skyrockets, whites start to move out, property values plummet because so many houses are for sale, businesses start to close, town starts to go to hell, more section 8 housing, more white flight, and the vicious cycle continues until the town is total ghetto!

This has happened time after time in the south suburbs. Places like Dolton, Calumet City, Harvey, and Riverdale are already long gone. Country Club Hills, Olympia Fields, South Holland, and Park Forest are well on their way. Lansing, Homewood and Flossmoor are about halfway there. And the list goes on and on.

I grew up in Lansing from 1958 - 1976. Couldn't ask for a better town to grow up in; totally safe. I don't think the back door of our house was ever locked the whole time we lived there! My dad always left his keys in his car, no problem! And it pretty much stayed that way until the early '90's.

But when the projects came down, that vicious cycle started in Lansing too. I last visited there in 2009, and I was shocked! Took a drive down Torrence Ave on a Sunday afternoon and I think the only white people I saw were in my car! The few people I know that still live there say that crime is way up, and the only reason they stay is that with the sick economy they can't sell their homes, except at a huge loss! There are 400 or more houses for sale in Lansing at any given time!

Check out that link, scroll down and look at some of the other nearby towns. It's the same story. Sad, but true!
Old Timer

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Jun 23, 2013
Get Off My Lawn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it's not going to be as bad as Cabrini Green back in the day, but it's certainly heading in that direction! It's the Section 8 housing program that brought the former projects troublemakers to the south suburbs. They move in, crime rate skyrockets, whites start to move out, property values plummet because so many houses are for sale, businesses start to close, town starts to go to hell, more section 8 housing, more white flight, and the vicious cycle continues until the town is total ghetto!

This has happened time after time in the south suburbs. Places like Dolton, Calumet City, Harvey, and Riverdale are already long gone. Country Club Hills, Olympia Fields, South Holland, and Park Forest are well on their way. Lansing, Homewood and Flossmoor are about halfway there. And the list goes on and on.

I grew up in Lansing from 1958 - 1976. Couldn't ask for a better town to grow up in; totally safe. I don't think the back door of our house was ever locked the whole time we lived there! My dad always left his keys in his car, no problem! And it pretty much stayed that way until the early '90's.

But when the projects came down, that vicious cycle started in Lansing too. I last visited there in 2009, and I was shocked! Took a drive down Torrence Ave on a Sunday afternoon and I think the only white people I saw were in my car! The few people I know that still live there say that crime is way up, and the only reason they stay is that with the sick economy they can't sell their homes, except at a huge loss! There are 400 or more houses for sale in Lansing at any given time!

Check out that link, scroll down and look at some of the other nearby towns. It's the same story. Sad, but true!
I spent some of my early teenage years living in Calumet City on Michigan City Road and had friends who lived in Lansing. I took a look at the link you provided and it really was enlightening. Looks to me like the gentrification of the City proper was deemed more important that suburban stability. What a shame. I guess there really is no going back. What's even MORE a shame is that when the first non-Caucasian residents moved in, they were caring people who took care of their properties and had a lot of pride in their family. These residents had worked hard to get to a nice, clean and safe environment to raise said families in. If the current residents have lost that pride in themselves, their kids, and the village as a whole, nothing will ever bring it back. That's sad on a lot of levels. Especially that the areas they fought so hard to locate to will never know the safety and tranquility of those days gone by.
Get Off My Lawn

Franklin, MI

#6 Jun 24, 2013
Old Timer wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent some of my early teenage years living in Calumet City on Michigan City Road and had friends who lived in Lansing. I took a look at the link you provided and it really was enlightening. Looks to me like the gentrification of the City proper was deemed more important that suburban stability. What a shame. I guess there really is no going back. What's even MORE a shame is that when the first non-Caucasian residents moved in, they were caring people who took care of their properties and had a lot of pride in their family. These residents had worked hard to get to a nice, clean and safe environment to raise said families in. If the current residents have lost that pride in themselves, their kids, and the village as a whole, nothing will ever bring it back. That's sad on a lot of levels. Especially that the areas they fought so hard to locate to will never know the safety and tranquility of those days gone by.
It's interesting that you mentioned the gentrification in Chicago.

Just for kicks, go on vPike.com and take a look at what 35th and State looks like today. I'll paste a link, but am not sure it will take you right there:

http://www.vpike.com/...

Back in the day, no white person in their right mind would go anywhere near there. When we went to White Sox games, we got off the Dan Ryan and immediately turned left; never ever turned right! And for good reason: The Robert Taylor Homes projects were very near there, and it was almost 100% certain that you would be victimized in some way if you went in there!

But look at it today! Nice new apartments, town houses, stores, Starbucks Coffee! Now that the projects are gone, the place looks livable again! Probably due to some Obama money they threw at the area.

I'm not so sure any of this gentrification will work though. In general, the whole city is going the way of Detroit,. The level of crime all over the city, not just the south side, is way up! It's bad, and I really have no desire to go back there again, after what I saw the last time!
Old Timer

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Jul 23, 2013
I guess you're right about the caliber of citizens in the Village today..sad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/brea...

The Village use to have pillars of the community,and leaders of business and industry living there and raising families.
OF Resident

Chicago, IL

#8 Nov 15, 2013
I couldn't have been more appalled after reading the comments here. Olympia Fields is STILL a great community to live in and raise a family. We are the only town in the south suburbs that maintains a AAA bond rating. Judging the character of a neighborhood based on the racial make-up is stupid. Residents of all races live together peacefully here. Major retailers are showing interest in developing here. The ONLY reason property values have gone down here is because of the down economy. People STILL care about the upkeep of their property. Using one bad apple to try to say the entire village has gone down is ludicrous. I'm sure worse things happened back in the 70's that the police just didn't have the technology to pursue then.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Resident of Olympia Field

Crown Point, IN

#10 Mar 6, 2014
Olympia Field has been declining rapidly for decades. Once those identified as good managers moved or died off the new public servants lacked the vision and will to either maintain or build a quality town. This became a sign for more of the long time residents to move. Today we have a village hall filled with "rubber stamps " that continue to raise taxes, fill meaningless jobs with patronage and friends. They wasted millions on a so called new village hall, took tax payers money in a 2007 bogus referendum which was to improve 66% the sewer system and they spent the money to repair only 50% and now want to ask for dentinal funds. The extra money provided tem with today's AAA bond rating. Businesses are moving and they presently are planning a town center in the midst of a very deep recession. Of has one of the highest utility tax rates and sewer taxes in the area. OF is a town of 4900 and they have a full time $200,000 Village Administrator. He was hire according to the Village Mayor too bring OF new businesses yet while businesses have departed he has only attracted one store a General Dollar . It is my opinion that OF will continue to decline as its problem is based upon poor unopposed managers seeking higher revenue from the residents while the town goes down the sewer.

Check out the sight sharpwatcholympia fields.com

Graymoor Resident

Park Forest, IL

#11 Mar 24, 2014
OF Resident wrote:
I couldn't have been more appalled after reading the comments here. Olympia Fields is STILL a great community to live in and raise a family. We are the only town in the south suburbs that maintains a AAA bond rating. Judging the character of a neighborhood based on the racial make-up is stupid. Residents of all races live together peacefully here. Major retailers are showing interest in developing here. The ONLY reason property values have gone down here is because of the down economy. People STILL care about the upkeep of their property. Using one bad apple to try to say the entire village has gone down is ludicrous. I'm sure worse things happened back in the 70's that the police just didn't have the technology to pursue then.
You are clearly delusional, just like our Village Administration. OF is NOT a great place to live. This village is poorly managed and is spiraling down very quickly. Moving to OF in 2005 was the biggest mistake of my life. The schools are mediocre, and the neighboring towns of Park Forest and Chicago Heights are bringing in the rift-raft by the boat load. OF is quickly becoming a lower-middle class suburb. The entire village should disband and just become a part of the neighboring villages (Matteson, Chicago Heights, Flossmoor) of which it shares its school districts. OF has no school district, no library, and a very poorly-run park district which only attracts the rift-raft of Park Forest. The only thing OF has is a private country club. Again, moving to the once great OF was the biggest mistake of my life, and I look forward to leaving this village and never returning.
Save Olympia Fields

Olympia Fields, IL

#12 Dec 15, 2014
The Village of Olympia Fields should adopt an ordinance to bring in the Cook County Sheriff's Office as an independent watchdog. This will give the sheriff's office the right to investigate any past or present allegations of fraud, waste, mismanagement and corruption by Village government. The citizens of Olympia Fields need an independent agency looking out for them.
Watchdog

Tinley Park, IL

#13 Apr 13, 2015
Save Olympia Fields wrote:
The Village of Olympia Fields should adopt an ordinance to bring in the Cook County Sheriff's Office as an independent watchdog. This will give the sheriff's office the right to investigate any past or present allegations of fraud, waste, mismanagement and corruption by Village government. The citizens of Olympia Fields need an independent agency looking out for them.
I am total agreement. The BGA sent an email today March 13, 2015, entitled " Suburbs Need Internal Watchdogs To Hold Officials Accountable". With the increases in blatant and wasteful spending by the Olympia Fields government this Village should be placed on the top ten list of city's in Cook County for both corruption, malfeasance and misuse of public funds. It is a shame that Olympia Field which was once referred to as a "jewel", has now fallen to one in deplorable condition.
Watchdog

Frankfort, IL

#14 Apr 14, 2015
Watchdog wrote:
<quoted text>
I am total agreement. The BGA sent an email today March 13, 2015, entitled " Suburbs Need Internal Watchdogs To Hold Officials Accountable". With the increases in blatant and wasteful spending by the Olympia Fields government this Village should be placed on the top ten list of city's in Cook County for both corruption, malfeasance and misuse of public funds. It is a shame that Olympia Field which was once referred to as a "jewel", has now fallen into deplorable conditions.
As am addendum to the above comment, I would suggest that those that want more detailed information regarding Olympia Fields, for you to search the following site: www.sharpwatcholympiafields.com

Since: Dec 14

Merrillville, IN

#15 May 24, 2015
THERE'S NO SAVING OLYMPIA FIELDS

Like one of the previous posts stated, purchasing a home in Olympia Fields was also the biggest mistake of my life. Over the last few years, I have watched most of my neighbors leave. This has absolutely nothing to do with race, where as many of these families were affluent minorities who saw what this village has turned into, and said they wanted to get out before it was too late.

The majority of residents moving to Olympia Fields now, are people that can’t afford it and renters. Just check the latest U.S. census and see for yourself what the median household income in Olympia Fields has sunk to.

I no longer care about the delusional village administration, the skyrocketing property taxes, the skyrocketing village salaries, or all the run down properties. I just can’t wait to cut my losses and get out of here.

Let Olympia Fields rot, and let the scumbags in village hall rot in hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Markham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stevo at the City Council meeting 1 hr clown patrol 72
Blue Island Red Light Cameras Illegal (Apr '12) 2 hr Resident 152
Did you attend tonight's Flooding meeting at Pa... 5 hr CASA 13
Midlo.police (Mar '12) 7 hr trumbull 78
All Lives Matter 9 hr Fog 28
Rats in the Ridge (Dec '15) 19 hr Orkin 18
Open Letter to All Veteran's 20 hr Tom 44

Markham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance