Parent tells McDowell School Board principal used excessive force

Sep 17, 2008 Full story: 22

By BRITT COMBS Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Allegations of abuse of students and unjust failing of students forced the regular agenda to the back burner at this month's School Board meeting. The boardroom was filled to capacity at the opening of their regular meeting Monday night. Three citizens requested to address the board, and two were heard in a closed session that lasted nearly three hours. Read complete story at mcdowellnews.com

Photo: Charles Gaffigan, Principal Old Fort School

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Coder

Asheville, NC

#1 Sep 17, 2008
Looks like the principal was vindicated.
Coder

Asheville, NC

#2 Sep 17, 2008
and you could not pay me enough to teach McDowell County children.
The county has indigenous poor parenting.

Piss poor gene pool.

Since: Jun 08

Marion,NC

#3 Sep 17, 2008
Coder wrote:
Piss poor gene pool.
You should not speak in absolutes. There are many,many wonderful parents in McDowell County - including me :)
scoop

Raleigh, NC

#4 Sep 17, 2008
...what about the idiot principal that let a teacher ride her motorcycle into a gynasium during some recent student elections !?!?!?

oh, did we mention a child was on the bike with her ???
Dean

Morganton, NC

#5 Sep 17, 2008
Nebo elementary i'm pretty sure.
but someone out there reading this could tell us for sure.

yeah, just let a teacher ride a motorcycle right in the gym during an assembly.

no safety concerns there, even with a student on there with HER.
hmmmm

Greenville, SC

#6 Sep 17, 2008
Coder wrote:
Piss poor gene pool.
You shouldn't be allowed internet access...EVER!

Since: Jul 08

Marion, NC

#7 Sep 17, 2008
Sounds like the kid needed to be removed from the classroom due to their inappropriate behavior. The teacher did the right thing by getting the principal involved. It's hearsay whether he actually put the kid in a "full-nelson" and carried her out, but at the very least I would be ok with a good old-fashioned "A#% bustin" if she would not cooperate. That's the problem today, when I was in school those wooden paddles usually did the trick to keep us on the straight and narrow. I had Gaffigan as a teacher at the high school, he was a pretty stand-up guy then and I'm sure that hasn't changed. I guess, put yourselves in their shoes. If the kid would not cooperate or leave the classroom and was disrupting the learning experience for other children then someone has to step in and be the adult. Had I been in his shoes she would have had bruise on her A*% to match the one on her arm.
scoop

Raleigh, NC

#8 Sep 18, 2008
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't be allowed internet access...EVER!
WHATEVER KAY !!!
scoop

Raleigh, NC

#9 Sep 18, 2008
THEN, YOUR A*% WOULD'VE BEEN IN TROUBLE.
BellyFullaSoul wrote:
Sounds like the kid needed to be removed from the classroom due to their inappropriate behavior. The teacher did the right thing by getting the principal involved. It's hearsay whether he actually put the kid in a "full-nelson" and carried her out, but at the very least I would be ok with a good old-fashioned "A#% bustin" if she would not cooperate. That's the problem today, when I was in school those wooden paddles usually did the trick to keep us on the straight and narrow. I had Gaffigan as a teacher at the high school, he was a pretty stand-up guy then and I'm sure that hasn't changed. I guess, put yourselves in their shoes. If the kid would not cooperate or leave the classroom and was disrupting the learning experience for other children then someone has to step in and be the adult. Had I been in his shoes she would have had bruise on her A*% to match the one on her arm.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#10 Sep 18, 2008
Coder wrote:
Piss poor gene pool.
Mind you, I am from Marion. I grew up there. I even got out of Marion. There a select few of us that aren't in the "piss poor gene pool." Some of us are worth a little something. However, I don't disagree that there is a lot of poor parenting in McDowell County, but that is everywhere, not just McDowell. And mostly, it is lazy parenting, not just poor parenting.

“dave.. I can't let you do that”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#11 Sep 20, 2008
In Elizabeth Steven's letter to the ed in Fri edition (Sept,19) of McDowell News, she states "During a "closed" session School Board meeting; a board member stated, "The people of McDowell County want to keep corporal punishment because that is what the Bible teaches. I will never vote to ban corporal punishment."

Does any one out there know how she obtained information from a closed session and who was the board member who made the statement?
Flipper Franklin

Morganton, NC

#12 Sep 20, 2008
who give a flying crap hal?
the only letters to the editor you should concern yourself with are the ones i write.
call me Hal wrote:
In Elizabeth Steven's letter to the ed in Fri edition (Sept,19) of McDowell News, she states "During a "closed" session School Board meeting; a board member stated, "The people of McDowell County want to keep corporal punishment because that is what the Bible teaches. I will never vote to ban corporal punishment."
Does any one out there know how she obtained information from a closed session and who was the board member who made the statement?
russel m

Marion, NC

#13 Sep 20, 2008
Its me again, games over for today, I still love thick meat!!!, Eddies gonna give it to me later
Margaret

Morganton, NC

#14 Sep 21, 2008
Ms. Joyce Poplin, can you please explain your position on this situation that happend under your watch?
Dean wrote:
Nebo elementary i'm sure.
yeah, just let a teacher ride a motorcycle right in the gym during an assembly.
no safety concerns there, even with a student on there with HER.
Nebo elementary.

yeah, just lets this female teacher ride HER motorcycle right in the gym during a student assembly.

Kids were having somekind of elections.
Yeah. That was fair.
question for Brian Piercy

Morganton, NC

#15 Oct 19, 2008
do you support Dr. Ira Trollinger?

yes or no...

not complicated.

yes, or, no...
Better Left Unsaid

Richmond, VA

#16 Oct 19, 2008
You Morganton piece of shit. You suck. Please die. Get hooked on Meth and kill yourself. It will be so cool when your spleen finally explodes and you die. I am so sick of your trashy foolishness. Everyone on the whole planet hates you. You suck. Die, now, not later.
POOR

Morganton, NC

#17 Oct 19, 2008
Better Left Unsaid wrote:
You Morganton piece of shit. You suck. Please die. Get hooked on Meth and kill yourself. It will be so cool when your spleen finally explodes and you die. I am so sick of your trashy foolishness. Everyone on the whole planet hates you. You suck. Die, now, not later.
BETTER LEFT UNSAID

WERE YOU NOT LOVED AS A CHILD?

DID YOUR MOMMY OR DADDY NOT GIVE YOU THE ATTENTION YOU DESIRED & CRAVED?

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE HOSTILITY?

ALL MORGANTON HAS DONE IS ASK A FEW QUESTIONS.

Since: Oct 08

Marion, NC

#18 Oct 21, 2008
call me Hal wrote:
The Stevens lady had a child who was paddled to the point that bruises were left across the young man's posterior.
If she had spanked her son to the point that bruises were left across his posterior The Department of Social Services would be asking her some questions.......why then grant the clemmency to school staff? Is the displinary action not the same. Or is it different because we think all parents are incapable of displining their own child. With such a double standard it seems that distrust in the school system is justified.
Better Left Unsaid

Richmond, VA

#19 Oct 22, 2008
No, I don't really want you to die. I was exaggerating. If I had my 'druthers, you'd give your life to Jesus. All I really want is for you to stop trolling and flaming.
Trolls and flames seem to get all teh pleasure in their lives by making other peolle miserable. It's an easy trap to fall into. Suddenly it becomes the most important pursuit in your life.
Like everyone else on this forum, I have watched you troll, month after month, making the wildest, most prurient and sensational accusations against a very hard working lady. It's not nice. It's a filthy, disgusting habit.
You never ever offer any proof at all, you just obsess day after day about her. It tells the community that you are sick, if not evil. Then, you implied a threat to her safety, with a comment about you know where she is and what she is doing. THAT, my Morganton friend, is pure evil. You truly should be ashamed, and you should change. You should stop doing that and you should alter, modify and improve your personality and character.
That is all.
Erik

Marion, NC

#20 Oct 25, 2008
scoop wrote:
...what about the idiot principal that let a teacher ride her motorcycle into a gynasium during some recent student elections !?!?!?
oh, did we mention a child was on the bike with her ???
Wow, a principal let a teacher ride a motorcycle into the gym? How cool!!

Can you please tell me how that's bad or dangerous? You do know motorcycles can go 1 mile per hour if the driver wants, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
meth girls 4 hr toomuch 3
Emmy Furr 4 hr marion55 1
Emmy Furr (Mar '14) 4 hr marion55 10
RJC the next Craig Stephen Hicks 7 hr Cliven 141
drugs on the street 7 hr Ashley E 10
stupid people really making me mad! 8 hr LADY 24
Fred Dee 12 hr yaya 2
Marion Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web