Weight discrimination could be as com...

Weight discrimination could be as common as racial bias

There are 74 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 21, 2008, titled Weight discrimination could be as common as racial bias. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Weight discrimination, especially against women, is increasing in U.S. society and is almost as common as racial discrimination, two studies suggest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CathyJ

Amelia Court House, VA

#62 May 31, 2008
Sick of Being Heavy wrote:
I am a very active middle aged woman. I do not eat but one meal a day and not a very big meal. I drink plenty of water ,get plenty of excercise, and do not eat junk food or overeat. I have had 6 kids- 3 of them being c-sections. I am over-weight and depressed about it. I am doing everything that I can to lose the wieght and still it goes no where. Please for all of you out there putting over-weight people down can you tell me what else I should do?
Please remember I only eat one meal a day and it is always a healthy smaller meal. I do not get hungry and still can't lose weight. I excercise everyday. I walk, ride bikes, do sit-ups, stomach crunches, stretches and a bunch of other excercises. So please tell me what else I can do? The doctors say they do not know why I have gained this weight in the last few years. I have no known ailments that have caused my weight to go up. I am really sick of the weight as it is totally disgusting to me as an individual. What other things can you come up with to help?
My best guess is that you actually need to eat more. When we don't give our bodies enough nutrition then they take every calorie and carbohydrate they can get, and they store it away, perhaps for later use.

For both you and Sandi, I would get to a doctor and seek professional advice.
Duhhhhh

Grand Rapids, MI

#63 May 31, 2008
Did you not read the post before you posted CathyJ? Sick of Being Heavy said that the doctors have no reasons or options for that person. Sounds like they are trying everything they can and getting no where. Maybe it is because they are going through the middle age spread? Who knows!
All I can say is to keep trying to lose the weight so that your health is not affected. Also try eating 5 or 6 smaller tiny meals a day and keep up with the excercise and drinking pleanty of water. Good luck Sick of Being Heavy!!!!
CathyJ

Amelia Court House, VA

#64 Jun 1, 2008
Duhhhhh wrote:
Did you not read the post before you posted CathyJ? Sick of Being Heavy said that the doctors have no reasons or options for that person.
So sorry! My mistake!

Sick of Being Heavy, what kinds of doctors have you seen? Have you seen a bariatric doctor? A bariatric doctor specializes in weight loss issues and may be able to help better than a medical doctor.

And Duhhhhh seemed to agree with me that maybe you need to eat more. At least you need to eat more often. Your body needs more food. Even though you don't feel hungry your body will use the food for fuel to burn off more fat.

Since: Feb 08

Tri-cities area

#65 Jun 1, 2008
Sick of Being Heavy wrote:
I am a very active middle aged woman. I do not eat but one meal a day and not a very big meal. I drink plenty of water ,get plenty of excercise, and do not eat junk food or overeat. I have had 6 kids- 3 of them being c-sections. I am over-weight and depressed about it. I am doing everything that I can to lose the wieght and still it goes no where. Please for all of you out there putting over-weight people down can you tell me what else I should do?
Please remember I only eat one meal a day and it is always a healthy smaller meal. I do not get hungry and still can't lose weight. I excercise everyday. I walk, ride bikes, do sit-ups, stomach crunches, stretches and a bunch of other excercises. So please tell me what else I can do? The doctors say they do not know why I have gained this weight in the last few years. I have no known ailments that have caused my weight to go up. I am really sick of the weight as it is totally disgusting to me as an individual. What other things can you come up with to help?
You say you are 'middle aged'? Menopause, even peri-menopause, can bring on weight gain and could have something to do with a loss of appetite. you might want to have this checked out too.
Marsha

Amelia Court House, VA

#66 Jun 1, 2008
cheers 2u wrote:
<quoted text>You say you are 'middle aged'? Menopause, even peri-menopause, can bring on weight gain and could have something to do with a loss of appetite. you might want to have this checked out too.
I agree. It sounds like those who are heavy and have tried in earnest to lose the weight mostly need to consult with a doctor who specializes in metabolic science and weight loss and cover all of the bases.

As someone referenced before, we are all prone to making a judgment about people based on what we see. Perhaps not all heavy people are lazy slobs. Perhaps some heavy people really do make an effort to take care of themselves and lose weight.

However, I think that those people are in the minority, which is unfortunately why they tend to fall into the stereotype of the fat lazy slob.

When I see a heavy person at McDonald's eating a Big Mac I am less likely to think that they are making an honest attempt at a healthy lifestyle. It's just that simple.
durr

Milan, MI

#67 Jun 2, 2008
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's think about that...is there liability discrimination?!?
Business owners do talk, Human Resource managers all belong to a group in G.R...or talk to one...it would spread like wild fire.
One would need hard core evidence. Weight can stop you from getting life insurance...are you going to scream weight discrimination? or shall I sit down and explain the risks of being obese, considering I have heard them all..and do not WANT ANY OF THEM!
you are in control of you. Stop being sue happy and just start walking.
why you didn't really get what i was saying you pretty much said what I did bu you just dont get it smart one...
15 percent body fat

Austin, TX

#68 Jun 3, 2008
This is an Insurance scam against large framed people as well. Usually, they will give you insurance but charge you a much higher rate so they make more money. I am 32 years old 5'11 225 ilbs at 15% body fat because I have been ligting weights for over 12 years now. Because I weigh more that 190 I am being offer insurance but at twice the prefered rate.
I am certainly not obese and in much better shape and health than people under 190 that do not work out at all.
It is definitely not fair, I am being discriminated against because I have built up muscle, not fat. I just feel that the scale is not the only thing to look at. Body fat percentage should be considered as well especially by doctors and insurance companies.(Insurance companies: who have no medical training yet the insurance companies seem to be the ones makeing many of the decisions about health here in America, but I guess that would be a totally different topic all together)
soccer

Gardiner, ME

#69 Jun 15, 2008
5 percent of men and 10 percent of women are discrimated. this a sad thing for our country. most people "fat" do not want to be it is just how we are . we come in all differnt shapes and sizes .
Fat Chicks Rule

New York, NY

#70 Jun 16, 2008
I don't go for all the propaganda to pressure me into being a twig. I'm a tall size 20, I'm happy, I'm healthy, I'm successful, and have a very healthy self esteem. How many people can say they haven't even had a cold or the flu in several years? I can! I try to eat healthy and stay away from fast food, I get as much activity as I can, my hygiene is immaculate. Don't tell me you think I should lose weight because you're concerned about my health - that is a bunch of baloney and we both know it. It is an aesthetic issue in this country. Thin people die of different illnesses everyday. Death and illness are a genetic crap shoot. Now morbidly obese people that have lost their ability to be mobile definitely have a problem they should have realized long before they got to that point, but if a girl wants to celebrate her ample booty and triple DDDs, why shouldn't she? How many of you think Queen Latifah's an ugly slob?

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#71 Jun 16, 2008
There is discrimination at both ends of that spectrum, the more obvious being the heavier people. However, the very slender get their share too, being accused of being anorexic, when they are not.
Personally, I think the Queen looks great. I like a little padding on a woman..makes her cuddly! I have seen many women that would be considered heavy by many that I think look great.
Gail in Wyoming

Grand Rapids, MI

#72 Jun 17, 2008
There has always been discrimination against overweight people, especially women. People can be cruel, and this rubs off on their children, too.

Overweight children in school are really made fun of, called names, etc. I've always felt bad for the overweight children, but, then, I guess I've always been for the underdog.

Tri-cities area

#73 Jun 17, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
There is discrimination at both ends of that spectrum, the more obvious being the heavier people. However, the very slender get their share too, being accused of being anorexic, when they are not.
Personally, I think the Queen looks great. I like a little padding on a woman..makes her cuddly! I have seen many women that would be considered heavy by many that I think look great.
My hubby would agree with you Taz, in more ways than one!
Whenever I put on weight and I'm feeling down, he makes comments like "more of you to love" and "I like my women 'meaty'"!!!!
So what's bad is that when he was 70lbs heavier a few years ago, I wasn't even close to nice towards him.!

Tri-cities area

#74 Jun 17, 2008
Gail in Wyoming wrote:
There has always been discrimination against overweight people, especially women. People can be cruel, and this rubs off on their children, too.
Overweight children in school are really made fun of, called names, etc. I've always felt bad for the overweight children, but, then, I guess I've always been for the underdog.
Honestly, I find that it is all in the attitude with people who are overweight. This sounds rude, but the ones who 'push their weight around'(pun intended) are the ones who get to me. The humble ones are so much easier to deal with and I'm more apt to be respectful towards them. Does that make sense?

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#75 Jun 17, 2008
cheers 2u wrote:
<quoted text>My hubby would agree with you Taz, in more ways than one!
Whenever I put on weight and I'm feeling down, he makes comments like "more of you to love" and "I like my women 'meaty'"!!!!
So what's bad is that when he was 70lbs heavier a few years ago, I wasn't even close to nice towards him.!
Sophia Loren has never been a skinny woman, but men still salivate over her and Marilyn Monroe was not skinny either but men loved her. I believe that the media has had a lot to do with the approach many take to the size of a person, especially the entertainment press and the fashion industry.
As for children in school, they tend to mirror the attitudes of their parents in many ways. It is true that children can be cruel, but (with the younger ones) I don't think many of them realize that they are being cruel. As they get older (such as just pre teen and teen, they tend to go along with peer pressure and a persons weight is just one of many excuses they use to target people. In many cases with teens, they go beyond cruel and become vicious. I wish I had the answer for that one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wells Fargo starts foreclosure proceedings on s... (Jul '09) May 28 bill 27
News Beer Battered Onion Rings newest dip flavor fro... May 13 LOU 1
News Thousands in Macedonia protest alleged police b... May 10 GRUEVSKI MORON 2
News Webster man questioned in case of missing Chili... (Apr '09) May '15 SashaStarr 948
News Massive drug bust in Macedon; 2 arrested (May '14) Apr '15 Pot Partaker 2
Best Dumplings in Wayne County Apr '15 Antdos81 1
News Webster man charged with burglary again Apr '15 BiggerFishToFry 5
More from around the web

Marion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]