Candidates, Should Police Chief live in the City?

Posted in the Marion Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Sep 6, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
downtown outbound

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

The online city code says the police chief must live in the city limits. Someone posting as "Dentist" says the code was changed in 1967 and the chief does not have to live in the city. If you are running for office in the City in November, what is your position on this? Let's see if any candidate will make a stand.

“Kiss it!”

Since: Jul 09

Floating in the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

Up to date 2008
Taz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

I'm not a candidate, but what does it matter if the chief does or does not live in the city limits?- Going to disqualify someone who would be the best choice just because they live outside the city limits?- That is limiting your options isn't it? Will forcing the chief to live in the city make them do a better job?
ava

Alexis, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Taz wrote:
I'm not a candidate, but what does it matter if the chief does or does not live in the city limits?- Going to disqualify someone who would be the best choice just because they live outside the city limits?- That is limiting your options isn't it? Will forcing the chief to live in the city make them do a better job?
No but it would make them closer to the area they are sworn to protect in the event of an after hours emergency. FYI Fire Chief, Asst. Fire Chied and all fire fighters use to have to live in the area they served. It is called accessibility.
Just_Reading

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

I'm not a candidate either. But my question would be...does he have a take home car? If so then I think all his officers should get to take their cars home as well. Everybody should have to play by the rule, and not exempt just the Chief.
gonepostal

Milton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Ava you are so right. It gets to me when the people serving us (ie. police, sheriff, deputys and so on) dont even live in the county. Makes me feel like our money is good enough for them but our county is good enought to live in
Need Answers

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

ava wrote:
<quoted text>
No but it would make them closer to the area they are sworn to protect in the event of an after hours emergency. FYI Fire Chief, Asst. Fire Chied and all fire fighters use to have to live in the area they served. It is called accessibility.
Yeah. Live in town. If you work for the Fire Department, they might slide ya a "little somethin' somethin' on side. AND you won't have to pay it back.

Right Jimmy?

Since: Aug 09

Boscobel, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

One good reason for having to live in the city would be he would have to live by the codes and laws he enforces, if he lives outside the city then those codes wouldn't apply to him. So he wouldn't have to look his fellow citizen and neighbor in the eye and say I have to live by the same code and it gets deeper but you get the idea.Yes I think he should live inside the city someone with that kind of authority over me should be neighbor or at least a citizen in the city.

“Kiss it!”

Floating in the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Cal57 is right, an officer be it police, sheriff or what ever should live in their district and be obligated by the laws they enforce.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Since the city hired the current chief out of county, I don't see why it matters where he lives. How many of the current officers and detectives live inside the city limits.

To require someone to actually live inside the city limits to have a job is ridiculous. How many people in this county drive to another one to work?

“Distrust Elected Officials ”

Since: Apr 08

Rutherfordton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Judged:

anywho_1 wrote:
Since the city hired the current chief out of county, I don't see why it matters where he lives. How many of the current officers and detectives live inside the city limits.
To require someone to actually live inside the city limits to have a job is ridiculous. How many people in this county drive to another one to work?
How would you feel if the govenor of NC lived in Virginia? How would you feel in the mayor of Marion lived in Black Mountain?(Well they may actually be a good thing when you compare Marion and Black Mountain but you get my point-maybe)
gonepostal

Milton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

anywho1, Ridiculous are you for real? It only makes since. Like others are saying how can he inforce laws that he doesn't even have obey. Good point we wouldn't want our govener or mayor living in another state or town. Heck in that case let Obama move to another country and still run ours.
As for the other ppl working outside of the county its no bug deal as long as they don't have jobs that tells the ppl of that county what laws to obey.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

gonepostal wrote:
anywho1, Ridiculous are you for real? It only makes since. Like others are saying how can he inforce laws that he doesn't even have obey. Good point we wouldn't want our govener or mayor living in another state or town. Heck in that case let Obama move to another country and still run ours.
As for the other ppl working outside of the county its no bug deal as long as they don't have jobs that tells the ppl of that county what laws to obey.
Governors and mayors are elected officials who MUST reside in the area they run for. The police chief is not an elected office. That is the difference. Why does it matter. The laws of the city are the same laws everywhere. There is a Black Mountain officer that lives in Stump Town not to mention a few who have left law enforcement here to work in other towns or counties.
downtown outbound

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

anywho_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Governors and mayors are elected officials who MUST reside in the area they run for. The police chief is not an elected office. That is the difference. Why does it matter. The laws of the city are the same laws everywhere. There is a Black Mountain officer that lives in Stump Town not to mention a few who have left law enforcement here to work in other towns or counties.
I was unaware the city of marion code applied throughout the county

“Kiss it!”

Floating in the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

anyonewho is right there are officers who live in this county and work for other counties and use that counties vehicle and fuel to travel from work to home and back. Due to insurance looks like the vehicle would have to stay in the jurisdiction.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

downtown outbound wrote:
<quoted text>
I was unaware the city of marion code applied throughout the county
My post wasn't about the city code. Gonepostal had stated that the chief wouldn't have to obey the laws that he was hired to enforce. I simply replied that the laws are the same no matter where he lives.

Boscobel, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

anywho_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My post wasn't about the city code. Gonepostal had stated that the chief wouldn't have to obey the laws that he was hired to enforce. I simply replied that the laws are the same no matter where he lives.
Nope cities adopt different civil codes or modify to suite.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

Cal57 wrote:
<quoted text>Nope cities adopt different civil codes or modify to suite.
That still doesn't mean that the police chief (no matter where his house is) doesn't have to obey the laws of the land. Most people on here are posting as if he is only accountable for the laws passed inside the city limits.

Boscobel, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

anywho_1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That still doesn't mean that the police chief (no matter where his house is) doesn't have to obey the laws of the land. Most people on here are posting as if he is only accountable for the laws passed inside the city limits.
All of us are suppose to live by the laws of the land but if I live in the city of Marion and they adopt codes or modify the codes then we are indeed different so that police chief and his employee's should have to live under those same codes if they are not residence of that city then they don't. I think you are missing the point.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

Ok then, if you guys think the chief should live inside the city limits then so should all the other city employees. There shouldn't be a double standard. Let's all fight for the city council to pass a law requiring ALL city employees to buy or rent a home inside the city.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Marion, NC 2 hr Mea Maxima Culpa 4
who shot lional Ferguson 2 hr Ignorance isa dis... 18
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 3 hr Red Square 58,069
yous a ho 4 hr whoo 2
Marinol Rx? 5 hr Beverly 4
Obame Sucks & Americans Know It! 5 hr ginagoller 7
jv baseball 7 hr NO WAY 10

Search the Marion Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Marion Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••