grandparents rights?
nannie boo

Hermitage, TN

#1 Feb 19, 2012
what are "grandparents" rights in Va. Can a grandparent and step grandparent get custody of children from the parent, when the one with full custody is a wonderful parent child protection service gave them a grade A report, Takes care of the kids and is just an all around great person,the other parent is incarcerated!!! Dont know the law here in va. can you help?
Marge

Hermitage, TN

#2 Feb 19, 2012
YES. With the right circumstances, grandparents CAN get full custody. I know for a fact of a case like that going on right now.
nannie boo

Hermitage, TN

#3 Feb 19, 2012
Marge wrote:
YES. With the right circumstances, grandparents CAN get full custody. I know for a fact of a case like that going on right now.
It's thier child that is incarcerated for meth lab and they are getting visitation upon request...the other parent has got full custody now, the other parent and his fiance are taking wonderful care of the children. they have no basis for trying to take them... Couldnt ask for 2 better people....still confused
eliza jane

Hermitage, TN

#4 Feb 19, 2012
If things are the way you described then I dont think they can just take away a child from a parent unless they PROVE them unfit. That would be terrible for the children. they need to be with thier parent if at all possible and they are being well taken care of....stupidity on the grandparents part!!!!
CottonEye

Burlington, VT

#5 Feb 20, 2012
In the state of VA grandparents dont have rights. A grandparent can file for visitation but you have to be able to prove that the child would be harmed if visitation is not allowed. Such as if the child lived with you in your home regularly, there is abuse, neglect etc. If the other parent is a good parent, it would be extrememly hard to press the issue and get them ruled unfit. Even in the event that one parent is in jail, there is no law that mandates grandparent visitation. You would be much better off, and save a lot of money by talking to the parent and trying to work something out for the benefit of the child. Most parents are reasonable and want their children to have family in their lives.
Jane

Toronto, Canada

#6 Feb 20, 2012
there are literally millions of denied access grandparents and grandchildren today. It's a worldwide problem and it is not a problem that results from divorced parents. Perhaps, thats how the problem started 25 years ago but the problem has manifested itself and grown a a rapid pace. In todays new world being denied access is as ordinary as the common cold. Parents whom are intact deny access for little to NO reason. It a control thing. Grandparents must only speak when they are spoken too...or else !
Lawmakers need to get with the times!
"Family Connections" www.kidsrights.ca
Jane

Toronto, Canada

#7 Feb 20, 2012
Grandparents should not have to go to court to be able to have contact with their grandchildren. They already raised a family and paid their debt to society. Family Law should not be in the court room. Courts and lawyers severe any chance of reunion and respect. If lawmakers would make clear laws, for the sake of the children, that come with fines for not allowing children their roots, there would not be a problem. It's always the children that suffer the most.
Grandparents, please contact your member of parliament to address your concerns about the lack of legislation to protect us and the children from contact privilges.
www.kidsrights.ca
whadup

Nashville, TN

#8 Feb 20, 2012
My grandmother has full custody of me & my brother & sister. She also has full custody over my step brother of whom she has no relation with. So yes you can!
A nobody

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Feb 20, 2012
Topix is probably not the best place to obtain accurate legal advice. Especially when it pertains to something as important as a child.
Betty

Canada

#10 Feb 23, 2012
I run CANGRANDS and yes grandparents should have rights and many 20,000 in Ontario have custody of grands. See www.cangrands.com
Betty

Canada

#11 Feb 23, 2012
Same issues in Canada. See www.cangrands.com
eliza jane

Hermitage, TN

#12 Feb 24, 2012
Jane wrote:
Grandparents should not have to go to court to be able to have contact with their grandchildren. They already raised a family and paid their debt to society. Family Law should not be in the court room. Courts and lawyers severe any chance of reunion and respect. If lawmakers would make clear laws, for the sake of the children, that come with fines for not allowing children their roots, there would not be a problem. It's always the children that suffer the most.
Grandparents, please contact your member of parliament to address your concerns about the lack of legislation to protect us and the children from contact privilges.
www.kidsrights.ca
Actually the bottom line with the first comment is the grandparents are getting to see the grandchildren at least 2 times a week...but while the mother had them they had control and got them all the time so she could party....the father just wants to spend time with his children after all they have been thru. He is a great father to those boys....grandparents just want the CONTROL they had before thier daughter got caught with Meth Lab.It seems stupid to me for them to even THINK they have a case....this guy has no record and is very involved with his boys in sports and every aspect of thier life....always has been....dont understand...mony that could of been spent on the boys will now have to go for a lawyer to fight this.....fed up with these people
gramma

Springfield, TN

#13 Feb 24, 2012
nannie boo wrote:
what are "grandparents" rights in Va. Can a grandparent and step grandparent get custody of children from the parent, when the one with full custody is a wonderful parent child protection service gave them a grade A report, Takes care of the kids and is just an all around great person,the other parent is incarcerated!!! Dont know the law here in va. can you help?
Dr. Phil says grandparents have no rights, can you believe that?
mine2

Maryville, TN

#14 Jan 12, 2013
Well I'm a grandmother and I have custody of my two grandsons.My mother also has custody of her step grandson.All three of these boys came from abusive parents(Well real dad and step dad).It took me a few years to get custody and the first step that I suggest is document everything, take pictures then obtain an attorney.I used everything I had!!!Phone records,pictures and notes and even three copies of the "Busted" paper.It may take some time but maybe you can get the judge to do supervised visits with the abusive parent.Good Luck
A fact

Rocky Mount, VA

#16 Jan 12, 2013
I know someone personally who asked his lawyer, which was Mr. Lincoln at the time, before he became a judge, about his mother getting her grandparent rights. Mr Lincoln said there wasn't technically 'grandparent rights', but that she could file for visitation, and it would be up to the judge to decide what he thought was best. Mr. Lincoln said most likely all she would get would be maybe two hours a month. Now mind you this was in the '90s so I don't know what or if the law has changed any since that time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marion gets tough with its fines for parking vi... 28 min callin_it 22
Eating lunch ------dip dog is the place 2 hr USA wondering 5
Jennifer Collett/ Debord (Sep '11) 3 hr Chris 39
Hope 3 hr Hopemyass 2
Phill 13 hr Phill 3
Abusive drunk girls who bait men into fights 15 hr Delmar Snypes 2
Brandi Michelle Kestner and sister Amanda Brook... 16 hr Mee 10

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance