Wise Owl

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Unfortunately this is not a state pension. This is a local pension for the Midlothian Firefighters. You are on the hook for the entire amount. If, when the going was good, the proper amount of money was paid into the fund there shouldn't be a problem paying the benefits. If not, oh well there could be a problem. The very powerful fireman's union has got the law written so that the village's obligations to this fund are paid before virtually any other obligation. Another slight problem, the same union has got laws on the books that prohibit the replacement of full time firefighters with contract or part time personnel without the union agreeing to the changes. Houston, we may have a problem.
Taser

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

The city with the highest per household unfunded liability in the nation is Chicago,$41,966 per household, or $45 billion in total obligations. Illinois, meanwhile, is the state with among the most troubled pension systems, with about $285 billion in unfunded liabilities.

"Even if all other spending was shut down, the city of Chicago would need to allocate about eight years of dedicated tax revenues to cover pension promises it has already made," the study by Rauh and Novy-Marx estimates. Meanwhile, Illinois' pension obligations amount to seven times annual state tax collections.
Taser

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

When was the Village last audited ?
Mismanagement

Shorewood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Tired of Your Crap wrote:
<quoted text>Well I guess we need to go to Posen, Dixmoore, Crestwood, Marinette Park, Garden Homes,Calumet Park, Tinley Park and ask them how they do it. This is not a new revelation you do realize 80% of America is covered by volunteer fire departments? The great majority of Illinois is covered by volunteer fire departments. If they can do it we can do it with qualified part time personnel. You sound foolish making incompetent remarks like this.
Don't use "fun facts" off the credit roll of the movie Backdraft.
assbackwards

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Mismanagement wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't use "fun facts" off the credit roll of the movie Backdraft.
You are a complete fool with a very low intelligence level
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

hmmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you like the cover of the Internet, come to one of the firehouses and say it to their faces. So you didn't deny you couldn't pass the civil service exam, must by why you are on the kick of part-time. There is nothing wrong with part-time fire departments, however the full-time department employees should not have to lose their careers because of people like you.
why so I can get my car washed, what time before noon so i don't wake anyone up,if people volunteer to be firefighters, or do it part-time, why did they do it for a full time job, the full timers replaced many volunteer and part time people, so i will not feel so bad when they get pushed out, look at crestwood fire department they are doing it rite, on fire calls all there equitment will respond, you want to save money and make are town safer go all part time AND PAID ON CALL,
NoMoneyHere

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Wise Owl wrote:
Unfortunately this is not a state pension. This is a local pension for the Midlothian Firefighters. You are on the hook for the entire amount. If, when the going was good, the proper amount of money was paid into the fund there shouldn't be a problem paying the benefits. If not, oh well there could be a problem. The very powerful fireman's union has got the law written so that the village's obligations to this fund are paid before virtually any other obligation. Another slight problem, the same union has got laws on the books that prohibit the replacement of full time firefighters with contract or part time personnel without the union agreeing to the changes. Houston, we may have a problem.
All these pension plans state or otherwise can be changed for all concerned. The union only has so many votes and it won't be enough.
Village taxpayer

Blue Island, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

The UNION has NOTHING to do with the pension. Read: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.as... . If it was a UNION thing then Sheehy NOT being in the UNION would not get anything.
Midlo man

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Well, Good luck to both!! BUT.... I have one question, Why do the firemen of this town make more money than the Police? Does anyone have a good answer or know why?
Midlothian voter

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Taser wrote:
When was the Village last audited ?
The village has a audit done every year. The auditors were the ones that the money for the capital improvement grant needed to be spent on capital improvements and not just sit in the general fund collecting interest.
duh

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

part time is the way to go, part time workers really care about their jobs. They usually have to work many of them to make ends meet, plus if they get sick they come to work, they dont have sick time or health insurance to go to the doctor. I think this is such a good idea everyone on here should tell us where they work, then we can all go to your bosses and tell them how you should be fired for part timers! Do the world a favor, and next time you have a thought DONT!
Part Time FD

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

duh wrote:
part time is the way to go, part time workers really care about their jobs. They usually have to work many of them to make ends meet, plus if they get sick they come to work, they dont have sick time or health insurance to go to the doctor. I think this is such a good idea everyone on here should tell us where they work, then we can all go to your bosses and tell them how you should be fired for part timers! Do the world a favor, and next time you have a thought DONT!
I agree part time the FD we could actually put more personnel on duty at a significant savings.
Bonnie

