Do you approve of Dr. Robert B. Donaldson as Mayor?

Posted in the Markham Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 62 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Velma Sinclair

New Port Richey, FL

#1 Sep 20, 2012
He does not even take care of his two daughters from his first marriage. I has never paid child support but 7 times to his daughter name Candace, but he takes care of everyone else.
Res too

Oak Forest, IL

#2 Dec 27, 2012
He doesn't take care of anything!!!! The streets look bad and the only stores popping up are liquor, cash advance and sell your gold! Get him out before it starts looking like Harvey!!!!
Howard Lieberman, ESQ

Orland Park, IL

#3 Dec 27, 2012
I disapproved of his individual. The man is certainly highly educated, but overextended in terms of his community service, yielding him non-effective on several fronts. He needs to focus on a limited number of important community efforts rather than build upon his endless resume of civil service.

The recent and unnecessary killing of a highly trained and loved dog whom was very active at the Homewood-Flossmoor dog park by his police officers has directed a lot of negative attention towards Dr. Donaldson and his police chief. They believe they can walk into your back yard, leave the gate open, kill your friendly small/medium dog on a public sidewalk and claim self defense.

In fact, I knew the dog and its owners. I personally witnessed on numerous occasions this animal to be friendly to strangers at the dog park. After donating thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of my time to promote anti-cruelty of animals, the leaders of Hazel Crest have undermined our civic efforts. Instead of investigating and rectifying the situation, they have chosen to alienate their residents and create an atmosphere of fear of the police.

Now they will be spending your tax dollars to defend against a lawsuit being brought forth. Refer to CBS coverage of this story. It is one thing to kill an attacking dog, it is another to kill a dog well known to hundreds of local residents as a friendly animal. Remember this lack of leadership and accountability during the next election.
Beverly Hopkins

Palos Hills, IL

#4 Jan 27, 2013
I am surprised by these comments. I have known Mayor Donaldson before he was Mayor of Hazel Crest. He has helped many people in the community get jobs and he cares a great deal about people getting their education. This man has been very kind to my family and is one of the most approachable elected officials I have ever met. He always talks highly of his family and goes out of his way to support Hazel Crest citizens. The economy has been horrible and it is up to the citizens to patronize local businesses and work with their neighbors, in order for it to be a better community. I support Mayor Donaldson and hope he gets better people to be the board in the next election.
Beverly Hopkins

Palos Hills, IL

#5 Jan 27, 2013
You are accusing the Mayor of shooting the dog? He can't be responsible for a judgment call a police officer made, this is not a fair accusation. I am sorry to hear about the dog, but we have to trust our police officers and I am sure there are more facts that we are missing from the story.

[QUOTE who="Howard Lieberman, ESQ"]I disapproved of his individual. The man is certainly highly educated, but overextended in terms of his community service, yielding him non-effective on several fronts. He needs to focus on a limited number of important community efforts rather than build upon his endless resume of civil service.
The recent and unnecessary killing of a highly trained and loved dog whom was very active at the Homewood-Flossmoor dog park by his police officers has directed a lot of negative attention towards Dr. Donaldson and his police chief. They believe they can walk into your back yard, leave the gate open, kill your friendly small/medium dog on a public sidewalk and claim self defense.
In fact, I knew the dog and its owners. I personally witnessed on numerous occasions this animal to be friendly to strangers at the dog park. After donating thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of my time to promote anti-cruelty of animals, the leaders of Hazel Crest have undermined our civic efforts. Instead of investigating and rectifying the situation, they have chosen to alienate their residents and create an atmosphere of fear of the police.
Now they will be spending your tax dollars to defend against a lawsuit being brought forth. Refer to CBS coverage of this story. It is one thing to kill an attacking dog, it is another to kill a dog well known to hundreds of local residents as a friendly animal. Remember this lack of leadership and accountability during the next election.[/QUOTE]
Beverly Hopkins

Palos Hills, IL

#6 Jan 27, 2013
Citizens have to be willing to patronize businesses and pay their taxes in order to get better businesses to come into Hazel Crest. People need to stop just blaming the Mayor and support their community. Hazel Crest is a long way from looking like Harvey.
Res too wrote:
He doesn't take care of anything!!!! The streets look bad and the only stores popping up are liquor, cash advance and sell your gold! Get him out before it starts looking like Harvey!!!!
In the KNOWin HC

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 2, 2013
Mayor Donaldson has DONE NOTHING!!!!!! Look atazel rest PROPER the Citizens are exremely AFRAIDin this area..... No development programs, He wants to purchase the VFW on Park Avenue and refuses to assist in anything with Armed Forces Memorial across from the VFW, I have not evenstartedwith Pacesetter, Pott Hills... If you want more to Follow!!!!!!!!!!
In the KNOWin HC

Chicago, IL

#8 Feb 2, 2013
Bev,
They are scared to come out of their homes......
In the KNOWin HC

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 2, 2013
BEV

He has control of the board..... Not the theopposition blocks me routine... PLEASE
kenya

Calumet City, IL

#10 Feb 7, 2013
In the KNOWin HC wrote:
Mayor Donaldson has DONE NOTHING!!!!!! Look atazel rest PROPER the Citizens are exremely AFRAIDin this area..... No development programs, He wants to purchase the VFW on Park Avenue and refuses to assist in anything with Armed Forces Memorial across from the VFW, I have not evenstartedwith Pacesetter, Pott Hills... If you want more to Follow!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed, Proper is bad. But who do you blame. Thugs hang out all over. Where are their parents, preachers and politicians? Hanging out, or what we used to call loitering, is not a crime. Dont rely on the police. Proper has been neglected for years. Why would the Mayor want to but the American Legion? Is it for sale?
Interesting

United States

#11 Feb 7, 2013
That's terrible! So the police went in to these people's backyard, left the gate open, then the owners let the dog out, unaware that the gate was open? Is that the story? What if they had a small child and they let him go out and the child turned up missing? You can say this is the officers' fault, but ultimately Donaldson is in charge of the department.

[QUOTE who="Howard Lieberman, ESQ"]I disapproved of his individual. The man is certainly highly educated, but overextended in terms of his community service, yielding him non-effective on several fronts. He needs to focus on a limited number of important community efforts rather than build upon his endless resume of civil service.
Now they will be spending your tax dollars to defend against a lawsuit being brought forth. Refer to CBS coverage of this story. It is one thing to kill an attacking dog, it is another to kill a dog well known to hundreds of local residents as a friendly animal. Remember this lack of leadership and accountability during the next election.[/QUOTE]
Rasta

Oak Forest, IL

#12 Feb 8, 2013
Interesting wrote:
That's terrible! So the police went in to these people's backyard, left the gate open, then the owners let the dog out, unaware that the gate was open? Is that the story? What if they had a small child and they let him go out and the child turned up missing? You can say this is the officers' fault, but ultimately Donaldson is in charge of the department.
<quoted text>
. That's not what happened. Do some research, review the news reports. Look at the medias photo of the gate. It was secured with a bungee. It was entirely possible the dog got loose. On the other hand, a meter reader has to enter yards as part of their job. Are they expected to get bitten? Do they not have a right to defend their self? And don't be asinine like others and say pepper spray or taze the dog, it doesn't always work. Face it, the police can enter your yard and even your HOME if circumstances permit. We as a society permit this, want this and need this. And we as a society allow the police to use deadly force when they feel they need it. There are laws enacted and they are trained using state and federal guidelines. Our politicians have passed laws to allow this, so they can do a job without fear of being harmed. You may not like it, but it's needed. The police and the village will not make a statement on it because its a lose-lose situation. People like yourself jump to conclusions and do not know the laws or the police departments regulations, so their is "no comment". What could they say to make it appear justified to you? Nothing. It's a shame. I understand why it happened. I am open minded. I don't love the police but I don't hate them like some posters here. It's a hard job. I don't expect them to get hurt.
Mano

Oak Forest, IL

#13 Feb 15, 2013
Now they will be spending your tax dollars to defend against a lawsuit being brought forth. Refer to CBS coverage of this story. It is one thing to kill an attacking dog, it is another to kill a dog well known to hundreds of local residents as a friendly animal. Remember this lack of leadership and accountability during the next election.[/QUOTE]. This is merely your opinion. If you base your opinion on the media reports, you will see that the beloved dog, really, beloved dog, could have certainly pushed open the gate that was shown on tv, being secured by a bungee. Give a rest, counselor. A frivolous lawsuit will be filed and will not get the owner bundles of money. There are too many holes in the story and there are just no grounds to sue. What is your area of expertise? Does it require the truth?
Bill K

Riverdale, IL

#15 Feb 18, 2013
Enough about the damn dog. Hazel Crest has deteriorated during Donaldsons' tenure as mayor. It's time for someone else to give it a shot. I'm a homeowner and 50 year resident so I know quite a bit about this town. Hazel Crest is a shadow of it's former self.
Donaldson is an arrogant jackass. Last spring he came to my door in person. My wife got a flat tire the night before on the way to the grocery store. She drove it home flat and parked it in front of the house. The next morning I rented the equipment to rod my main sewer line and was in the process of doing so when the mayor came to my front door complaining about the flat tire! My wife answered the door and asked who he was. He shouted, "I'm the MAYOR". He asked where I was and she told him I was rodding the sewer. He then jumped in his car and took off without another word.
I thought this behavior was uncalled for and downright bizzare. Doesn't the mayor have better things to do than heckle senior citizens? My outrageous taxes are paid and we never raise hell like many of our neighbors do. This wasn't the first time I've been threatened by the village over nothing. What exactly are their priorities?
JUST SAYING

Chicago, IL

#16 Feb 19, 2013
Well let your ballot be the guide to remove him. I know I will. He did the same thing to me, and I stood up to him.
better yet

Chicago, IL

#17 Feb 20, 2013
WHO CARES>>>>>> He ruined the town
Phil

Oak Forest, IL

#18 Feb 23, 2013
He's been told many times to stop playing police and trying to intimidate people with his squad car and enforcing ordinances. The Police department is aware of his activities.
HCRESIDENT

Chicago, IL

#19 Mar 12, 2013
Will there be a change......
Concerned Citizen

Chicago, IL

#20 Mar 19, 2013
If Donaldson is re elected, the home in this town is UP FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!! No growth in 8 years... More homes vacant.
Citizen

Oak Forest, IL

#21 Mar 20, 2013
No progress, to new tax base, arrogance, law suits, employee frustration, etc. But whose to say Alsberry will be any different? I have not heard anything from him. And the three knuckleheads he's running with, Ramsey, More and Pate are not the brightest bunch. Pate will argue just to hear herself. Why is Alsberry reaching out to the employees unions for their backing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Markham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHPD Promotions 1 hr Anonymous 1
Bengal Football.., 1 hr TheTaxMan 4
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Duane Mills 49,476
Brementowne Car Breakins 2 hr yea 3
Ronald Tellez..ex-Blue Island cop.. (Nov '11) 6 hr retired fd 13
Hog Wild Restaurant 8 hr Puked 33
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 9 hr annonymos 44
•••
•••
•••

Markham Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••