midlothian mayor election
just checkin

Blue Island, IL

#555 Jan 23, 2013
i also found some old info on the home rule vote. it was voted in as a referendum so i guess we all voted it in.
How To Repeal Home Rule

Midlothian, IL

#556 Jan 23, 2013
What steps must be taken to repeal home rule?
cant beleive it

Chicago, IL

#557 Jan 23, 2013
just checkin wrote:
i also found some old info on the home rule vote. it was voted in as a referendum so i guess we all voted it in.
No we all did not vote it in. You had a choice but sadly people in midlothian who didnt know how much home rule would hurt us voted it in the mayor and his village people told a bold story a story of smoke and mirrors.What a bunch of loosers.
Watcher

Chicago, IL

#558 Jan 23, 2013
So u idiots think that crime free housing is a bad thing and that the un regulated day care is a good thing and the various other good things the home rule did for this town just cause your taxes wet up a bit put your house or card board box in orland park and see what your taxes would be we don't have it that bad that is if you even live here cause there are people on this forum that insist on spouting off at the mouth and don't even live her any more!! Get off your soap box if you think you could do a better job then those of you that do should have submitted piletitions to run for office and if you did that correctly or he'll even incorrectly obviously by the crap submitted by some this time you could make a difference so until you grow a sent and step up and run for office you deal with it and god for bid stop the insesit winning you sound like a bunch of kindergarten students!!!!!
We Were not Prepared

Chicago, IL

#559 Jan 23, 2013
Village wrote:
The village of Midlothian with a total population of 14,884 simply can not afford multiple pensions for one person or the high priced mistakes we have witnessed because someone forgot or neglected to do their homework.
Prepare yourselves.
The tax bills will reflect the home rule taxes and debt.
Defiantly not prepared for this ginormous blunder!
That Is Not How It Works

Chicago, IL

#560 Jan 23, 2013
Watcher wrote:
So u idiots think that crime free housing is a bad thing and that the un regulated day care is a good thing and the various other good things the home rule did for this town just cause your taxes wet up a bit put your house or card board box in orland park and see what your taxes would be we don't have it that bad that is if you even live here cause there are people on this forum that insist on spouting off at the mouth and don't even live her any more!! Get off your soap box if you think you could do a better job then those of you that do should have submitted piletitions to run for office and if you did that correctly or he'll even incorrectly obviously by the crap submitted by some this time you could make a difference so until you grow a sent and step up and run for office you deal with it and god for bid stop the insesit winning you sound like a bunch of kindergarten students!!!!!
Home Rule does not make any village or community crime free! Day cares are licensed by DCFS. The administration failed. Stop raising taxes before you tax each and every one of us out of our homes!
Back Ground Checks

Chicago, IL

#562 Jan 24, 2013
Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right there is no such thing as a crime fre town but with out home rule there would be no crime free housing act and slumlords could rent to any one the crime free housing act makes it possablie for people of rental property to not rent to undesirable tenents cause it gives them the ability to do background checks and I believe give them the option to not rent to people that have certen things on there record I could be worng about that but ither way its a good thing again I reiterate we still don't have that bad or a tax bill in comparison to the communities west of us
Municipal ordinances require apartment/home inspections via the Building Department before occupancy, laws surrounding discrimination, equal opportunity, background checks and credit checks address the remainder. Home rule is a poorly written law in the state of IL. that has been compared to giving a blank checks to a teenager. Home Rule made history in the November 2012 election with nine communities voting to repeal or voted no.
Do Your Homework

Chicago, IL

#563 Jan 24, 2013
Home rule limits needed
SouthtownStar editorial September 27,2012

Property owners in Illinois are fed up, increasingly angered by rising tax bills, but many feel powerless to do anything about it. How to stop local government
officials from playing us for saps by raising tax levies, and as a result also our bills, and making it tougher for people to stay in their homes?

There’s no easy answer, but we see a glimmer of hope. We strongly support, and you should too, efforts by state Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka and Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas to force towns to go on a fiscal diet and expose those that are suffocating their citizenry under crushing debt.

Last spring, Pappas and watchdog groups revealed how levies rose among the county’s taxing districts at double the rate of inflation from 2000 to 2010. And she led a charge to require the districts to reveal their debt
levels.

Now, Topinka is carrying that torch on the state level. She wants all towns to submit more financial information to her office, which will post it on a new website. She also wants hearings on changing Illinois’ liberal municipal-borrowing rules to restrict local officials from opening the money spigot so easily.

All of the most populous states (except guess who?) restrict how much debt towns can take on or insist that voters OK the borrowing. Illinois did both until 1970 when “home rule authority” was created, giving municipalities extra powers to establish laws and impose taxes. Towns with at least 25,000 residents automatically have home rule; smaller ones need voter approval for it.

Under home rule, towns have no borrowing limits and don’t need voters to agree to incur greater debt. Such local control is a nice concept but often hasn’t worked well and has been a disaster for some towns (such as Country Club Hills and Bridgeview).

Major reform is very difficult in Illinois, and expect a battle royal if a bill to restrict home rule gets before the Legislature. Municipal groups would lobby hard to prevent that. But an army of disgusted taxpayers pressuring lawmakers might give it a chance.

Idealistic? Maybe, but home rule authority, as it is, must go. If not, you may be gone from your home.
History Lesson

Chicago, IL

#564 Jan 24, 2013
Back Ground Checks wrote:
<quoted text>
Municipal ordinances require apartment/home inspections via the Building Department before occupancy, laws surrounding discrimination, equal opportunity, background checks and credit checks address the remainder. Home rule is a poorly written law in the state of IL. that has been compared to giving a blank checks to a teenager. Home Rule made history in the November 2012 election with nine communities voting to repeal or voted no.
Home rule repealed in Westmont, rejected in 4 other communities
11/13/2012
Brian Costin
Director of Government Reform
Many local voters didn’t realize it, but residents of Westmont, Ill., made history during last week’s election.
By a vote of 51.5 percent to 48.5 percent, Westmont became the first Illinois community to repeal a municipality’s home rule power in 29 years. The last repeal happened in Rockford in 1983.
Westmont automatically became a home rule community after a special census in 2007 showed Westmont had more than 25,000 residents. State law automatically grants home rule powers to communities with a population of more than 25,000.
The subsequent 2010 census showed that the village fell short of the 25,000 population mark, triggering an automatic home rule referendum according to state law.
Jim Tobin, president of Taxpayers United of America (TUA), has been fighting home rule in Illinois for decades. Tobin calls home rule “one of the most financially devastating schemes Illinois politicians have ever come up with.”
“Home rule means, literally, home rule unlimited taxing power,” Tobin said.“A home rule municipality can create just about any tax under the sun and raise taxes without limit.”
TUA assisted a group called Citizens for Westmont to work for elimination of the village’s home rule power in the referendum battle.
Enactment of home rule powers is often shortly followed by increases to sales, utility or property tax rates. Communities often borrow against future home rule revenues to finance big projects.
The recent November election had voters in nine communities in Illinois voting on home rule referendums. Home rule was defeated in five of those communities and approved in four others.
Illinois communities that rejected or repealed home rule
Elkville
Harrisburg
Kenilworth
River Forest
Westmont (population fell below 25,000)
Illinois communities that retained home rule
Edwardsville (population fell below 25,000)
Homer Glen (population fell below 25,000)
Maywood (population fell below 25,000)
Mt. Vernon (population fell below 25,000)
Get the Lesson

Chicago, IL

#565 Jan 24, 2013
Jim Tobin, president of Taxpayers United of America (TUA), has been fighting home rule in Illinois for decades. Tobin calls home rule “one of the most financially devastating schemes Illinois politicians have ever come up with.”
“Home rule means, literally, home rule unlimited taxing power,” Tobin said.“A home rule municipality can create just about any tax under the sun and raise taxes without limit.”

Get the lesson, home rule must go if not You may be taxed out of Your Home.
new here

Prairie Village, KS

#566 Jan 24, 2013
Has anyone talked to The mayor or the new canidate running, to see where they stand or what they will change, etc
cant beleive it

Chicago, IL

#567 Jan 24, 2013
Thats easy the mayor will continue to run midlothian into the ground just drive thru town its a joke.Ask him and he has no idea but he does like to give out jobs we dont need and loves to give out raises.
Midlo Vet

Midlothian, IL

#568 Jan 24, 2013
midlothian vfw wrote:
Did Mo make some comments about me and my people?
Mo thinks that we vets are pan handlers. He said so at a village board meeting while Terry and the rest of the board were to afraid to tell him to shut his pie hole. A disgrace, the whole lot of them.
Karen for president

Midlothian, IL

#569 Jan 24, 2013
My sources have told me that Karen and Jerry were both asked by Terry to run with him and decline multiple times before Terry put together a full slate of candidates to run so Karen and Jerry can't make up their minds who they want to be with and all they want to do is ride on somebody's coattails so they don't have to pay for a campaign! I think I heard that Karen told Terry that she didn't want to associate herself with people of the caliber of the people he was associating himself with something to do with the fact that I believe Jamie Potempa is running the village pride party and how could Terry associate himself with somebody like that because she think she's better than most I believe that there's nothing wrong with the people running with or in charge of Terry's party and as to their Calaber I mean, the Potempa's come on karen the Potempa's giveback more this community than most do and if she has a problem with Jamie she should say something to him but she would never do that! I know that I see him doing many thing to help at st. Chris and I know he is the scoutmaster of the Boy Scout troop there not to mention he has took on a family of 4 children that are not even his frankly I think he has a big heart and will be giving back to this community until the time that he leaves like most of the people that Terry associates himself with that have a true love for this community

Watcher your sources should go back to fixing the car on their front lawn. Jamie is an example that the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. He is a buffoon just like his father. Karen doesn't like to associate with him because, like his father, hew is an insulting pig that treats her like garbage. I was raised that you treat women with respect whether you like them or not. I remember going to the scout fish fry's when there were other people in charge of scouts. There seemed to be a lot of scouts participating. Once Jamie took over there seemed to be less and less. When I questioned this I was told that he was running the organization into the ground and that he was an egotistical moron. Once again the apple didn't fall to far from the tree. Though I will offer him kudos if he in fact took on raising four children that are not his.
Important Election Info

Chicago, IL

#570 Jan 24, 2013
History Lesson wrote:
<quoted text>
Home rule repealed in Westmont, rejected in 4 other communities
11/13/2012
Brian Costin
Director of Government Reform
Many local voters didn’t realize it, but residents of Westmont, Ill., made history during last week’s election.
By a vote of 51.5 percent to 48.5 percent, Westmont became the first Illinois community to repeal a municipality’s home rule power in 29 years. The last repeal happened in Rockford in 1983.
Westmont automatically became a home rule community after a special census in 2007 showed Westmont had more than 25,000 residents. State law automatically grants home rule powers to communities with a population of more than 25,000.
The subsequent 2010 census showed that the village fell short of the 25,000 population mark, triggering an automatic home rule referendum according to state law.
TUA assisted a group called Citizens for Westmont to work for elimination of the village’s home rule power in the referendum battle.
Enactment of home rule powers is often shortly followed by increases to sales, utility or property tax rates. Communities often borrow against future home rule revenues to finance big projects.
The recent November election had voters in nine communities in Illinois voting on home rule referendums. Home rule was defeated in five of those communities and approved in four others.
Illinois communities that rejected or repealed home rule
Elkville
Harrisburg
Kenilworth
River Forest
Westmont (population fell below 25,000)
Illinois communities that retained home rule
Edwardsville (population fell below 25,000)
Homer Glen (population fell below 25,000)
Maywood (population fell below 25,000)
Mt. Vernon (population fell below 25,000)
Amen!
Couldnt make it

Northbrook, IL

#572 Jan 25, 2013
Watcher- What do you have against punctuation? Geesh!
Watcher

Chicago, IL

#573 Jan 25, 2013
Midlo Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
Mo thinks that we vets are pan handlers. He said so at a village board meeting while Terry and the rest of the board were to afraid to tell him to shut his pie hole. A disgrace, the whole lot of them.
Midlo vet, there are many people out there that have twisted the meaning of what mo said, after being explained why he said it the way he did you all still don't get it and the is beyond me!
it was not directed at the vfw and there are many people out there that don't agree with can days due to the fact that its un safe and really just begging for money on the corner weather it be football group cheer leaders vfw anyone! It's not safe! And mo is not anti vfw that I am aware of the man has had family that served our country and are now gone and remembered like all that served but the fact is that there are other better safer ways to raise money then to stand on a corner at a can day
ok

Midlothian, IL

#574 Jan 25, 2013
Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>Midlo vet, there are many people out there that have twisted the meaning of what mo said, after being explained why he said it the way he did you all still don't get it and the is beyond me!
it was not directed at the vfw and there are many people out there that don't agree with can days due to the fact that its un safe and really just begging for money on the corner weather it be football group cheer leaders vfw anyone! It's not safe! And mo is not anti vfw that I am aware of the man has had family that served our country and are now gone and remembered like all that served but the fact is that there are other better safer ways to raise money then to stand on a corner at a can day
Then what are day? Really how many injuries or deaths have occurred from can days? It's a history vets, youth sports, firemen for fill the boots etc
ok

Midlothian, IL

#575 Jan 25, 2013
^^they
midlothian vfw

Portage, MI

#576 Jan 25, 2013
Miseracordia seems to raise a ton on the corners every year Mo must have forgot to include them too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Markham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What exactly is going on at the former Escape Spa? 51 min ChuckLostTrusteeL... 2
JAWA water project (Jun '12) 59 min Wasting BI Taxdol... 755
How much did the taxpayers have to pay on your ... 1 hr ChuckLost 1
Fran Never Had A Chance Because 1 hr ChuckCorrupt 20
Trustee Kevin Michaels (Nov '15) 2 hr The truth is the ... 20
Empty lots on 111th (May '12) 3 hr The 111th Street ... 39
RIP Midlothian Topix 4 hr doesnt matter 11

Markham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Markham Mortgages