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

clyde wrote:
When I started this posting it was to congratulate both Sheehy on his retirement and Hotwagner on his promotion. But it seems like everybody is trying to make it look like the Fire department is the cause of the financial problems in the village.
In the 70 plus years that my family has been in the village the F.D. has always been the department that has had to beg for any funding they have gotten. They are the only department in the village that has equipment that is over 20 plus years. the other departments get new vehicles all the time.The other departments get new personal equipment when they want or need it.
So before you throw the blame on the fire dept or the firemen look at the other departments, look at their excessive spending and excessive overtime. Look at how the mayor keeps spending and hiring whomever he wants.(Village administrator, Village attorney, executive secretary for both of those men) then make your comments.
You like your house insurance costs low,that is where the fire department comes in. Without a fulltime department our ISO rating will drop. Your insurance costs will rise greatly. You don't belive it, just ask your insurance company.
Clyde your nuts!! You must be about 80 years old. First the Fire Dept. is paid more than the police are. 2nd maybe you should go check out all the new Gear, breathing appratus, trucks etc. that they just purchased. your a fool, please know your facts before you speak. Well then again I guess I'm the fool, I could have been paid more to sit in a recliner and sleep all night while getting paid instead of protecting idiots like you.
Interested

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

A) Fire Department is not paid more, but the pay is pretty similar, depending on the time on the job (don't rely on the village website 2012 employee report as it has less than half the employees on there and none of the newer FF's - pay between equal ranks and equal time on the job is very similar, as have the raises over the years been).

B) Gear was received after a successful grant written by the firefighters in 2006 & again in 2008.

C) New engine was purchased with a grant written by the firefighters in 2010, with a small amount of additional dollars from the Village to make sure this engine would last for many years to come (last engine bought by the Village was in 1993, not including the non-engine apparatus in more recent purchases).

Breathing apparatus had to be purchased after numerous attempt to secure a grant for these items as well...now the old equipment is expiring and it was a required purchase at this point...but the firefighters had been writing grants to try and get breathing equipment since the early 2000's.

Shrug
Got my tax bill

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Wise Owl wrote:
make them all part-time, or even volunteer
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2013

Judged:

R.I.P
upset with this thread

Plainfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2013

To many of your are focusing on the whole part time full thing. Ive know bill a long time, and hes an ass so it doesnt surprise me that his coworkers dont like him, he does drive his comapny truck everywhere, and the guy who used to the fire chef didnt have that huge suv that he does he had a repainted police car. Also as a figure head in the community i think that he should obey traffic rules and quit blowing the stop sign by bill button hill where he live. Im sure he has done some ggod things but i am ignorant on that subject, i can only post about what i know.P.S. Its time for a change!
RTE249

Blue Island, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Well you don't know much. Since 1979 the Fire Chief has not had any repainted Police cars. Here'e the list: 1979 Dodge station wagon, 1990 Chevrolet Caprice, 1996 Chevrolet Caprice, 1979 Dodge Darango, and the 2 ford Expiditions they now have. The 2 Chevies were bought new with the Police Package
upset with this thread wrote:
To many of your are focusing on the whole part time full thing. Ive know bill a long time, and hes an ass so it doesnt surprise me that his coworkers dont like him, he does drive his comapny truck everywhere, and the guy who used to the fire chef didnt have that huge suv that he does he had a repainted police car. Also as a figure head in the community i think that he should obey traffic rules and quit blowing the stop sign by bill button hill where he live. Im sure he has done some ggod things but i am ignorant on that subject, i can only post about what i know.P.S. Its time for a change!

“Always willing to lend a hand”

Since: Dec 09

Midlothian, Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

RTE249 wrote:
<quoted text>Well you don't know much. Since 1979 the Fire Chief has not had any repainted Police cars. Here'e the list: 1979 Dodge station wagon, 1990 Chevrolet Caprice, 1996 Chevrolet Caprice, 1979 Dodge Darango, and the 2 ford Expiditions they now have. The 2 Chevies were bought new with the Police Package
RTE249! Glad to have you back good sir:) What happened to your official avatar?

This isn't an imposter I'm speaking to is it?

Very Seriously Yours,

Your Editor-and-Chief,

Midlothian Man

:):):):):)
what a joke

Alsip, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Dedicated Yeah right wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I was told, Bill stole a career. He was a lazy firefighter horrible leader and worse on the ambulance. I was told he did nothing to advance the fire department at all and actually brought it backwards.
Im toldSteve is proactive and wants to try to progress those guys. Good luck Steve.
Maybe you shouldn't always believe everything you were TOLD!! What a winner you must be!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Markham Discussions

Search the Markham Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr Natual should be respect 48,918
Midlo Forum Battle: Know It All vs. Who Cares 5 hr who cares 39
I grew up in Midlothian Facebook Page (Jul '13) 5 hr who cares 86
State Rep 28th Bob Rita is not addressing the ... 6 hr BI east side 6
Ridge Fest (Aug '09) 7 hr CrapFest 54
Why Kurtz? A for profit company 8 hr Part Time FD 8
illegals 8 hr Welfare Country 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Markham Jobs

•••