Marion Police Department

Marion Police Department

Posted in the Marion Forum

AlySon

United States

#1 May 26, 2008
Am I the only one who laughed at the letter to the editor about Christin Long in the Smyth Co paper? It talked about how she changed a tire for someone and how polite and professional she was. Um...isn't that her job? And those that know her know that it's the furthest thing from the truth! She only got hired with the PD because of her affair with Lt. Hayden and cuz her stepfather is a former judge. She got booted from the academy because she couldn't complete the requirements and yet she is still a member of the department??!! How is it possible that she can still drive around "protecting" the people when she's not even certified?
Ken H

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 26, 2008
Each uncertified officer is sent to the academy to receive the necessary training, and Long is given the same opportunities as any other officer. If, for some reason, she, or any other candidate cannot complete the training and receive certification during their probationary six months, then the Town won't continue their employment.

The Town has an open application process, one that is advertised locally and regionally, and an interview process that includes a written and an in-person exam. Even if there were ways to compromise the integrity of the process on the personal end, one must also score extremely well on the written exam to even be considered.
The Town is very serious in seeing that our citizens do indeed receive the best protection. I'm sorry if you've had personal issues with any of the town's officers, and if you feel strongly about those issues, I urge you to contact the Chief of Police (Mike Roberts) or the Town Manager (John Clark). Both numbers are in the phone book.

I can assure you that none of our officers in the past six years (my tenure) have been "booted" from the academy for not being able to complete the requirements. There have been health issues that kept officers out of class for more than two days, which automatically puts them out of the academy for that round because of the extensive amount of learning that the candidate would miss.
The Town of Marion appreciates every employee going out of their way to be kind and courteous to people. The job does not require the officers, or any other employees, to change tires, but the Town certainly encourages every employee to be polite and professional. From the letter, it seems Officer Long did just that.

Other allegations are just that, without evidence. I've always dealt better with those who keep complaints to factual information or personal opinion instead of rumor and gossip, and I would imagine that others would do likewise.
If you have an interest in a career in law enforcement in Marion, I would hope that you would work on furthering your own education at the community college level, and applying when an opening comes available.
coconutcream

North Garden, VA

#3 Feb 9, 2010
AlySon wrote:
Am I the only one who laughed at the letter to the editor about Christin Long in the Smyth Co paper? It talked about how she changed a tire for someone and how polite and professional she was. Um...isn't that her job? And those that know her know that it's the furthest thing from the truth! She only got hired with the PD because of her affair with Lt. Hayden and cuz her stepfather is a former judge. She got booted from the academy because she couldn't complete the requirements and yet she is still a member of the department??!! How is it possible that she can still drive around "protecting" the people when she's not even certified?
yeah im sure you are the only one laughing. im guessing your a ignorant man who is pissed cuz a woman can do something better than you can.when you become a it is not her job to be polite it is her job to arrest people she chose to be polite cuz thats what people should do. when you become a member of MPD you do things your way but untill then you have no right to judge the way the other police officers are doing it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Main st pit stop 1 hr ColinDJollyPippin 5
Sugar grove fire dept 2 hr Grandmas buldge 13
Katie Delp 2 hr Lol 9
Erica Medley 3 hr Chris Ashby 5
Brooke Burns 3 hr Alexius 2
Brandy Bise 3 hr Momma bear 3
Anyone know Maggie at Sonic? (Jul '14) 3 hr Ex lover 6

Marion Jobs

Personal Finance

Marion Mortgages