mec graduate

Herndon, VA

#41 Sep 1, 2012
well... I graduated from the EC in 2011 i can tell you first hand its a wonderful program. I still got to play basketball which i really enjoyed. We had proms which were probably 1000 times better than the highschools due to the fact that it wasnt extremely crowded. The schools so small that you feel like brothers and sisters.
Were there bad parts to the EC? Well of course there was but you'll find that anywhere. The worst thing i can think of was the fact that i could have probably sneezed in one class and because the school was so small everyone would have known about it before that class was over. Yeah there was drama but nothing extremely huge.
Laptops.... Okay let me put this in a way everyone can understand... Everything involves technolgy now. So having a computer helps. Almost ever paper you turn in needs to be typed... Well you couldnt use the excuse you didnt have a computer. This also cut back on carrying around a 50 pound book bag.
College classes werent easy but we got them done. Yeah our relationships with the college teachers were great. The students may not have liked us but who gives a flying flip.
In all EC was a great program. I wish all the students the best. I always recomend applying.
fdnajklfh

Candler, NC

#42 Sep 2, 2012
Your just jelly because you didnt have the opportunity to get in.
mec graduate

Herndon, VA

#43 Sep 3, 2012
i clearly got in if i graduated
Ridiculous

United States

#44 Sep 5, 2012
I go up there for college classes and the early college students are always walking around campus or sitting in the cafeteria or on the lawn seems ridiculous
ProudMECStudent

Marion, NC

#45 Sep 6, 2012
Ridiculous wrote:
I go up there for college classes and the early college students are always walking around campus or sitting in the cafeteria or on the lawn seems ridiculous
Okay, I go to the early college. I apologize that we sit places. Woah! Didn't realize sitting around campus would cause you a disturbance. Hope your education hasn't been effected by seeing students sitting in the cafe and outside. I will think twice before I sit somewhere at the college again.

Ignorent people, I swear.

“Anasasis Xenophontis.”

Since: Dec 08

over there.

#46 Sep 6, 2012
ProudMECStudent wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I go to the early college. I apologize that we sit places. Woah! Didn't realize sitting around campus would cause you a disturbance. Hope your education hasn't been effected by seeing students sitting in the cafe and outside. I will think twice before I sit somewhere at the college again.
Ignorent people, I swear.
see I'm not making this up. I have talked to professors about this. Nearly seventy percent of the kids are very disruptful. Test..go to the cafe around twelve...then go to the cafe around five.you'll notice the noise diff right off. People go to college for college not hs.
Random Dude

Greenville, SC

#47 Sep 6, 2012
ProudMECStudent, check your spelling. If you are going to call people ignorant, at least spell it correctly.
ProudMECSenior20 13

United States

#48 Sep 6, 2012
I attend McDowell Early College and I can honestly say it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Being at MEC has helped me mature so much, take learning into my own hands, and become a more responsible person. Just because you have a problem with a few immature kids doesn't mean you have the right to judge MEC as a whole. You know there are students there who DO take it seriously, and take advantage of the many opportunites that are handed to them. I don't know about you, but me nor my parents would be able to sh*t out money for all of the college classes I'm getting for practicly free. We are all family at the EC and I wouldn't change coming to MEC for anything.
graduating senior 2013

Marion, NC

#49 Sep 6, 2012
Hey all i have to say is that i am PPRRROOOUUUDDDD to me part of the best school in McDowell county "McDowell Early College." and I can honestly also say that is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
UnInformed

Burnsville, NC

#50 Sep 11, 2012
Gone downhill since all the good teachers left.
Huh Huh

Asheville, NC

#51 Sep 14, 2012
Its only for the chosen students. If they arent good students the MEC weeds them out - wont accept them. They recruit the students they want. They will tell you that its all chosen random by some place in greensboro but they preselect who applications they send to greensboro.
Victor

Weaverville, NC

#52 Sep 24, 2012
sevenSecrets wrote:
ok. so ec is alright...but there is the harold smith as well. i went to tech before i transfered and i can tell you, the mec kids act way to much like kids. at least 70 percent of them act as if there entitled and better than normal college students. your not. im sorry. i witnessed alot of yelling, disruption, cell phone use during class, and a big disregard to the prime opportunity they are given. you prepare yourself for "life" just like any hs student would. Actually id place a hs senior more equipped for life than most mec kids.
"Actually, we have done some pretty great senior pranks including covering the principals office in stickie notes, and saran wrapping our teachers brand new car. We have plenty of teenage time. I have many college friends also, so please mind your own.:) " you apparently need to mature more to be in an adult atmosphere.
"You to me sound like an ignorant fool who needs to get their facts straight. "
how arrogant.
Hello, my name is Victor, I've been around the school at MEC. And I have a question for you, do you remember in high school? Were you serious about it? Because if you were, I bet that you wouldn't be in a community college like MTCC. These kids can't live life by nothing but school. If you go to the high school I bet that it would be even louder and there will be even more people texting in class. Most of the teachers down at the high school don't even care. Please stop being selfish and harassing the students and focus on your studies. And they have a right to act as if they have a huge ego. All 40 of the new freshmen got in out of hundreds applying. So it's a big deal, I say let them be as cocky as they want. Cause by the end of 5 years they'll already have 2 years of college done.

“Anasasis Xenophontis.”

over there.

