Letter to Editor in Smyth Co News

Posted in the Marion Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
2good2betrue

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Apr 25, 2012
I couldn't believe that the Smyth Co News would even print such stupid stuff as the letter from somebody named Buck Pickard. I have known Betty Jo Keith for over 25 years, and I know all the good she has done. I know for a fact she has taken money out of her own pocket and bought milk for babies, gas for people looking for jobs. I know that because she did it for me and she's done it for a lot more. She has even picked up people in her own car and drove them to their job interviews. Anybody who believes this crap in the paper is a fool. She's got my vote on May 1. She should have everybody's in this town.
Betty Jo Keith

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Apr 25, 2012
I was shocked when I read this morning's paper. First off, I was surprised to be described as affluent when I live on my Social Security and my retirement. I have worked and made my own way since I was 17 years old. I am my own person, I don't come in a matched set & I don't belong to any "group of fear mongers". I am running for Marion Town Council because of people just like Buck Pickard. I have never done anything to hurt anyone intentionally. Now someone is trying to hurt me. I took a rebuttal letter to the Smyth Co News and was told the deadline was 4pm yesterday (4/24). If that was the case, they should not have published Buck Pickard's accusatory letter. That seems to be a pretty strategic move for those who oppose my election, don't ya think? I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed after what I've seen and heard over the past 3 months. I am confident that those who know me and have supported me, will continue to do so. Since the SCN will not allow me a rebuttal, the only way to strike back is by winning the election. I hope people in this town will support me as I have done them for 40 years.
caesar

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Apr 25, 2012
My Daddy always said :If you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything"
Whoa

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Apr 25, 2012
People like Buck Pickard is alot of the towns problem. We need some change and somebody to make a few waves. Represent the citizens once in awhile.
Betty Jo Keith

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Apr 25, 2012
Whoa wrote:
People like Buck Pickard is alot of the towns problem. We need some change and somebody to make a few waves. Represent the citizens once in awhile.
Thank you very much "Whoa". I am proud to report that the Smyth County News just sent me an e-mail. They are going to run my letter on Saturday...with editing, of course. That's fine as long as they don't edit to the point it's meaningless. I appreciate citizens like you standing up for what's right. That's what I want to do if I am elected. Read the Smyth Co News on Saturday! and THANKS again! See you at the polls!!
Chrome

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Apr 25, 2012
I read the letter and this is my thought on the entire subject!
Being a good person with a big heart doesn't mean you're the best person for a job. I don't know Betty Jo Keith so I can't say yay or nay about her but I do feel like the "fears" about Mt. Rogers was totally dramatic and ridiculous!-let me repeat this has nothing to do with Mrs. Keith as I'm unaware of what the letter to the editor was referring to when he mentioned her- As many have pointed out, Mt. Rogers has been in Smyth County for a very long time without incident. Whether it truly is a zoning issue or not, I don't know the answer but the fears of the people who live around there isn't necessary. Our children are in more danger getting off the bus and walking across the highway than they are being near a mt. rogers building. The same people who get services at mt. rogers go to church with us, swim in the public pool with our children, shop in the same grocery marts, etc. Many of them work at the IDC making products for our heroes--military men and women! It is a shame that people actually stood behind an outrageous claim that they were in fear of these patients. Some of the most affluent and wealthiest people have nervous break downs and or make bad choices and need mental health help. I've never heard anyone from Abingdon smear the work of their CSB like the people of Marion has Mt. Rogers. If it truly is a zoning issue and something wasn't done properly then people have a right to complain but not about the business going in or the services they offer. People from southwest mental hospital get out on passes with family sometimes. None of those out on passes have cut through the parking lot and ran straight to the middle school to harm our children or anyone else. There are more dangerous people out there NOT getting Mt. Rogers help. At least these people are trying.
joe

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 Apr 25, 2012
Chrome wrote:
Being a good person with a big heart doesn't mean you're the best person for a job. I don't know Betty Jo Keith so I can't say yay or nay about her but I do feel like the "fears" about Mt. Rogers was totally dramatic and ridiculous!-let me repeat this has nothing to do with Mrs. Keith as I'm unaware of what the letter to the editor was referring to when he mentioned her- As many have pointed out, Mt. Rogers has been in Smyth County for a very long time without incident. Whether it truly is a zoning issue or not, I don't know the answer but the fears of the people who live around there isn't necessary. Our children are in more danger getting off the bus and walking across the highway than they are being near a mt. rogers building. The same people who get services at mt. rogers go to church with us, swim in the public pool with our children, shop in the same grocery marts, etc. Many of them work at the IDC making products for our heroes--military men and women! It is a shame that people actually stood behind an outrageous claim that they were in fear of these patients. Some of the most affluent and wealthiest people have nervous break downs and or make bad choices and need mental health help. I've never heard anyone from Abingdon smear the work of their CSB like the people of Marion has Mt. Rogers. If it truly is a zoning issue and something wasn't done properly then people have a right to complain but not about the business going in or the services they offer. People from southwest mental hospital get out on passes with family sometimes. None of those out on passes have cut through the parking lot and ran straight to the middle school to harm our children or anyone else. There are more dangerous people out there NOT getting Mt. Rogers help. At least these people are trying.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. I would not worry about someone who is being treated for a mental illness, I'd worry about the people that are not treated at all. When people stop their treatment it is time to worry.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Apr 25, 2012
for real people can you not see where the people that are againist mt rogers are coming from, lets say they proposed to open a clinic on lets say middle ave boy i bet the mayor would be first to oppose that, or how about open it up on holly st well id bet our vice mayor mr gates would quickly oppose it, people its not because of mental people that they oppose it, would you want a clinic or as far as that goes a gas n go or anything that would be constant traffic going in and out in your neighborhood??? i think they r quite pleanty of choices in marion that are vacant and more suitible for business then in our neighborhoods. betty joe you as well as mr wassum and mrs hale have my votes, if people would stop and think would i want this in my neighborhood or next to my house before they spoke, but on the other hand i bet they're not COMMON folks like we are!
Albert

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Apr 25, 2012
wondering wrote:
for real people can you not see where the people that are againist mt rogers are coming from, lets say they proposed to open a clinic on lets say middle ave boy i bet the mayor would be first to oppose that, or how about open it up on holly st well id bet our vice mayor mr gates would quickly oppose it, people its not because of mental people that they oppose it, would you want a clinic or as far as that goes a gas n go or anything that would be constant traffic going in and out in your neighborhood??? i think they r quite pleanty of choices in marion that are vacant and more suitible for business then in our neighborhoods. betty joe you as well as mr wassum and mrs hale have my votes, if people would stop and think would i want this in my neighborhood or next to my house before they spoke, but on the other hand i bet they're not COMMON folks like we are!
How will the traffic there be different than the previous clinic, or the other doctors offices, or the hospital? If I didn't want medical arts next to my house, I wouldn't have bought next to the hospital. Let's be honest - this is discrimination, plain and simple. And it's wrong. People who are treated at mt Rogers are probably going to the eye doctors, dentists, and the hospital, too. So what specifically is wrong with having a medical clinic in the neighborhood? And are you willing to buy out AT&T the other doctors offices, and keep Emory from putting their medical school in the old hospital? Medical was there since the early 1960s. Nobody has a right to complain now.

And how did this get to a gas and go? Nobody's saying that's coming to Culbert drive, just a doctors office. If you can't win by telling the truth, make something up. Wassum!
Has a voice

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Apr 26, 2012
Folks complaining about the council and how they handle things is really funny. If I recall correctly the Mayor made a wonderful point at one of the meeting by saying the building had been for sale for several years and if the citizens whom lived near by had such grave concerns, why then did they not purchase the building. MR does great things for its clients and if we have council members who oppose new growth to our community we need to recheck our thoughts and vote for people who want to see Marion and Smyth county grow. If interested parties such as those planning on using SCCH (old) had any reservations, this would certainly have them wondering about what the future could hold for them. By Mrs . Keith being so concerned with defending herself, troubled me, because we need to be able to take others views and not take it so personal. Being vendictive and in your response saying they would edit your letter concerns me as to the content. People please consider your choices on May 1 and elect people who have our best interest at heart!
Whoa

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 26, 2012
Why would Mrs keith defending her views be any more troubling than Pickards expressing his? We've already had ordinances and zoning laws shoved down our throats it is time somebody question and hold the elected officials accountable.
Yep

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Apr 26, 2012
Whoa wrote:
Why would Mrs keith defending her views be any more troubling than Pickards expressing his? We've already had ordinances and zoning laws shoved down our throats it is time somebody question and hold the elected officials accountable.
How are they shoved down our throats? How many meetings did you attend to voice your opinions? Have you even read the ordinances or zoning laws? Didn't think so.
Marion Momma

North Garden, VA

#13 Apr 26, 2012
wondering wrote:
I am a real person and I honestly do not understand the fear that everyone seems to have about Mt. Rogers putting their clinic on Culbert Dr. Mt. Rogers is a medical facility providing medical services == those services happen to be to those with mental illnesses. Mental illness does not make a person bad just like having the flu or a broken tooth, or cancer cannot make a person bad. Mental illness is medical condition that needs to be treated like any other illness. If someone were a danger to themselves or to others, they would not be receiving outpatient services, they would receiving inpatient services at the State Hospital or other psych facility. Taking out full page ads in the newspaper to spread false information is just wrong and very sad. I just hope the people that are spreading the false information and inciting fear in their neighbors come to realize that those who seek treatment for mental illness are common people too and deserve respect and access to medical treatment just like any other person.
Harley T Ford-

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#14 Apr 26, 2012
Marion Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a real person and I honestly do not understand the fear that everyone seems to have about Mt. Rogers putting their clinic on Culbert Dr. Mt. Rogers is a medical facility providing medical services == those services happen to be to those with mental illnesses. Mental illness does not make a person bad just like having the flu or a broken tooth, or cancer cannot make a person bad. Mental illness is medical condition that needs to be treated like any other illness. If someone were a danger to themselves or to others, they would not be receiving outpatient services, they would receiving inpatient services at the State Hospital or other psych facility. Taking out full page ads in the newspaper to spread false information is just wrong and very sad. I just hope the people that are spreading the false information and inciting fear in their neighbors come to realize that those who seek treatment for mental illness are common people too and deserve respect and access to medical treatment just like any other person.
A support group thread just happened to appear on this forum and you made a comment about Mt Rogers Mental...then four minutes later you are making a case for them on this thread....I smell something fishy.....A lot of the residents complaints seem to me, are based on zoning and property values. I don't live in Marion, but it's in Smyth County. There's a lot of dirt going on here, county and town. Do you own property that could be reduced in value because of this clinic?
virginnie

Nashville, TN

#15 Apr 26, 2012
I haven't read the paper yet. I will first thing tomorrow morning. I will say this. I have known Buck all my life. He has always been a really good person. I doubt he would say something that is not true. I also know Betty Jo Keith. She was one of the people that attempted to block MRCSB from moving. She obviously does NOT know her town ordinances. She is a liar and sneaky.
virginnie

Nashville, TN

#16 Apr 26, 2012
Chrome wrote:
thank you! BJK is well known for starting crap. And jumping on the Wassum band wagon. She lost the MRCSB fight just like she will lose the election!
lula bell

Nashville, TN

#17 Apr 26, 2012
Albert wrote:
<quoted text>How will the traffic there be different than the previous clinic, or the other doctors offices, or the hospital? If I didn't want medical arts next to my house, I wouldn't have bought next to the hospital. Let's be honest - this is discrimination, plain and simple. And it's wrong. People who are treated at mt Rogers are probably going to the eye doctors, dentists, and the hospital, too. So what specifically is wrong with having a medical clinic in the neighborhood? And are you willing to buy out AT&T the other doctors offices, and keep Emory from putting their medical school in the old hospital? Medical was there since the early 1960s. Nobody has a right to complain now.

And how did this get to a gas and go? Nobody's saying that's coming to Culbert drive, just a doctors office. If you can't win by telling the truth, make something up. Wassum!
wanna see some discrimination?? Go look at the property deed of Wassum when they owned all the land where Culbert dr. is. It specifically says the land will NOT be sold to blacks! Think im lying? Go look for yourself. It's public record at the court house
bonzer

Paducah, KY

#18 Apr 26, 2012
lula bell wrote:
<quoted text>
wanna see some discrimination?? Go look at the property deed of Wassum when they owned all the land where Culbert dr. is. It specifically says the land will NOT be sold to blacks! Think im lying? Go look for yourself. It's public record at the court house
GREAT IDEA !!!
bonzer

Paducah, KY

#19 Apr 26, 2012
you go charlie !
oddie

Paducah, KY

#20 Apr 26, 2012
lula bell wrote:
<quoted text>
well look who it is, ole loony bell!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
General Trump Statues 1 hr Leon Debrion 4
Don't buy electronics from Travis Clark or Marc... 2 hr Batvamp 20
Wow did I dodge a bullet 2 hr Loon 6
Sandra delp 2 hr Babymomma16 36
Lost Cell Phone 4 hr Concerned citizen 3
Who is Anna Knapp, and why is she in jail??? (Sep '11) 4 hr getalife 15
Down Town 5 hr Earl 6
Lisa Rich 15 hr Concerned citizen 19

Marion Jobs

More from around the web