Weight discrimination could be as com...

Weight discrimination could be as common as racial bias

There are 74 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 21, 2008, titled Weight discrimination could be as common as racial bias. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Weight discrimination, especially against women, is increasing in U.S. society and is almost as common as racial discrimination, two studies suggest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
durr

United States

#1 May 21, 2008
You can change your weight you can't change your color so if someone is getting made fun of for being FAT maybe that will give them the motivation to get off their lazy a_ss and do something about it I say encourage the harrassment

“Don't touch my junk man!”

Since: Nov 07

Middle of the Mitten, Michigan

#2 May 21, 2008
I understand pushing for ways to eliminate weight discrimination, discrimination period needs to end. However, instead of pushing for further acceptance, why doesn't she use her 180 pound weight loss to communicate to others the importance of living a healthy lifestyle?

“Just Thinking”

United States

#3 May 21, 2008
Well smokers get discriminated.

The whole "discrimination" issue is a tough one for some folks.

Weight - obesity - well, I just know my home furniture is normal size and my chairs at work are normal size. If someone's butt is four times the size of mine,(average female 135 lb., mid-40s age), well, I don't know what to say. I am certainly not going to purchase furniture to have a guest at my home who cannot sit down on the chairs because she weighs 367 lb. or whatever. Sorry. If that is discrimination, well, I don't know what to say.

“Just Thinking”

United States

#4 May 21, 2008
**** = bvtt
Sandi

Attica, OH

#5 May 21, 2008
As someone who was literally born fat, and has struggled to lose weight for a lifetime (beginning with a diet at age 10 for a 20 lb weight loss),I can attest to the fact that we are not all created with equal metabolisms. I have always "lived healthy", with regular exercise and a low fat diet. Even after bariatric surgery, I did not achieve a normal weight, and no, I didn't cheat. Although I have a high IQ and several college degrees, I have experienced discrimination because of weight. I am still the same "Me" I was before a hundred pound loss. It is just plain wrong that people who have weight issues are discriminated against by others who do not understand, because they have not experienced, what it is like to be fat.
hello kitteh

Middleville, MI

#6 May 21, 2008
Well I would think it would depend on the job. Would you take an obese doctor seriously? Or a nurse? Dietitian? Or how protected would you feel by a cop that's too fat to chase down a criminal. Or a fireman that's too heavy to climb a ladder or carry a child out of a burning building?
In a situation where a woman works at a library, it seems pretty petty to call her out on her looks and put her job on the line. In general people are too judgemental on how other people look.
This whole rage in Hollywood to be the newest celeb with skin stretched over bones look is beyond rediculous. So where is the happy medium here?
Be happy and healthy in your own skin. Don't care what other people think and seriously, if you get fired for the way you look, get a great attorney. That way you will not only be happy "fat" person, you'll be filthy rich too. ;-)
durr

United States

#7 May 21, 2008
hello kitteh wrote:
Well I would think it would depend on the job. Would you take an obese doctor seriously? Or a nurse? Dietitian? Or how protected would you feel by a cop that's too fat to chase down a criminal. Or a fireman that's too heavy to climb a ladder or carry a child out of a burning building?
In a situation where a woman works at a library, it seems pretty petty to call her out on her looks and put her job on the line. In general people are too judgemental on how other people look.
This whole rage in Hollywood to be the newest celeb with skin stretched over bones look is beyond rediculous. So where is the happy medium here?
Be happy and healthy in your own skin. Don't care what other people think and seriously, if you get fired for the way you look, get a great attorney. That way you will not only be happy "fat" person, you'll be filthy rich too. ;-)
Filty rich? So thats how you view things.. sue, sue , sue.. Besides if you sue an employer you get put on the black list and it's impossible to find another job. Even you got over a million you'd probably spend that all on food
hello kitteh

Middleville, MI

#8 May 21, 2008
durr wrote:
<quoted text>Filty rich? So thats how you view things.. sue, sue , sue.. Besides if you sue an employer you get put on the black list and it's impossible to find another job. Even you got over a million you'd probably spend that all on food
No I am not but if I was fired and the reason was what I look like, you can bet your sweet arse I'd get my compensation. Discrimination is ILLEGAL you idiot. And there is no such black list that you speak of. Wanna try again?
I Speak the Truth

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 May 21, 2008
This is a fine line to tread though, let me give you an example.
Last week I was waiting in line at the local bank, there was a young "lady" nearby who appeared to be waiting to see a loan officer.
She was wearing s shirt that said "F--- you, you F----ing F---", she was loud and dropping said F-bombs on her cell phone as well. She commented about the F---ing bank not having enough F---ing people, and being stuck with the F---ing 4 month old while she waited. She was dressed like she had just crawled out of bed, and had numerous facial piercings that were visible, and oh yes she was obese. all of us in line heard every word, and she was loud enough that I bet those in their offices nearby were dreading having her walk in....
So if the loan officer, after noting all of this, ultimately decides not to give her a loan, she could assume it's because she is "fat", when the fact could be she clearly painted herself as a less than optimal risk factor for said loan.
Bottom line is, let's not give anyone another excuse for their failures, real or perceived.
Pretty soon fat people might want to sue if you turned them down for a date, since you "discriminated" against them based on appearance.
NO WAY

Wyoming, MI

#11 May 21, 2008
I agree with SOME of what hello kitteh said. There are some jobs were you can't be obese. I also don't think we as a society should pretend being obese is acceptable. There is a difference is being obese and being overweight. I think being obese is unacceptable. A person should never let is reach that point. Even with slow metabolism, if you have a healthy lifestyle you will never get to that point. I see so many overweight kids now it is ridiculous. Where are the parents. To many kids are at home sitting on there tushes in front of the TV stuffing Doritos down there throats. When I was growing up, which was less than 10yrs ago by the way, We got 3 meals a day, and maybe a healthy snack after school. We played outside all day, we weren't aloud in the house to lay around. We went on Family bike rides very often and encouraged to be as active as possible. My parents were active and healthy which gave us kids good role models to follow by. Now my kids are outside as often as possible, are in sports, and we go on family bike rides often also. Not only is it healthy, but it is cheaper than just dropping you kids off at the mall or renting movies and games for them to juts sit around. So the next time your thinking about all the things you have to squeeze into the next day maybe you should think about you and your families health and do something healthy and active!
Sgt Mike

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 May 21, 2008
Sandi wrote:
As someone who was literally born fat, and has struggled to lose weight for a lifetime (beginning with a diet at age 10 for a 20 lb weight loss),I can attest to the fact that we are not all created with equal metabolisms. I have always "lived healthy", with regular exercise and a low fat diet. Even after bariatric surgery, I did not achieve a normal weight, and no, I didn't cheat. Although I have a high IQ and several college degrees, I have experienced discrimination because of weight. I am still the same "Me" I was before a hundred pound loss. It is just plain wrong that people who have weight issues are discriminated against by others who do not understand, because they have not experienced, what it is like to be fat.
My daughter has a weight problem she is able to keep it stable but is still lg 160 at 5'3" Her prob is related to metabilism and I understand your delema.
But go to mc donalds or any of the fast food joint and look at the tanks that are there and they get SUPER SIZED meals, pathetic ck the hadicap parking spot and the folks with knee prob are huge some with just cause others are just fat' if u can loose it stay out of Mc Conalds
Tommy

Flint, MI

#13 May 21, 2008
All this fat talk makes me hungry!!
me too

United States

#14 May 21, 2008
what if you don't hire somebody because they have noxious body odor. Is that stank discrimination? What if they just don't like showers, or if they have a stankin medical problem? Is there a difference? They stank either way, and I don't want to work next to a stanky person.
Devon

Harbor Springs, MI

#15 May 21, 2008
Tommy wrote:
All this fat talk makes me hungry!!
Me too. Lets go to a buffet and eat like a hog.
me too

United States

#16 May 21, 2008
hell yeah fire up the F-150's an lets roll beyotches
durr

United States

#17 May 21, 2008
hello kitteh wrote:
<quoted text>
No I am not but if I was fired and the reason was what I look like, you can bet your sweet arse I'd get my compensation. Discrimination is ILLEGAL you idiot. And there is no such black list that you speak of. Wanna try again?
No you try again I have confirmed evidence of this being fired and suing no more jobs for you because you're a LIABILIATY
Interesting

Roy, UT

#18 May 21, 2008
I am an individual that is in the process of losing weight I am at 81 lbs loss. I have about another 40 lbs per the doctors, but I would like 60 -80 lbs more. Just to be at a somewhat normal weight, I will still be obese...bottom line.

It is hard, fat food is cheap. Healthy food is expensive. Walking is free, watching what you eat is too. I was always the fat one. But one can be fat and healthy..obese is not healthy. I am losing becaue my degree will be obtained and I do want to get a job -- yes, you read that right. I know how this whole thing works. The skinny cute girls get the jobs and they have NO brains to back it up. So, I have to get to a size where I won't be discriminated against.

I had 3 kids and 4 pregnancies...my father is diabetic and tons of heart disease, attacks, etc. People need to be educated, they are not.

Black or fat....don't let anyone rain on your parade.

Eat a salad for me Devon and me too! no dressing please.
Alfred

United States

#19 May 21, 2008
Fat people smell !
Interesting

Roy, UT

#20 May 21, 2008
durr wrote:
<quoted text>No you try again I have confirmed evidence of this being fired and suing no more jobs for you because you're a LIABILIATY
Let's think about that...is there liability discrimination?!?

Business owners do talk, Human Resource managers all belong to a group in G.R...or talk to one...it would spread like wild fire.

One would need hard core evidence. Weight can stop you from getting life insurance...are you going to scream weight discrimination? or shall I sit down and explain the risks of being obese, considering I have heard them all..and do not WANT ANY OF THEM!

you are in control of you. Stop being sue happy and just start walking.
Interesting

Roy, UT

#21 May 21, 2008
Sgt Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter has a weight problem she is able to keep it stable but is still lg 160 at 5'3" Her prob is related to metabilism and I understand your delema.
But go to mc donalds or any of the fast food joint and look at the tanks that are there and they get SUPER SIZED meals, pathetic ck the hadicap parking spot and the folks with knee prob are huge some with just cause others are just fat' if u can loose it stay out of Mc Conalds
\

Good for her..its hard, but well worth it. Careful of the salad's even at McD's. They have MORE calories than the burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches. Knowledge is POWER!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Video: Man who assaulted 82-year old Upstate NY... 22 hr IescapedNY 2
News Spring rain caused severe sewage overflows in L... Aug 15 InquiringMind 2
News Man Found Dead on Road in Marion (Dec '06) Aug 12 saddened family 15
News Disbarred New Rochelle Attorney gets more than ... (Jul '16) Jul 24 corp crime report 5
News Ontario taxpayers on hook for $25 million over ... Jul '17 more 1
Riding the motorcycle every weekend on Crosspoi... Jul '17 SPT 2
News Bill offering $90 million in Lake Ontario flood... Jul '17 IescapedNY 14

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marion Mortgages