Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

idk wrote:
I was told the one closes to the dip dog stand was the new high school and they are just redoing the elem school
They are redoing the primary school, now k-2 but it will be come k -5 as will the new school and the old intermediate school will be torn down No high school changes.
Marion Momma

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

wonder wrote:
I have no clue where Aspenvale came from..of course Im not gonna vote for it when I have no clue where it came from or means?? McMullen well of course thats the area so that make sense. So if some one can clear that up for me that would be great!
Aspenvale is actually in 7 Mile Ford. Not a clue how that one made it to the final three.
blome

Marion, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

Judged:

stone hill elementry rock pile ,wasted money ,another smyth co. f@ck up. mike carter should be held to high order for this !!! why does he still be allowed to sign off on this shit ? smyth co . mettings have a certin . internal circle jerk, that they do hehind closed doors !!!! and were not invited too !!!as the public!!!
Cosby

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

blome wrote:
stone hill elementry rock pile ,wasted money ,another smyth co. f@ck up. mike carter should be held to high order for this !!! why does he still be allowed to sign off on this shit ? smyth co . mettings have a certin . internal circle jerk, that they do hehind closed doors !!!! and were not invited too !!!as the public!!!
School board decision. Not Carter's.
big daddy

Glade Spring, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Marion Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
Aspenvale is actually in 7 Mile Ford. Not a clue how that one made it to the final three.
I know, what a crock. Who thought this up? Just unreal.
idk

Glade Spring, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

I know we need a new school but why could they not just have one big school and done always with both the old one they have now. Dose anyone know why they did it this way and what kids are going to the close to the dip dog is just kids that are going to the ones in Marion now or they put some from like seven mile ford too dose anyone know this
andes

Glade Spring, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

for the name why dont they name it after someone who has done alot or has been with the school system for a long time
SHY

Marion, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

omg people, just think the kids that will go to that school wil be called dipdog dipsticks by other people, thats going to be bad!!!!!!!
hmmm

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

Welfare Elementary. That seems to be the only industry in Smyth County
Marion Momma

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Judged:

idk wrote:
I know we need a new school but why could they not just have one big school and done always with both the old one they have now. Dose anyone know why they did it this way and what kids are going to the close to the dip dog is just kids that are going to the ones in Marion now or they put some from like seven mile ford too dose anyone know this
If I understood the news and info from the School Board members, a lot of factors determined new vs renovate: funding sources, conditions of the current schools, geography, population. The school board just announced in the SCN this week that it will be forming a committee to come up with the possible boundaries for both schools based on current attendance at MPS and MIS, geography, populations, etc. and then will put it out to the public for a vote, much like they are doing with the naming of both schools now. BTW, the original source of names came from a public vote several months ago, which the school board narrowed to three for each school based on the public vote received.

And for you naysayers who seem to have it in for county officials making decisions, perhaps if you think you can do a better job weighing your options, exploring all the possibilities, making decisions, etc. you should run for public office instead of sitting behind your keyboard making rude, condescending remarks about everyone else and the decisions they make. At the very least, you should participate in public comment periods with constructive rather than destructive criticism.
wazzup

Scottsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

wonder wrote:
I have no clue where Aspenvale came from..of course Im not gonna vote for it when I have no clue where it came from or means?? McMullen well of course thats the area so that make sense. So if some one can clear that up for me that would be great!
Aspenvale was the name of William Campbell's property in Seven Mile Ford and the original name of the community. In fact the name "Seven Mile Ford" references that it was seven miles from William Campbell's ford in the river at Aspenvale to Arthur Campbell's ford in the river at Royal Oak (at the river bridge in front of Cook's Dry Cleaners).

You can still see the second house built at Aspenvale on the hill across from Wood Fibers in Seven Mile Ford. The Campbell Family Cemetery there (Aspenvale Cemetery) is nationally protected because it is the burial site for two US Generals (William Campbell and his son-in-law Francis Preston).

It's cool that they considered naming the school after such a historical location, but it really isn't fitting considering that Aspenvale is actually closer to Chilhowie Elementary than Oak Point.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Marion Forum right now

Search the Marion Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Global Warming 9 hr Ludwig 10
List of known HUSBAND beaters 9 hr Ludwig 3
Teachers'Salaries 15 hr hillbilly 46
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 23 hr Hoolio 2,539
berni Fri xxx 1
Donnie Wassum Thu Needing some info 5
LGBTQ Community Center Thu Ludwig 20
•••
•••
•••
•••

Marion Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••