Smyth County DSS CPS and other services

Posted in the Marion Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
allipatton

Charlottesville, VA

#1 May 14, 2012
Is it just me, or is this agency either too lenient on the cases that they need to be strict on (AKA-they should have done more to protect Ryland Shobe) and too harsh on BS cases (divorce, custody, etc)? I know it's all in who you know? But still. Also, I know people who are committing welfare fraud and they don't investigate. Are there morons running this agency? And who do we complain to?
Calico Lover

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 14, 2012
I have a friend this has happened to. Of course it's Wythe County though. The whole system needs an overhaul, from the welfare line to the child abuse line. A parent corrects their kid, CHILD ABUSE! A dad beats his kid with a belt, "oh! a smack on the hand and stop doing that." WTF????? I wonder how close the fraud investigators watch Wal Mart on the first of the month, when people stand out there and sell their benefits. And if they actually use the benefits, they dump the receipt and return for merchandise credit to buy booze and smokes.
passport

Charlottesville, VA

#3 May 14, 2012
go read their policy manuals online and you'll see their hands are tied on certain things; the manuals are open to the public! Any moron who is being checked out by CPS would go read the manual and know their rights. Your attorney certainly doesn't know everything about every law known to man. People have to do their homework and I can assure you the laws are very to the point on what is and isn't allowed. If they were having violations they would have been closed down, you making a couple phone calls will do nothing
abc123

Charlottesville, VA

#4 May 14, 2012
smyth county dss should be more worried bout children and there well being instead of reconnecting kids with their meth outed parents i mean once is understandable everyone makes mistakes but over and over giving these deadbeats never ending chances i fought like hell for my child and would do it over and over but i mean why should his mother have that many chances if i was on other end id be under them damn jail
passport

Charlottesville, VA

#5 May 14, 2012
It's the Virginia LAW not the county, not the worker, not the boss, it's the STATE. You people need to take your concerns to the state level who creates the code.

"The goal of Child Protective Services (CPS) is to identify, assess and provide services to children and families in an effort to protect children, preserve families, whenever possible, and prevent further maltreatment. Child Protective Services is non-punitive in its approach and is directed toward enabling families to provide adequate care for their children." --Taken from the STATE social service site.

PRESERVE FAMILIES means they have to do whatever is possible to try to keep the family intact.
I'm just stating the facts that are in front of your noses. Anyone who went to community college can pull resources and see why things are done the way they are. It was a tragic thing that happened to Ryan but in places like Richmond and Virginia Beach is happens all the time. It's sad and sickening but the people at social services can only do what the state allows. Contact your state reps if you want to promote change.
familyguyfan

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 15, 2012
I understand that the department has to do everything within the laws. However, they don't. It is all in who you know. I know some extreme situations that they fail to act, and situations brought on due to a nasty divorce and arguing parties they are all up in their faces. It is certainly an abused system, and I would not be surprised if the workers are not paid off by parties. They say they want to preserve families and I understand that. However, there are times they should take kids and they don't, and work with families instead of taking their kids. I know a case going on right now where the workers are failing to investigate lies. Don't worry. I am notifying my reps. But lets face it, they won't do anything either.
Fisher

Charlottesville, VA

#7 May 15, 2012
Smyth county social services is a joke. I've called on someone before with very good reason & nothing was done about these children's situation. They live in hardly no heat in the winter, filthy, stay sick all the time. Electric gets cut off all the time! One of the mothers there runs around in the middle of the night with her 1 year old. Oh yea, there are about 13 people in this home. Three families with 3 bedrooms! What can you do? They just think you are someone being nosey & don't investigate it that well.
Agreed

Charlottesville, VA

#8 May 15, 2012
The supervisors don't care either. Those people don't want to investigate, just waste our taxpayer dollars and pretend to care. There are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I wish these agencies were elected officials just like politicians! They wouldn't be employed long
Not An Uneducated Hillbil

Charlottesville, VA

#9 May 17, 2012
If I can get enough support, I will create a form letter to send to the representatives, informing them of this matter and what is a complete disgrace of a human service agency, or in this situation, inhumane service agency, unless you beat your kids, then it's ok.
Hmmm

Richmond, VA

#10 May 21, 2012
This agency is certainly biased. It's all in who you know. They pay more attention to false reports than the legit ones.
true blood

United States

#11 May 21, 2012
Simply fascinating. I work a job, live my life happily married to my wife of 18 years...we have 2 kids (that we created together in our marraige) and they attend public schools and play sports and have good grades, and we attend church functions, and other community events. We have no tattoos...we dont use tobacco products of any kind...and we have health insurance thru our employer and NOT Medicaid/Medicare....we have a happy nirmal healthy lide and lifestyle ...

I know nothing about CPS or DSS...never had to deal with them...no one ever complains on us...and we have never been in a situation to suspect our neighbors of mistreatment.

Maybe is you toothless methhead social leeches woukd stop living your lives so recklessly and pathetically, you woukdnt have to deal with CPS either. You care more aboit buying cigs, beer, and your next tattoo than you do about feeding you kids. You think its someone elses job to pay for your healthcare...deed your kid...and banysit. Youre lathetic and worthless.

And while you bitch and whine about hiw givernment agencies are "unfair"...try to understand that you woukdnt have to deal with them if you were intelligent eniugh to take care of yourself and your own.

I am at the lake today...on my pontoon boat. I got here on my Harley. I left my 4 bedroom house to get here. Im off work from my JOB today...ahhhhhh, the luxuries of actually working for what i have...its so nice.. im done...gonna go tan now and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

hmmmm

Dickson, TN

#12 May 21, 2012
agree with true blood 100%!!! I will add that you have to have a license to drive a car, but any moron can have a child. SAD !!!!! They need to spay and neuter these people!!! can't feed em don't breed em !!! sick of having to pay child support via my tax dollars...
true blood

United States

#13 May 21, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
agree with true blood 100%!!! I will add that you have to have a license to drive a car, but any moron can have a child. SAD !!!!! They need to spay and neuter these people!!! can't feed em don't breed em !!! sick of having to pay child support via my tax dollars...
Amen!
sad

Charlottesville, VA

#14 May 21, 2012
mallory gartin sits around walmart parking lot at all hours of the night with her little girl in the car. i think shes only about a year old. you can see her running around the back seat. dss doesn't care. if more people would call and tell them maybe they would do something about it. you know in the middle of the night this woman is up to no good. dealing in meth is what ive heard.
Listen here buttwipe

Charlottesville, VA

#15 May 22, 2012
I know a couple who works. Has clean home. Drug/alcohol/tobacco free. And every time an irritated relative gets a whim, she calls CPS on these folks. I also know someone who beats their kid mercilessly and DSS does nothing. There are those who are toothless meth head leaches, but not all of them. Those meth head leaches get left alone, while innocent people suffer.
Disgruntled Voter

Boones Mill, VA

#16 Jul 10, 2012
All DSS agencies are due for an overhaul. Not just Smyth, not just Virginia. Buttwipe makes a point. There are people like that out there. They need to hold accusers accountable for their complaints. If they're telling the truth, then they have nothing to worry about.
face palm

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 10, 2012
If you make people give their names then half the legit complaints probably wouldn't come in and a lot of kids would be worse off. I get what you say but allowing anonymous calls has probably saved lives.
someone who cares

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jul 15, 2012
children need protection from abuse and neglect. I know personally a child removed from home for the parents fighting and drug and alcohol abuse only after about 10 reports or more. and dss was searching for them for the use of meth while child was in the preseneces. making o meth child was even reported and nothing was done until child was almost killed in 1 of the parents fights. where is child now ??? SAfE I hope it has been a long time but hope it is O>K> and parents never see again.
marion

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jul 16, 2012
The sad facts are Virginia laws suck. Infact it's though anyone can do anything wrong but the innocent pay the price. Take welfare... to many take advantage of the system... yet so many really need it. It's wrong to punish the ones who try to do right just because of the ones doing wrong... and guess what in Va. these low lifes that do wrong seem to get praise and rewarded. There are so many on disability, but over half of them are on it cause they just don't want to do their part or work. Then again there's many who are on it that need it. They need stricter laws and to make these baby boomers, lazy bodies, drug addicts and/ or alcoholics get out here get a job and support their own habits. I do not blame the workers... they are doing a job with rules set up by the state... I blame the state, and goverment officals for caring more about their wants and needs than the common man, child, or woman.
wiggywoo

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 16, 2012
most of the babyboomers are at retirement age now. They already worked their share. Let's focus on the rest you named. If you can drive, mow, do laundry, sweep your floor, talk on the phone then it sounds like you could get paid to do one of these things at a business and not get a disability check. JMHO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Corruption (Jul '13) 10 hr Justice For All 42
Support your President 12 hr Wendell 18
Sealed Indictment granted against Donald Trump 15 hr Jack Dawson 14
Sandra Delp 21 hr Curiousforgoodrea... 18
Sue 23 hr Kyle 12
snitch alert Wed Jackson 4
Trump Tue James Earl Ray 33

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance