Sugar Grove Diner
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Disappointed

United States

#1 Feb 19, 2010
Boy the Diner has went down hill since it left the Grove. I'm kinda wondering why it has. Went in the other day to eat, food wasnt that bad but it has been better. Waitresses were really nice. Well all but one. Who is the guy that runs around during the day. Mostly during the day I have seen him some during the evening there. He acts like a real idiot. Spoke to someone today that told me he was in there today wearing some type of stupid hat. LOL is he pimping out of the diner? Enough about him. For the most part its a relaxing atmosphere. Love the mood. Just do not like the food sometimes and the idiot man that bothers me all the time. For those of you that havent been there, go.
Old Timer

Marion, VA

#2 Feb 19, 2010
I've eaten there twice since they reopened and it tasted exactly as it did before.
crazy

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 19, 2010
I have never eat there maybe I will go sometime..
oooyougotserved

Chilhowie, VA

#4 Feb 20, 2010
My husband and I ate there when they first opened. He got a biscut and gravy. The gravy wasn't that good at all. I got french toast. It was good. I would probably go back and eat there. The waitress was great. All if them had an upbeat attitude. Very nice and polite. But all in all, we would go back and eat there again.
wannaknow

Chilhowie, VA

#5 Feb 20, 2010
The sugar grove diner is a very nice place to go and eat very clean and the waitress are very friendly and fun ...which waitress wasnt nice they all seem nice to me ... the guy ur talking about is the owners son i think.... be sure to go and give it a try ...
SongofJoy57

Hickory, NC

#6 Feb 20, 2010
Where did they move? When my aunt & I would make a visit to Marion, it was always a tradition of ours to stop and have coffee and dessert there in Sugar Grove on the way home. I love to visit your neck of the woods.
We Are

Palmyra, VA

#7 Feb 20, 2010
SongofJoy57, Off exit 47 Marion, Magnusen Hotel
across from Tractor Supply. The diner is in hotel.
inthebiz

Johnson City, TN

#8 Feb 21, 2010
SongofJoy57 wrote:
Where did they move? When my aunt & I would make a visit to Marion, it was always a tradition of ours to stop and have coffee and dessert there in Sugar Grove on the way h ome. I love to visit your neck of the woods.
the diner is now in the magnuson hotel, near the end of town across from highlands union bank...i have eaten there several times and really enjoy its food...im in the restaurant business and still enjoy the food there..daily specials..tried the prime rib on friday night..oh my goodness..it was sooo good..they do mostly home cooking as close as it can get..i understand that with the opening of a new restaurant their is always going to be flaws to work out..that comes with the territory..
inthebiz

Johnson City, TN

#9 Feb 21, 2010
oooyougotserved wrote:
My husband and I ate there when they first opened. He got a biscut and gravy. The gravy wasn't that good at all. I got french toast. It was good. I would probably go back and eat there. The waitress was great. All if them had an upbeat attitude. Very nice and polite. But all in all, we would go back and eat there again.
.....well if you want homemade gravy and biscuits thats the place..if not go to the ones that make it out of a powdery mix or can gravy..
inthebiz

Johnson City, TN

#10 Feb 21, 2010
Old Timer wrote:
I've eaten there twice since they reopened and it tasted exactly as it did before.
...i travel through the area several times a week Old Timer..im glad they have reopened..and yes it taste just as good if now better...of course your going to get those people replying its bad and usually they are competitors or people who are just have a sad and unhappy life..want to make others look or sound bad..what one could say to them is just dont go back...there is always a McDonalds down the road..go eat fast food but your not going to find a place with any better home cooking, as close as you can get to it at least..
inthebiz

Johnson City, TN

#11 Feb 21, 2010
wannaknow wrote:
The sugar grove diner is a very nice place to go and eat very clean and the waitress are very friendly and fun ...which waitress wasnt nice they all seem nice to me ... the guy ur talking about is the owners son i think.... be sure to go and give it a try ...
...one has got to understand your going to find and good as well as bad waiters/waitresses everywhere...ive enjoyed my experiences with the girls there...its new and got to weed out the bad..you know not all are going to come in with a good sense of humour..instead of leaving all the drama at the door they at times got to bring it in and tend to take it out on everyone..if someone has a bad experience with the staff tell the owner..ive chatted with her several times and trust me she is very understanding and a very dedicated christian woman..i understand there are those who are out there for a free meal on occasion..i see more good than bad there...but it is everywhere..
Just Wondering

Marion, VA

#12 Feb 21, 2010
The open face roast beef sammich, mashed 'taters and gravy are great! I've had 3 different times and every time it's been excellent.
oooyougotserved

Chilhowie, VA

#13 Feb 22, 2010
inthebiz wrote:
<quoted text>.....well if you want homemade gravy and biscuits thats the place..if not go to the ones that make it out of a powdery mix or can gravy..
I was saying it wasn't that good the day we went there but we would go back. If I want homemade gravy and biscuts I will fix it myself! We wanted to try out the diner and we did. Just giving an opinion. I can't stand the powdery mix and that is what it tasted like. We have not been back for breakfast but we will go again. I love the feeling of how nice everyone is and it is just a good business that has been brought in to town!
yummyummynmytumm y

Saltville, VA

#14 Feb 23, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
Boy the Diner has went down hill since it left the Grove. I'm kinda wondering why it has. Went in the other day to eat, food wasnt that bad but it has been better. Waitresses were really nice. Well all but one. Who is the guy that runs around during the day. Mostly during the day I have seen him some during the evening there. He acts like a real idiot. Spoke to someone today that told me he was in there today wearing some type of stupid hat. LOL is he pimping out of the diner? Enough about him. For the most part its a relaxing atmosphere. Love the mood. Just do not like the food sometimes and the idiot man that bothers me all the time. For those of you that havent been there, go.
laugh out louder....you write like an idiot...and that bothers everyone.
Go figure

Knoxville, TN

#15 Feb 23, 2010
yummyummynmytummy wrote:
<quoted text>
laugh out louder....you write like an idiot...and that bothers everyone.
HA HA HA He still looks like an idiot in that hat. Disappointed must have struck a nerve or something. Who really knows? Who really cares????
wanna know

Chilhowie, VA

#16 Feb 24, 2010
why do people have to be mean ... if he wore his underwear it isnt any of your business so why call names ... a person that has to call people names you must have issues within yourself ... So why dont you clean out your own backdoor before you start making fun of someone else ... I told him to get him a big huge feather to put in it so next week that should give you something else to talk about so go ahead and laugh cause it isnt hurting his feelings it is just making you look like a fool ... so go ahead and enjoy it !!!!
yummyyummynmytum my

Saltville, VA

#17 Feb 24, 2010
The Sugar Grove Diner is a wonderful place to eat in a comfortable relaxing atmosphere. It is a family oriented establishment that recently moved from Sugar Grove to Marion because of the issue with the water. The Diner was the "sweet spot" of Sugar Grove for over 25 years and if you poll the citizens of Sugar Grove they will tell you how much they miss the Diner. You will not be disappointed with the food or the service. It is a great place to go with family and friends you will not be disappointed.

The menu was continued from the Sugar Grove location, as well as, the quality of food and service. You can eat a home cooked meal for the price of a burger and fries from fast food. The Diner also showcases local talent on Monday and Tuesday nights that is free to our dining guest. New to the Diner is a unique gift selection, items are hung throughout the dinning room and you will be pleasantly surprised at the prices. The Diner is available for large party's or can provide a full services business meetings. Daily specials and local talent showcase schedules are posted on The Sugar Grove Diner Group page on Facebook.

Owners Allen and Peggy extend a warm welcome to everyone to come and check out the new location.
All of Us

Palmyra, VA

#18 Feb 24, 2010
My relatives has eaten there and enjoyed it. Said it was same quality of food and service. I have not yet but will when time allows. Only complaint Ihave heard is the parking area. I can live with that. Maybe they will open up a second one on the west side of Marion.
wonder why

Johnson City, TN

#19 Feb 24, 2010
oooyougotserved wrote:
<quoted text>I was saying it wasn't that good the day we went there but we would go back. If I want homemade gravy and biscuts I will fix it myself! We wanted to try out the diner and we did. Just giving an opinion. I can't stand the powdery mix and that is what it tasted like. We have not been back for breakfast but we will go again. I love the feeling of how nice everyone is and it is just a good business that has been brought in to town!
...i apoligize if i took it the wrong way..it definately is made from scatch..ive spoken with the owner and breakfast is busy there..again im sorry and apoligize..
been there

Vesta, VA

#20 Feb 24, 2010
The diner is great place to eat and the food
is the best everything is homemade. The girls
who waited onus were kind and thoughtful had
really good attitudes to thier customers.
Everyone was smiling and the food was brought
out quickly for a lunch hour rush. should
go try it sometime. we recomend it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Caitlin Brisco 1 hr trailertrash 1
shingo restaurant 4 hr Going when they r... 33
pumpkin head 5 hr Lame 9
Stacey Alan Blevins 13 hr jex 2
anyone know melanie james-whaley? 15 hr chilhowie 2
secondhand treasures 18 hr Bruce 7
who for sheriff and why 18 hr Bruce 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marion Mortgages