TAR AND GRAVEL ??? DOT Street / Road...

TAR AND GRAVEL ??? DOT Street / Road Paving in McDowell

Posted in the Marion Forum

McDowell County Homeowner

Lyman, SC

#1 Jul 23, 2009
Why did our street go from nice blacktop asphalt to a cheap tar and gravel mix applied by our DOT rather than Maymead.

While this is not an upscale sub-division, we had nice painted lines and blacktop now friends and family would think we live on a gravel road. Even when worn in this is definitely going to affect our property values and give the appearance of a less desirable neighborhood. Not to mention the new paint chips in our car from the gravel that comes up off this new treatment.

I realize this is a cheaper road treatment but its not going to be as durable and will have to be replaced much more frequently and be more apt to need repair.

We see other road work in neighborhoods getting true blacktop asphalt treatment and wonder why our tax dollars are not as good as theirs ?

Who and what determines who gets real pavement vs. this poor substitute ?

Most neighbors I have spoken to would have preferred nothing at all compared to the mess that has been made. In speaking to one neighbor he has contacted the state and local DOT engineers office but the answering system doesn't even acknowledge you have reached the right number, nor has he received a callback as requested.

This sure seems unfair and who will compensate for all the property value lost ? Will our taxes now drop that our property values have been reduced?

I also have a motorcycle and this mix was more than a little dangerous. If I had lost control going from real pavement to this cheap mix would would be responsible ? Signage indicates UNMARKED PAVEMENT AHEAD, but honestly it should read unmarked loose gravel ahead.

Some neighbors think this was a repair under-layment for asphalt to come but its the DOT's intent to leave it as is.

“Distrust Elected Officials ”

Since: Apr 08

Rutherfordton

#2 Jul 23, 2009
What street(s)?
west marion native

Lyman, SC

#3 Jul 23, 2009
I am guessing McDowell County Homeowner is talking about Veteran's drive. That's where I live and am wondering the same thing.
west marion native

Lyman, SC

#4 Jul 23, 2009
i sure can't imagine that being done to plantation point, or the arbor, but its ok to give us second rate cause its in west marion ? if it was upgrading from a non-paved road then sure its better but to go from blacktop to this is ridiculous
Marion taxpayer

Lyman, SC

#5 Jul 23, 2009
if everyone on Veteran's Drive or connecting roads created a petition would that get the state DOT to listen and give us back our blacktop and painted lines on our roads??? i too have had to deal with new chips on my car from the latest attempt at roadwork on Veteran's drive, granted my car is old but i still try to take care of it and would have turned around but have no back way into my home except for driving on Veteran's

Since: Jun 08

Marion,NC

#6 Jul 23, 2009
I think it is called service asphalt. It is common practice in the northeast. The only question I have about Veterans Drive , is wth did it take so long ?

Since: Jun 09

United States

#7 Jul 23, 2009
Same on my street. It used to be nicely paved, now we get the awesome new stuff.

Their process:

1. They spray a thin layer of asphalt.
2. They dump gravel all down the road.
3. They spray another thin layer of asphalt.
4. They expect us to pack it in, and wear it down.

I live right off a main road to the lake,(close to Wildlife), and you'd think you'd want the rich people to see a nicely paved road.
john

Gaffney, SC

#8 Jul 23, 2009
the arbor and other such gated comm. are not state maintained. They are privatly owned and payed for out of there own pocket.
McDowell County Homeowner

Lyman, SC

#9 Jul 24, 2009
The treatment is not asphalt. It is a tar and gravel substitute called an asphalt treatment. It's primary purpose is to serve as a repair and/or temporary patch. I think its called "AST" "Asphalt Surfacing Treatment".

I plan on researching some more but the Arbor, Cobblestone, Cross Creek, Plantation Point, etc. are all originally owned and maintained by the property owners. However, once a certain number of homes are in those sub-divisions it is the goal of the developers to have the state take over road maintenance. I believe in most if not all of those cases mentioned the state has already taken the maintenance over on those sub-divisions. Putting what appears to be a gatehouse does not automatically make it a "GATED COMMUNITY" and keep the state from maintaining the roadways. The McDowell County Sub-Division Ordinance ensures roadways will meet the specifications required by the state in order to take over maintenance at a later time.

I was in Burke recently and paving in two communities I visited were blacktop asphalt and not this "AST" treatment. I still want to know the rhyme or reason for street A getting "AST" and street B having true asphalt applied.

I guess myself and a few of our neighbors want McDowell roads treated the same as Mecklenburg, Buncombe, or Burke roads with regards to the maintenance they receive.
john

Gaffney, SC

#10 Jul 24, 2009
I do a lot of wrk in most of the gated comm. around the lake, and they are not in any way maintained by the state. I see the crews that are out there and they take very well care of the roads and drainage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Treasure at the Dump 3 hr Alex 22
The Way The Truth and The Life (Nov '08) 3 hr bibleman 352
Branch's diesel service 5 hr Steven Lunsford 37
Trump Voters Screwed Themselves & The Rest of Us (Mar '17) 8 hr Alex 1,946
Erica noell braswell. (Gets around) 8 hr Ewww 8
Sarah Joyner 8 hr Ewww 4
walmart employees? 20 hr sarah 1

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance