Train at the bottom of Lake James

Train at the bottom of Lake James

Posted in the Marion Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Curiosity killed the Cat

Asheville, NC

#1 Feb 17, 2014
Ok so I was wondering. I've heard my whole life how there is a train at the bottom of Lake James . Also was told there is a town at the bottom.Is it true? Either one . Or is an it urban legend kinda thing ? Or perhaps factoid ......a factoid is something repeated so often people take it as fact. Like the George Washington and the cherry tree thing. That's not true but it's something people say all the time.
Lol

Asheville, NC

#3 Feb 18, 2014
I always heard that they find alligators in there every once I awhile lol. You know there has to be a dead body in that's never been found. Has to be. That waters gross I wouldn't eat a fish out of it.
nothing there now

Greer, SC

#4 Feb 18, 2014
No train. There were a few shaks and maybe a a couple houses if they didn't get pushed over, but they rotted away by now.
however

Cary, NC

#5 Feb 19, 2014
My grandmother talked of a train at the bottom of Lake James. She and her family lived there before it became a lake and her family worked to construct the spillway. She told us that there was an engine that was left because there was no way to get it out and it was needed to move material. She said that alot of stuff was left and now under the lake.
drained

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Feb 19, 2014
They drained lake James didn't they? So I'm sure they removed any rotted houses if there was any. I heard there was a whole town there.
Heard that 2

Asheville, NC

#7 Feb 19, 2014
Yes I heard there was a train and a town at the bottom of the lake. You have to think how deep the lake is too. I'd love to be able to see what's down there and even if some of the wood has rotted you'd still find other evidence of a town. I don't think it's ever been drained. When it got really low from drought people found all kinds if things. I found a big skeleton of what appeared to be a cow. Someone else found a safe from somebody's home that got flooded during that bad flood. It's very interesting.
Heard that 3

Raleigh, NC

#8 Feb 19, 2014
Heard that 2 wrote:
Yes I heard there was a train and a town at the bottom of the lake. You have to think how deep the lake is too. I'd love to be able to see what's down there and even if some of the wood has rotted you'd still find other evidence of a town. I don't think it's ever been drained. When it got really low from drought people found all kinds if things. I found a big skeleton of what appeared to be a cow. Someone else found a safe from somebody's home that got flooded during that bad flood. It's very interesting.
OH MY GOSH! YOU FOUND A COW SKELETON!
THAT'S VERY INTERESTING.
NOT.
You must be 12 or stupid

Asheville, NC

#9 Feb 19, 2014
Heard that 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
OH MY GOSH! YOU FOUND A COW SKELETON!
THAT'S VERY INTERESTING.
NOT.
Wow...... What a burn. Somebody has been watching Teen Mom too much. Poor little dummy. Never reproduce and if you already have I feel sorry for your kid.
You must be 12 or stupid

Asheville, NC

#10 Feb 19, 2014
All Caps too. That's means you were saying it extra loud. Go lay down in your single wide trailer. Go fry something. Dye your hair black. Lose some more brain cells you really need to hang onto. Poor dummy.
however

Cary, NC

#11 Feb 20, 2014
No I have never seen the lake drained, it has been low. When the lake is low, really low a fish finder can pick up the tracks. they say that the depth of the lake where the town/homes was located is said to be at a dept were light does not go and the structures and train should still be perserved. When the lake was at it lowest point a few years ago the area was still over 200 ft deep. there was a drowning near there a few years ago and a special sonar was used from another county tracks were could be seen in some area others were still too deep. there was also a grave yard that was covered. There is no telling the stuff that is in that lake there are several really deep areas.

Since: Jul 12

Barnardsville, NC

#12 Feb 20, 2014
Lol wrote:
I always heard that they find alligators in there every once I awhile lol. You know there has to be a dead body in that's never been found. Has to be. That waters gross I wouldn't eat a fish out of it.
I've also heard about alligators been seen in or around Lake James. It is a man made lake so as far as train tracks or a small town that they used for transporting supplies in an out I do believe there are bodies that have never been recovered and also all the construction things that has been left and settled at the bottom of the lake James. So many things that could be down there that needs to be explored.. Just my opinion..

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#13 Mar 21, 2014
There are many things at the bottom of Lake James. Sometimes when the water is low, if you drive past the lake where that campground is on Hankins, you can see the steeple of a church protruding from the water. It's wild. I believe in the possibility of unrecovered bodies but the thing about alligators is definitely bullshit.
fisher man

Maxton, NC

#14 Mar 21, 2014
There was a alligator in lake hickory a few years back someone pet they didn't want anymore.I have always heard of a town and graveyard at the bottom of the lake and I have heard there is huge catfish the size of refrigerators
Mr MeToo

Asheville, NC

#15 Mar 22, 2014
fisher man wrote:
There was a alligator in lake hickory a few years back someone pet they didn't want anymore.I have always heard of a town and graveyard at the bottom of the lake and I have heard there is huge catfish the size of refrigerators
Yes I've heard about the catfish as big as cars. I'd love to see what's down there. It's crazy to think there could be all that stuff down there.
Mike

Denver, NC

#17 May 21, 2014
Curiosity killed the Cat wrote:
Ok so I was wondering. I've heard my whole life how there is a train at the bottom of Lake James . Also was told there is a town at the bottom.Is it true? Either one . Or is an it urban legend kinda thing ? Or perhaps factoid ......a factoid is something repeated so often people take it as fact. Like the George Washington and the cherry tree thing. That's not true but it's something people say all the time.
Did you ever find out anything more about this?
Colt45 2zigzags

United States

#18 May 23, 2014
The big catfish is just a fat chick that could no longer fit in the electric carts at Wal Mart, who went to live the hermit life in the woods around Lake James. She sold her soul to Satan for the ability to breathe underwater as well as on land.
OhCrap

Nebo, NC

#19 May 31, 2014
All this stupidity cannot be blamed on the school system. Inbreeding in McDowell County is at a all time high. Girls are not safe around her fathers and brothers.
john

Asheville, NC

#21 Mar 20, 2015
Mr MeToo wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I've heard about the catfish as big as cars. I'd love to see what's down there. It's crazy to think there could be all that stuff down there.
hurd the same thang only volkswagon posibly
railroad

Burnsville, NC

#22 Mar 21, 2015
Curiosity killed the Cat wrote:
Ok so I was wondering. I've heard my whole life how there is a train at the bottom of Lake James . Also was told there is a town at the bottom.Is it true? Either one . Or is an it urban legend kinda thing ? Or perhaps factoid ......a factoid is something repeated so often people take it as fact. Like the George Washington and the cherry tree thing. That's not true but it's something people say all the time.
This might soud odd, but how can a train work under water?
Meredith

United States

#23 Oct 3, 2015
fisher man wrote:
There was a alligator in lake hickory a few years back someone pet they didn't want anymore.I have always heard of a town and graveyard at the bottom of the lake and I have heard there is huge catfish the size of refrigerators
There are catfish that big down there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Bartlet 6 hr MountainMama 5
april mathis 7 hr No name 6
Meth dealer in Stumptown 8 hr Pudge 8
Married white woman...attracted to different ra... 8 hr Lisa 29
Holly gouge 10 hr No name 1
Trump Voters Screwed Themselves & The Rest of Us 10 hr Old geezer 260
Faith Hensley (Mar '13) 11 hr Jenny 32

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marion Mortgages