#53 Sep 25, 2012
Victor wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, my name is Victor, I've been around the school at MEC. And I have a question for you, do you remember in high school? Were you serious about it? Because if you were, I bet that you wouldn't be in a community college like MTCC. These kids can't live life by nothing but school. If you go to the high school I bet that it would be even louder and there will be even more people texting in class. Most of the teachers down at the high school don't even care. Please stop being selfish and harassing the students and focus on your studies. And they have a right to act as if they have a huge ego. All 40 of the new freshmen got in out of hundreds applying. So it's a big deal, I say let them be as cocky as they want. Cause by the end of 5 years they'll already have 2 years of college done.
point being is that in hs that is the norm...and that I shouldn't have to deal with it at college. Therein being an adult educational atmosphere. And are you a kid trying to lecture me on why kids should be allowed in a college atmosphere? I graduated mtcc and now pursuing a md...but I ain't. Getting an ego over it...anyone with a huge ego is normallly a child or a person who needs to grow up.

“Anasasis Xenophontis.”

over there.

#54 Sep 25, 2012
Also...I was serious about hs child. When you grow up and have finances to worry about...come talk to me about where I should be getting into school. I got accepted to warren wilson...but did I or my parents have a college tuition saved up...nope so I had to deal with reality and go the cheaper route of college transfer. See. You could learn something.
Enough

Asheville, NC

#55 Sep 30, 2012
sevenSecrets wrote:
Also...I was serious about hs child. When you grow up and have finances to worry about...come talk to me about where I should be getting into school. I got accepted to warren wilson...but did I or my parents have a college tuition saved up...nope so I had to deal with reality and go the cheaper route of college transfer. See. You could learn something.
Listen, I know you're trying to tell the early college kids what's what, but you have to realize, they ARE kids. They will not have to worry about finances (some seniors are actually living alone, though), they are getting a jump start on their education, which is fantastic to me because some people do not have that type of willpower. I have a daughter enrolled in early college (she is a senior), and I see her come home practically every day stressed her overload of classes, but she still manages to come out with an A. When she was in 9th grade, she made As, Bs, and Cs. 10th grade, she made As and Bs. 11th she made all As and as a senior, she is heading down the same path. If McDowell Early College hasnt effected one child, it has at least helped mine.
Theproblem

Spartanburg, SC

#56 Oct 3, 2012
The problem with Early college is the way things are run. The teachers are wonderful people, a few of them may not appeal to everyone but that's no different than you would find at any other school. The students are treated like adults as long as they want to act like adults, the thing is they let in a ton of students that are not prepared for that mindset and environment change. Majority of these students are not prepared to be on an adult campus every day. They let in just about anyone, and that's where the big problem is. It's a random selection to get in to the program, so many of the students that get in do not deserve to be there. They act out constantly, don't appreciate it, and don't have the maturity to have a decent experience. If they manage to make it for a few years, they'll figure things out, sure. The change is just too drastic for most kids and that becomes misfortune for any MTCC students that have to have classed with many of these early college students.
Basically the program has faults that we can only hope get fixed in the near future. Otherwise, the older MEC students really seem to care about their success and work hard. Most of them are mature and come out of the program more prepared for the college world than many High School students do. You can't blame the program entirely for any unfortunate cases where a students doesn't do well after they graduate. It's ultimately the students place to take responsibility and step it up after graduation. MEC may not be the best program at the moment, but it has the potential to be the best academic program in our school system.
MECKidsRock

Charlotte, NC

#57 Nov 18, 2012
tori wrote:
<quoted text>
In MY PERSONAL OPINION Early College Kids are social rejects who didn't fit in at high-school. They get in the way at college. You guys are teenagers for goodness sakes. You need a place to be teenagers....and that's not college. It's highschool. You ever see anyone pull a Senior Prank at an Early College?? Umm nope!
We do senior pranks all the time. Social rejects who don't fit in at the High School? Not hardly. We just get a better learning experience.
Early College Kid

Hermitage, TN

#58 Sep 9, 2013
Mtcc wrote:
Early college kids are not prepared for college. High school is a necessary preparation not only for academics but social skills too! Even McDowell Tech Instructors will tell you that. They get in the way, and they miss out on life! Kids need to kids. Life is too short to rush anyways.
Lol. You obviously have never been to the Early College, we definitely still act like kids. It's just (most) act semi professional in their college classes. I've made more friends and "been a kid" more here then at any other school. There is a very "fun" atmosphere; just this summer we went on a trip with the teachers and they ended up rolling around on the floor.(please note: Just because we act like goof balls alot doesn't mean we don't still work hard)
Early College Kid

Hermitage, TN

#59 Sep 9, 2013
Ridiculous wrote:
Umm, I'm sorry for sitting?
Early College Kid

Hermitage, TN

#60 Sep 9, 2013
sevenSecrets wrote:
<quoted text>see I'm not making this up. I have talked to professors about this. Nearly seventy percent of the kids are very disruptful. Test..go to the cafe around twelve...then go to the cafe around five.you'll notice the noise diff right off. People go to college for college not hs.
Which teachers and how did you measure out seventy percent? I work hard to be respectful and keep good relations with my college teachers. Also, yes the café is loud but not just because of Early College kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crane resistoflex 1 hr simondaddy 3
Drk blu Camaro (new) 4 hr Yep 6
What really happened to the steak house? 4 hr nobody 15
Lacey (EthanAllen) 18 hr Lonnie84 7
Michael Cox 19 hr clerk 2
dycos cleaning service for Baxter (May '15) 19 hr Christine 13
Favorite Places To Eat 21 hr tasha 4

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance