Liar, liar, pants on fire

Liar, liar, pants on fire

Posted in the Markham Forum

“Stay Thirsty my Friends”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#1 Jun 3, 2011
I recall that we, the residents, were promised repeatedly over the past 2 years that the new hotel would not be a 4 hour nap hotel. To say the least, I was quite surprised when I stumbled across this Aura ad on the internet this afternoon:

AURA
Ambiance Suites
Party like a rock star for just $49! in our kick ass TRYST room at AURA Midlo. 37" flat panel TV, bed surround mirrors, electronic wall art fireplace and oversized spa shower for two are just a few of the great amenities. Today/tonight only TRYST room available for 4 hours for just $49! What? Yep. Just $49!

The only difference between our mayor and Rod Blago is that Terry has not been convicted yet. Yet.

“Stay Thirsty my Friends”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#2 Jun 3, 2011
Feel free to post your own "Stephens Lie" below.

Since: Jun 11

Midlothian, IL

#3 Jun 3, 2011
Just another one of the lies that Terry has made to the residents.

Since: Jan 09

Midlothian, IL

#4 Jun 3, 2011
I think at raday lodge the did say there would be 4 hours available along with over nights -
Big Moe

Dallas, TX

#5 Jun 3, 2011
You people are fools, anything is better than the empty lot, at least someone will be paying some taxes now

Since: Jun 11

Midlothian, IL

#6 Jun 3, 2011
The AURA is in a Midlothian TIF district. They do not pay taxes to the village!
ILL TELL YOU WHY

Palos Hills, IL

#7 Jun 3, 2011
C L HJr wrote:
Just another one of the lies that Terry has made to the residents.
Now that you dont have ESDA calls to go on, take the old lady up to the AURA and give her a thrill. Lighten up.

A business is a business. Better than a lot full of stones.
Scum

Midlothian, IL

#8 Jun 3, 2011
Who needs a slap on this thread?
midloguy30

Santa Clara, CA

#9 Jun 3, 2011
Saddened and extremely disappointed...What else can I say.

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#10 Jun 3, 2011
I don't know if they ever said there would be no 4 hour rates. I can't remember if that was something stated on Topix or actually by the administration though I do remember that we were promised since you must purchase a membership to go to Aura that the clientele was supposed to be better because it would be too expensive to become a "4 hour nap" type of place.

That said, I saw the $49 rates on the sign too and wondered how much the membership was. In any case, I'm glad to see something is finally open. I hope it starts to turn the tides.

To the comment about taxes, I don't think the person meant property taxes but rather sales tax. Just my guess.

Since: Jan 10

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jun 3, 2011
If you look on the Essence Suites and Sybaris websites, they also offer 4 hour rooms. Yes, not at $49, but still they are on there. Seriously, we all knew what kind of place this was when the news came out that it was coming here. Who cares?! People are mad because they said Terry was too picky about Ultra coming to Midlothian, but then this is here and finally opened and now people are complaining about a new business actually being opened (and in my opinion the nicest looking property in Midlothian) and how we were 'lied to'. The Essence is in Orland and the Sybaris is in Frankfort and these are nice, respectable towns. So what if there is one here?? Get over it!! We NEED this place.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#12 Jun 4, 2011
Some do not know exactly what a TIF district is.
Here is an example of a hypothetical TIF to demonstrate how the process works: A city decides that an area is in horrible condition, with no hope of being restored unless the government steps in. The expert consultants agree, and the area meets the criteria for a TIF district under Illinois law, so a TIF is created. Property tax rates are not affected by the TIF. At the beginning of the TIF, the aggregate property value of all land in the TIF is $1,000,000, and annual property tax revenue is $40,000. This $40,000 is split between a handful of taxing bodies. After the TIF is created, the taxing bodies know that they will continue to receive $40,000 per year for the life of the TIF.

Perhaps after a couple years, property values within the TIF increase to $1,100,000, which leads to annual tax revenues of $44,000. This extra $4,000, instead of being distributed to the taxing bodies, is deposited in the TIF fund for the city to use to reinvest in the TIF area. As the city invests in the area and private investors begin to be attracted by the city’s efforts to revitalize the community, a snowball effect occurs. More TIF investments by the city lead to more investments by private developers, both of which lead to higher property values, and therefore, more TIF revenue that can be reinvested in the TIF district, starting the cycle all over again.
Better Government

Chicago, IL

#13 Jun 4, 2011
Sad Case-You are 100% correct. More people should learn about things before they comment. Not a dig at anyone, just a fact. TIF districts are a necessary evil. While right now, you don't reap the harvest, (property taxes) you do get sales taxes. Some money in the coffers is better than nothing. Eventually you will receive those property taxes. That property tax money deposited in the TIF fund now, while not given to the village to use on just anything, can be used to improve that TIF area. They are a smart thing to do for your town.
rJH L C

United States

#14 Jun 4, 2011
C L HJr wrote:
The AURA is in a Midlothian TIF district. They do not pay taxes to the village!
Hey dummass you dont know what your talking about Its not in a TIF
who cares

United States

#15 Sep 19, 2012
Jonathan Goldsmith wrote:
Feel free to post your own "Stephens Lie" below.
if some whats to have a good time in a nice place let them u are not god. Every where you go somebody is lying about something. its a low key place for people that what to enjoy themselves. I'm so sick of people complaining about done stuff take someone there enjoy your self you only live once.
Norman Bates

Thornton, IL

#16 Sep 19, 2012
Jonathan Goldsmith wrote:
I recall that we, the residents, were promised repeatedly over the past 2 years that the new hotel would not be a 4 hour nap hotel.
Look, I don't know what happened but I own a motel not too far from here, and you'd be welcome to spend the night in one of the empty rooms if you'd like.

No, Mother. I won't do that. You can't make me kill her.

Mother, oh God, Mother. Blood! Blood!
obamaman

Prairie Village, KS

#17 Nov 20, 2012
Yoo they got women for them rooms, they can make some money,
ronone

Masontown, PA

#19 Dec 10, 2012
youtube.com/watch... …Im looking for these women? They hot I heard?
You are an idiot

Midlothian, IL

#20 Dec 10, 2012
This so called "four hour nap" is not some run down sex motel. You need to buy a membership to even book a room. They have rules you need to abide by ie: only 2 people in a room at a time. This hotel is made for couples wanting to get away for the evening or hell even the afternoon. If you would stop being ignorant and actually take a tour of the suites you would see they are very well maintained, abide by the health sanitation laws, and create an environment that couples enjoy. People have sex, it's human nature, stop being prude and get over it. It brings in income for the town, which what Midlo needs.
wow

United States

#21 Dec 10, 2012
You are an idiot wrote:
This so called "four hour nap" is not some run down sex motel. You need to buy a membership to even book a room. They have rules you need to abide by ie: only 2 people in a room at a time. This hotel is made for couples wanting to get away for the evening or hell even the afternoon. If you would stop being ignorant and actually take a tour of the suites you would see they are very well maintained, abide by the health sanitation laws, and create an environment that couples enjoy. People have sex, it's human nature, stop being prude and get over it. It brings in income for the town, which what Midlo needs.
its a sex motel, just like that new liquor store, what's next strip club

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Markham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our Lady of the Ridge School Closing 27 min Interesting 17
God has Blessed America ...! 56 min Popeye4 1
Stevo at the City Council meeting 1 hr Popeye4 286
FBI at city hall 1 hr Justice_for_Robbie 33
who is running for blue island mayor april 4, ... 1 hr Popeye4 52
Joe Gatrell's vaunted slate 1 hr Betrayed by BIIP 122
2017 Alsip Municipal Election 2 hr Alsipneedschange 23

Markham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance